Start by marking “Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)” as Want to Read:
Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)

Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,286 ratings  ·  102 reviews
I used to think all I wanted was to have a normal life. You know, where I could be one of the crowd and blend in, so no one would know just how different I am. But now I'm stuck in the middle of Hungary with my mom, working for a traveling fair with my psychics, magicians, and other really weird people, and somehow, blending in with this crowd doesn't look so good.

Fortunat

Mass Market Paperback, 193 pages
Published January 4th 2005 by Smooch

To ask other readers questions about Got Fangs?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Got Fangs?

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
56th out of 335 books — 4,324 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
YA Paranormal Romance
249th out of 482 books — 1,626 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor
I freakin love this book. it is the best book i have ever read. it's hilarious. it had me rolling around on the floor laughing. the author is hilarious and she combines the complexity of a teenage girls life with the mythical whatevers of vampires. this book rocks!
Karissa
I got this book because I had previously read the Aisling Grey book by Katie MacAlister and was curious about her young adult books. Katie Maxwell is the name Katie MacAlister uses for her young adult books. This book is the first book in the Goth series. There is one other book after this one called "Circus of the Darned". I actually really liked this book it was a cute, fun and fluffy little read.

Francesca is just your average sixteen year old, except for a couple small facts. First she can re
Amy (Aye.Me?)
Quote:
"You know that creepy kid who saw dead people in Sixth Sense? He's Norman P. Normal compared to me."

Review:
At under 200 pages this book is an extremely quick read, I finished it in one sitting. For being so short, I think that the characters are quite well developed. The take on vampires, magicians and psychics is interesting and I like the whole concept of "GothFaire". Katie Maxwell's writing is naturally funny and the mystery in the story is well concealed, leaving the ending a surprise
Lola
This was my first vampire book. I think I was eleven when I read it. It really hooked me! The plot was interesing, the characters were all different and enjoyable. The main character was funny and I was sooooo charmed by Bénédict, the sexy vampire! I know, but I was young at that time. I did read it again some years after and I still liked it, so yeah I'm giving this five stars out of five.
Ashlee Telschow
Honestly the book was kinda cheesy in my opinion. My bestie read it in 2005 and loved it and recently told me to give it a try because it was a quick read. I did read it quickly and it wasn't horrible but I didn't really care for it. The main character made a lot of jokes that weren't funny and the author often would put "(in case you were wondering)" in the book every few pages and I would just think to myself, actually...I couldn't care less.

One line said something about a guy pulling a rabbit
Anna
Ich habe laaange gebraucht um endlich mit der Reihe weiter zu machen und leider hat sich mein Eindruck als ich das Buch das erste mal in die Hand nahm bestätigt, es ist nicht sehr lesenswert. Fran ist einfach nur nervig als Teeanager (im Erwachsenenalter hat sich das leider auch nicht sonderlich gebessert wie ich in dem Folgeband feststellen musste...)
Ben und Imogen sind die einzigen die ich noch Ansatzweise unterhaltsam und symphatisch fand als Charaktere. Die Story dümpelt so vor sich hin und
Lady Allison
Nov 05, 2010 Lady Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lady Allison by: Cara
Very quick read, very cute. Katie MacAlister is one of my favorite authors & in preparation for her new Dark Ones novel, I figured I'd read the back story on Benedickt and Francesca, or Ben & Fran.

Fran is a 16 year old psychometric, she can feel or see images whenever she touches objects or people. She is in Hungary at a Goth Faire with her mother and Benedickt Czerny enters her life. He is a vampire, or a Moravian Dark One as they preferred to be called and claims that Fran is his Belov
Cindy
Got Fangs?

Our heroine is Fran, a 16-year-old girl who thinks she's a freak. Yes, I know most 16-year-olds think they're freaks but Fran is definitely not your average girl. She's 6 feet tall and, in her words, built like a linebacker, her parents are divorced, her mother is a witch (for real, not the kind most teenagers think of), and then there's the fact that she has to wear gloves all the time since if she touches you with her bare hand she gets a quick visit to your head.

