The Gospel of the Redman

The Gospel of the Redman

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This commemorative edition contains for the first time Seton's drawigns of American Indian motifs, a selection of photographs illustrating his life, inforamtion abouthis role as founder of the Boys Scouts of America.
Published April 1st 2005 by World Wisdom Books (first published November 30th 1965)

Jim
Good book, there is a lot more to the Indians than the old movies. I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee in the 70's and realized there was a lot i did not learn in the traditional history books. There may be a bit of over tone in here though. I have read in a number of other readings how the Indian's were actually pretty violent to even the other tribes. It was part of their leadership and manhood to kill another tribes warriors. The fallen nature of man is in all of us, even the noble peoples.
Megumi
A stilted view of Eastern Native American religons. However I enjoyed the book and read it multiple times. Having read it while a teenager it was my first major introduction to native religions.

It also provides a look into how whites were attempting to understand native religions at the period in which Seton wrote. Since attempts to understand were rare in that period it is a very unique idea even if it was only partly successful.
Michael Jenkins
A powerful look at the cultures of Native America, as seen by outsiders. While the language may be dated--"redman" is an offputting term--the tone is reverent. A stark tribute to a world presented as simply too beautiful to last.
Joshua
life altering
Clint Flatt
A very European version of the Native American way of life and how the Spirit is tied to everything. Good for boys to get an interest and feel for the Native American culture but as you learn more of the Native American culture many thing were quite diffeerent.
Hannah Pahl
I am incredibly grateful for this book, as it pushed me to reflect on who I was as a mother. It made me reflect on our American ancestors and how connected we all can be if willing.
J. Chris
I love this book. It's hard to find, but a simple summary of Native Spirituality and a taste of what was lost when the tribes were conquered.
Subhana
Subhana marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
KIMBERLY FRANZ
KIMBERLY FRANZ marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Stephen Cook
Stephen Cook marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Beefballsoup
Beefballsoup marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Paul Lee
Paul Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Annetta Rollings
Annetta Rollings marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...
Wild Animals I Have Known Two Little Savages The Biography of a Grizzly Rolf in the Woods: The Adventures of a Boy Scout with Indian Quonab & Little Dog Skookum Animal Heroes: Being The Histories Of A Cat, A Dog, A Pigeon, A Lynx, Two Wolves & A Reindeer And In Elucidation Of The Same, Over 200 Drawings