Start by marking “The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Before The Road by Cormac McCarthy brought apocalyptic fiction into the mainstream, there was science fiction. No longer relegated to the fringes of literature, this explosive collection of the world’s best apocalyptic writers brings the inventors of alien invasions, devastating meteors, doomsday scenarios, and all-out nuclear war back to the bookstores with a bang.

The bes
Published July 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the World

Jason
Aug 29, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
For an anthology this was rather good with more good stories than bad ones which makes a change on the anthologies i have read of late. Which seem to be for the editors enjoyment and no one else's. Some of them have interesting takes on the end of the world and the stories aren't to boring or repetitive.
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalypse, anthology
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse edited by Martin H. Greenberg has a nice selection of stories about the Apocalypse. It is a solid selection, with some powerful stories, most notably, Lucifer by Roger Zelanzy and The Underdweller by William Nolan. The full list of stories: 1. Dancing Through the Apocalypse by Robert Silverberg 2. The Hum by Rick Hautala 3. Salvador by Lucius Shepard[return]4. We Can Get Them for You Wholesale by Neil Gaiman 5. The Big Flash by Norman .Spinrad 6. T ...more
Brian Palmer
Jun 02, 2015 Brian Palmer rated it really liked it
An anthology needs rated on two parts: firstly, how were the individual stories? and secondly, how does the anthology do about pacing them, contextualizing them, and so forth. The stories ranged from weak to great, but concentrated in the good category; I'll include
1. The Hum by Rick Hautala.
2. Salvador by Lucius Shepard.
3. We Can Get Them For You Wholesale by Neil Gaiman.
4. The Big Flash by Norman Spinrad
5. Kindness by Lester del Rey
6. The Underdweller by William F. Nolan
7. Lucifer by Roger Z
Kandice
Feb 23, 2015 Kandice rated it it was ok
I have been reading this in a hospital waiting room, even though I started it about 4 months ago. I've rated each story so when I have time I need to go back and average them, but overall, I didn't love it. It may warrant more than two stars, but this was not a glowing example of apocalyptic fiction!
Nov 05, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Some of the stories were really good, some were freaky, and some were written for other authors and not for a general audience. Still, that's what you get with a collection of short stories.
Cati
Jun 12, 2015 Cati rated it it was ok
It's hard to give a pertinent opinion on this, what with its being a collection of stories and the vast difference in writing and story quality among them. All in all, other than Neil Gaiman's story, nothing really gripped me. Some of the stories even had nothing to do with the theme, some were downright insipid. In a nutshell, there are far better collections of apocalypse stories. All through it felt somewhat like a book of famous-writer-rejected-debut-stories or something akin to it...
Ben Nash
The collection is filled with mostly good (3 star) stories. There were a few better-than-good (4 star) and one less than good (2 star) stories.

A broad range of time is represented here in relation to the stories published. Neil Gaiman's is a fun story from earlier in his career, and Martin's shows how far he's come. Swanwick's gives an interesting view of a future reaching back and reminded me of Wolfe's Seven American Nights. As much as Card rubs me the wrong way as a person, his stories (the o
Ric Parks
Oct 28, 2015 Ric Parks rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've ready many of these writers and it was great to reacquaint myself with them: Zelazny, Poul Anderson, the superb Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, Frederic Brown, and some other greats of the 60's and 70's plus, of course, Neil Gaiman. Perhaps the stories are a bit uneven but the quality is generally high and there wasn't a story that I didn't genuinely enjoy.
Clackamas
Jan 17, 2013 Clackamas rated it really liked it
Like any anthology, this one had some hits and some misses. Also like any anthology, that isn't as important as the logic behind which stories were included. This is a very good overview of the genre, from pre-Cold War stories to modern stuff. Some have been seen in other anthologies but some were completely new to me.

The ordering of these stories made sense. I liked that the editor separated the book into sections like "The Last Man", "Life After the End", and "Dark, Distant Futures".

This anth
Barbara Randall
Feb 18, 2015 Barbara Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of creative variety

Several of the stories were real gems, creative, with a take on this subject I hadn't read before. Others were downright weird. Some had confusing endings. Some were thought provoking. Nice to be able to skip the lesser ones and still have some good reading left.
Betty
Jul 09, 2015 Betty rated it liked it
19 short stories about the end of the world. They are grouped under headings: Bang or Whimper; The Last Man; Life After the End: Dark, Distant Futures; Witness to the End of the World. Some I really enjoyed, others not so much. Normal for a group of stories by different authors.
J.B. Simmons
Nov 17, 2014 J.B. Simmons rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook - for research purposes. The stories ranged from average to really good. Gaiman's was great. It reminded me of the power of the short story, and it single-handedly sealed this compilation's four stars for me. (Plus, I got the whole thing for 99 cents. Nice deal.)
Jon
Mar 16, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
The only one I skipped was the one by OSC. Got half way though and didn't care for it & moved on.
Second time reading Flight to Forever. Now I know why the episode of Futurama S07E06 [The Late Philip J. Fry] seemed so familiar.
DAVID C PIRIE
A few gems among the glass beads.

