Start by marking “Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey, #15)” as Want to Read:
Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey, #15)

Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey #15)

"Why is it, Joe, that you are always the one to find the body?"

On a lovely moonlit night, while carrying a gift of mice to a litter of kittens, Joe Grey stumbles upon a murder scene. Behind an empty house, in an empty swimming pool, there's blood, the smell of human death, and drag marks. But there's no victim—and it's hard to prove a crime without a corpse.

Driven by stubb
Published November 30th 2010 by Avon (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Striking Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Striking Back

Whitney
Sep 11, 2012 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just laugh to myself when I think about this book. I was shocked when I began reading it, "why?" you may ask? Because its sleuths are not only cats, but talking cats! It was a fun murder mystery, full of anticipation, excitement, and kept me on the edge of the chair the whole time. I felt the "cat-energy" the author tried to create, as she told the story based on what the cats saw. Being a cat owner/lover myself, I think she did a good job describing these creatures and their quirks and ...more
Talietha
another delight in the Joe Grey series. Joe stumbles across a crime scene, sans body. Ahh,
Joe & trouble just seem to find each other.
Once more we meet the regulars in Molena Point... always a great read.
Wanda Welling
Dec 03, 2010 Wanda Welling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as all her books are!
Gail Cooke
Oct 30, 2009 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Granted, considering the number sold it's doubtful that there are many first-time readers of Rousseau's Joe Grey series, but just in case there are a few things that should be accepted for prime enjoyment of this fun, part fantasy, all mystery story. First, decide that it's ok for cats to talk, to one another and to their human friends. Second, accept the fact that Joe is a cat and a full-time detective who will dare almost anything until the crime in question is solved. There, now that's ...more
Imjussayin
Aug 15, 2016 Imjussayin rated it it was ok
If you enjoy paranormal mysteries go for Joe Grey. Although this is book 15, you can read it as a stand-alone. It took me awhile to get back to Joe Grey; I overdosed on the first 14 books.

Joe irritates me, and I keep reading. It’s like being married; you love the person, but they can get on your nerves. He is kind and selfish. Surprisingly the balance works in these books.

Joe lives with Clive and his wife and her dog. Hmm, better let you know now, Joe is cat…who speaks. Honestly, it does work.
Abbey
2009, #15 Joe Grey/Dulcie, Molena Point, California; fantastical cosy. The scent of a dead body near a neighbor's empty house and water-less swimming pool leads Joe Grey and his feline friends to a murderer and thief with Ailurophobia and a terminal case of paranoia.

Molena Point is a beautiful coastal town in Northern California, lure to tourists, and a nice place for folks to live. In one small neighborhood four 30-ish couples have formed a friendly group, sharing meals and outings and the sto
Phair
Nov 28, 2009 Phair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Liked this one quite a bit. I read the Joe Grey's for the characters & the village life rather than for the mystery aspect. I like the way she wrote part of the action from the perp's point of view but never gave enough identifying detail to pinpoint just WHO he was. A bunch of possibles were introduced & we learn quite a bit about each but you didn't get the final ID of the bad guy till the end and he had a satisfactory comeuppance. Lots of changes are in the wind for some main ...more
Devin O'Branagan
Jul 30, 2013 Devin O'Branagan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ironically, I just wrote a rave review of the series and then read (or tried to read) this book. The author, who I know can write very well, spent most of the book telling, not showing. It was like the book was written by an entirely different author and was beyond boring. Then much of the book is spent inside the mind of the killer and flashbacks to his intolerable cruelty and murder of cats when he was a child. It was ghastly. Then in the present day he harms more cats. Another cat is terribly ...more
Betty
All is quiet in Molena Point as Joe carries his gift over roof tops on the way he smells DEATH. Keep in the struggling mice tight he investigates the area and finds a scene of death. He continues on and leaves the gift for Mango.
Meanwhile Kit and Dulice make friends with Tansy a clowder cat. Randy used to live in the town before she was dumped in wilderness area. Tansy is a lot of help as she knows the houses. Sage watches the killer bury the woman and is hurt.
Clyde has decide to sell his antiqu
Carole
Mar 12, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books-read
The talking cats of Molena Point, Joe, Dulcie, and Kit, with the help of two talking ferals, solve a murder and some house break - ins in this episode. A few people know of their unique abilities, their housemates and the wife of the police chief. Over the years the cats have assisted the police in solving crimes, undercover. No one else must know of their abilities so the police don't know that their tips come from the cats, but they have learned to trust their help.
Pat
Sep 14, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I had the victim figured out in this one, but it turned out I was wrong! I like the way the clowder of feral cats is being brought into the stories more and also the way the main characters are evolving, both human and four-legged.
Edith
May 20, 2012 Edith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of a fun mystery series with sentient cats as protagonists. The characters are a delight and it is especially refreshing to find stories involving animals that are not overcome with sticky sentimentality.
Sandra Holladay
Cute book - first I've read in the series, and I will be reading more. I really enjoyed the interactions of the cats with each other and the humans. Joe is definitely a no-nonsense cat who has his head on straight (and nosey as a cat is).
Leslie
May 22, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I thought some of her earlier novels were a little silly but this story kept my interest. It was interesting to have part of the book written from another character's perspective. This is a fairly easy read, a good book to relax with.
Alyssa
I'd never read a Joe Grey mystery before so it took me a while to understand that Joe Grey was a talking cat(!). The murder was very detailed and it described it very carefully. It also took me lots of tries to find out WHO got murdered. All in all, this was a wonderful experience.
Carol
Nov 19, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats
One of my favorite series, and this book was a good installment in it. Good balance of the current in-book mystery and the series-long story of the cats.
Phillis
Oct 30, 2010 Phillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I reread this one. Ties every thing up for me. Now I await the release of the lastest Joe Grey book.
Anne-Kathrine
Jun 21, 2011 Anne-Kathrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Enjoyed this book just as I have the others in this series. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series :)
Caryn
Sep 25, 2011 Caryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2010
At first, I couldn't get into the story, but I love the characters. The story picked up at the end though. It was not my favorite of the series, but I enjoyed it.
Carol
Jul 10, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is prime reading! Shirley Rousseau Murphy is at her best with this book. Being a cat lover and a mystery lover has fulfilled all my needs with this book. It was very hard to put down!
Sally Spoon
I'm still having issues in being an adult enjoying my reading of a mystery where talking cats are the detectives.
Brett Bydairk
Jul 31, 2013 Brett Bydairk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another good entry in this rather lightweight series. A good plot, combined with changes and advances in the lives of most concerned make for a diverting few hours.
Ruth
Dec 17, 2009 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
i just didnt get this book. not a cat fan but i have read other cat mysteries. too much jumping around with the time line. the humans were very flat.
Holly
Mar 01, 2016 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series about Joe and the other talking cats ... always very similar in story, but good fun, none the less!
Vicky
Dec 27, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Sandra
May 28, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered shirley rousseau murphy last year, and her books are so well written that you will believe a clowder of cats can speak human! Have finished Cat Striking Back and onto Cat Pay the Devil
Vicky
Mar 15, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muse
Muse rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
M.
M. rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Michelle Wilson
Michelle Wilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
  • Cat in an Ultramarine Scheme (Midnight Louie, #22)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • Santa Clawed (Mrs. Murphy, #17)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)