Start by marking “Teaching Company: Art Of Critical Decision Making Dvd (Course Number 5932, Great Courses)” as Want to Read:

Teaching Company: Art Of Critical Decision Making Dvd (The Great Courses #5932)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Learn to understand the underlying psychological, social, and emotional components that influence decision making in order to approach the critical decisions in your life with a more educated eye. The course examines decision making on three levels: the individual level, the group level, and the organizational level. 24 lectures.
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Company

Johnny
I started this audio book when taking a long journey with a friend. I was amazed at the insights which Michael Roberto was able to bring using case studies. I had always been dubious of case studies because they always seemed like they were shaped to create a certain outcome. As a result, I didn’t feel like they had enough variables to be interesting as “lab experiments” or “test questions.” I really appreciated the fact that Roberto includes a quotation from former Secretary of Defense and Pres ...more
John Doyle
Absolutely outstanding review of decision making in organizations. Thoroughly researched and comprehensive look at the biases, processes, cultural settings, and organizational factors that lead to good and bad decision making. Fascinating reframes of real world examples that most readers will have encountered previously such as the Cuban missile crisis, the Columbia and Challenger shuttle disasters, and investigative decisions at the FBI and CIA prior to 9/11. Well worth the time for anyone inte ...more
Armand
Actually a 2 disk 12 hours audio disk with a pdf manual on the lectures containing book resources, references, questions and case analysis. What I find fascinating about this course is that it opened my eyes to my own biases about my decision making. Professior Robredo made a very deep analysis on the decision making process not only as an intellectual excercise but a highly complex, emotional as well as political process. The author didn't just rely on his own reseach but also by other noted sc ...more
Vincent Russo
Nice overview of how individuals and groups perform acts of decision making in various high pressure scenarios. Case studies involving Chernobyl, the NASA Challenger explosion, and climbing Mount Everest are listed among the ones that are analyzed in detail. The lecturer also has quite a bit of experience in being a part of these case studies, and shares many useful anecdotes that would have most likely not been present otherwise. The focus of the entire series of lectures is certainly from the ...more
Mike Rogero
Keeps up the quality standard of most TTC offerings of being both a fascinating course, well taught and well executed.

Delves deep into personal, team and organisational decision making and the various pitfalls both will face. Much of the information on personal decisions looks to the research into cognitive biases which was better covered in books like Predictably Irrational or Thinking Fast and Slow. The team and organisational sections however were well handless.
Scott Ableman
Captivating, entertaining, thorough, and highly recommended for any manager. The guidebook that comes with the course will serve as a handy reference for the rest of your career, and for that matter for the rest of your life.
Guy
I am torn by this series since I find Roberto's cadence and speech mannerisms very distracting and I found in some places that he would list conclusions about his case studies that were not properly supported with specific evidence. That said, if I were leading a management team, I think I would make going through this series a mandatory or at least strongly encouraged activity for that team. There are good points in here for any leader.
Bert Heymans
I can't think of any other material that was this fun, practical and insightful. Super recommended!
Eric
Aug 17, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ttc
Great course, though the last few lectures felt like a filler/fluff just in Professor Michael Roberto’s effort to reach 24 lectures as designated by the Teaching Company. I feel that the toolkits or strategies offered were a bit too many, making it difficult to know which one to use in which situation. I still feel not very confident about decision-making, but rather I have a greater feeling that decision-making is such a difficult thing, like how it seems that the more I learn about decision-ma ...more
Joe Beer
Nothing new, but a good reminder of the pitfalls in a decision making process. Could've been half the length and packed the same punch though.
Tina
One of the best non-fiction reads of my life. I listened to this lecture series on audiobook, but am tempted to buy the print version, because I want to highlight it, take notes, and re-read it. I had to keep stopping my car to take notes and jot down quotes! In his analysis of how decisions are made, the lecturer uses real-world examples ripped from headline news to illustrate his points. Wow! You will recognize his examples and be able to apply the principles to your own experiences.
Kim
With a business orientation, this series of lectures (from "The Great Courses") had some great chunks of useful information: cognitive biases involved in individual decision making; challenges to group decision making; and the role of leadership in decision making for organizations.
David
This is a Teaching Company lecture series with manual, the manual containing the core of the lecture material. The instructor embraces a number of basic principles of behavioral economics to identify decision making behaviors and traps at the individual level, and then goes on to identify behavior patterns at the group and organizational level. Good quality information here, but some of his case studies are dated, 50-year-old antidotes.
Dasha
My reasons for liking this book is that he uses evidence to back up what he is saying, he sounds cute over audio and lastly because the information was useful for my everyday living. Has anyone else noticed that he has a quirky mannerism of saying "SO..." really loudly! every so often it happened and made me both giggle and annoyed. good times living.
Roy
A very well done review of the range of current theories about decision making, taught as a series of case studies. So useful I have stolen part of the content for presentation at work. Holds up well.
Ivan
From reactive to proactive decision taking. No more blaming, and firefighting - this book switches our perspective to conscious observation, analysis and precise actions.

Too hard to fit the effect in comments. Must read.
Tom
This is a DVD course by The Teaching Company (www.teach12.com). Very good course, with strong set of real life examples. I will certainly be following up with some of the recommended readings.
Usman W. Chohan
* One of the best analyses of Intuition
* Great example of the Bay of Pigs Invasion in terms of Groupthink
* Calculating Risk chapter good
* Uses Gladwell's Fireman parable to explain Intuition
Valentin
Valentin marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Daniel Hauff-Lazar
Daniel Hauff-Lazar marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Ludis
Ludis marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Brian
Brian added it
Jan 03, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
DATC Book Club: Decision Making 1 3 Oct 22, 2014 03:21PM

The Great Courses (1 - 10 of 285 books)
  • My Favorite Universe (Great Courses, #158)
  • Understanding Literature and Life: Drama, Poetry and Narrative (Great Courses, #210)
  • King Arthur and Chivalry (Great Courses, #245)
  • From Plato to Post-modernism: Understanding the Essence of Literature and the Role of the Author (Great Courses, #295)
  • The Odyssey of Homer (Great Courses #302)
  • Ancient Greek Civilization (Great Courses, #323)
  • Neolithic Europe (The Great Courses, Course No. 329) (Audio Cassette)
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • The Foundations of Western Civilization (Great Courses, #370)
Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen Why Great Leaders Don't Take Yes for an Answer: Managing for Conflict and Consensus The Art of Critical Decision Making (The Great Courses) From Problem-Solving to Problem-Finding: Great Leaders Know How to Detect Smoke, Not Just Raging Fires Profiting from the Clash of Ideas: Constructive Conflict Leads to Better Decisions and Results