Start by marking “The Sword and the Flame: The Dragon King Trilogy - Book 3” as Want to Read:
The Sword and the Flame: The Dragon King Trilogy - Book 3

The Sword and the Flame: The Dragon King Trilogy - Book 3 (The Dragon King #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,756 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Sometimes the greatest evil lies within.
The Dragon King who rules the land of Mensandor is none other than Quentin, whose courage and heroism have slowly transformed him from an orphaned servant into a war hero, respected leader, and a fierce man of faith.
But even the powerful can fall prey to weakness. The world is turned upside-down when the dark sorcerer Nimrood--long
Published September 11th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword and the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword and the Flame

Marie Carls
First I'd like to say please don't judge all Lawhead books by this one. His later works are MUCH better. However this book was really not worth reading. The characters are cardboard cut outs. Every single character behaves exactly as you would expect them to except maybe for Quinton whose ridiculousness mood swings were just annoying and out of proportion with what had happened. I kept hoping Theido would slap him in the face. Seriously that would probably have solved half their problems right t ...more
Nikki
By read, I actually mean that I gave up on this trilogy. I can't imagine that this book would be any better than the previous two. Cliché piled on cliché, with powerless women and a bundle of fantasy stereotypes, compounded by over-elaborate, unnatural writing. I did used to like Lawhead's writing, but not so much in these books. It might have got better in the next book, but I have far too many books to hang around and wait for that. If you can't keep me interested, you're out.

(I find it odd ho
Aelvana
Quentin has settled in as King and has built a family for himself. But Nimrood the Necromancer has returned, hungry for revenge. Nimrood kidnaps the Prince and Toli and stirs up the people of the realm against Quentin and Quentin's god. Quentin finds himself unexpectedly alone and descends into mad grief. Everything is being taken away from him: his son, his family, his friends, his faith. Will the promise of a new era indeed come to pass, or will it crumble like so much dust?

If you've read the
Damon
Not bad but.....

this was a decent conclusion to the trilogy. I struggled with deciding whether to give it three or four stars and decided on four because the problems I have with the story are do to my own beliefs. The story has a generic fantasy formula feel to it which is not necessarily a bad thing but it was obviously a vehicle to promote Christianity. I kept thinking of King Quentin as Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity and the overall feeling I got about the books made me think
Annie
First Look: *****(5) Of course, the first two were amazing, so I knew this had to be amazing too. My cover (the reddish and white one) is okay, but while searching for an online picture I found another one, which is cooler.

Setting: *****(5) I want to live in this world. No joke. That's how good it is. As I read I could vividly see it all around me.

Characters: *****(5) Awesome. That's the best word to sum it up. They were all very complex, and even Quentin's crazy mood swings/spazz moments were b
Phillip Lemons
In some ways this book is the strongest of the trilogy and in some ways it's the weakest. The technical aspects of Lawhead's writing is noticeably improved over the first book, In the Hall of the Dragon King. However, the plot felt weaker than the other two books.

The story feels like a blend of King David and Job. I found it a bit difficult to identify with the characters. In some ways the characters behaved as they ought to have rather than how I imagine real people would have. That is with ex
Bob Hayton
This is the finale of Lawhead's Dragon King series. This book does two things. It first brings out a more direct spiritual element in the work. Quentin is enthroned as the Dragon King who aims to bring in the kingdom of light, and to facilitate the worship of the One True God. Perhaps this directness turns some readers off. No attempt at allegory remains it is a direct Christian tale now.

On the other hand, this book gives hints of what's to come in Lawhead's writing. The tale is quite dark and
Josiah DeGraaf
Best book in the series. While, like the other books in the series, the villains are kind of defined by being purely-evil and thus not particularly interesting (though quite powerful!), the MC's character arc was well done and a powerful look at anger and revenge against mercy and forgiveness. I read this book several times when younger and enjoyed it each time.

3.5-4 Stars. (Very Good)
Ann
This series, while nothing amazing, is still an interesting read.

Probably the weakest aspect to me is that I didn't connect with any of the characters, nor did many of them have more than one dimension until this last book where Quentin struggles with his faith.

