Start by marking “Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home” as Want to Read:
Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home

Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This authoritative, accessible survey traces the development of the worldviews that underpin the Western world. It demonstrates how Christianity transformed pagan Roman culture into one that established virtually all the positive aspects of Western civilization. It uniquely discusses Western worldviews as a continuous narrative instead of simply cataloguing them.
Published August 30th 2009 by Zondervan (first published July 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Why You Think the Way You Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why You Think the Way You Do

Dave Jenkins
In the past year, I’ve been increasingly finding myself reading a lot of books on Apologetics and greatly enjoying the topic and the amount of literature in this field. As I’ve been reading on Apologetics, I’ve very quickly come to realize that I am very passionate about worldview issues and have been for a very long time. It should be of no surprise then that I’m reviewing a book on Worldviews titled Why You Think The Way You Do The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home by Dr. Glenn S. ...more
Eric Hopkins
There are so many things if find problematic in this book that I can't possibly list all of them. The most obvious of them is that it seems to present itself as a historical book. I was introduced to this book in a Early Modern World class in university in fact. However the back of the book is clearer on this as it is categorized as "Religion/Christian Theology/General". Also it's publisher is Zondervan, a publisher of religiously themed books. Also important to note is that the funding for this ...more
Brock Stout
Everyone in the West, and in the East, should read this book.
Simone
“Why You Think The Way You Do” is a really misleading title!!! I still have no clue after finishing the book. The subtitle is a little closer to the mark: “The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home” but even that is not completely accurate in my opinion. I think “The Evolution of Philosophy and Western Civilization” would have been more appropriate, although some people would say that’s splitting hairs.

The subject matter was all very interesting, I like reading about Europe in the Middle
Christopher
This book is not at all what it appears! It portrays itself as an objective look at how the western worldview developed, but it is actually just a piece of Christian apology!
Shortly into the book, you start to realize the author is Christian, and is writing from a Christian perspective, but he still does a fair job at being balanced, but about 2/3s of the way through, his gloves come off and it becomes a full attack on all things secular. He devotes an aentire chapter to trying to debunk 'Darwin
Jason Judd
Really enjoyed the first 90% of the book. At the end he began to draw some conclusion that seemed to be a stretch to drive his points home. I felt he should have kept it more factual and allowed the reader to draw their own conclusions.
Owen Kelly
A short, narrative introduction to the development of Western worldviews from a Christian perspective. The book is not unbiased in its presentation, but it does weave together a series of historical snapshots which helpfully trace the stream of worldview thinking, as the subtitle suggests, "from Rome to Home." Recommended for an easy read on this topic.
Douglas
Great book! As Western civilization throws away its Christian heritage, it returns to a lifestyle like the Romans from which it grew out. But there is hope!
Matthew
I enjoyed this book. I have read a few books on worldviews and was pleasantly surprised by this one, until the end. The vast majority of the book does a good job of explaining the transitioning of worldviews over the course of western civilization. The end however was a letdown. I guess he is too close to it and the culture wars that influence everything today. Not that I disagree with any of his basic arguments at the end, I just felt like I had heard them 100 times before.
Scott
The best part was the description of the culture-changing forces in early modern Europe. Otherwise it was just all right and needed more detail to really be persuasive. "Worldview" is a difficult term to define, anyway: http://www.leithart.com/archives/0002....
Sally
This was a broad view of history and how Christianity has impacted western civilization. I read this aloud to my kids, but much of the philosophy went over their heads. I appreciated the big picture view and also the tracing of various strands of thought throughout the centuries. However, I found myself doing a lot of spontaneous editing as I read. Sunshine writes in an academic style that would benefit from some tightening and cutting.
Diane
Interesting book on western worldviews and how Christianity has shaped western thought. The beginning of the book is very well researched, and provides insights that I haven't heard before. He also writes in a style that is accessible to the average reader. The end of the book becomes overly polemical, however, and suffers from the same defects of other works that seek to identify Christianity too closely with western civilization.
Brent
I really liked this exposition. It is similar to Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live. It discusses philosophical issues in more depth (Schaeffer focuses more on art). As a newer work there is more on postmodernism. It evaluates the positions from a Christian perspective which I share; those who do not will likely find the value judgments grating. The style is a bit informal.
Lynne
Interesting overview of the history of Western thought and how Christianity has influenced and continues to influence the daily lives and thought even of those who do not consider themselves religious, much less Christian. Some may think the author overstates the influence of Christianity on Western humans but he makes a good and well thought out argument.
David Rathel
A history of ideas book that chronicles the development of Western civilization. Good, easy read. Also, I agree with many of the author's (controversial) conclusions in the concluding chapter and was glad to see someone have the courage to say such things in print.
Alexa Price
The beginning and some middle parts were really hard to get through because it felt like a dry history a d historiography, but the author came full circle and really made his point at the end. I enjoyed the book, it was refreshing to hear his perspective.
William
Oct 22, 2010 William rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
This book was truly, truly awful. It devolves from an apparently normal history book to inane conservative ranting. There are so many things wrong with the second half of the book I don't even know where to begin.
Ike
The first 7 chapters were okay and somewhat interesting.

But from chapter 8 to the end, it became bogged down in his political opinions and had a rather pessimistic outlook on life and western civilization.
Chris J
Very good book that I would suggest to anyone. Deserves somewhere between 4-5 stars. Very assessable writing perfect for a high school senior/college freshman.
Kevin
Thought of "Poetry of the Universe" many times as I read the first half of the book. Good history of civilization progression and how world views impact societies.
Steve Godfrey
Very helpful historical survey of Western world views. Provides context for understanding current cultural dynamics.
David Ford
David Ford marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Ericka Thompson
Ericka Thompson marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Ronald Haygood
Ronald Haygood is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
imLock
imLock marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hollywood Worldviews: Watching Films with Wisdom and Discernment
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • A Francis A. Schaeffer Trilogy: Three Essential Books in One Volume
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Consequences of Ideas
  • Living at the Crossroads: An Introduction to Christian Worldview
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning
  • How Christianity Changed the World
  • Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change
Reformation for Armchair Theologians The Reformation for Armchair Theologians Reforming French Protestantism: The Development of Huguenot Ecclesiastical Institutions, 1557-1572 Reformation Fur Zwischendurch

“Not only are people created in the image of God, but all people are spiritually equal before God. More than anything else, this idea separated Judaism, which was a national or ethnic religion, from Christianity. Jews and Gentiles, men and women, slaves and free, Romans and barbarians, all were welcome in the church as equals.” 0 likes
“To the Christian, the route to a meaningful life was found in sacrificial service to others in imitation of Jesus.” 0 likes