Start by marking “Nop's Trials: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Nop's Trials: A Novel

Nop's Trials: A Novel

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  473 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
When the sheep dog, Nop, is stolen from Lewis Burkholder's farm and sold to a ruthless dog handler, Lewis struggles to recover his dog.
Title: Nop's Trials
Author: McCraig, Donald
Publisher: Globe Pequot Pr
Publication Date: 2007/07/01
Number of Pages: 328
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress: bl2007025371
Published July 1st 2007 by Lyons Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Nop's Trials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nop's Trials

Smokinjbc
Aug 29, 2007 Smokinjbc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Required Reading for Border Collie Owners and pet lovers
I originally read this book soon after acquiring my first border collie. The book is about a young, tremendously talented sheepdog named Nop and his gruff owner, Lewis. When Nop isn't making a big impression on the trial field, he is Lewis' right hand dog when it comes to his sheep. On Christmas morning, Nop disappears and the book is about Lewis's quest to find his dog.

The book is fast moving and gut-wrenching, with beautiful descriptions of the work of these sheepdogs. Even the uninitated she
Mallory Heart Reviews

A warm, endearing, close-to-life story of the lives of a Shenandoah Valley farmer, his wife, adult daughter, and especially hardworking Border Collies, Nop and Stink Dog. The latter once came too close to the livestock and was "stove-up," rendering it unfit for running and herding. But the two dogs unite in relating their interjected portions of this tale, against the author's narrative backdrop.

It's easy to understand how this book became an immediate classic, for its endearing story and valua
Candy
May 18, 2008 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Nop! You'll love him, too!
Mary Jane
This is a neat dog story. Nop is a border collie who is a working sheep dog and trial champion. He gets separated from his home/farm and the book tells of his adventures and his owner's search for him. The characters are interesting - both human and canine. Though it's not a gripping read, the pages keep turning. The last few chapters it gets to be "I HAVE to find out what happens!".

The writing wasn't amazing, but not terrible, either. I'd recommend the book to anyone who likes dogs.
Lis Carey
Sep 02, 2014 Lis Carey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, fiction
Nop is a young border collie, happily living the border collie life on a Virginia farm with livestock farmer Lewis Burkholder. On Christmas Day, Nop and a neighbor's dog are let out to play, and don't come back. They've been stolen, and Nop's life has undergone an alarming and disorienting change.

In alternating sections, we follow Nop's struggles to survive in a life much harsher than he has known till now, and Lewis Burkholder's search for his missing dog.

There's dog drama here, and the dogs ar
Mimi
Mar 18, 2016 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are lovely but hard to read (your heart will go out to the dog and your disgust will go out to the dognappers). I have always wanted to have a border collie but these books convinced me that these fabulous incredibly smart dogs (Trust me, smarter than you!) are not for folks who don't have things for them to do every day. If not, you'll see as I did, 10 little children rounded up at the local park and "guarded" by 2 border collies. Who could blame the dogs? The children had wandered from t ...more
Emily
Apr 07, 2014 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My aunt gave me this book many years ago when I was in middle school. I don't think she actually read it since (in my opinion) this book is highly inappropriate for children. It is full of foul language, animal abuse, and there are 3 sexual encounters (2 human and one between dogs- none are very graphic but still mature).

I'm honestly not sure why this book is such a treasure to so many people. I almost never stop reading a book once I've started, but this one was painful to finish. The story did
Christie Bane
Sep 19, 2015 Christie Bane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare to find any person who has a great understanding of people and a great understanding of dogs. It is even more rare for that person to also be a great writer. But Donald McCaig can do it all -- "get" people and dogs, and tell a damn good story, so good I wanted to immediately go out and read everything he's ever written. This book is about Nop, a young border collie who belongs to Lewis Burkeholder. Lewis is a humble Virginia farmer, soft-spoken, man-of-few-words, guy who does the right ...more
Sandra Platt
May 26, 2009 Sandra Platt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, I didn't like this book. I know it's about a dog, but there's terribe violence and I couldn't get very far. I get enough of that in my work.
Rochelle
Jan 04, 2008 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, animals
A must-read for any dog lover. And the best part is, there is a sequel!
Michelle
Michelle
May 05, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, fiction, animals
Essentially, this story is to dogs what Black Beauty is to horses. The over-riding theme is that animal suffer much at the hands of humans. It would be unfair to say that it is JUST a Black Beauty copy but it's difficult to not see the parallel.

I did have two issues--one of the characters could best be described as "chaotic evil." Some of his actions make no sense. I get that people often do things against their own self-interest but this man's actions are downright random and you're expected t
AE Michels
This is actually a fantasy novel, unless classic literature has suddenly started including dog POVs. :)

However, it's clever and a good read, if sickening from time to time--very painful for any animal lover. The doggie culture depicted is well thought out and reasonably logical, and the aspect of border collie herding as work and competition is wonderful to read, especially if one has seen either done.
C. Michael
Jan 02, 2015 C. Michael rated it it was amazing
More sad and more moving than I expected, even though I've known about this book and intended to read it for years. Planning to read more by this author (including Nop's Hope) soon.
Brittany
Dec 17, 2007 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really gave this book a shot. James Herriot liked it, so how bad could it be? Pretty bad, in my opinion. I have trouble with any book where the author attributes verbal speech to animals (and let's not even mention the sin of allowing hunting dogs to giggle). It has to be done with just the right touch (for example Watership Down). To be fair, I only was able to stick with this book for two chapters, before I got sick of the dogs talking to each other, and using "thou" rather than "you." It c ...more
Ruthie
Aug 03, 2014 Ruthie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very well-written and shows a true understanding of how Border Collies function. But the happy ending could not make up for the traumatic experience which constituted the rest of the book. Shudder. Cannot in good conscience recommend.
Joe
Nov 10, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dogs
This a beautiful book that will appeal not only to dog lovers but to general readers. While always well written, the plot of the novel sometimes falls into the standard lost-hero-dog narrative, as Nop endures one hardship and brutality after the other while waiting to be reunited with his owner. But the chapters that describe the work that men and dogs do together on a farm, and during a sheepdog trial, are simply remarkable. McCaig's descriptions of family and married life are also spot on. A g ...more
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 4 1984, 11/85. Donald McCaig. A classic dog story of a man's dedication to his border collie and their bond. Okay.
Wendi Enright
Jun 27, 2015 Wendi Enright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Copyright 1984. Fantastic, interesting plot. Seen through both the dog's and owner's eyes. Disturbingly realistic at times.
Nancy Shaffer
Feb 11, 2016 Nancy Shaffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a find on the sale rack at my local library. Looks brand new. Makes me think of it as an undiscovered gem. Think Lassie come home with mystery attached.
Ms Sun
Jan 05, 2011 Ms Sun rated it liked it
is a good read, though starts out real s-l-o-w ... one has to really persevere if expects to complete the tale. author got many facts totally incorrect, which, to me, detracts a lot from the tale/ storyline ... at completion, one gathers that he wrote it when obviously dint know about how folks treat one another when living in the sticks nor much about dogs. (the edition that i perused, did not have the dogs talking to each other using "thou" ... so, don't know how folks got that impression) ... ...more
Stephen
Oct 14, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories
Wow, this is exciting, a canine Perils of Pauline. If you like dog stories you don't set this one down until it's finished. I think I lent my copy to someone who never gave it back, 'cause otherwise I would have read it for a third time at some point in the last couple of years. Instead, I forgot all about it. Rem to self: make a new shelf for animal stories
Joan
Wonderful book many emotional ups and downs.
Ruth
Sep 23, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, fiction
I have a bone to pick with this author.
Jean Cable
Nov 22, 2015 Jean Cable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great dog story
Beth Mcgoldrick
Feb 05, 2016 Beth Mcgoldrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
DNF, i don't care for books where the animals speak.
Apr 26, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. Many books about dogs and really about the people who love them. But McCaig daringly and successfully goes into Nop's mind and finds an idiom that works.
Samantha
Sep 24, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swapped-in
I'm a dog person so it was no surprise to me that I loved this book. I've always had a particular fondness of border collies as well, though I've never owned one. This story is about Nop and his owner, Lewis. The story centers around Nop's life after one fateful Christmas morning when he is stolen and Lewis' quest to get his dog and friend back. It's a touching story that reflects on the cruelty of humans, and the loyalty of dogs too well.
S.J.
Oct 27, 2012 S.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best I've read as far as getting into the mind of a dog and keeping it real. As someone who can spend hours watching sheepdog trials, I loved this book for the insight it gave on training and the relationship between the dogs and their handlers. Lewis' and Nop's mutual friendship embodied the best of the contract we have with the dogs that chose to share our lives, and suspense kept me tense until the end.
Doug Graham
This book is pretty much strictly for dog lovers. The writing style seems choppy at times and the transitions from plot point to plot point seem like someone had their finger on the fast forward button on the dvr. There are several very, very disturbing parts of the book involving animal cruelty that might give you nightmares, so be forewarned But in spite of all that, I cried at the end. Happy tears. Silly me.
Do you thinik that lewis searched for nops as good as he could have 1 1 Feb 15, 2012 11:05AM
  • The Pit Bull Placebo: The Media, Myths and Politics of Canine Aggression
  • Beautiful Joe
  • The Modern Dog: How Dogs Fit into Our Society, Culture, and Our Personal and Emotional Lives
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Loving Our Dogs: Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about our Companions and Best Friends
  • Bark If You Love Me
  • King: A Street Story
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs
  • Greyfriars Bobby
  • The Dog Who Spoke with Gods
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Dog Man: An Uncommon Life on a Faraway Mountain
  • The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training
  • Buff: A Collie and Other Dog Stories
Donald McCaig is the award-winning author of Jacob’s Ladder designated “the best civil war novel ever written” by The Virginia Quarterly. People magazine raved “Think Gone With the Wind, think Cold Mountain.” It won the Michael Sharra Award for Civil War Fiction and the Library of Virginia Award for Fiction.
More about Donald McCaig...