Start by marking “Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)

Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,580 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Tim LaHaye created the Left Behind Series, which has become one of the most popular fiction series of all time. Those novels, with more that 50 million copies sold, presented a unique combination of suspense and substance drawn from his lifelong study of Biblical prophecy.

Now Tim LaHaye has created a new series that begins with Babylon Rising. The novels in this new series
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published October 1st 2003)

Laurie
Feb 23, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
After reading the Left Behind series, I was curious about some of the other books written by the same authors so I picked up Babylon Rising and decided to give it a try. It was an excellent book! Babylon Rising introduces the reader to a biblical archaeologist named Michael Murphy and sends us along on his adventures to find artifacts that will authenticate the stories of the Bible. In this first book in the series, Murphy is led by a mysterious man named Methuselah on a dangerous treasure hunt ...more
Jen
Jun 05, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: not-owned
Babylon Rising is an adventure featuring Michael Murphy, an Indiana Jones-like character who is an archaeologist, Bible scholar, and professor all rolled up into one manly man. Unlike Indiana Jones, Murphy's main passion in life is to seek out real artifacts to support the writings in the Bible. The story begins with Murphy engaged in an deadly challenge to obtain an archaeological artifact which gives him some valuable clues about a bronze serpent reputed to be from the era of Daniel.

While ther
Paul Lunger
Sep 28, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start to the latest series by Left Behind author Tim LaHaye, "Babylon Rising", is an fast moving tale of history, intrigue & religion molded into one. The main focus of the story is Professor Michael Murphy who searches for an artifact that could prove the existence of the prophet Daniel. The story also revolves around a group called the Seven whose ringleader Talon tortures Shane Barrington & uses him to aid in terrorist activities for their group against the Catholic Church. The st ...more
Damon Gerber
Apr 01, 2013 Damon Gerber rated it it was amazing
February 8, 2013
Currently I am on page 129 of Babylon Rising. Something that has stuck out so far in this book is the main character Michael Murphy. I admire him the most because he sticks to his faith no matter the circumstances. He has been faced with many tough challenges including going against a lion, ridicule for his faith at the college he teaches at, and potential loss of job, and yet he still keeps a positive attitude and his face looking up. Even though this book is fiction, his motiva
Dan
Feb 22, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
If you don't believe in God, this book might just change your mind. This book is about Michael Murphy, a professor/archeologist who dedicates his life to authenticate the bible by finding biblical artifacts. In this book Murphy focuses on finding the brazen serpent that was given to Moses when he was in the desert and thought to have been destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon. It is a fast paced book without any dull moments. This book is filled with action, history, love and death, a ...more
Jamie
Jul 14, 2010 Jamie rated it it was ok
Hooray! The Christian Right has found a charismatic professor/hero who saves the world from the evil international group conspiring to unite the world under one global order... under Satan! Part Indiana Jones, part Robert Langdon, and 100% evangelical Christian, Michael Murphy fights intolerant college administrators, the manipulative mass media, and a very, very evil man with a fondness for falcons while trying to prove the truth and prophecy written in the Bible.

This is a good alternative read
Angela
Mar 25, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
This is a great book for someone who likes archaeology (like me)! Besides the suspense, I kept reading to find out if they would be able to get the wanted artifact. The entire Babylon Rising Series is good!
Meadow Frisbie
Oct 14, 2010 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
I though it was cool that an author could think of two different alternatives to the end times. I would write just one and stick with it....he's must have a good imagination.

I personally loved the book. The pacing was great, and the first chapter grabbed you by the hand and took you in!

The pyramid of the wind was totally cool. And Methusalah (sp?) sounded kinda creepy...I wonder how he got all of his artifacts?

The golden serpant was a need idea, but the idea that the statue of the King of Babal
Jaime
Sep 17, 2010 Jaime rated it liked it
I love the idea of this series of books. Relearning the bible stories a different way is cool.
But there is something that makes me dislike the author. I have read a few books from this series and what bugs me so much is the "voice" he uses with the character of the main character's assistant. It's almost as thigh he makes her act dumb because she is a woman. He describes her as really smart but the things that he has her say are insulting to the intelligence he presents her with.
JC
Mar 08, 2014 JC rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Evangelical Christian
Every chance he gets, the author makes it very convenient to attack his religious brethren, Evangelical Christians, via a conveniently prejudice university dean, media moguls, and all backed by an evil & mysterious corporate empire. Even by the climax there is really no point to the level of prejudice that the author takes to a national scale. All the focus is on the anti-Indiana Jones protagonist, mainly sitting with his students talking about religion and faith and other things that have n ...more
crashqueen73
Feb 06, 2016 crashqueen73 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book nearly as much as I thought I would. I found it hard to get into and I kept putting it down and not wanting to pick it up again.

My main reasons for disliking it include not liking the main character, Murphy. He was ridiculously perfect. Like, he could do ANYTHING!!!!! Seriously, if you wanted something done ask him. He'll have it done, better than anyone and in half the allotted time. That is waaaaay to perfect for me. Makes everyone else look bad and he knows it kind
Katrina Bergherm
Jan 26, 2009 Katrina Bergherm rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
Eh. It has potential but I really didn't like how everything seemed to come so easy to the main character. He wanted to find something, and he did. There was action, adventure and love lost...all features of a great book...but I think there should have been more struggle.
Jeanie
Feb 04, 2010 Jeanie rated it did not like it
Didn't get through the first third. I enjoy religion as much as the next Christian but there was a little too much testimony in this author's style. I enjoyed the Dan Brown books, though, so I know that it can be done. Shallow am I, I know...
Susan
Jul 18, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, library
This was an exhilarating book. Looking forward to the entire series. Murphy is an interesting character. The ending was a cliffhanger. The narrator was excellent as well.
Purpleholic
Jun 03, 2011 Purpleholic rated it it was amazing
It only took me 2 days to read this one. I just couldn't put it down, I was hooked. The story line was great and I thought it proceeded at a nice quick pace.
Jan Chancey
Jul 12, 2015 Jan Chancey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very suspenseful!!!

Great story. Loved it will download book number 2 today. Tim LaHaye is one of my all time favorite authors!!!!
Gerald
Apr 09, 2015 Gerald rated it it was amazing
My oh my! What a ride I had with this book! I have had Babylon Rising on my shelf for months now and I have been a bit reluctant reading 'fictional' Tim Lahaye. He is amazing as a prophecy and end-times christian writer but I wasn't sure about fiction. I went out on a limb to read this book not knowing what I will find. It was a fun and thrilling page-turner.

Tim picked up on the brazen serpent that God asked Moses to put up in the wilderness so that people bitten by live snakes could be healed.
Jerry
Mar 02, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
Even if you absolutely hate books, you most likely have heard of the Left Behind series. For many people, that bestselling apocalyptic saga is all they have experienced and/or know of when it comes to the world of Christian fiction. That's actually a shame, in my opinion; although the story contained in those books is good, Jerry Jenkins' shoddy writing style made it hard for me--a longtime reader of Christian literature--to stomach even three books' worth, which amounts to less than twenty-five ...more
Stan
Jun 24, 2011 Stan rated it it was ok
Nathan
Oct 18, 2011 Nathan rated it liked it
Babylon Rising is the first book in the series. Almost instantly, the reader starts relating Michael Murphy to their life. Murphy, a Biblical archaeoligist and main character of the story, is a young, active professor at Preston University in North Carolina. He, along with many other guys, face challenges with pride and self-confidence. I would recomend this book to anyone who enjoyed reading about action and adventure.
I liked a lot of things about this book, such as the non-stop action. The rea
Jodelieh Blue
Tim LaHaye
Binnen de Christelijke wereld is de serie 'De Laatste Bazuin' van Tim LaHaye en Jerry B. Jenkins een begrip en het is zelfs een hype geweest. Er zijn zo'n 80 miljoen boeken van deze serie verkocht en zijn bestsellers geworden.
LaHaye, een dominee uit San Diego, Californië schreef naast deze invloedrijke serie nog veel meer boeken. Naast de fictieve boeken, waar hij om bekend staat, ook meer dan 60 niet fictieve boeken over heel veel verschillende onderwerpen, maar, zo zegt hij zelf, sch
Chelsea
Feb 22, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
I apologize in advance for the length. You have been warned (or challenged, if you prefer).

