Start by marking “Mandingo” as Want to Read:
Mandingo

Mandingo (Falconhurst #1)

Mandingo is a novel written in 1957 by Kyle Onstott. The book is set in the 1830s in the antebellum South primarily around Falconhurst, a fictional plantation in Alabama owned by the planter Warren Maxwell. The narrative centers on Maxwell, his son Hammond, and the Mandingo (or Mandinka) slave Ganymede, or Mede. It is a tale of cruelty toward the blacks of that time, conta ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Abridged & Uncensored, 639 pages
Published 1958 by Fawcett Crest Giant (first published 1957)

Ij
Feb 05, 2011 Ij rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago. I don't remember the whole story; however, I remember it is about slavery in the U.S. I think this is a historical fiction because the book actually reflexes many of the atrocities that actually occurred during slavery. The characters are not real; however, slave owners, overseers, and slaves are a historical fact. Slaves had to work as house and field slaves under owners and overseers who saw them as property rather than human beings. Slaves had to live in poor ...more
Karla
Oct 18, 2010 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patient readers with morbid curiosity, the not easily offended
Petra Eggs
Dec 30, 2014 Petra Eggs marked it as books-reviewed-but-not-read
Recommended to Petra Eggs by: orion
This book published in 1957 is apparently very racist and does not take the negative view of slavery that the post-60s civil rights era changed for most people. I'm interested in reading it from that angle.
Gail
Aug 09, 2008 Gail rated it liked it
Now this book is about fifty flavors of racist, and bigotry just leaps from the pages, yet it is a compelling read. Not for the faint of heart or the historically literate, it's like a train wreck -- once you start, you can't put it down!

Onstott is not a "Great American Writer", but he takes some of the most hated traditions of an evil institutions and blends them into a sexy soap opera and somehow it becomes memorable.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a "Must Read" by any stretch of the imagination
Tracy Verma
Sep 30, 2012 Tracy Verma rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a little rough around the edges and may offend some that read it but for me it opened a veil into another time and showed a sad and violent truth. I loved this book and have read it more than once. The characters are very well developed and the storyline is interesting. This is one of my favorite books although I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as it paints an ugly picture of the past that some do not wish to see.
Alan Smith
Apr 19, 2013 Alan Smith rated it liked it
I was a hot-blooded young adolescent when I first discovered Lance Horner and Kyle Onstott's "Falconhurst" series, and they hooked me totally. These authors built up a kind of fictionalized Deep South comparable to Hardy's Wessex, and while the books varied in quality, they were usually an entertaining read. Revisiting the works in adulthood I found a few flaws - plots tend to be a bit samey, the dialogue of the Negro slaves can be wearying to decipher, and it's hard to fall for the implication ...more
Dee's Reading Zone
This story is not for the faint at heart because it is racism at its worst but it was the way of life in the antebellum South in Alabama- plantation: Falconhurst! Characters were well-rounded and language raw.

Hammond's wife Blanche was not a virgin (like all the slaves he like to bed) piece of work and played her part well of a vengeful wife and jealous slave mistress on the plantation. Hammond was a likable slave owner but he showed too many sides of what the white man was allowed (elitist) an
George Kouri
May 11, 2011 George Kouri rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a teenager and in hindsight I can say that it made quite an impression on me. First it was mature reading beyond my years and second it was a crash course on slavery in America. Impressive on both counts.
Orion
Feb 13, 2013 Orion rated it it was amazing
First published in 1959, before the civil rights movement had changed much in the USA, Mandingo is a book that takes a harsh and simplistic view of slavery in the 1830's South. As the author recreates this period, slaves are animals to be bred, worked, and sold as the owners see fit. The N-word is used frequently, and slaves are represented as simple-minded and devoted to their owners. Bored by their rural life, young white men enjoy sex with their female slaves and wagering on fights between th ...more
John Tatum
Mar 12, 2014 John Tatum rated it it was amazing
This book was my introduction to slavery as it was practiced here in the United States long before my family came to the American shores. While not a novel of "high style", it is a novel that showed the brutality of slavery long before Alex Haley even thought about writing "Roots". Given the background of the author in "dog show judging", he gave a unique perspective of a "master" who treated his slaves worse than one would treat a dog. Warning, this book is BRUTAL and makes "Roots" look like a ...more
Zorena
Apr 21, 2011 Zorena rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction
This was in a pile of what I'll call my Mom's trash books along with the Harold Robbins and Jacqueline Susann. I would read anything within hand's reach then as there was only the school library or a very small town book store.

