Start by marking “The Mission Of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart For Eternity” as Want to Read:
The Mission Of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart For Eternity

The Mission Of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart For Eternity

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  99 reviews
A Fresh Vision for Motherhood

-Do you long for your home to be life-giving and peaceful?
-Is it your desire to pass on a legacy of righteousness to your children?
-Do you struggle to balance the duties of motherhood with a loving relationship with your children?
-Would you like creative ideas for keeping your child’s heart open to you and to the Lord?

No calling is greater, nob
Published January 21st 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Mission Of Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mission Of Motherhood

Traci
I found this book inspiring and spot-on in the philosophy and vision of motherhood that Clarkson shares in the first couple of chapters. However, as I continued reading, I found myself becoming overwhelmed and a little disheartened, as well as a little skeptical that all the things that come up in family relationships and child-rearing could be solved with a cup of tea and a heart-to-heart, as seems to be frequently suggested throughout the compounding list of what being a wholehearted mother en ...more
Kori
This is a must-read for moms.

I was a depressed mom when my children were tiny. I felt like everyday was "Groundhog Day"...looking at the 4-walls of my home and doing laundry, diapers & dishes 24/7 and barely keeping up. I was existing and not really living.

My pastor's wife introduced me to Sally Clarkson's mom's conferences and books and it absolutely changed my life and perspective as a mom. I now love every moment with my precious children and realize that I have the most important respon
Ashley Katsuyama
I really liked the first half of the book, then it all started to get a little too lofty for me. Clarkson makes some very good points about the value of staying home with your kids and being a fully committed mother. As a SAHM myself, I fully agree, and though she catches heat for her stance, I think that it is both biblically relative and based in sound judgement. However, partway into the book she really starts to harp in on having things like teas with the family and lighting candles, reading ...more
Becky
This book is full of practical helps and wisdom for raising children. Very challenging, motivating and encouraging. Sally shares many personal stories from raising her 4 children that encouraged me to be purposeful and meaningful in everything that I do with my children.

Each chapter ends with thoughts and reflections where Sally shares more personal stories, practical challenges and scripture that speaks to the theme of the chapter.

Here are a few of many noteworthy quotes throughout the book:

"
Lydia
A beautifully written and truly touching book about the importance of being a wholehearted mother committed to raising our children according to God’s standards. It is so easy to become frustrated and feel as though our efforts are in vain—but that is a lie from the devil. Our efforts are not in vain. Staying at home with our children, talking to them about the love of God, just being with them, playing with them, praying with them and for them, loving them wholeheartedly, and training and instr ...more
Jacinta Read
I was dubious about this at first because in the past I have overdosed on Christian life-help books and then made a conscious effort to avoid them for a while. This was the first one after a long break. It helped to read the author's profile on Amazon, and to chat with ppl who were more familiar with her work. She really does seem to live out what she's written about and I think that's no small feat.
It did grab me though, and seeing as being a mum is really the most important thing for me, this
Darcy
I found this book had some good insight on mothering, but it was very overwhelming. I read this with my book club and most of them quit reading it because they felt it was against working moms. I stay home with my children and was left feeling I'm not doing enough for them after reading this book. My children were 1 and 2 at the time I read this and found a lot of what she talked about wasn't something I could relate to.
Amy
This was not a life-changing book for me or my style of mothering. It simply served as a stay-at-home mom pep rally when I needed to be reminded of why I was staying at home (law degree notwithstanding). It is charming in its simplicity and truly offered insight into how mothers serve God by taking the time to lovingly raise our children as God intended.
Jessica
I don't think I have ever been so nervous to start a book. And I don't think I have read a better book for mothers. She just got me and my situation, my fears and insecurities, my unfounded feelings of guilt and my concern that I wasn't enough for my husband, myself or for my children. You see I am a stay-at-home mom who also is a free lance editor and writer...from home. And every time that I am writing or working I feel like I should be giving my undivided attention to my children, but when I ...more
Paula
Jan 28, 2009 Paula is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition

While this book sometimes makes me feel like I fall far short of the "mark" as a mother, it also inspires me to pray for changes in my own heart so that I can be a better mom.
Jamie
This is beautiful, inspiring, challenging, encouraging. Read it!
Susan
A few times every year, I read a book like Sally Clarkson's The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity. I find most of these parenting books very similar, and I can't remember a specific gem I've gotten from any of them. Their information is basic: spend time with your kids. Love them. Give up your own desires to nurture theirs. Pray for them. Etc. I find that reading books like this is kind of like breathing pure oxygen - even though it's nothing new, it's still refresh ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Reading The Mission of Motherhood is like sitting down for a long, warm conversation with a friend. Sally's approach is compassionate and affectionate no matter whether her words are bringing hope and encouragement or some humbling challenge. I felt loved from cover to cover as she taught God's truth as well as applied it to the stage of motherhood that I am in and that any mother reading this book is currently going through. I felt that Sally - in her written words - came along side a
Katie Casey
Must read for every Mom who wants to raise her children in a God-honoring way. Inspiring, encouraging, and not at all overwhelming or guilt-giving like some mothering books.

"And the fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully." (4
Christina
I really loved this book- it's built towards an individual or even a group study with Bible passages for further study and practical applications at the end of each chapter. It's a biblical parenting book, focused on the parent's heart attitude and spiritual growth instead of a particular parenting "strategy". There are great suggestions in this book and parts of it reminded me of Robert Wolgemuth's "The Most Important Place on Earth", which I also love.