I had previously read many of the offerings and rereading was akin to visiting an old forgotten friend.
Of note was Neil Gaimans piece and John Wyndhams The Wheel.
Rob Roy
Dec 01, 2014 Rob Roy rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The question posed by this short story collection is “What will the End of the World look like.” Each author has their own twist and view which I find fascinating. I will not spoil the various authors surprises, but some are stunning in their originality. Good science fiction puts old questions in new light.
William
May 17, 2015 William rated it liked it

3.0 out of 5 stars

Short Changed Short Stories, November 22, 2014

This review is from: The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse (Kindle Edition)

I normally enjoy good short stories but I felt short changed by most of these. Maybe I was looking for more Si Fi and these stories were focused on alternative World Endings and unable to develop any "Science" in the limited time and space. There was also a greater sense of Weird that I don't normally find in typical Si Fi stories. It felt mor
Krishna Shah
Sep 13, 2015 Krishna Shah rated it liked it
There were some interesting short stories in here. I didn't like all of them but then we can't like all stories. But I liked this read.
Steven Williams
Apr 15, 2014 Steven Williams rated it really liked it
I found most of the stories in this collection imaginatvely written. Most stories were very good.
Nick Garza
Jul 02, 2015 Nick Garza rated it it was ok
Some good stories in here. A good few terrible ones. Seemed to get better in the last 3rd.
Julie Stout
Feb 23, 2015 Julie Stout rated it it was amazing
A great mix of goofy stories. Like a bowl of Lucky Charms.
Robin Edman
Nov 23, 2011 Robin Edman rated it liked it
This is a mixed bag, as all multiple author anthologies will tend to be. Some of the stories were four star quality; some merit a two. One of the stories was a one for me, but the beauty of an anthology is that you can just skip the bad parts. I'm not going to identify which are which for me, because that is a matter of taste, and your tastes will be different. Obviously, Mr. Greenberg liked them all. I would recommend for those who like old school sf, but not for those who follow the younger cr ...more
Katie
Feb 16, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
Interesting collection of stories - some better than others.
S.L. Saboviec
Sep 10, 2015 S.L. Saboviec rated it it was ok
This collection of stories was disappointing. Only a few of them held my attention and made me really care about what happened--Neil Gaiman's, in particular, was really absorbing. However, most of them were slow and unengaging. This collection felt like a bunch of cast-off short stories that couldn't make it in their own anthologies, that the authors wanted to do something with. That goes for the rest of the headliners, too.
Dustinccquasis
Nov 08, 2013 Dustinccquasis rated it liked it
End of the World. Most people would react to an anthology some stories are good, others are not. This particular anthology is the same, some stories were unique and worth the read, the others are just boring and nothing innovative or new. George RR Martins story is probably the best story along with "The Hum".

This book is on my shelf and would not be removed anytime soon

3 out of 5 stars for me
Donna
Jun 06, 2015 Donna marked it as did-not-finish
I read the first three stories and part of the fourth and gave up. None of them grabbed my attention and the editing of the e-book was terrible. Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse is a much better bet for a solid collection of apocalypse stories.
Andrea
Nov 15, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of sci-fi stories of the apocalypse. They range from heartwarming, to grim, to introspective. I really enjoyed the variety of cataclysms. Many of the scenarios are ones that I never would have thought of. My only complaint is that the last short story had several typos, which were pretty annoying.
Carol Brannigan
Feb 01, 2011 Carol Brannigan rated it really liked it
This is a good sampling of short stories based on the apocalypse. While there were a couple of stories that fell discombobulated and difficult to read- I do think the collection as a whole deserves recognition and addition to any library that enjoys post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories.
Chris
Apr 26, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
A fairly weak collection. Only a few stories carried any emotional impact and many dealt with a personal end of the world (world hasn't collapsed but an individual's life has) instead of global Apocalypse.

Not as good as Wastelands, a collection of similar, but better stories.
Steve Silver
Enjoyed the different categories of End Of The World stories.
Jeanne
May 20, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Amazing collection of stories. Not all are spectacular, but the ones that were stayed with me. I would definitely add this book to my collection.
  • Alien Contact
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
  • After the End: Recent Apocalypses
  • Man Against the Future: 17 Topflight Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Yarns.
  • Year's Best SF 16
  • Superheroes
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...