Start by marking “Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)

Behind the Lines (The Corps #7)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,585 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Behind the Lines is W. E. B. Griffin's powerful novel of World War II -- and the courage, patriotism, and sacrifice of those who fought it.

By 1942, the Japanese have routed the outnumbered American forces and conquered the Philippines. But deep in the island jungles, the combat continues. Refusing to surrender, a renegade Army officer organizes a resistance force and vows
Published September 1st 1996 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 3rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Lines

Mary JL
Jul 27, 2011 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of WWII and/or military fiction
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: action-adventure
This is book #7 in Griffin's series about the U S Marine Corps.

He tells the contining stories of different characters throughout the series; therefore, if read in order, which I have done, they make a lot more sense.

Still, if necessary the book could stand alone. Griffin does military fiction quite well and I enjoy his style. Since this focuses "behind the lines" there are no huge ptiched battles. Instead it cosues on guerilla operations in the Philippines after MacArthur left.

Grffin also touche
Henry Brown
Dec 02, 2014 Henry Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-military
My introduction to W.E.B. Griffin's fiction was a few volumes from the Brotherhood of War series. I read The Captains,The Majors, and The Colonels from that series before giving up on it. I wanted to read some war novels, and wasn't sure beyond a reasonable doubt until after reading three installments that Griffin wasn't really trying to write war novels. He is more interested in the back room/office politics of military brass--some of which takes place when the country happens to be at war. Tho ...more
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Griffin's series about the Corps and have read all his awesome works. I can't recall reading a more engaging series with characters all so rich and colorful each of them could be an awesome novel of their own. But Griffin smashes them all together into one nuclear story.

Amazingly colorful characters - Kenneth "Killer" Kelley and his gorgeous wife Ernestine Sage, Jack "NMI" Stecker, Pick Pickering, Sgt Zimmerman, etc....... The list just goes on and on and they never lose thei
David Erickson
surrender to the Japanese invaders, but many refuse and either escape or go into hiding. On the island of Mindanao one of these men, a self-proclaimed brigadier general, Colonel Fertig, cobbles together a band of American and Pilipino irregulars to commence an organized resistance against the Japanese occupying force.

This a story of how an intrepid group, authorized by President Roosevelt, attempts to make contact with and determine the efficacy of this General Fertig, and whether his force shou
Kathy Stone
Mar 08, 2014 Kathy Stone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-the-library
This was a great story about American Guerrilla Operations in the Philippines during World War II. Some of the characters in this novel were real people, but not all. Lieutenant Colonel Wendell Fertig was a real Reserve Officer in the United States Army, but to make the Filipinos take him seriously he took the title Brigadier General. Self Promotion is not looked upon very nicely in the United States Military.

Also there is a lot of strategy and inter-military politics in this novel. That was a
JoAnn Hall
Jan 20, 2016 JoAnn Hall rated it really liked it
Loved it
Sep 10, 2010 John rated it did not like it
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
Jul 10, 2016 Adan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Generals and admirals wage internal warfare to decide the fate of Filipino-American resistance in the Philippines.

The Philippine Islands. 1942. Bataan is under siege and about to fall. Before the final defenses cease resistance against the Imperial Japanese Army an unconventional US Army Reserve officer named Wendell Fertig is sent to setup guerrilla operations on the deep southern island of Mindanao. Several months later both Australia and the US Navy receive strange, primitive radio transition
Jul 12, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
After I finished re-reading "Behind the Lines" I realized that this is certainly Griffin's best work. Griffin's later work went downhill and his recent books are just terrible. Not so Behind the Lines. Probably because much of this novel closely follows historical events --- events that Griffin was determined to relate accurately and well.

The story is that of Lt. Col. Wendell Fertig, who before the war served as an civilian engineer in the Philippines. Early in 1940 Fertig was commissioned as a
Jun 14, 2014 Roland rated it it was ok
too long
Nov 06, 2010 Bjoern rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads, military
Well i start to understand what some other reviewer meant by calling the Corps series unnecessarily repetitive. I'm on the verge of getting annoyed with all this overlapping periods in the narrative myself, where in the right order i would have found all of this really interesting, good written and not the least boring. But when you've just finished the last book thrilled by the current development in the lives of the protagonists (and he has quite a few of these) and opened the next volume just ...more
James Burns
Nov 28, 2013 James Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-librairy, fiction
Unlike some of the reviews I read, I found what they called repetitious,I would call it refreshing your memory or reminding you about a certain character or event quite refreshing and welcome on my part since my memory has shorten with age and wear. I also enjoyed the the conversations, with the italic words used for what the character is really thinking and then back to what he actually says. In my opinion this is the best book in this series that I have read. The book flowed easy and I had a h ...more
Jun 07, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-action
The Philippine Guerilla Operation. As Bataan and Corregidor fall, precious few US servicemen escape to try and get to Australia or begin the insurrection against the Japanese. As the Americans dictate all units surrender, Wendell Hertig sets himself up as the US Forces Philippines commander and begins to assemble a ragtag army of escapees under the Japs noses. Flem Pickering sets to certify Wertig's legitimacy and begin efforts to resupply him and evacuate what wounded he can. Killer McCoy is ID ...more
Robert Barbantini
Aug 27, 2016 Robert Barbantini rated it did not like it
I should learn my lesson about reading "historical fiction" of this nature. Poor writing, hard to follow plot, a lot of side comments and dialogue that is unnecessary...if I want to read this type of "non-literature," I'll just get some Bill O'Reilly stuff...

Michał Szczepaniak
May 05, 2013 Michał Szczepaniak rated it it was amazing
W. E. B. Griffin to jeden z najlepszych autorow ksiazek o tematyce wojennej od czasow Ramzesa II. Pisane w bardzo charakterystyczny sposob i oparte przede wszystkim na dialogach i na subiektywnych opisach wydarzen od poszczegolnych bohaterow - co przywodzi na mysl, w pewnym sensie, czytanie zbioru pamietnikow uczestnikow wydarzen - sa niesamowicie autentyczne, zywe, angazujace intelektualnie i emocjonalnie.

Wada Griffina jest jedynie to, iz ma ogromna pasje do niezwyklego rozkrecania ilosci boha
Jun 23, 2014 Rosie rated it liked it
audio book - good military history and info. good description of tactics used in the Philipines after MacArthur left and the OSS (CIA) was started. voices were a little confusing.
Sep 07, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok
Shelves: miitary-fiction
I noticed about 3/4 of the way through that there's not as much description of military equipment in this one as in the previous ones. There was, however, a lot of repetition of stuff from the end of the previous book, which I found a little frustrating. I imagine if you were waiting for the release of the next book in a series, it would make sense for it to rehash the stuff you might have read a year ago, but when you've only just finished the previous one, the repetition is just a tad annoying ...more
Mar 15, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
This book focused mainly on the US guerilla operations against the Japanese in the Philipines, specifically the island of Mindanao. The overlapping timelines from the first few books are greatly reduced if not eliminated by this point in the series. There are all the old familiar faces as well as several new ones. Overall a great read. I am thinking I need a break from this series (I've read the first 7 in about a week and a half) as the lack of being in the thick of the action is starting to an ...more
Mar 05, 2016 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Another outstanding book in the series. Characters so rich that it feels like we know them all....all the way from the fighting Marine to the President. They create a plot so thick that the reader can hardly put it down. That said, the text repeats that make this book able to be read independently, are annoying for the series reader like me. Also, this book in the series, #7, predates #6. I wouldn't throw it out just because it looses style points in that department. Where's #8?
Sep 26, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it
Did not finish listening to this book. 2nd disc had 20+ "f" bombs.
Ronald Wise
Book VII of The Corps Series, of which I had read three earlier books. The story of World War II in the Pacific Theater continued with the focus shifting to American guerilla combatants in the Philippines and the effort to support them. Unique to this one of the series was the emergence of a villain — a cowardly Marine who gets his due. This series was recommended by librarian Nancy Peary in the "World War II Fiction" recommendations of Book Lust.
Jun 10, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
If not the best, then right there near the top of The Corps books I've read so far. "Killer" McCoy is put in charge by the top brass (think Brigadier General Fleming via Douglas MacArthur and President FDR) to establish contact with guerilla forces in the Philippines to establish their viability as a rebel force against the Japanese during WWII. Full of emotion, politics, and some intense action scenes, this book was the perfect addition to this series.
Jul 03, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Griffin writes villains in a comfortable, reassuring way. The "good" villains (those on the US side) are invariably impotent and you routinely get the satisfaction of seeing them either shut down or put in their place without particular harm to the good guy cause, and the "bad" villains (Japanese) are capable and deadly without being caricatures. It also helps to know the overall ending before you start (viz. we win).
Dec 25, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Griffin had one of the characters make a reference to Edgar Bergen and his puppet Charlie McCarthy - and adds that he is the father of Candance Bergen, the actress. The book is set in 1942. Candance Bergen was born in 1946 - after the war ended. A good editor would have picked that up.
Bob Richard
Jun 24, 2009 Bob Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started with a bang then slowed down some as the new storyline was developed. As usual with Griffin's books, if you've read the early books in the series there is some repetition as he goes over the repeat characters' background, but he seems to have handled it better in this book. The conclusion was better than his norm.
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 Joel Ungar rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I've been reading the series in order, and I definitely liked this one better than most. You read a Griffin book, you pretty much know what you're going to get.

This one is based on the real life guerrilla operations conducted by "General" Wendell Fertig in the Phillipines. Great story.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 08, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Book seven of the Corps series. An American Army reserve officer sets up a guerrilla operation on Mindanao. The usual cast of the series [ McCoy, Sergeant Koefler, MacArthur, and Captain Macklin ] appear. The book captures the fighting spirit of the Marines.
Jan 11, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
As always Griffin is one amazing story teller....I picked the book up in the AM and didn't stop until 10pm that same night when I was done with it...the book was a great story....and poor General Pickering.....he just can't ever win.
Bill Jackman
May 20, 2012 Bill Jackman rated it really liked it
Not good history, but actually more accurate than some of the WWII history books I have read, if you ignore the main characters.
David Stewart
So far very interesting book about the guerrilla warfare against the Japanese in WWII.
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • Churchill and America
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Hammer Heads
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • Vortex
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)

“McInerney said. Weston looked at him in confusion.” 0 likes