Start by marking “The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery #10)

The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery #10)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  594 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Ever since Young Blackbeard became a hit movie, everyone has caught pirate fever, including the residents of Warner Pier. TenHuis Chocolate is selling out of chocolate treasure chests, pirate hats and ships.

When Lee McKinney Woodyard and her husband take their boat out on Lake Michigan, they're stunned when a mischievous band of pirates hops on board. Lee's is the first bo...more
Published October 5th 2010 by NAL Hardcover (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Pirate Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Pirate Plot

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca SteadFever 1793 by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Non-Fantasy Kids Through The Years # 2
50th out of 91 books — 8 voters
The Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerThe Lipstick Laws by Amy HolderThe Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoyThe Espressologist by Kristina SpringerThe Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski
Mmmm... Food on the Cover
128th out of 163 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I enjoyed this book with it's Pirate mysteries. I found it to be slightly predictable and yet I was entertained. I'm a bit weary of the Malapropisms but do indeed understand this is a very real condition. I guess I'm tired of it not being treated as Lee's personality and doesn't need to be spotlighted so often. Although, in this book, it was required.

I look forward to Ms. Carl's next book.
Judy Iliff
The Chocolate Pirate Plot by JoAnna Carl is another winner in her Chocoholic Mystery series. The setting for this episode is summer which worked well considering the there's snow on the ground here.

Lee, her husband Joe, and a couple of their friends are pleasantly amused when 3 pirates board their boat while out for an evening sail. The pirates are athletic and entertaining. Soon, it becomes the "in" thing for the people of Warner Pier to take their boats out near sunset and hope that they, too,...more
Joanne

Another cute cozy mystery in a series. I read one that I really enjoyed – this one I didn’t like as much. I think because it got solved quickly at the end and didn’t flow as well with the clues throughout the story.

Lee is the manager of Ten Huis chocolates in Warner Pier so there are some references to chocolate and many scenes in her shop. She’s affected by malapropism and her actions because of her word confusion were sometimes really funny.

The general story line is kind of related to the Pi...more
VJ
Although these books are set about an hour north of my hometown, I must admit the big draw is seeing just how many inaccuracies (especially in geography) are bandied about under the guise of artistic liberty. Thankfully, her stories are amusing enough to keep me coming back.

Set in "Warner Pier" which seems to be a fictionalized combo of Grand Haven and Saugatuck on Lake Michigan's shoreline, the author captures much of the charm of the area, including the Pennsylvania "Dutch" (German) and Dutch...more
Luffy Monkey D.
It's nice to rate a cozy mystery 3 stars. I've had slim pickings lately, plus I'm not a generous rater. Though the cozy mystery is my favorite genre, and though I do like to read them from cover to cover, they lack the brilliance of a real puzzler. Most of the struggle the amateur detective goes through is because he or in this case, she, is ahead of the police because of chance or due to being singled out for endangerment. All of that is true here.

Nevertheless, my favorite minor characters ar...more
Rebecca
In a small town on Lake Michigan, Lee and her aunt run a chocolate shop, which gets a lot of business when the summer tourists arrive. This year, there's the added attraction of the enigmatic dancing pirates, who board ships, do a performance, and disappear. When one of them turns up dead at the bottom of the lake, however, Lee knows there's more to it than anyone had suspected. A man is dead, another has vanished, the girl with him is avoiding the police, and to top it all off, there are rumors...more
Oddmonster
I do declare, Lee Kinney's growing a sense of humor. I blame marriage, myself.

In this installment of the chocolate whatnot series, she's a lot more laid-back and funny and way less judgmental about everything.

While the premise is a little ludicrous -- fake pirates boarding boats on a Great Lake are probably not going to make people very jolly so much as they're likely to get shot by the fine firearm-carrying folk of this great nation -- the actual plot works in a nearly Gilbert & Sullivan...more
Mark Baker
Pirate fever has taken over Warner Pier, but when a body turns up, Lee realizes things aren't all fun and games any more. The book started out feeling very scattered, but once things settled down, I really got into the story. And, everything tied together nicely in the end.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Katherine Decker
Another fun and entertaining read. JoAnna Carl is one of my favorite cozy mystery authors. The Chocoholic mystery series is one of the funniest series I read- I love Lee, Joe, Aunt Nettie, Hogan, and all of the rest of the characters of Warner Pier.
Syrdarya
Lee and Joe were the first to encounter the comedic pirates who boarded boats on Lake Michigan, and the town of Warner Pier became excited as people hoped to recount such an adventure for themselves. When someone goes missing, and another person - possibly one of the pirates - ends up dead, the good times come to a halt.

