The Girl Who Heard Dragons

The Girl Who Heard Dragons (Pern (Publication Order) #13.5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  7,404 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Anne McCaffrey's dragons are the stuff of which SF/fantasy legends are made. All of her dragon books for many years have been national bestsellers. She is one of the most popular writers ever in fantasy and science fiction.

The Girl Who Heard Dragons is a feast for McCaffrey fans and for all readers - a big, satisfying compilation of her fiction never before collected in bo...more
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Edition, 416 pages
Published August 15th 1995 by Tor Fantasy (first published January 1st 1985)

Denise
This is an enjoyable collection of short stories by the late sci-fi author Anne McCaffrey. The first (title) story is set in her famous world of Pern, but the others are non-related to Pern. There is a good variety of fantasy, science fiction (of the Star Trek/Star Wars variety), fairy-tale or magical stories. The one story that has no sci-fi or supernatural elements is 'Habit is an Old Horse', and it is a real tear-jerker, so be warned! There are a few stories that are connected together - 'Dut...more
Enzo
Containing a few stories from Anne McCaffrey and the titular story based on Pern. This is a nice fast read. The problem at least with me is I wanted more Pern! But I'm ok with it because it is a nice story and reminds me that I should get back to reading the others I always promise myself I'll tackle.
Amy
I had mixed feelings about this book. I wasn't expecting it to be a collection of shorter stories, a fault on my part, but I was disappointed when the first story was cut short. In general I found some of the stories to be excellent and some I could hardly get through. It is a good book if you're looking for a mixture of everything since it ranges from dragons to space travel to time travel to normal life on Earth, but I didn't find it to be that fantastic.
Rachel
An uninspired collection further weakened by Ms. McCaffrey's inexplicable need to begin her book with an oddly long essay about every single time a stranger or acquaintance recognized her name. Frankly, Anne McCaffrey, I don't much care.
Melissa
Very diverse collection of short stories.

I've only read a few McCaffrey Pern novels so I'm only familiar with her high fantasy style. I did have to read the title story twice, the second time allowed me to fit the characters back into what bits I remembered of Pern.

After that I experienced a bit of stylistic whiplash - high fantasy, SF horror, absurdist humor, space opera, sociopathic time-travel, magical realism (yeah, yeah), fairy tales - that made it hard for me to "settle" into the book. T...more
Kacey
When I was younger, I loved Anne McCaffrey's books. So I thought to check this out and find out if the magic was still there. And in part it was, but the problem was I wanted more from the world of Pern than what I got. That isn't the fault of this book, of course. The short stories all brought on different worlds and introduced me to new characters. But since they were short stories, I couldn't be drawn into the plot.

So while I'm sure the stories were all good, they were maybe too short for me....more
Melinda
A book made up of short stories by Anne McCaffrey. I was a little startled at first when the second story was written about a different world/different time than the first, but after I took a break between stories, I really enjoyed the book. It is a wonderful introduction to her many different writings. Though some of the stories are oddly disturbing, many of them leave you with a sense of hope, a smile on your face, and the satisfaction that comes from a proper outcome to the story. There aren'...more
Maddalena
When I first realized that this short stories collection was gonna have just one Pern story, I was baffled; when I found out that that particular story could be found in Renegades of Pern (which I have), I was pretty angry at myself for not reading better the wikipedia page (which is really clear, in retrospect); but while some of the short stories confirmed my idea that Anne McCaffrey should just write Pern, and leave everything else alone, a couple of them were beautiful enough to make me like...more
Stefany
I bought the group thinking it was an anthology with several Pern stories, rather than just one story. Also, if I remember correctly, the Pern story in this book is in another anthology, and much more fleshed out in Renegades of Pern. I don't regrudge anyone liking the rest of the stories, I just think it was a cheap marketing tactic to get people to purchase the book, because unless you flip through it, you wouldn't know only one story is Pern-based, and the rest are something else.
Crystal
I love the Pern series, but sometimes short stories fit better around a busy schedule. These are good, but I prefer Get Off the Unicorn from this Author. She isn't quite as facile with creating multiple worlds as Mercedes Lackey, although that said, the Talent series and Sassinak books are also long-time favourites. Worth reading when you want something convenient and light.
Meri Schneider
I didn't like it. I wanted to read more about the girl who heard dragons, but it skips from story to story and I really didn't want to read about space wars. I only made it through 2 1/2 chapters and when I looked ahead and realized each chapter was a different story, I put it down. Very disappointed because I love Anne McCaffrey. Her writing was still excellent, I just wanted to read one whole story.
Asuka0278
This was my first Anne Mccaffrey book. The short story "The Girl Who Heard Dragons" hooked me from the start. After reading that one short story I went after every Pern book i could find at the time. :) She's one of the great Fantasy writers and I wish there was a way for her books to be transfered to film. Then again, it can be a hard transfer to do to a well loved series of books.
Theresa
a group of short stories of pern a good collections of things strugles of a young girl who lives on the outskirts of the pern society,contains a collection of stories about those outside the normal society of pern, while the dragons are gaining power and influence after many years without ,.
the strugles of a young girl who lives on the outskirts of the pern society