All I can say is "What an eye opener for a young Canadian girl". While I knew the book itself wasn't fact it taught me a little more than school was teaching me about our southern neighbours. I ended up reading the whole pile that Mom had as it was fascinating yet sickeni
Lindy Bell
Jun 17, 2014 Lindy Bell rated it it was ok
My father had all of these books and they were quite sensational in their day, so I sneakily read them as a teenager. I read Mandingo again a few years ago and was able to view it as a much older adult. It is very racist and yet the white characters are not portrayed sympathetically either. The writer does not form "sides"; he writes the characters' stories almost dispassionately and the reader is left to form his own opinion as to each character's merits or failings, and the culture of the time ...more
KennyO
Nov 27, 2014 KennyO rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
When I read this in the 1970s I was quite surprised to learn that it had been published in 1957. It portrays slavery and racism in the 1800s and, in that portrayal, it is sure to offend post-60s sensibilities. As the historic conditions of slavery go, this is mild except, maybe, in the minds of our contemporaries. The plot is strong and the writing is competent so it's no struggle at all to read. I won't recommend it for anyone in particular, though. If you read it just keep in mind that it's a ...more
Susan
Jul 05, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
Now we are adding books from my father's extensive booklist - not so well-known authors with not so noble plots. Certainly this story is a compelling one - and from an awful time in our country's history when folks could own other people and do terrible things to them. A story of bigotry, lust and hatred.
Shahed
Feb 25, 2016 Shahed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
امروز پنجشنبه ششم اسفند 1394 وقتی می خواستم اطلاعات مربوط به این کتاب را وارد سایت کنم، نگاهی دوباره به آن انداختم. باورم نمی شود که 515 صفحه آن را ظرف مدت پنج روز خوانده ام
مرحوم محمد قاضی در مقدمه چهار صفحه ای کتاب اطلاعات مبسوطی در مورد نویسنده آن ( کایل آنستوت ) و معنی نام اصلی کتاب ( مندینگو ) ارائه کرده است
Stasha
Dec 30, 2010 Stasha rated it liked it
I was in middle school when I read this and I found the duality fascinating and disturbing. Wow, I had forgotten what the cover even looked like, but I remember the title and the dog-eared pages of scenes that got passed around the lunch table...
Naghmeh
Jul 16, 2016 Naghmeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب معرکه ست..
فقط در عجبم چرا اینهمه کتاب شبیه به این و کسی ترجمه نکرده یعنی اسم کتابهای معروف و که ورق میزنی زیرش یه سری کتاب همسان هم معرفی کرده ولی تمام اون معروفها و خوندنیهاش بدون ترجمه فارسی مونده
چرا ؟
ترجمه اش کنید دوستان خواهشا...
Evan
I'm adding this because I want to add a new category: "miscegenation sensation". And because Tracey reminded me of it; the book, I mean.
Walt
Dec 04, 2008 Walt rated it it was ok
Shelves: americana
This was an agonizingly long novel with no seeming point except to draw out the double-standards of Southern Culture; and the social ills of Southern White Men.
Andy2302
Dec 25, 2016 Andy2302 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that opened my eyes to the Joy of Reading.
I was in my early 20s reading to fall asleep. This one wouldn't let me doze off. I could 'see' and 'feel' the story unfold.
That was a lifetime ago.
Ralph Carlson
Feb 14, 2017 Ralph Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is an informative read about slavery, it is also very appalling and disturbing.
Sue Fenske
Jan 12, 2017 Sue Fenske marked it as to-read
Cannot read book, it Can't be opened.
Booklover
Aug 03, 2014 Booklover rated it it was ok
I'm marking this a read, although I didnt actually read it, my mother did and then gave me a blow by blow verbal accounting of the story. The ending has haunted me for years.

She had found it in a pile of discarded paperbacks at the laundromat. I was about 12 and I remember her reading a few pages, gasping and then throwing the read pages into our woodstove in sections as she read it. I asked to read the discarded pages but she said it was too terrible (probably so for a 12 year old), but I got t
Smith Nickerson
May 12, 2011 Smith Nickerson rated it liked it
Pretty much trash writing. I always seem to have found a copy of this series during the late 60's and 70's in variuos hospitals and service clubs and would read it if there was nothing better around. It sure beat Reader's Digest or Norman Vincent Peale.

I first noticed it at a drugstore paperback rack. Somebody always turned it around so that the cover was not displayed. Must have been really upsetting to some people. The series is very heavy into a S&M theme using racism as an element.

I thi
Smuggs
Feb 15, 2014 Smuggs rated it it was amazing
I read this book 35 years ago in high school. It was confiscated by my English Teacher, Mr. Ayre. Incidentally, I checked this book out from the public library. It was a controversy all those years ago. Amazing book about life and the trials/tribulations of one man's life. The reason why we should never give up hope. I am going to read it again.
Jeannie
Jan 16, 2014 Jeannie rated it really liked it
Read this before I was a teenager, my Dad was into this kind of book and I would grab it and read some whenever he laid it down. I remember feeling so naughty reading it, I had no true idea of what slavery was about until this book opened my eyes. Shocking reading for a pre-teen and just as shocking to read it again now that I'm an adult.
G.C. Neff
Jun 16, 2015 G.C. Neff rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago. It's brutal in places, not surprising since it was set in a time when people owned slaves. Since this was the mentality at the time, I have to say that it's a fairly true description of what went on then, a historical novel that captures the terrible treatment of some humans at the whims of others.
Sherry
Apr 27, 2011 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by an older cousin when I was in my teens and it opened a whole new world with which I was unfamiliar. Had I had a book cover to put over it I would have used it! I suppose it would seem mild today.
Chris Gager
May 23, 2011 Chris Gager rated it liked it
Typical sensationalist novel of it's time, i.e. lots of sex and violence. Read this and "Drum" and "Drum Beat" pretty much back to back to back. I ain't proud of it but so what. I was very young and in the Navy. Date read is a guess.
Jaime Contreras
Aug 02, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it it was ok
A book I read as a teen about forbidden love racism and the Southern aristocracy. This is one of my guilty reads because it is a sensual and violent story..
  • The Mustee
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)
  • The Black Swan
  • The Golden Hawk
  • Dark Fires (Brandon-Morgan #2)
  • Lily Cigar
  • Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
  • Little Black Girl Lost 4: The Diary of Josephine Baptiste
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • The Dangerous Dandy
119365
(Information from the article "The Master of Mandingo" by Rudy Maxa, which appeared in The Washington Post, July 13, 1975.)

The son of a midwestern general store owner, he moved to California with his widowed mother in the early 1900s and was a local breeder and judge in regional dog shows. He was an eccentric who was happy with a life of little work, ample cigarettes, and gin.

After collaborating w
More about Kyle Onstott...

Falconhurst (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Drum