Start by marking “The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane #2)

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  8,014 ratings  ·  425 reviews
The sequel to Red-Headed Stepchild from USA Today Bestselling author Jaye Wells...

Sabina Kane doesn't have the best track record when it comes to family. After all, her own grandmother, the leader of the vampire race, just tried to kill her. When she arrives in New York to meet the mage side of her family, the reunion takes the fun out of dysfunctional.

On top of that, the
Published April 1st 2010 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mage in Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mage in Black

Carolyn (Book Chick City)
I gave this 7/10 on my blog: Book Chick City

This is the second book in the 'Sabina Kane' series by Jaye Wells, and although I enjoyed it very much 'The Mage in Black' didn't quite live up to my expectations of what I hoped would be a fantastic follow up to the brilliant 'Red-Headed Setpchild'.

It could have been that I preferred reading about the Vampire world present in the first book rather than the Mage world which was dominant in this book. It may have been the fact that there was less humour
AH
3.5 stars...

The Sabina Kane series is a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s not the best urban fantasy series out there, but it is entertaining for me so I continue to read it. Sabina is a kick-ass heroine, clad in the requisite leather, able to use all sorts of weapons at will. However, I find that the supporting cast of characters really makes the story, especially Gighul, Sabina’s Mischief Demon and minion. I can always count on him for a good laugh.

The Mage in Black finds Sabina in New York City.
Natasha
Mage in Black is book 2 in the Sabina Kane series. I really enjoyed book 1 "Red-Headed Step Child", but I found the heroin the typical kick butt, tough chick and hard attitude type. Although I tend to like those books, I was in the mood for more. The good thing is, in this book, more is what we got. I went from liking Sabina to loving her. We get to see more personality and humor, but still enough stubbornness to be the same old Sabina.

At the end of book 1 we were left with so many unanswered qu
Bethany C
This review may not be particularly informative/useful as I have nothing constructive to say- I loved everything about this book. However, I'm pretty stingy with my stars, so a five star really means something. Wells is a master at character development; every single one of her characters feels instantly real. And she has really achieved something in my book- continuing to keep me 100% interested during 'fight' scenes. I often find in other books during fight or battle scenes that my interest wa ...more
Fani
I'm completely with AH on this: this is fast becoming my favorite, guilty pleasure series:) Yes, Sabina is not the most likable heroine around and yes there are better written UF stories out there. But this is so entertaining! It's a nice combination of humorous moments, action, a little romance and some quite emotional moments that caught me by complete surprise. Gighul is one of the most interesting secondary characters out there and he alone makes these books worth reading. "Lawrence of the L ...more
The Flooze
The Mage in Black is a transition book. It finds Sabina in New York to meet with the mages and Maisie. Still reeling from being betrayed, Sabina works on her magic while making new allies. And new enemies.

This installment doesn’t begin as strongly as Red-Headed Stepchild did. Textual incongruities leech excitement out of an action scene in the very first chapter. I’m a stickler for that sort of thing. When a chick says she’s unarmed, then two seconds later is gripping her gun more tightly, I ge
Cathy
***Warning: small spoiler alert about book 1 in this series to follow ***

I was a little disappointed in this book. The end of the 1st book in the trilogy left me thinking that this 2nd book would be really good. There was so much intrigue and a lot of emotional risk-taking at the end of Red-Headed Stepchild; a major character was even killed, leading to a very emotionally raw funeral. I thought that this book would therefore be a real emotional roller coaster. And it wasn't. At least not for the
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Quick read and good followup to "Red-Headed Stepchild". This installment finds Sabina and company on the lam from her grandmother Lavinia and on to New York where her long lost twin sister is waiting. Sabina, being a mage and a vampire by birth is an expert at being alone and not fitting in so when she finds her sister, who is the opposite of her, she doesn't know or understand how to relate.

Joining the mages, Sabina runs into her own past and her own future. Torn between who was, is and who she
Monique
I actually finished this yesterday, but, wasn't able to get on the computer so I had to mark it finished today...Really, I would give this 4 1/2 stars it was really very good with an ending that was all cliffhanger setting us up for the next installment "Green-Eyed Demon," due out next year...Which for me is way to long:(

I must say that our heroine Sabina Kane annoys the crap out of me, I'm sorry she really pissed me off in this book, she is just so set in her ways, not open to accepting help fr
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

This was a brilliant second installment in the series, I thought this one was better then the first as it really plunged right into the story and you begin to see the rest of the Dark Races and delve deeper into Jaye Well's world.

What I especially liked about this book was the way it shows Sabina change, I would like to say for the better, as she has finally found a few people who accept her as she is and she starts developing real friendships, despite her major trust issues! What I al
Steph
After reading the first book Red-Headed Stepchild, I knew that I had to read the rest of the series.
I loved this book just as much as the first, although I did have a few problems that prevented me from giving 5stars.

Sabina, Adam and Giguhl have made it to New York. Sabina gets to meet her twin sister, Maisie (who up until about a week ago she didn't even know existed). Maisie is quite the opposite of Sabina, she's sweet and cheerful, playful and cares deeply about those around her and takes
Marsha
Dec 20, 2011 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult lovers of Paranormal Mysteries
Yowsa, Yowsa, Yowsa! I love this series. "The Mage in Black" begins immediately after "Red-Headed Stepchild"ends. Sabina journeys to New York with Adam to meet her twin sister, Maisie. She is immediately struck by the awe and sheer devotion the mages show her. However, she is not prepared for life in New York.

Little does Sabina know that there are certain protocols that must be followed if a vamp wants to have a 'hot dinner' in N.Y. Not knowing these rules will only cause the unfortunate outcome
Melindeeloo
After betrayal by her vampire grandmother, Sabina is no longer an assassin for the Dominae and is off to New York City to check out the mage side of her family and to finally meet her twin Maisie - who welcomes Sabina with open arms and lots of enthusiasm.

I finally have gotten into the swing of Wells' series (after one short story and one novel) and I really liked Mage in Black. Probably mostly because Well's UF heroine is thawing a bit and in this book she's starting to go through some interes
Crystal
I read the first book to this series, Red-Headed Stepchild
and I liked it and thought it was a good book. Mage in Black totally blew that one out of the water. It started out with a bang and the action just kept coming until the final pages.

WARNING: Some Spoilers for the 1st Novel

In this installment to the series, Sabina is traveling to NYC to meet her twin sister whom she was seperated at birth from,for the first time. The sexy mage, Adam who helped her in the first novel is bringing both he
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Jaye Wells continues to make the Sabina Kane series a hit! I loved every bit of it as I did RHSC and now I wish the third book, Green-Eyed Demon was coming out this year and not next. I can't wait for it!

The Mage in Black features several fight scenes that are kick-ass! In fact, in this book other characters get in on the action as well. You'll find out soon if you read it. It's very entertaining.

Along with the ass kicking that goes on here, you also get a glimpse of the more emotional side of
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I started reading this EXACTLY after finishing the latest Night Huntress book. This will explain my harsh review.

I had so many problems with this book that I have no idea where to begin. The start was too sudden. I’m a sucker for action but give me some time to adjust don’t just hit me in the head like this. I could get over this if the story would turn into something interesting and not mindless action. It didn’t. Eventually things got so boring that I lost interest in the book. Hell at a point
LiteraryLover
The Mage in Black starts off shortly after Red-Headed Stepchild, the previous book in the series. Sabina Kane is now official enemy of the vampire council known as the Dominae. Sabina, the mage Adam, and her demon familiar Giguhl are on their way to New York to meet the Hekate Council, the leaders of the mage race. Also, the home of Sabina's long lost twin sister and figurative leader of the Hekate Council.
It gets off to a rocky start with some vampire assassins trying to stop the group before
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
1st Rule of Demon Fight Club...Don't talk about it. 2nd Rule of Demon Fight Club...read this freaking book for the Demon sidekick alone and you won't be disappointed.

That's right the lovable Mr. Giggles is back bitches. I absolutely love Giguhl, Sabina's demon familiar. He's great for a laugh and we find out that he can hold his own when it comes to a fight. His and Sabina relationship is funny and touching. They have each others back and Sabina learns to let her big boy demon out on his own. Sa
Hikachi
When I first read Red-headed stepchild, I have to say it wasn't really impressive to me. I mean, the characters aren't really stereotyped, and there's this pretty engaging plot, but that's it. Not really impressive to me.

However, this book is a much better sequel. Yes, I like it more than the prequel. More action, more kickassesness (if that's a word), and even though it's all from Sabina's point of view, the book has more room for other characters (well, mostly, the talkative-and-homeshoppingad
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
Red-Headed Stepchild wasn’t a book that impressed me much, so I went into this one with a degree of trepidation. Since the end of the first hit the main character, Sabina, over the head with a revelation hammer, it’s possible that she will at least shake loose one of the annoying traits that turned me off so badly before: blind devotion. Now, let’s see if she was able to improve in other ways as well…

Story-wise, the plot was a worthy continuation, picking off where RHS leaves off. Since Sabina f
Bridget

Whoever said that blood relatives would equal a loving family obviously didn't know Sabina or her grandma. Could you imagine your grandma being a vampire leader? Now, could you imagine her wanting to see you dead? I didn't think so.