Pandionhalatius37.6
wasn't expecting the second short story, I got really into the first one and was a bit disappointed when it was over. writing style took some getting used to, but I enjoyed picking through the short stories and rereading the nice ones. all in all, I will be looking into more of Anne McCaffrey's books. also I got this one as a freebie at the library so score!!!
Jackie Krasuski
The McCaffreys have got to be my favorite science fiction authors ever. I got hooked on Pern during high school when I read the Harper Hall Trilogy, and then I went on to explore the rest of the world with Anne and Todd in the book adventures of a lifetime. I highly recommend any of the Dragonriders of Pern book series for any science fiction lover.
Dawnetta
Dec 21, 2007 Dawnetta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: 15+
Shelves: 14-and-up
I really enjoy the Dragonriders of Pern books. Some of the later books get into some homosexual references, which I don't enjoy reading about. It is a side element and not a main plot line. But because of this I would caution the young reader from getting into this series, until they can clearly think through this issue.
Miriam
When I grabbed this book in a hurry just before the library was about to close, I assumed it would be all Pern stories. I was a little disappointed, since what I was after was more Pern, but most of the stories were good. I'm not as much of a fan of "pure sci-fi" so those stories were a little harder for me to like.
Erin Eve
Only made it through the first four stories. I kind of liked the first one and will definitely be trying McCaffrey's novel Dragonflight, as the universe of Pern seems to have a lot of potential. Otherwise, the stories weren't terrible, I just couldn't get into them and decided to move on with my life.
Iavasul
Honestly, I only got this book for the short story in it about Pern.

The story is within the Renegades of Pern, which is my favorite of the series.
Bill
Have read about 50 of Anne McCaffrey's books, and with each passing story I like the mind of this amazing author. I was sort of disappointed that there was only one Pern story, but the rest of the book brought out some nice stories anyway.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
This collection of short stories only contained one relating to the Dragonriders of Pern for which the author is famous, but the rest of the stories have made me want to read her work outside that series.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I didn't like this one as much because I honestly couldn't understand why a girl who heard dragons wanted to avoid them. This book is trying to explain it. I just didn't feel it. It was just okay for me.
Sarah Hanawald
Loved the first story--not the rest. A book of short stories usually ebbs and flows. In this case, the title story makes it worth checking out of the library, but I'm glad I don't own it.
Lesley
Another of the reviewers mentioned that she bought this for the Pern story - Me Too!
I did like most of the other stories, but I am not a big fan of short stories, in general.
Sharon
Some of the stories in this collection are quite disturbing ("Velvet Fields," for example), but Aramina's story is another piece of Pern that eventually became an entire novel.
Jennifer Rolfe
Am going to re-read this one as it is so long ago since I first read it. I do love well written short stories and I do remember this as falling into that category.
Sarah Kate
Jan 24, 2008 Sarah Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who like short stories, people who like fantasy, people who like good writing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Collection of short stories by McCaffrey, some in her established universes and some which stand alone. Well written and easy to read, as always with her books.
Hazel
Anne McCaffrey has written an absolutely wonderful fantasy series. Her Pern novels are beautifully written and very enjoyable individually or as a whole.
Lavendersbluegreen
This is a book of fantastic shorts including a Pern story from the Renegades era. This is a must read for any McCaffrey fan!
Stephen
Intriguing collection of short stories by Anne McCaffrey. Something there for nearly everyone who enjoys a bit of sci-fi.
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar
  • Sword and Sorceress VIII
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)