Babylon Rising is Tim Lahaye's fictional account of a Biblical archaeologist who gets caught up in his own series of unfortunate events in search of a mysterious Biblical artifact that can prove the credibility of the Bible. Along the way, however, he not only discovers that this artifact holds a secret that is darker and more ancient that he realizes, but also that there are those following his every step
Stan Crowe
Oct 14, 2013 Stan Crowe rated it it was ok
** spoiler alert ** Babylon Rising was an interesting concept, to say the least. It had a very definite "Dan Brown" feeling, though (amusingly "Dan Brown" could be a genre by now, as much as he is an author).

This first installment wasn't terribly compelling, and much of it seemed either too convenient, in favour of the main characters, or contrived (e.g. Dr. Murphy's wife making a really, really dumb decision that gave the author an out to remove her from future episodes). Problems were often so
Nola Redd
Mar 26, 2008 Nola Redd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone interested in (fictional) biblical archelogy,
After a wonderful experience reading Tim LaHaye’s Left Behind series, I had high expectations for the Babylon Rising batch of books. However, while the story was interesting, I found it to be not quite up to par with LaHaye’s previous success. It’s not so much that it was bad as that it wasn’t as good.

Michael Murphy is a biblical archeologist in search of artifacts that prove the truth of the Bible. He is also a university professor who loves to teach, and, of course, a devout evangelical Chri
Jacob C.
Jan 13, 2010 Jacob C. rated it it was ok
Cookie
Aug 01, 2014 Cookie rated it really liked it
Biblical prophesy-based book. I've read the Left Behind series (first 12, and the first one before they were left behind), and have consistently enjoyed all of Lahaye's fiction so far. Babylon Rising was definitely NOT a disappointment - EXCEPT, I wish it had kept going (I was enjoying the book!). I gave it four stars ONLY because I wish it had kept going. It seemed like he could have gone on with the book a bit after they found the…uh, don't want to spoil it.
Inge Frederick
Slow start, last third was great!

I am a big fan of the Left Behind Series, so I read this because it was written by one of the authors of that series. It wasn't until the last third of the book that I decided to read the next in the series.
LadyCalico
Oct 24, 2009 LadyCalico rated it liked it
I cannot say I am truly enjoying this series. Some parts are good reading, but there is just too much that's hokey to keep me from really getting into the characters or plot. Entertaining enough to finish the four books I checked out of the library, but I am looking forward to getting them over with and moving onto something else. The beginning was OK and so was the ending, but the middle part about the UN and church bombing was too boring and silly, and dragged down the story. If they wanted to ...more
Judy Benvin
Jun 27, 2015 Judy Benvin rated it liked it
In one word - boring. One dimential characters. Choppy story line. I've read the "Left Behind" series 3 times - loved it. Perhaps Mr. LaHaye just needs a better writing partner.
Etzal Corona
Nov 01, 2010 Etzal Corona rated it really liked it
Going through great advirsity and trechery this book is about following and doing anything for what you beliecve in no matter what the costs or consequences. This book is about a biblical archaeologist that goes through anything and everything to fortify and prove the authenticity of the stories of the Holy Bible.
While trying to prove that his religion is real he loses everything he loves and even himself at some point. While carrying on his destiny.
Overall, this is a great book to read. I recc
Goodreads Librari...: Book Series. Dates Confusing! 3 14 Aug 01, 2015 12:07AM
  • Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)
  • Necessary Evils (Left Behind Political #3)
  • Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3)
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye is an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim LaHaye...

Babylon Rising (4 books)
  • The Secret on Ararat (Babylon Rising, #2)
  • The Europa Conspiracy (Babylon Rising, #3)
  • The Edge of Darkness (Babylon Rising, #4)