Start by marking “The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words” as Want to Read:
The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words

The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The go-to guide for finding those exceptional and unexpected words that will bring your writing to the next level.

Published May 3rd 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Thinker's Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thinker's Thesaurus

Lance Schaubert
Mar 12, 2012 Lance Schaubert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(originally @ http://lanceschaubert.org/2012/02/22/... )

We like words here, don’t we?

Chuh-huh… yeah! That’s why today’s fantastic point of ignorance goes out to all of you wordsmiths, literators, storyweavers and spelling bee champions out there. I asked for free stuff this Christmas, things like carols and cider and snow cones and oral stories involving hearts five sizes too small but my Grandma’s a gift giver like most of my family. She bought me a copy of The Thinker’s Thesaurus.

Touché, grann
Janice Williams
From the back cover: "This entertaining and informative reference features only sophisticated and surprising alternatives to common words together with no-fail guides to usage. Avoiding traditional thesauruses' mundane synonym choices, Peter E. Meltzer puts each word--whether it's sciolistic, misoneist, orabulia--in context by using examples from a broad range of recent books, periodicals, and newspapers."

The above is an accurate description of this book. Here are a few interesting examples:

inco
két con
Jun 11, 2016 két con rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
always in one of my tabs hehe
Don Incognito
Mar 10, 2015 Don Incognito rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I examined this thesaurus, and found that it offers some words other thesauruses may not have but also a great number of fairly well-known synonyms that I have already learned. It also demonstrates the word being used--by quoting some lengthy extract from a media source. These quotations often serve to show off the author's sociopolitical views to the reader.

You could do as well with another thesaurus. Not recommended.
Stacie
Jul 26, 2011 Stacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it. A great Thinking, philosophers guide. Wish I had this in college. Much more useful to me than a normal thesaurus.
Audrey
Sep 10, 2010 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Synonyms for Basic Words, by Peter Meltzer, goes beyond the realm of what we think a "thesaurus" should be by providing us with a level of useful words that exceeds what we've become used to in a normal thesaurus. The thesaurus that most of us are accustomed to suggests words that can be boring and repetitive. Meltzer gives us words contained in recent media, books and hundreds of newspapers and magazines to whet our appetite for more useful and dynamic wor ...more
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing

Do you find that your regular thesaurus spits out the same old words already running through your head? Are the lists boring, repetitive, and generally unhelpful? Peter E. Meltzer thought so and decided to create a unique thesaurus that would offer interesting, original synonyms along with contextual examples. He quotes from a range of recent media—including books and hundreds of mag
amaya
Apr 24, 2016 amaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I may well keep this under 'currently reading', rather than mark it 'read', as it's such an excellent book and I don't anticipate putting it away any time soon.

I've always been very interested in words and languages, and I'm constantly seeking to expand my vocabulary. I love the entry format, as it gives proper context, thereby minimising - or even eliminating - ambiguity.

This could surely be considered required reading for any modern wordsmith!
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I have been fascinated by Thesaurus books ever since I learned about them in junior high. I love them. I would sit and make list of words.This is like the holy grail. I use it with reverence.
Scampi
Jul 29, 2008 Scampi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will always be on the currently reading shelf. This book is totally amazing. Pure felicific.
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 20, 2016
Valentina Piazza
Valentina Piazza marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Đức Quyền
Đức Quyền marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Loudre
Loudre marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Duong Nguyen
Duong Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kasujja Xavier
Kasujja Xavier is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Charity Ayres
Charity Ayres rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Hồng Vân
Hồng Vân marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Minh Nhật
Minh Nhật marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Gwen B
Gwen B marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Naseema
Naseema marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Craig Kannel
Craig Kannel is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Sabita Basnet
Sabita Basnet marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Will Sn
Will Sn is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Synonym Finder
  • The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
  • Reverse Dictionary (Readers Digest)
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Composing a Further Life: The Age of Active Wisdom
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of Made-Up Languages: From Adunaic to Elvish, Zaum to Klingon -- The Anwa (Real) Origins of Invented Lexicons
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms