Start by marking “The Gospel of the Redman” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Redman

The Gospel of the Redman

This commemorative edition contains for the first time Seton's drawigns of American Indian motifs, a selection of photographs illustrating his life, information about his role as founder of the Boys Scouts of America.
Published April 1st 2005 by World Wisdom Books (first published November 30th 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of the Redman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of the Redman

Roger Burk
Jan 02, 2016 Roger Burk rated it liked it
Shelves: other
"The civilization of the White man is a failure," says Seton. Maybe in 1936 that seemed true, what with the ongoing Depression and the rise of Fascism. Seton's prescription is to abandon our culture and emulate the Red man, who is honest, clean, brave, reverent, kind, loyal, generous, spiritual, just, respectful, chaste, cheerful (if superstitious--the one acknowledged fault). It's worth noting that Seton writes this at a time when we're told Indians were commonly looked down on, and also that h ...more
Jim
Dec 27, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Good book, there is a lot more to the Indians than the old movies. I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee in the 70's and realized there was a lot i did not learn in the traditional history books. There may be a bit of over tone in here though. I have read in a number of other readings how the Indian's were actually pretty violent to even the other tribes. It was part of their leadership and manhood to kill another tribes warriors. The fallen nature of man is in all of us, even the noble peoples.
Daniel
Jun 02, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Like all spiritual reading I've done, it has changed my life and I will refer to it often I am sure.
Brian Butler
Dec 12, 2015 Brian Butler rated it it was ok
Pros:
1) Attempts to offer a 'best of the best' kind of window into Native American teachings and lifestyle.
2) Presents an image of well developed purity in character that I found admirable and humbling.
3) Creates awareness of the awful tragedy and injustice of colonial encroachments. Deepens awareness of the importance of valuing other people groups, and of the peculiar worth of native Americans in particular.
Cons:
1) Reads more like a reference collection than a book. I liked that it is easi
G L Meisner
Jul 11, 2014 G L Meisner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religous, scouting, myths
A stilted view of Eastern Native American religons. However I enjoyed the book and read it multiple times. Having read it while a teenager it was my first major introduction to native religions.

It also provides a look into how whites were attempting to understand native religions at the period in which Seton wrote. Since attempts to understand were rare in that period it is a very unique idea even if it was only partly successful.
Clint Flatt
A very European version of the Native American way of life and how the Spirit is tied to everything. Good for boys to get an interest and feel for the Native American culture but as you learn more of the Native American culture many thing were quite diffeerent.
Michael Jenkins
Jun 25, 2014 Michael Jenkins rated it really liked it
A powerful look at the cultures of Native America, as seen by outsiders. While the language may be dated--"redman" is an offputting term--the tone is reverent. A stark tribute to a world presented as simply too beautiful to last.
Hannah Pahl
Aug 16, 2013 Hannah Pahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am incredibly grateful for this book, as it pushed me to reflect on who I was as a mother. It made me reflect on our American ancestors and how connected we all can be if willing.
J. Chris
Aug 11, 2012 J. Chris rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's hard to find, but a simple summary of Native Spirituality and a taste of what was lost when the tribes were conquered.
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Alan Hall
Alan Hall rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Brian Hoffstein
Brian Hoffstein rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Bretton
Bretton rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2008
Ash
Ash rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Bridget
Bridget rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Clivemichael
Dated. Influential to my understanding. An important slice of time
Hunenka
Hunenka rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Noah Letner
Noah Letner rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2011
Kent Kirker
Kent Kirker rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Linn Heidi
Linn Heidi rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Christiana
Christiana rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2008
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Sha
Sha rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2011
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Neal
Neal rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2012
Samuel
Samuel rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...