Start by marking “LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour” as Want to Read:
LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour

LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour

A revealing account of Led Zepplin's 1975 North American tour including all- new interviews with-and insider information about-the band, from the bestselling author of Hammer of the Gods.

As a young music journalist in 1975, Stephen Davis got the opportunity of a lifetime: an invitation to cover the sold-out 1975 North American tour of Led Zeppelin, the biggest and most
Published October 28th 2010 by Gotham (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about LZ-'75, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LZ-'75

Paul Lyons
Jun 25, 2012 Paul Lyons rated it did not like it
When I first heard about Stephen Davis' new book, LZ -'75: THE LOST CHRONICLES OF LED ZEPPELIN'S 1975 AMERICAN TOUR, I was very anxious to read it. My imagination ran wild about what kind of interesting stories I would find in the book. Despite the fact that Davis published the scandalously sleazy Zeppelin bio HAMMER OF THE GODS in the mid-80's, I was still looking forward to what the publishers promised would be a "detailed chronicle of each performance from a musical perspective, and a vivid a ...more
Bradford
Jul 18, 2014 Bradford rated it did not like it
Shelves: music
Truly one of the worst books I've ever read!
Dachokie
Jul 29, 2011 Dachokie rated it liked it
Rock Gods displayed as Rock Clods?, December 24, 2010

Arguably, one of the most influential bands in rock and roll history, no group seemed to mesmerize fans in the manner Led Zeppelin did. There is an undefined mystery/aura associated with Zeppelin that generates interest in the band, beyond its music. While Stephen Davis' "Hammer of the Gods" was a much anticipated and appreciated look into the band, its tale of debauchery only added to Zeppelin's mysterious lore. With LZ-75, Davis returns to g
Barney
Dec 23, 2011 Barney rated it it was ok
I read Stephen Davis' most well known book, Hammer of the Gods, back in high school. There, along with every other 15-19 year old male, I went through the "Zep" phase. I could quote most songs, staunchly defended John Bonham as "the greatest drummer of all time" and thought Robert Plant was a D-Bag because of the Honeydrippers. I thrilled to the accounts of groupies being violated by dead sharks (made famous by the Frank Zappa song, "Mud Shark"), TVs being thrown off balconies and general mayhem ...more
Michael Allan Leonard
Growing up a huge fan of Led Zeppelin in the pre-Internet age, there were few sources of detailed information on the band who had a notoriously poor opinion of the press to start with, which certainly added much sheen to their mystique. I read and re-read my copy of Stephen Davis' biography of the band Hammer of the Gods almost to tatters during high school.

When I tripped across this book on a bookstore shelf, I immediately scooped it up. Davis, friends with the group's publicist, had accompanie
Chris J
May 21, 2012 Chris J rated it liked it
I approached this book pregnant with feelings of both anticipation and trepidation. The book's concept, a sense of place study of life on tour with Led Zeppelin, intrigued me. Yet, I had read several damning reviews of Davis's book, and had my own negative feelings toward him stemming from his abomination of a biography, "Hammer of the Gods." Nevertheless, I decided to forge forward.

I am happy to say the book passes muster. LZ-'75 is comprised of 5-7 page chapters, snapshots of particular citie
Alessandro Maiucchi
Apr 16, 2012 Alessandro Maiucchi rated it really liked it
Ho appena finito di leggere LZ-'75, il reportage del tour americano del 1975 dei Led Zeppelin scritto da Stephen Davis, già autore de Il martello degli Dei, la biografia definitiva del più grande gruppo rock della storia. Lo so, qualcuno starà già dicendo che il più grande sono i ... (sostituire ai puntini il nome del vostro gruppo preferito), ma secondo me ci sono alcuni parametri di cui tenere conto. Gli Zep hanno esordito al primo posto in America con un disco doppio, proprio nel 1975 (Physic ...more
Blog on Books
Dec 15, 2010 Blog on Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the annals of rock history, there may be no book held in higher regard than Stephen Davis' legendary "Hammer of the Gods." Davis, who got himself assigned to cover the band's landmark tour of 1975 (considered by many to be the band at the height of its powers) for the Atlantic Monthly, wrote and lost a series of journals of interviews and observations as a media member of the band's touring entourage. Though the magazine article was ultimately killed, the recovery of those journals is what le ...more
Ionfarmer
To my teenage mind, there was nothing as satisfying as Stephan Davis' "Hammer of the Gods", a tabloid expose of Led Zeppelin in graphic detail. It was a volume that served as a framework that I hung different elements of understanding upon, as I searched for the intangible qualities that allowed this band to function as it did. Fast Forward 25 years, and I came across LZ-75. It serves as a post script to that work, almost an after thought. Stephen Davis explains his search for a missing cardboar ...more
Grant
Apr 04, 2011 Grant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was clear that the author of this book either needed a couple of bucks to pay off an old loan, or the publisher was looking to fill a printing/marketing space. That's not to say that this is a bad book - it just isn't a great one.