This book wasn't as funny as some of the others, but that isn't a bad thing. The mystery seemed a bit scattered, and the recurring characters played much less of a role in this...more
Kim
Another festive Michigan murder plot. Fun with pirates, plenty of fun locals, and some folks from afar as well.
Laura Salas
Sandybear76
Lee and Joe are having a fine picnic on their boat with friends when pirates come abroad. However, these pirates create a great time for the couples by performing with music and quick performances. The pirates "attack" other cruising ships through out the summer. However, the fun of the pirates' fun is overshadowed by a drowning near Lee and Joe's cottage. The town is also waiting to see if a movie actor playing a pirate comes to town. The local girls love the sexy movie star and can't wait to s...more
Arlene
Lee and Joe live in a lakeside community in Wisconsin. One evening whild they are out on their boat a group of pirates comes aboard and after doing some tricks and jigs they disappear over the side into the evening. They are drawn into a mystery when a distraut young woman says that her friend has dived into the lake and disappeared, then while looking for him the body of another young man is discovered. The story involves movie stars, yaghts and chocolate. A fun story.
Cheryl
Enjoyed yet another chocolate mystery. Loads of fun.
Susan
Lee and Joe Woodyard are both busy during the summer--Lee with her aunt's chocolate shop, and Joe with his boat building and work as a lawyer. When a man disappears from the Lake Michigan shore by their home, they find themselves involved in a plot to threaten a movie star, Marco Spear, who has set off a craze for pirates in his first blockbuster, "Young Blackbeard." The puzzles don't go very deep, but it's still enjoyable watching Lee try to solve them.
Angie
Another excellent book by this author,page turner until the end!
Christine
Another quick story around the chocolate shop TenHuis in Warner Pier. A few chocolate facts in the book. Lee and Joe are caught in another plot this time involving pirates. I enjoyed the theme and I so wish I could have a bon bon right now- they sound delicious. Yes, you figure out who is behind it but I like how it gets wrapped up in the end. Can't wait for the next adventure!
Holly Leighfield
I like her style of writing. The main character has a personality that infiltrates the whole book. This book was a little less polished than I've come to expect from this series but I still enjoyed the read. I love the chocolate facts and the names of the chocolates as they come up in the book. Makes me want to visit the shop even though I know it isn't real...
Jenn
Since the release of the movie Young Blackbeard, everyone caught pirate fever including TenHuis Chocolade who's selling chocolate ships, hats, galleons and treasure chests. Joe and Lee are caught up in a mystery that had to do with a big hollywood actor and his highschool friend being held for ransom. I didn't enjoy this book like i had the previous.
Carrie
Hmmmm. . .I'm 25 pages in & I had to put it down. I'm irritated with Lee, she's supposed to be younger than me, 31, but she sounds like she's about 60 when talking to her college age stepsister. I usually really enjoy these books, but it is getting more & more obvious that the author is many years older than her protagonist.
Elise Dubois
I enjoyed it as any easy read. There were a few spots where the flow was 'sticky' - it was almost like a whole page was missing...but when I checked the pages numbers...they followed right. I found that these are getting a bit less interesting/fun than the early ones. Not sure what to think.
Dawn Michelle

While reading this I realized how much MORE I like these books than the Hannah Swenson mysteries. This was a lot of fun, with quite a bit of intrigue!!! And while I figured one aspect of the story out, the rest of it was a "mystery" to me until the end, when it was revealed. Perfect!!! :-)
Megan Barrett
I was desperate for a book at the library and grabbed two of her books. Having never read any of her writing before, I didn't know what to expect. I found her writing style a little sophomoric. I just did not enjoy reading her books.
Caroline
I love the Chocoholic series by Joanna Carl! I enjoy the Michigan setting, love Joe, Lee, Aunt Nettie, Hogan and all the other characters and I really get a kick out of the chocolate facts spread throughout the book! Yummy!
Terri
Cute, fluffy reading for a sick day. I figured out one of the plot points early on in the story, but I wasn't expecting all of the twists. There's nothing really remarkable about the story, but it was entertaining.
Sandi
I like these books, but this one wasn't her best. These books are light and entertaining without language etc, that too many books today tend to use. It was easy enough to read, but hoping the next is a bit better...
Maryann
Fun book, quick read. I really enjoy this series. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but there is mystery, suspense and a good dose of humor. Can't wait for my next Chocoholic Mystery!
Ruth
This was so disjointed and I couldn't get a handle on any of the characters or the plot that I didn't even finish it AND it was about chocolate so that is saying something.
Christine
Cute, short and sweet. I think these are sometimes maybe a little TOO cutesy, and this is no exception, but Lee and her family and friends are great company for a summer day.
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • Buttons and Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #14)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #7)
  • Black Beans and Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as...more
More about JoAnna Carl...
The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2) The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery #3) The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5) The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)