Since her father has
Sandie
I love this book, I am a fan of Katie McAllister's books and thought I would give the young adults books a try. I first read this book a few years ago and passed it onto my oldest son who also loved it.

The main character is Fran and she is not a vampire, but her mother is a witch and they are traveling with a Gothic Fair through Hungary, which I thought was so cool. You don't often find stories set in Hungary and being part Hungarian I was kind of happy to see that. So in the fair there are all
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Francesca (Fran) is currently touring Germany with a Goth Faire, courtesy of her mother, who is a witch. After her father had what she kindly refers to as a midlife crisis, Fran was sent to stay with her mom--who is finally living her dream, living with people who are just like herself, seeing the world, and having fun. Unfortunately, the Faire has caused Fran to feel like even more of a freak than she did back home--not only is she six feet tall with dark hair
Penny
Aug 20, 2012 Penny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vampire lovers, paranormal lovers
Shelves: books-i-own
I love this book!!! It's one of my favorites!
The concept of a girl who feels out of place and weird and meets a vampire, with whom they are destined to be together(his beloved), is what intrigued me so much to not be able to put this book down whenever i read it. Paranormal possibilities that make us yearn for more or even for this to happen in reality....

I recommend this book to readers that love paranormal romantic comedies.

(view spoiler)
Katrina Knittle
This was a very cute short read. The book took me less then 2 hours to read. The book was quite funny and adorable with just enough fluff that it doesn't get annoying. The concept of the book is very relatable. Most people at some point feels weird and out of place. A fun read and I can see myself continuing this series.
Artemisa
I wanted to read the next book in the Dark Ones series, but it was a Ben and Fran book, so I had to start at the beginning.
This book is marked as Ben and Fran 1, but could easily be Dark Ones 1.10.
It's a nice teen love story, with just a bit of a sexy edge.

As books go this is a pretty standard Dark Ones book. Boy meets girl, girl falls madly in love with boy, but is too young to understand it.
Sandy
This was actually really good. I liked it lots. Better than the next book. It was on the more lighthearted side as well, but the romance was much better than in Silver Kiss. The catalog description says it's the first book in a series, which I did not know, and now I might have to try and find the others. It's the story of a girl who's spending the summer with her mother, who happens to be part of a traveling carnival. The trick is, they all are like, what they really are. The carnival is full o ...more
Shelley
Read this and "circus of the darned" YEARS ago when they first came out and I really enjoyed the story and romance between the characters. Recommended to people who like short YA stories.
(Wish it was in Kindle format.)
Mary
This book came out before the "Twilight" series, just saying in case you notice any similarities. I read this book as a teen and what I liked about this book was that Fran lives at the fair (away from depressing school), she has a horse, she travels from place to place in Europe, and there's a really cute guy in the picture. What I didn't like about this book was that Fran was kinda of a weirdo to everyone and a bit insensitive. Also that she thought that 13 was too young to go to the fair. I re ...more
Helen Bishop
Fran just wants to be a normal teenager. However, when her mom, who happens to be a witch, decides to sell their home and join a travelling carnival, Fran's shot at being normal seems to disappear. She is gifted with her own unique talent that she tries to keep hidden. She can hear what people are thinking or feeling when she touches them. She wears gloves most of the time. Then along comes Ben, a vampire who declares she is his beloved (the only one who can save his soul). Well this teenager th ...more
Sammi
I really enjoy reading this book. Katie Maxwell's well written story is funny and entertaining. Even though it's such a short book, there is a lot explained in less than 300 pages.
Fran, daughter of a witch(Mom), I think she is very unique. With the special ability she was blessed, Fran canread thoughts and feelings in other people just by touching them; isn't that cool?
Through out the book, Fran runs into this really cute boy, the brother of Imogen, Benedickt Czerny. Ben is a vampire, also known
Maja
I was extremely pleasantly surprised by this book. I had no expectations at all, really. Well, perhaps I was expecting it to fall flat - a little. But I was very, very surprised when I actually found myself liking the book and the characters. It was nicely written, though I really don't like Fran's way of swearing, and it had a good flow. It's a YA version of Katie MacAlister's 'Dark Ones' series, and it wrks really well that way. Well, I'm off to read the next one in this series!
SassySami
I'm not big on YA, but I had read In the Company of Vampires, which also happens to be the third in this series, and I just had to know how Ben and Kate started. I was incredibly pleased, as I always am with Katie's books, and found this story to be wonderfully interesting and not at all childish, which is my issue with a lot of YA books.
Elizabeth Caran
I don't know if it's because I read the third book first or if I am just not as into the Dark Ones World from the eyes of a teen. I enjoyed the book and will have to ILL the second title as we don't own it and can't buy it with budget constraints as they are. But I feel like I really only got exposition. Again, maybe this is because I got to know the characters more in the third book before I read this one.
Bluegravity
I found it really interesting and loved the fact that different languages were used in it! The only thing that would have made it better would have been some translations at the end, lol. Also there was slight discontinuity and a few spelling errors, but the way it was written and the storyline blasted all the small annoyances- an awesome read- couldn't put it down until I finished! Gotta love the HOTTIES XD
Diane ~Firefly~
Fran is your typical teen who just wants to fit in, so when she is shipped off to the Goth Faire in Hungary with her mother, she is less than thrilled.