The "behind the scenes" look at the band's lifestyle was interesting - it gives this middle-aged guy more reason to look at rock stars with an even greater jaundiced eye and say, "Seriously?" each time a news story or bit off the web talks about some off-the-wall be
Mark Bult
Sep 26, 2016 Mark Bult rated it really liked it
Davis’ previous book about Led Zeppelin is probably considered to be the best of the bunch, so I was interested to learn why he felt one particular year — 1975 — was worth a whole new book, albeit a slimmer one. Turns out the then-young journalist had joined Zeppelin for part of the U.S. tour that year and the magazine ended up killing his story; he lost his notes for years, and only came across them in 2005, well after publication of Hammer of the Gods.

I’m glad he followed up with this new take
Tom Gase
Dec 10, 2010 Tom Gase rated it liked it
Not the best written book I've ever read, but an entertaining read. Physical Grafitti is my favorite Led Zeppelin album, so I liked the info on how the album was made and the author's take on how he first heard the album and what it sounded like. The descriptions of the concerts are okay, but some of the analogies of how the band played its instruments were kind of corny. Hammer of the Gods, also by Stephen Davis, is a better book and this seems like a little side book of that one. I recommend r ...more
Christopher
Nov 15, 2010 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: essay
This book is a bootleg tape.

It captures the highs and lows of what Led Zeppelin were in 1975 in a first person journal-entry style narrative. There is the scratch and fuzz of the audience feeding off the musicians, and the glimpse at Zeppelin’s raw powers. You see the fuels that light the band, and weather storms and hangovers with them.

I was hoping for the feel of ‘Almost Famous’, but this band is already famous and infamous, and the book’s writing isn’t consistently wistful enough to bring it
Gabe
Aug 08, 2011 Gabe added it
Brief, unsatisfying, and highly self-absorbed account of a reporter accompanying Led Zep on their 1975 American tour. Being concerned with the year in general, there is a mention of Robert Plant's near-fatal car crash in the summer, and a single toss-away line about his son's suspicious death late in the year. But those are hardly important events in the narrative because Davis had a reconnection with a wayfaring starchild, making love and smoking hash, and just being an awesome reporter in gene ...more
Michael
Jan 15, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
If it weren't for the fact that this is short and a easy read . . . anyway, the author clearly spent no more time producing this in order to pay some bills he must have than he needed to in order to get it on the shelves to generate that $. If one wants to time-travel back to the mid-70s (albeit a version not personally experienced) this will do it. And in fact my wife did attend an LZ concert in Seattle in 1975, so there's that connection.
Carol
Jul 20, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it
Led Zeppelin provided the soundtrack of my youth. I was expecting to be launched back into the glory days. Instead, Davis provides a half baked list of gigs and songs and girls and drugs in a naive and uninspired writing style (just like that sentence). The pictures are nice but I didn't want to know about Bonham's rages, Page's drinking or Plant's sore throat. These were our gods for goodness sake! Jones doesn't get much mention; maybe he was wise enough not to speak to Davis!
Alan
Feb 03, 2014 Alan rated it it was ok
Could have just watched "Almost Famous" again (or Song Remains the Same), but it was ok. I can't help but feel that a lot of the content chosen has to do with remembering what happened through the lens of what has happened since 1975. It was fun reading a first hand account, even if he only spent a few hours with actual band members, most of the time being spent with the entourage or [his] old girlfriends.

So interesting read, but nothing too groundbreaking
Jeremy
Jun 05, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into Led Zeppelin's troubled yet triumphant 1975 American tour. For those of us born too late to have witnessed the Led Zeppelin mystique when it was at full throttle, it is a vital touchstone to understanding what it was like to attend a Zeppelin concert, and indeed follow them on tour.
Abbi Thomas
Jun 25, 2012 Abbi Thomas rated it really liked it
As a zeppelin fan, I loved reading this and getting an insight to the life behind the scenes. Although it isn't written by one of the band members, it is someone who was always close to them and saw how they behaved and what not. It has some great pictures too! I really enjoyed this and wish I could experience something like that!
Jon
Feb 19, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
Those were the days when the rockstars ruled, the fans drooled and the parents were fooled. But those days are gone. It is a good thing that Stepen Davis found his old notebooks so he can tell the tale.
Mcbear30
Mar 15, 2014 Mcbear30 rated it it was ok
An uneven, repetitive, mostly boring account of a bloodsucker's tertiary involvement with a few weeks of LZ's '75 tour. It's a magazine article ballooned into a book via 75% of the content equalling pure flatulence.
Tom
Nov 09, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read providing a glimpse into the lives of what could possibly be the greatest rock and roll band aside from the Stones. Just imagine a night with four rock stars when sex was still safe and cocaine was not habit-forming. Oh, and they had their own plane too. Yeah, good times.
Patti
Feb 27, 2015 Patti rated it liked it
What fun! In 1975 I was a year out of high school and loved LZ and Rock and Roll. Took awhile to read 182 pages because I kept stopping to listen to every piece of music and look up most of the people mentioned. Good times! For me, it was a fun read!
Jim Dennison
Feb 10, 2014 Jim Dennison rated it liked it
Good book to dip in and out of for a quick read - not super-riveting but you definitely get a sense of just what genuine 'Rock Gods' Plant and Page at least, were, during this period of time - the height of their world domination.
Chris Lilly
Lots of coke, lots of exploitative sexual encounters, mind-numbingly tedious cod mysticism, and half-hour drum solos. All played by grotesquely over-rewarded twerps who's tax exile you're supposed to sympathise with. For people who like that sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like.
Grant
Jun 16, 2011 Grant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inasmuch as I really like Led Zeppelin's music, this book demonstrates how people go out of their way to be weird - because they can.
Jeff Spears
Jan 16, 2011 Jeff Spears rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book and seemingly give every book 4 stars. A year in the life of Zeppelin on the road. A quick read but entertaining as hell.
Jason
Mar 28, 2011 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
It was alright. Always interesting to get the behind-the-scenes of musicians but, this was as much about Stephen Davis as Led Zeppelin.
William Fuentes
Nov 23, 2010 William Fuentes rated it really liked it
Interesting personal look into Zepp's 75 tour from a reporter that got to hang out in their hotels and plane and see a bunch of concerts backstage by the greatest band ever during their peak.
Eric
Dec 29, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
A snap shot of the Worlds Greatest Rock Band...as they made their way across America. The world was theirs for the taking...and boy...did they take!
  • The Man Who Sold the World: David Bowie and the 1970s
  • Drawing Ideas: A Hand-Drawn Approach for Better Design
  • No Off Switch
  • Stan Lee's How to Draw Comics: From the Legendary Creator of Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Iron Man
  • The Art of Rube Goldberg: (A) Inventive (B) Cartoon (C) Genius
  • LBJ: The Mastermind of JFK's Assassination
  • When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin
  • Evel
  • Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain
  • The Journals of Spalding Gray
  • Summer of '68: The Season That Changed Baseball—and America—Forever
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s
  • One Train Later: A Memoir
  • Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away
  • Francois Truffaut
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
  • Chain Saw Confidential: How We Made the World's Most Notorious Horror Movie
American music journalist and historian
More about Stephen Davis...

“The kids cheered every time the lights went on and a spotlight revealed Jimmy [Page] bowing his electric guitar, eliciting stygian growls and demonic shrieks, as if to draw the Dark One from his lair in hell. Invariably, some of the more astute of Led Zeppelin's listeners realized that what they were watching was in part a magic show.” 8 likes