Start by marking “The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  161,942 ratings  ·  11,713 reviews
Read the second book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series that is soon to be a motion picture, hitting theaters September 18, 2015, and is perfectfor fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent. The first book, The Maze Runner, is now a movie featuring the star of MTV's Teen Wolf, Dylan O’Brien; Kaya Scodelario; Aml Ameen; Will Poulter; and Thomas Brodie-Sang ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scorch Trials, please sign up.

Eajas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kaykee
During this entire book, I counted how many times Thomas ended up passing out or sleeping either at the end of a chapter or paragraph and did you want to know what the finally count was?

29.

29 times this guy blacked out!! Out of 360 pages, Thomas left you with the cliff hanger of "and finally he slept" 29 times. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

If this didn't annoy you at all, reread this book (NOT RECOMMENDED) and realize that this dude spent most of his life passed out. Then try to tell me you didn't

Emily May

What the hell? Even though I have sometimes enjoyed a book and not really liked the sequel, it's very rare that I would love one and absolutely hate the other. I desperately tried to finish it but I was bored, I kept getting distracted by either my family, my cats or some random fluff on the carpet... so I just skim-read it to the end and gave myself a basic idea of what the conclusion was.

I truly loved The Maze Runner, even though quite a few people found it annoying - particularly the protag
Thomas
I AM SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.

I hate it when people do that. Don't you just want to tell them," okay, calm down. It's not like writing in caps is going to get your point across any further." But I just had to, because my brain is bursting at the seams after reading The Scorch Trials.

I love Thomas' name! I know my enthusiasm is quite unnecessary, but I've never seen the name Thomas used for the protagonist of a book. And a great one, too. Now there are other references besides that darn Thomas the T
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
You know, there's a difference between creating suspense and just …being annoying. This book did more of the latter than the former. I enjoyed The Maze Runner; however, it got pretty confusing towards the end, and I was hoping that The Scorch Trials would give us some answers.

Not so. If anything, it only leaves the reader with even more questions. Practically nothing was resolved/explained from the first book, and James Dashner kept on piling on more and more plot twists––most of which were …we
Emily Rose
Holy klunk, this book is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!
Mitchel Broussard
Christina
Jan 31, 2013 Christina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. STAY AWAY AND SAVE YOURSELVES!
Sigh. I don't know how to write a review for this book without it sounding like a full-out rant. So I guess I'll just rant.

First of all, I will admit that I only have myself to blame for picking up this (audio)book. I wasn't a fan of the first one, and yet I still decided to give The Scorch Trials a try. Somehow, this one was worse than the The Maze Runner. How so? Let me count the ways...

1. Character development. James Dashner deserves an award for achieving the impossible by being the first au
Debra

I was expecting things to finally clear up at the end of this book, instead I was left with even more questions than before...

Up until 80% I really enjoyed the story though, and I'll probably read book 3 as well, because I just have to know how all of this is going to play out.

3.5 Stars.
~Tina~
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James Dashner is my freaken Hero!!!!

WOW you guys! Just O M G, WoW!
If y'all liked The Maze Runner, you'll LovE The Scorch Trials! It's unbelievable!

James Dashner as once again created a none stop, action packed adventure that will blow your ever loving Shuck-Sticks-Cranked mind.
With new characters and all your favorite crazed-lingo-Gladers, comes a story of constant struggle to survive, a once again, Trial that are even more terrifying, dangerous and in
mark monday

Arlene
Nov 29, 2011 Arlene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi and Dystopia YA Fans
Post-apocalyptic Nightmare!

Wow, The Scorch Trials was definitely a bizarre mind trip, and after everything that was revealed and unfolded, I can’t wait to see how this series ends.