What I enjoyed:
* Watching Fran grow into herself.
* The Goth Faire and the people who work there.
* Tesla. Although there are mysteries I want solved.

What could have been better:
* Fran can get a bit whiny.
* Benedick - what's with the secrets?
Megan
I like Katie Maxwell writing under Katie MacAlister better (yes,I know, Maxwell is her pen name for her young adult fiction, but still, there are certain expectations). It was just like her adult Dark Ones series but toned down in every way; less funny, less intense and just less. It lacked the spunk and humor of her adult books, which is a shame because I generally love reading young adult fiction.
Jan
I read this a while ago but it was very enjoyable. Fran is traveling with her mom in Europe as part of a Psychic Fair. Well, her mother is part of the fair. Really Fran could be too, but she is keeping her "gift" under raps.

There is a nice love story with a cute but mysterious vampire. Throw in a bit of a mystery, and you have a great combo for a light YA read.
Rita
The only reason I read this book was to get background on Fran and Ben so I could read Katie MacAlister's "In the Company of Vampires". Surprisingly - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I caught myself laughing out loud a couple of times. This book actually turned out to be at a time when Fran was 16, so I'm glad I read this first before moving on. :)
Michelle Tempted By Books
Got Fangs? was fun. Francesca ticked me off some with her ignorance of Benedikt but I think that is just based off my knowledge from previous books. That said Benedikt ticked me off plenty as well, MEN! Seriously though I did enjoy it, recommend to YA readers prior to Reading the Dark One's books, or at least before you read In the Company of Vampires.
Mattie
Marie
I read this book a long time ago. Before Twilight. The book was poorly written. I didn't like the characters. Fran lives in a fantasy world where you gets home-schooled and travels everywhere in Europe. One day she finds that she has a "beloved". Didn't like that she thought that 13 was too young to go to the fair. Wth is that supposed to mean?
  • Confessions of a Vampire's Girlfriend (Ben and Fran, #1-2)
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
  • Braced to Bite (Half-Blood Vampires, #1)
  • Fangs for the Memories (Young Brothers, #1)
Katie Maxwell is a pseudonym of Katie MacAlister.

Katie MacAlister is a Seattle-area author of fiction and non-fiction. Her most popular titles are historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance. She also writes Young Adult books under the pseudonym Katie Maxwell and Mysteries under the pseudonym Kate Marsh.

About Katie

as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up in
More about Katie Maxwell...

Ben and Fran (3 books)
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • In the Company of Vampires (Dark Ones, #8)
Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2) The Year My Life Went Down The Loo (Emily, #1) They Wear What Under Their Kilts? (Emily, #2) What's French For "Ew"? (Emily, #3) Eyeliner of the Gods