Start by marking “Remembering Hypatia: A Novel of Ancient Egypt” as Want to Read:
Remembering Hypatia: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

Remembering Hypatia: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

On a November night in Egypt, 414 A.D., one of history's most brilliant individuals was assassinated. Her name was Hypatia, teacher and scientist of the fabled Great Library of Alexandria and the last glimmer of hope before the Dark Ages.

The Roman Empire is crumbling, the fragments of the classical world regrouping in Egypt when Thasos, son of an ill-fated scholar, meets
Published February 23rd 2005 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Remembering Hypatia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering Hypatia

Jane
Mar 17, 2017 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
3.5/5. The author's take on Hypatia, the pagan woman philosopher, mathematician, and astronomer of 4th and 5th century Alexandria, a city known for its religious tolerance, as well as for the Great Library. Hypatia teaches there and single-mindedly pursues her science. She does have high placed friends, a lawyer, Governor Orestes, a general, and the group's elder Synesius of Cyrene. This group has studied at the Library.
Religious intolerance gets out of hand at the instigation of Cyril the Arch
Scott
Mar 03, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
This work of historical fiction tells the tale of the murder of Hypatia, a prominent mathematician and the daughter of Theon, who was a scholar at the Great Library of Alexandria. As historical fiction, some characters are based upon real people, but the disclaimer at the front of the book notes that all characters are used fictitiously. For this reason, it is interesting to see where the story meets reality.

There is a lot of good discussion of ancient mathematics and philosophy in this novel. H
Naleen
Jul 18, 2010 Naleen rated it it was ok
I picked up this book after listening to Brian Trent being interviewed about it on a podcast (Skeptics' Guide to the Universe). I think my expectations were too high. Trent did a wonderful job during the interview I listened to- he is intelligent and well spoken so I figured that this book would be amazing. Plus, I wanted to know more about Hypatia after revisiting the first part of Carl Sagan's Cosmos recently. The material that Trent chose to work with is fascinating- there is no doubt that ma ...more
Becki Basley
Feb 11, 2017 Becki Basley rated it it was amazing
This is going to be one of the most personal reviews I have written in awhile. I originally wrote in on my Facebook page and debated about sharing such thoughts on a book review but I decided to share knowing and understanding that it is never the same for anyone esle.

Last on from the book "Remembering Hypatia"
" Tonight, Thasos told his listeners, " the sky will glimmer with stars. Watch them. Realize they are 'something we can understand' You must be an observer of this world! Gather facts and
Sam toer
Jul 17, 2010 Sam toer rated it it was amazing
Brian Trent chronicles the last days of Hypatia's life. Hypatia was a mathematician, astronomer, and a philosopher who lived in Alexandrea, Egypt and taught in the city's famous great library in the 4th century AD. She was beautiful and intelligent. One of her contemporaries said that many came from a great distance to hear her explain the principles of philosophy, adding that she did not feel "abashed in going to an assembly of men. For all men on account of her extraordinary dignity and virtue ...more
Wes Bishop
Dec 18, 2013 Wes Bishop rated it it was amazing
A good book. I would recommend this to people who enjoy historical fiction. I am familiar with Trent's work from various essays and articles I have read of his (one which was quite good in the Humanist) but this book does have certain issues.

Sometimes given to the melodramatic, the book is ultimately a polemical work discussing the church vs. science debate/ free thought vs. dogmatic thinking argument we see in our current "culture wars." Many readers would be correct in pointing this out, and i
Aspasia
Nov 08, 2011 Aspasia rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Hypatia until I watched the movie "Agora" a few months ago. Hypatia was a female mathematician and astronomer in an age when a woman had to walk behind her man in public. Hypatia fully devoted her life to science, never marrying or having children. Brian Trent did a great job of setting the political and religious moods that led to the tragic death and murder of Hypatia. Although this is a work of fiction, true events were the basis for this book.
Ed Landsberg
loved it
Marisa Ringe
Marisa Ringe rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Enrico Luis
Enrico Luis rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Jeffery
Jeffery rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Timedilation
Timedilation rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Bonnie Becnel
Bonnie Becnel rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2008
Mahmoud
Mahmoud rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Karin
Karin rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2010
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
May 08, 2010
Mommy
Mommy rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2007
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Renee Jaspers
Renee Jaspers rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2007
Hypatia
Hypatia rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2008
Josef Spalenka
Josef Spalenka rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Sidney Manibusan
Sidney Manibusan rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2015
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Alhambra
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Spices: A Global History
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, a Concise History: Volume I: To 1740
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • An Ethiopian Romance
  • Hypatia of Alexandria
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Throne of Isis
  • An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Hatshepsut: The Princess Who Became King (National Geographic World History Biographies)