Start by marking “The Gown of Glory” as Want to Read:
The Gown of Glory

Agnes Sligh Turnbull

The Gown of Glory

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
David Lyall brings his new wife from the city to his rural manse expecting to stay only a year. Instead he is there for the long haul, bringing up his three children, and doing his best for his small community
Published (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Gown of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gown of Glory

Mar 13, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About a minister and his family living in a small town.

This book was a lovely read; I enjoyed every second, every word. It's beautiful in the town's simpicity; due to the era the book was written in; and the characters were a joy to read about.

The storyline that runs throughout it is the most beautiful; the ministers sweet daughter, falling in love with a young man from the city. It's slightly humourous; makes you smile, for she believes him to be a poor book seller, and pleads with him not to s
Walter
Nov 07, 2014 Walter rated it really liked it
In this old novel from 1952, Agnes Sligh Turnbull tells us the story of a Presbyterian minister and his family in a small town in Pennsylvania at the turn of the century. When I began this book it read like it would be like another version of Alcott's "Little Women", a novel of which I am not a fan. But as I got into this novel I realized that "Gown of Glory" is a much more profound and interesting novel.

David Lyell, a Presbyterian minister in Pennsylvania, comes to a small town in Western Penns
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
this is an old fashion book written in 1950’s but it could have been in 1880's. lots of descriptions and we'll built plot and story. I enjoyed it but it's definitely not the kind of writing in used to. it was worth the trading though. old fashion family and village life. nothing like today. in spite of not relating to the life style of back then, I mean the highlight if this family was getting a bathroom in their house at the end, I enjoyed the spiritual thoughts that are timeless
Kim
Feb 13, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
This was a truly old fashioned book in the best meaning of the phrase. I loved the family from the beginning and found myself so immersed that when the shocking occurance happens, I think I was as surprised as the entire town. I don't know if there are more books about this same family, but I certainly want to know more about their lives. Thank you so much, Rachel, for indroducing me to this author. I am now on the lookout for more of her!
Stacy
Jan 29, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't that Turnbull produced a great work of literature. This isn't a book for those aspiring to erudition. But it is a book I found encouraging. It summoned me back to the day of small things, reminded me that my place of service is in my corner of the world, that this here and this now is worth doing well, however un-glamorous it might be. And I needed that reminder when I read it.

As a sweet, old, encouraging story, I recommend this.
Callie
Apr 05, 2010 Callie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-2010
This is a sweet and gentle story set in a small town in 1900, describing the ups and downs of village life from the point of view of the local pastor and his family. Nicely paced, and not saccharine, I enjoyed this one.
Jan
Apr 02, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jan by: My mom
I loved Agnes Sligh Turnbull as teenager, and still enjoy rereading her books. Her stories are almost all about ministers - clean - good characters - a little romance.
Margareth8537
Nov 06, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it
Quite a slight book in many ways, but also the kind of book that makes you feel better about life - that good things can happen to good people!
Katie
Jun 23, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Wonderful story of a simpler time.
Audrey Simpson
Audrey Simpson marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Lynley McCarthy
Lynley McCarthy rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Taylour
Taylour marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Minn
Minn marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
KH
KH added it
Feb 14, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Callie Moon
Callie Moon marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ann Miller
Ann Miller rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Tsitsidzashe M
Tsitsidzashe M marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Novelist Agnes Sligh Turnbull was born in 1888 in New Alexandria, PA. After a dozen years as a short story writer, Turnbull wrote her first novel, The Rolling Years, published in 1936. In the 14 additional novels she wrote over the next 40-plus years, Turnbull built a thorough chronicle of the Scots who settled and farmed rural Westmoreland County. Turnbull died in 1982.
More about Agnes Sligh Turnbull...