Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home

Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  17 reviews
People often talk about worldview when describing the philosophy that guides their lives. But how have we come by our worldviews, and what impact did Christianity have on those that are common to Western civilization? This authoritative, accessible survey traces the development of the worldviews that underpin the Western world. It demonstrates the decisive impact that the...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Zondervan (first published July 2nd 2009)

Dave Jenkins
In the past year, I’ve been increasingly finding myself reading a lot of books on Apologetics and greatly enjoying the topic and the amount of literature in this field. As I’ve been reading on Apologetics, I’ve very quickly come to realize that I am very passionate about worldview issues and have been for a very long time. It should be of no surprise then that I’m reviewing a book on Worldviews titled Why You Think The Way You Do The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home by Dr. Glenn S....more
Eric Hopkins
There are so many things if find problematic in this book that I can't possibly list all of them. The most obvious of them is that it seems to present itself as a historical book. I was introduced to this book in a Early Modern World class in university in fact. However the back of the book is clearer on this as it is categorized as "Religion/Christian Theology/General". Also it's publisher is Zondervan, a publisher of religiously themed books. Also important to note is that the funding for this...more
Simone
“Why You Think The Way You Do” is a really misleading title!!! I still have no clue after finishing the book. The subtitle is a little closer to the mark: “The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home” but even that is not completely accurate in my opinion. I think “The Evolution of Philosophy and Western Civilization” would have been more appropriate, although some people would say that’s splitting hairs.

The subject matter was all very interesting, I like reading about Europe in the Middle...more
Christopher
This book is not at all what it appears! It portrays itself as an objective look at how the western worldview developed, but it is actually just a piece of Christian apology!
Shortly into the book, you start to realize the author is Christian, and is writing from a Christian perspective, but he still does a fair job at being balanced, but about 2/3s of the way through, his gloves come off and it becomes a full attack on all things secular. He devotes an aentire chapter to trying to debunk 'Darwin...more
Matthew
I enjoyed this book. I have read a few books on worldviews and was pleasantly surprised by this one, until the end. The vast majority of the book does a good job of explaining the transitioning of worldviews over the course of western civilization. The end however was a letdown. I guess he is too close to it and the culture wars that influence everything today. Not that I disagree with any of his basic arguments at the end, I just felt like I had heard them 100 times before.
Scott
The best part was the description of the culture-changing forces in early modern Europe. Otherwise it was just all right and needed more detail to really be persuasive. "Worldview" is a difficult term to define, anyway: http://www.leithart.com/archives/0002....
Sally
This was a broad view of history and how Christianity has impacted western civilization. I read this aloud to my kids, but much of the philosophy went over their heads. I appreciated the big picture view and also the tracing of various strands of thought throughout the centuries. However, I found myself doing a lot of spontaneous editing as I read. Sunshine writes in an academic style that would benefit from some tightening and cutting.
Diane
Interesting book on western worldviews and how Christianity has shaped western thought. The beginning of the book is very well researched, and provides insights that I haven't heard before. He also writes in a style that is accessible to the average reader. The end of the book becomes overly polemical, however, and suffers from the same defects of other works that seek to identify Christianity too closely with western civilization.
Brent
I really liked this exposition. It is similar to Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live. It discusses philosophical issues in more depth (Schaeffer focuses more on art). As a newer work there is more on postmodernism. It evaluates the positions from a Christian perspective which I share; those who do not will likely find the value judgments grating. The style is a bit informal.
Lynne
Interesting overview of the history of Western thought and how Christianity has influenced and continues to influence the daily lives and thought even of those who do not consider themselves religious, much less Christian. Some may think the author overstates the influence of Christianity on Western humans but he makes a good and well thought out argument.
David Rathel
A history of ideas book that chronicles the development of Western civilization. Good, easy read. Also, I agree with many of the author's (controversial) conclusions in the concluding chapter and was glad to see someone have the courage to say such things in print.
Alexa Price
The beginning and some middle parts were really hard to get through because it felt like a dry history a d historiography, but the author came full circle and really made his point at the end. I enjoyed the book, it was refreshing to hear his perspective.
William
Oct 22, 2010 William rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
This book was truly, truly awful. It devolves from an apparently normal history book to inane conservative ranting. There are so many things wrong with the second half of the book I don't even know where to begin.
Ike
The first 7 chapters were okay and somewhat interesting.

But from chapter 8 to the end, it became bogged down in his political opinions and had a rather pessimistic outlook on life and western civilization.
Chris J
Very good book that I would suggest to anyone. Deserves somewhere between 4-5 stars. Very assessable writing perfect for a high school senior/college freshman.
Kevin
Thought of "Poetry of the Universe" many times as I read the first half of the book. Good history of civilization progression and how world views impact societies.
Steve Godfrey
Very helpful historical survey of Western world views. Provides context for understanding current cultural dynamics.
Dawn Weaver
Dawn Weaver marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Mandie Platz
Mandie Platz is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Sean Nemecek
Sean Nemecek marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
May 26, 2014
Otto
Otto added it
May 15, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Reformation for Armchair Theologians Reforming French Protestantism: The Development of Huguenot Ecclesiastical Institutions, 1557-1572 Reformation Fur Zwischendurch