This next installment to The Maze Runner picks up right where the first book left off. The Gladers have been rescued from The Maze, but their trials are far from over. They are immediately launched into a human nightmare where WICKED uses mental, physical, psychological and emotional experiments to test mind patterns
Mohammed Arabey
Sorry to break the bad news But...Guys..You have to Run Again...
No no, not the maze..but here..Welcome to the new Trial...
And Thomas, Remember..
WICKED is Good so shuckin' Wicked

"فيروس الأيبولا الدموي ينتشر في العالم وظهور حالة بنيويورك..الأحتباس الحراري وصل لمرحلة متقدمة... وجماعات تنادي بانقاذ القطب الشمالي"
هل مازلت تعتقد ان احداث تلك الرواية مستحيل تحققها في المستقبل؟؟

اذا شاهدت -واعجبك- الفيلم الأول , لا تنتظر الجزء الثاني وابدأ فورا في قراءة الرواية
تعبت من الجري مع توماس واصدقاءه في المتاهة,
Natalie Monroe
Thomas, honeybunch? We need to talk.

What exactly happened here? In the first book, you were a huge Gary Stu, yes, but you also captured my heart with your endearing awkwardness. You were a confused little boy that awakened the mama bear in me and made me want to take you in my arms and squeeze you til all the insecurity is gone. For the Scorch Trials, I still wanted to play the mom, but the kind that whacks you a new one so you'll sort your shit out.

How the hell did you go from this:

To this:

Half
Jonathan

3.5 Stars

I had mixed feelings to The Maze Runner and so it was with interest that I picked up its sequel to see how things continued. I was personally surprised and a little frustrated with this book. It seemed the minute I knew what was happening something completely changed in the story to make me unsure about anything. But I guess I could therefore associate with the character...

The whole point of this book is to continue the trials explored in the Maze Runner. Which were interesting from a t
Shannan
[This book is the second instalment of The Maze Runner Trilogy.]
James Dashner is definitely in my Top Authors list! His books always leave an impact on me for some unidentified reason. I love this book to the point where it isn't healthy!

Once again James Dashner (or should I say Thomas) has taken me on an adventure that made me feel a great many emotions.
I admit to loving this book so much that I couldn't let go of it; causing me to read it entirly in one day with no breaks(I can't say my blatte
Becky
Wow. That was a thrill ride! James Dashner really knows how to ratchet up the tension.

This book was very different from The Maze Runner, much less eerie and creepy mysterious, but what it lacks there, it more than makes up for in tension and action. We learn more about the world outside of the maze, and about the flares and the Flare, and we meet Cranks, which reminded me somewhat of the "zombies" suffering from Rage in 28 Days Later - OK, well, at least those past Gone.

We have some shifting o
Lissa Smith
Apr 04, 2012 Lissa Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls and boys grades 5 and up
Recommended to Lissa by: B4R Club
The Scorch Trials has a proper plot that actually keeps you on your toes guessing all the way through. It is hard to talk about the plot without revealing story. But I will say this about the plot if you thought things were rough on Thomas and the other gladers in Maze Runner, then hang on to your seats because things are twisted in this one.

The effort that JD took at allowing the characters some personality didn’t go unnoticed. I found book two a bit more interesting and I think everyone will.
Luann
Jul 18, 2011 Luann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luann by: Liz (Pick-a-Shelf)
I was immediately dragged back into this story! I had the "here we go again" feeling, like many of the characters in the story, but I did enjoy the journey while continuing to wonder: "What the heck is going on!?" just like while I was reading The Maze Runner. And now I look forward to reading book three, The Death Cure, which will be coming out later this year!

Reading this actually feels a lot like watching the TV show Lost:
* Changing leaders
* Mysterious but intriguing clues to never-sure-what
Kristy
This is one of those rare exception books where the 2nd is actually better than the 1st!!! I am 100% addicted and want #3 NOW!

This is my new favorite series. You ShouldRead The Maze Runner and this one!!!! You will not be sorry! DO IT!!!!

AHHHHH!!!!! Maybe after the shock wears off, I'll be able to write an actual review!

Cynn
« “-Algunas veces me pregunto... -murmuró Thomas.
-¿Te preguntas, qué?
-Si importa estar vivo. Si no sería mucho más facil estar muerto.”»

En The Scorch Trials pensamos que Thomas y sus compañeros se van a poder tomar un respiro y todas las “cositas” van a estar tranquilas pero…no. En este caso, van a desear poder volver al laberinto a que tener que enfrentarse a lo que se les propone. Pensaron que todo había terminado, pero esto recién comienza a terminar. Como prueba “final” de CRUEL, tienen q
Erin
2.5 stars. Because I enjoyed reading it but I know it wasn't that great.