Sabina takes a trip to see the other side of her family, the mage side and she can only hope that this get together pans out better than the one with dear old grams. It seems that the mages want Sabina to be the bait and lure in their rivals, the vamps. It becomes qu
Kenya Wright
This book improved from the first. I enjoyed the read and will definetly read the next book!! I am starting to like the main character. I also love the introduction of Shade. He's a cool character and I hope to see more of him.
Maggie
I like this series pretty well. Jaye Wells can write gritty right up there w/ Herbert Selby Jr. (Their styles are different but, the grit is in both of them.)
Vanessa
She's a 'shoot first and ask questions later' half-vampire with assassin skills and trust issues who must learn the magic inherited from her mage father in order to unite the dark races.

/yawn

If you've read your share of chick urban fantasy, THE MAGE IN BLACK is more of the same. Unfortunately, it's not even average more of the same. Perhaps I should start with what it has going for it: straightforward storytelling and fast-paced action. What it doesn't have going for it? Everything else.

It start
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
In book two of the Sabina Kane series The Mage In Black, Sabina meets her twin sister Maisie who is the leader of the mages after just finding out about Maisie’s existence. Sabina has left her “family” in LA after finding out her grandmother (the ruler of the vampire race) has been draining mage blood to help the vampires retain some of the mage powers so they could go to war against them. Sabina isn’t very trusting of anyone since finding out about the schemes her grandmother has underway, so i ...more
Maria
You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

The second book in this series is as good as the first one! Back into Sabina’s world, so we can learn more about the world-building and the dark races. Fast-paced and full of action, this story kept my interest all the way.

Sabina finally meets her sister and she’s trying to accept her mage half. She meets new people, she finds new powers but still she feels like she doesn’t belong anywhere.

Well, I have to admit
Ellz Readz
My thoughts...In case you are new to this series, this is book two. Book one was good, but I was waiting for something to set this heroine apart from others in the Urban Fantasy world. Book two, The Mage In Black did just that. Readers learn in book one that Sabina Kane is half vampire and half mage, but the mage side is not really explored. TMIB really explores her magical abilities, introduces a magical community, and gives Sabina platform to stand on.

In The Mage In Black, I saw different sid
Paris
There’s something really easy about this series that makes reading it a breeze. I know that if I need a quick, easy, fun read I can pick up one of these books and get it. However, there are so many things that bother me about this series that if I were to really think about things I would be too distracted to enjoy this series.

There isn’t a character in the book that I’ve connected with. I’m not really invested in the story; I don’t really care much about what happens next just that something i
Chantal Halpin
This is the second book in this series. Start with Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells It took me ages to get The Mage in Black as it wasn't available on kindle over here (UK) for some reason, but as I loved RHS so much I was just waiting for this one to come back up and it didn't disappoint.

However it wasn't difficult to work out who the baddie was and reading all of Sabina's hard knocks did not make for comfortable reading; it made for quick reading, just not an easy ride.

In true urban fantasy style our kick-a$$ girlie had to
Jen
WOW! What a great series so far - I don't want to wait another month for the next book :(

First of all - the model they used on the cover of these books is awsome! She reminds me of Richelle Mead - mostly the look of the red hair and pale skin - but she looks so strong willed in every way. I don't know Richelle Mead - other then meeting her once at a book signing but still - that's my impression :)

Anyways - I really liked this book - I anxious for her to meet her new sister - but I wasn't prepa
SOS: Serious Over...: August buddy read: Mage in Black by Jaye Wells 38 53 Aug 17, 2012 04:52PM
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Tracking the Tempest (Jane True, #2)
  • Bitten in Two (Jaz Parks, #7)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
1938234
Jaye Wells is a USA Today-bestselling author of urban fantasy and speculative crime fiction. Raised by booksellers, she loved reading books from a very young age. That gateway drug eventually led to a full-blown writing addiction. When she’s not chasing the word dragon, she loves to travel, drink good bourbon and do things that scare her so she can put them in her books. Jaye lives in Texas with h ...more
More about Jaye Wells...
Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3) Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5) Dirty Magic (The Prospero's War, #1)

“I cringed at her entirely accurate summary of the kiss. "Look, it‘s not a big deal. I think it was curiosity more than anything."
"Curiosity? Like you were wondering what his tonsils tasted like?”
28 likes
“Believe it or not, there are plenty of ways to satisfy your need for blood without harming anyone."

I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, but where's the fun in that?”
25 likes