Overall they were a simple, easy read and still a satisfying fantasy series.
Meagan Stott

This book had a great start and the ending made me want to continue on to the next story as quickly as I could, however the middle was terribly dry. Lawhead spends a lot of time building different characters up, and I found it slightly boring, especially in the middle section... There were some intense scenes throughout the book that kept me going though. I did not like the demise of the bad guy, I felt like it came too simply and left me thinking it should be more dramatic. Overall a pretty go
Mariana
A strong continuation. I have to say that besides the names of Sauron and Morgoth Nimrood is for me one of the best evil names one author can conjure. Powerfull.
Stefan
The third volume in the Dragon King series, was just as good as it's predecessors. I found the wild mood swing within the protagonist a bit hard to believe without skepticism, yet this was still a good read. What struck me is how short The Sword and the Flame is compared to other fantasy books. Nonetheless, Lawhead's characteristic (meaning excellent) character development, plot, settings, and back story are all here. The back story is a bit lacking, but so be it, because this is still a decent ...more
Libby
Another approximate ten year gap has passed in Quentin’s life. This time evil takes a much more personal form. It is Quentin who wrestles and begins to succumb to depression. His friends wrestle with how to break through to him and he eventually must evaluate his faith.

I have enjoyed this trilogy and will definitely read it again. It was such a great story and I was caught up in the adventure. Quentin is such a likeable character and his wrestling with darkness makes him an even more compelling
Alex Johnson
Overall a great story and enjoy Lawheads style. There where just some things that were frustrating about the main character and his sudden changing of attitude and heart to be sullen and then suddenly resolved to do good. Based on how the character was developed in the past 2 books of the series I expected a more mature and even tempered person than was portrayed.

Good book just very annoying on that one point.
Lobug
This one was a bit harder than the other 2. It bothers me that the main character deteriorated so fast. I felt like it was too unrealistic in that. Then suddenly, with very little explanation, he was himself again. His character was amazingly different from the other books, I felt; and the characterization just was not as good. I love this series, but this last book left a little something to be desired after how good the first 2 were.
Winston
The end of the Trilogy comes full circle full of magical radiance as in the previous books on the series. However, I could not help but dislike the main character...full of flaws and helplessness through the majority of the tale. In fact I found the supporting cast to be much more intriguing, thus stealing the show. A worthy read, nonetheless.
Brad
Third and final book of the series. Interesting and satisfying, although book 2 was clearly the highlight of the series. The major thrust of the book was the internal struggle of the main character, which is interesting, however, it seems a bit overdone at times. Worth reading to complete the series, but not as a stand alone.
Kathi
Too preachy, too predictable, too clichéd... None of the characters had any surprises, and the minor characters, rather than being interesting, were so stereotypical it was almost laughable. I know this trilogy was written early in Lawhead's career, but even compared to the first two books in this series, this was a letdown.
Ashley Bigley
I have really enjoyed this entire series, but especially The Sword and the Flame. The story was gripping and left me wishing for more. The ending was good and made me think of many Bible stories as well as a few other stories that I have read all rolled into one. I will definitely be reading more of Lawhead's books.
Andrea
I loved this trilogy it had alot of religious undertones, but not so much that it detracted from the story. The last book did not disappoint.
Dave Intlekofer
I really enjoyed this series. This book was the most spiritual and gave a great picture of a soul struggling to follow God. I liked it a lot.
Ashley
Felt like a slow build up in the beginning but once I got to the middle it gained my interest. I'm glad there was a happy ending.
Joshua Freshour
"The Sword and The Flame" was a worthy end to the series. I laughed, cried, despaired, and jumped with joy while reading.
Karen
The final book in the series was the best by far and finished a story line that was left hanging in the first book.
J.p. McNeill
Bland, one dimensional characters, very predictable. This final book fell short in a promising series...
David Mckeever
Fun fiction and excellent fantasy adventure. Enjoyed the entire Dragon King series!!!
Kendra
Reread this month. Story of Job type storyline. Good fantasy, but not my big thing.
Jacinta Hoare
Stephen Lawhead is an excellent author, this series is just crap however.
Retha
Great read, great series. I love the strong Christian undertone.
Pam Howell
Really liked this trilogy - sorry it when it was over.
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • The Scarlet Trefoil: A Novel (Tahn Dorn #3)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight, #1)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Dragon King (3 books)
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • The Warlords of Nin (The Dragon King, #2)
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) Hood (King Raven, #1) Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3) Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2) Scarlet (King Raven, #2)