Wow... this was structured very differently than The Maze Runner was. I think that's the main reason so many people prefer the first book. It had a neat and tidy format, with a contained setting (the Glade) and a straight-forward "mystery". This, on the other hand, had no cohesive setting, and the characters' intentions changed from chapter to chapter.

In some ways, it reminded me of The Hunger Games. Not in quality, but in s
Priscilla
So this is what the end of the world looks like... huh.

My first impressions:
1) I WANT TO READ THE LAST BOOK NOW.
2) Not as good as the first, BUT it's still very good! (Really, how can it live up to the first?)
3) I found the end a bit anti-climatic.
5) Predictable at times, and a lot of unpredictable craziness.
6) Too much 'sleeping' and 'passing out'. T 0T But I suppose if that adds to the plot building, suspense and character backstory...sure why not.
7) Love Minho and Newt! Thomas, you're cool to
Nik Bramblett
Jul 07, 2013 Nik Bramblett rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nik by: Tina DeMasi
Shelves: abandoned
Duchess Nicole
This second installment to James Dashner's Maze Runner series was again an exciting, brand new, mind blowing post apocalyptic novel, and for me more of all of that than the first.

I still don't know what the heck is going on...is Wicked good or bad? What the heck is their plan, and is there really anything in the world that could justify what they put these boys and girls through? I can't wrap my head around any such thing, I just can't. All I have to say is that Dashner better come up with a hel
Clau R.
4.5 and I'm more confused than ever!!!
EsmeButterfly
Las pruebas es, aunque pareciera imposible, incluso mejor que su primera parte, El corredor del laberinto. Como he dicho, estoy deseando leer el final de esta trilogía que se ha convertido en una de mis favoritas. Estoy ansiosa por descubrir todo lo que hay detrás del laberinto con sus laceradores, de estas inhumanas pruebas y saber si realmente hay una cura -la que da nombre al tercer y último libro-. Si buscáis aventuras, acción trepidante, y algo completamente diferente a lo que hasta ahora h ...more
Colleen Houck
The Scorch felt even more dangerous than the Maze. I like the new characters that were added. The most disturbing thing to me was when the balls of metal dropped from the ceiling to envelop heads. (Shudder)
Maria Snyder
Poor poor poor Thomas! It's amazing he doesn't curl up into a ball and give up - but I guess that's what makes him such a good character - a survivor. And it's what keeps me reading - how much more can this poor boy take? Guess I'll have to read the next book, The Death Cure to find out. I'm really enjoying this series, but I'm frustrated by the lack of information - which is the whole point - Dashner is giving just enough to keep me interested. Grrr! Even knowing what Dashner is doing he still ...more
Cait Grace
I like this series. I like it a lot. I like it so much that I'm just going to tackle hug this book and then collapse hyperventilating because: DANG CLIFF HANGER ENDING.
description
JUST GIVE ME THE ANSWERS, DANG IT. I NEED TO KNOW OR MY HEAD WILL EXPLODE.

I'm really very curious to how all these trials and experiments can find a cure for a disease. I suspect things aren't as they seem. (Ha. Aren't I clever?) But Teresa said, in book #1, that WICKED was good. But Teresa?! I mean, can we trust her? CAN WE TRU
Rick Fisher
Sep 03, 2014 Rick Fisher rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one yet
The sequel to "The Maze Runner", two stars but I would rate it 2.5, due to it being better than the first in this series, but not great enough to earn 3 stars.
This has been an easy book to read, but difficult to enjoy. I'm sure with the third and final book in this series, author James Dashner will answer all the questions raised by what has being going on. Hopefully, because nothing seems to be making much sense and everything seems to be heading in no particular direction. It's simple yet co
The Scorch Trials: Character Elimintation 347 276 18 minutes ago
Can Thomas trust anyone? 4 12 Oct 29, 2014 03:05PM
Harriet from Group B is cast! 5 33 Oct 24, 2014 08:52AM
Movie to come out September 18th 2015! 22 58 Oct 24, 2014 06:42AM
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • Solitary (Escape From Furnace, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials, #2)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1) The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)

“Rose took my nose, I suppose” 269 likes
“i felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn't need to run to the mirror to know they were gone” 262 likes