The reason I gave this book 4 stars instea
Laura Hix
I have been so convicted by the words on each page of this book. While my kids are grown, I'm helping each day of my life now, in raising grandchildren. I want to leave a lasting imprint on their lives of love and care and one of truth in Jesus Christ.
This book convicts me to be a better grandmother, AND Mother to my grown children, as well as a better wife to my husband and daughter to my father and sister to MY sister.
I adore my family and could no fathom my life without them.

I know that the
polly
Aug 14, 2008 polly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers
Shelves: parenting
This is a wonderful book. I have read 'parenting' books (piecemeal usually) that have to do w/ babies, issues surrounding them, etc but this book is for the mother of a child of any age and about building a legacy and impacting a child's heart. It is awesome--it covers everything from being a 'gardener of the soul' to a creative spirit/force...just super inspiring, flecked with nuggets of wisdom. I will be reading Sally C's other books posthaste!

One thing to note is that this book is written fo
Nettie
I love this book! There is a story in this book that really had me in tears which changed my perspective for life. The contents of the pages are true to the title of the book. I need to read it again. I've shared many principles within the book with other mothers who have appreciated the advice.
Amanda Mckinley
Sally Clarkson is one of my FAVORITE authors. Not because of her writing (although I think she's got a beautiful style) but because of what she SAYS. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. Everything in motherhood goes back to Jesus and our need for him. Powerful. Inspiring. Transformational.
Amy
I really really liked this book. It gave me encouragement and a new perspective at a time when I feel like I just don't know if I can do this. Of course I know I will do it (be a mother that is) because I have no choice, but I really want to do better than just be a mother. I want to be a good mother. I want to be the mother that God has designed me to be. And this book is just what I need. It is full of words of wisdom, words of encouragement, ideas for building a godly heritage in your family, ...more
Lizzy
helpful tips that link back to Scripture and practical questions/tips at the end of each chapter. A few of the chapters ramble a bit (like about introducing kids to the senses in nature), but overall good points.
Karen
I love Sally Clarkson, and her encouraging words for mothers and women.
Kara Larson
One of the best books on motherhood. Changed my heart!
Ginny
Nov 16, 2011 Ginny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christian mothers
Shelves: christian-life
This is the best book on Christian motherhood I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them. Sally challenges you at the same time she is encouraging you. So often when I would pick up this book, the words I would read would be just what I needed to hear. It was a great encouragement to me.

This would be a great book for a group to use, because there are scripture references and questions at the end of each chapter along suggestions to apply what was learned. This is one book I will read again.
Anne
I met the author last year and was impressed by her demeanor and what she had to say. Her book does not disappoint! She strongly believes that women are specially equipped by God to be mothers and this book is based on that belief. It's not a popular perspective these days, but she is very convincing in her compassion and clarity. This book changed my perspective of my goals and methods of mothering, and gave me a renewed purpose for these seemingly endless and fruitless days of infancy and todd ...more
Zinnada Hodges
I love Mrs. Clarkson' s heart. She gives a mother the right perspective on our calling as mothers. My only problem is I can't see me using this in an urban context because of how much detail she gives of her own life. The way she describes and talks about the things she has or has done was distracting. If one don't have the privilege to build their own home, live in the mountains, and drink tea, one would probably not want to read any more. I was tempted to stop often!! LOL
Caitlin
So much wisdom here.
Amy Daliege
As a very liberal Christian, I am sure that my beliefs are light years away from Sally Clarkson, but I still loved the peaceful, humble and gentle approach that she has toward parenting. I choose to ignore the few stabs at working mothers, I believe i can pour my soul into both parenting and my teaching career by using a lot of her methods. The book leaves me with the knowledge that parenting my two boys is a sacred gift. I see Christ in them every day!
Christabelle
I would recommend this to all moms! This really put mothering in a different perspective. Instead of being something I have to "endure" for a "time," I realized that motherhood is the mission God has given me right now>. It is also okay for me to enjoying it as my purpose! So often I wonder if I missed my calling, if there was something else I could have done or could be doing. This reminds me that the future is here and I am right where I should be.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect title listed 3 27 Jul 25, 2012 12:30AM
  • Grace Based Parenting: Set Your Family Free
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Loving Our Kids on Purpose: Making a Heart-To-Heart Connection
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
Sally Clarkson is the mother of four grown children who walk with God. She is the author of many books, including Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe and The Mission of Motherhood. She is the heart of her personal blog ITakeJoy.com, a popular speaker, and the director of Mom Heart Ministry, an initiative to inspire, encourage, and restore moms’ hearts to God’s heart for motherhood.
More about Sally Clarkson...
The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children Seasons of a Mothers Heart Own Your Life: How to Grow a Legacy of Faith, Love, and Spiritual Influence You Are Loved: Embracing the Everlasting Love God has for You Dancing with My Father: How God Leads Us into a Life of Grace and Joy

“I often must sacrifice my own needs and desires for the purpose of giving my children what they need and modeling for them the depths of Christ's love.

"...make myself available in the routine tasks and myriad interruptions of daily life b/c I believe it is God's will for me to serve my family through them.”
4 likes
“Make a list of some things your children like you to do with them but aren’t necessarily fun for you—playing a board game on the floor with a young child, going outside to throw a ball, sitting down with a child to read his or her creative story or to look at an artistic creation, and so on. Commit to saying yes to their requests instead of no, knowing that if you invest in what is important to them, they will be open to believing in what is important to you.” 2 likes