Start by marking “The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Before The Road by Cormac McCarthy brought apocalyptic fiction into the mainstream, there was science fiction. No longer relegated to the fringes of literature, this explosive collection of the world’s best apocalyptic writers brings the inventors of alien invasions, devastating meteors, doomsday scenarios, and all-out nuclear war back to the bookstores with a bang.

The bes
Published July 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the World

Some of the stories were really good, some were freaky, and some were written for other authors and not for a general audience. Still, that's what you get with a collection of short stories.
Cheryl
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse edited by Martin H. Greenberg has a nice selection of stories about the Apocalypse. It is a solid selection, with some powerful stories, most notably, Lucifer by Roger Zelanzy and The Underdweller by William Nolan. The full list of stories:[return][return]1. Dancing Through the Apocalypse by Robert Silverberg [return]2. The Hum by Rick Hautala [return]3. Salvador by Lucius Shepard[return]4. We Can Get Them for You Wholesale by Neil Gaiman [return]5 ...more
Ben Nash
The collection is filled with mostly good (3 star) stories. There were a few better-than-good (4 star) and one less than good (2 star) stories.

A broad range of time is represented here in relation to the stories published. Neil Gaiman's is a fun story from earlier in his career, and Martin's shows how far he's come. Swanwick's gives an interesting view of a future reaching back and reminded me of Wolfe's Seven American Nights. As much as Card rubs me the wrong way as a person, his stories (the o
Donna
Jun 08, 2014 Donna marked it as did-not-finish
I read the first three stories and part of the fourth and gave up. None of them grabbed my attention and the editing of the e-book was terrible. Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse is a much better bet for a solid collection of apocalypse stories.
Clackamas
Like any anthology, this one had some hits and some misses. Also like any anthology, that isn't as important as the logic behind which stories were included. This is a very good overview of the genre, from pre-Cold War stories to modern stuff. Some have been seen in other anthologies but some were completely new to me.

The ordering of these stories made sense. I liked that the editor separated the book into sections like "The Last Man", "Life After the End", and "Dark, Distant Futures".

This anth
J.B. Simmons
I listened to the audiobook - for research purposes. The stories ranged from average to really good. Gaiman's was great. It reminded me of the power of the short story, and it single-handedly sealed this compilation's four stars for me. (Plus, I got the whole thing for 99 cents. Nice deal.)
Jon
The only one I skipped was the one by OSC. Got half way though and didn't care for it & moved on.
Second time reading Flight to Forever. Now I know why the episode of Futurama S07E06 [The Late Philip J. Fry] seemed so familiar.
DAVID C PIRIE
A few gems among the glass beads.

I had previously read many of the offerings and rereading was akin to visiting an old forgotten friend.
Of note was Neil Gaimans piece and John Wyndhams The Wheel.
Rob Roy
The question posed by this short story collection is “What will the End of the World look like.” Each author has their own twist and view which I find fascinating. I will not spoil the various authors surprises, but some are stunning in their originality. Good science fiction puts old questions in new light.
Steven Williams
I found most of the stories in this collection imaginatvely written. Most stories were very good.
Robin Edman
This is a mixed bag, as all multiple author anthologies will tend to be. Some of the stories were four star quality; some merit a two. One of the stories was a one for me, but the beauty of an anthology is that you can just skip the bad parts. I'm not going to identify which are which for me, because that is a matter of taste, and your tastes will be different. Obviously, Mr. Greenberg liked them all. I would recommend for those who like old school sf, but not for those who follow the younger cr ...more
Dustinccquasis
End of the World. Most people would react to an anthology some stories are good, others are not. This particular anthology is the same, some stories were unique and worth the read, the others are just boring and nothing innovative or new. George RR Martins story is probably the best story along with "The Hum".

This book is on my shelf and would not be removed anytime soon

3 out of 5 stars for me
Andrea
This is a great collection of sci-fi stories of the apocalypse. They range from heartwarming, to grim, to introspective. I really enjoyed the variety of cataclysms. Many of the scenarios are ones that I never would have thought of. My only complaint is that the last short story had several typos, which were pretty annoying.
Carol Brannigan
This is a good sampling of short stories based on the apocalypse. While there were a couple of stories that fell discombobulated and difficult to read- I do think the collection as a whole deserves recognition and addition to any library that enjoys post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories.
Chris
A fairly weak collection. Only a few stories carried any emotional impact and many dealt with a personal end of the world (world hasn't collapsed but an individual's life has) instead of global Apocalypse.

Not as good as Wastelands, a collection of similar, but better stories.
Jeanne
Amazing collection of stories. Not all are spectacular, but the ones that were stayed with me. I would definitely add this book to my collection.
John Orman
Many great stories of the end of days for the earth and the universe. Many iconic SF authors are represented by great stories.
Carma Spence
You can read my review of this book here: http://www.thegenretraveler.com/sci-f...
Alex
Some stories were definitely really good and others were just rambling crap with lots of made up words.
Shelley
My favorite collection of short stories!! Very interesting and inventive stories!
Dale
Ugk! Maybe one of the stories grabbed my attention. Certainly not my style of writing!
Darcy Leerhoff
not a fan of short stories and this book did not change my mind
Alytha
A fairly weak collection, unfortunately.
Michael Mariano
Mostly very good, some average
Ken Walton
Ken Walton is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Natalie A. Sera
Natalie A. Sera marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Michelle Grant
Michelle Grant marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • Year's Best SF 16
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman