Start by marking “Coming Apart (Main Street, #9)” as Want to Read:
Coming Apart (Main Street, #9)

Coming Apart (Main Street #9)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  15 reviews

When Nikki's father left her family, she thought all the trouble would be over. No more screaming. No more fighting. No more rages. But now he's coming back one last time, and Nikki isn't sure what's going to happen. Luckily, she has good friends like Flora, Ruby, and Olivia to stand behind her -- and a mom who cares about her kids enough to pull them through a hard time.
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Coming Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Apart

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

The ninth installment of Ann M. Martin's MAIN STREET series, this is Nikki's story.

Her father comes back to finalize the divorce between himself and her mother. She is very anxious about his return, and the chapters dealing with her and her family were very compelling.

To go along with Nikki's problems, Olivia is feeling peer pressure to have a boyfriend, Flora wants to help everyone, and Ruby is trying to decide who is lying and who is not. This all
Varshini
When Nikki's father, Mr.Sherman left the family Nikki thought everything will be fine. No more fighting. No more screaming. No more rages. But the things were not the way she expected it to be. Mr.Sherman is returning home one last time to take his things and to sign the divorce papers. Luckily she has friends like, Ruby, Flora and Olivia who care about friendship. And, a mother who has the courage to pull her kids through a hard time. Will Mr.Sherman's return change things from bad to worse?
Re
babyhippoface
Although this is probably my least-favorite in the Main Street series, I still enjoyed reading it. I think I liked it less because several characters spend a majority of the book upset or worried or sad. Also, I think this is the first time Martin has closed a Main Street book with an unresolved issue, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure she'll pick the story up in book 10 right where she left off here, but I like a neatly-wrapped ending. Still, a solid read.
Brett
Martin continues to follow the lives of people living in Camden Falls in a gentle & cozy way. This book includes the tying up of Nikki's family situation when her Dad comes to town to complete divorce proceedings, Olivia's struggle with whether or not she's ready to have a real boyfriend & an introduction to the the moodiness that comes with teenage years, & Ruby's becoming more responsible because of a bad choice. A great escape book.
Lydia
Cute.
Adorable.
Sweet.
Quirky.
Family-oriented.
The list of adjectives to describe it could go one.

It may be a little young, but Coming Apart and the whole Main Street series itself is just such a perfect blend of humor, relateable characters, reality, but also growing up.

It's like a younger version of Wendy Mass' books.

So, in other words, a good read :)
I liked this one, and it was interesting to read about Nikki's dad and how horrible he was, even at the end...what a mess. Perfect Flora is about to set me over the edge, though, even though I see so much of myself in her!
Kristina
This was not my favorite of the Main Street series, I love Ann M Martin but this book was kind of dull. Too sad and a little depressing for a kids book but it was still interesting, definitely a quick read!
Kristin Pierce
Another book in a series (Main Street) for girls who have graduated from Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones. All the characters are realistic and these books warm the heart.
Katie
This is the latest book in this series I read recently. It was really good. I liked how it focused on one of the characters that they usually dont in this series.
Hannah
Mar 30, 2011 Hannah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great - I am currently reading it. I have read the whole series and they all have been spectacular! Thanks... :) I guess.
Kacy
Nov 24, 2010 Kacy added it
Read almost all the Main Street books. Good for ages 8-11 girls
Aly
love how she added the twist of the dad come back in the picture
Erin
ok...good for kids 10 and below
Laslee
Laslee added it
May 11, 2015
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
Olivia
Olivia added it
May 01, 2015
Zarqua Zafar
Zarqua Zafar marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mikayla Rochester
Mikayla Rochester marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Nikki
Nikki added it
Apr 27, 2015
Myah
Myah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Madhumitha
Madhumitha marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ama
Ama marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Victoria Zigler
Victoria Zigler marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • The Sisters Club: Cloudy with a Chance of Boys
  • K-ON! High School
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Accidentally Fooled (Accidentally, #3; Candy Apple #16)
  • The Best Is Yet to Come (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes Super Special, #1)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Wish Upon A Star (How I Survived Middle School, #11)
  • The Secret of the Sphinx (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Sunny Holiday (Sunny Holiday, #1)

More about Ann M. Martin...

Main Street (10 books)
  • Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)
  • Needle and Thread (Main Street, #2)
  • 'Tis the Season (Main Street, #3)
  • Best Friends (Main Street, #4)
  • The Secret Book Club (Main Street, #5)
  • September Surprises (Main Street, #6)
  • Keeping Secrets (Main Street, #7)
  • Special Delivery (Main Street, #8)
  • Staying Together (Main Street, #10)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)

“Olivia was moody. Moody wasn't a word with which she was very familiar, but if it meant that her moods swung back and forth for no reason at all, and that she felt crabby and wanted to be alone more often than she felt content and friendly, and that she was often tempted to slam her bedroom door - preferably in someone's face - well, then, moody described perfectly the way she'd been feeling lately.” 7 likes