The Beginning (Animorphs)

The Beginning (Animorphs #54)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,267 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The extraordinary conclusion to the best-selling Animorphs series. Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, and Ax know that even if they could have warned people in the beginning, no one would have believed their story. A story about an invasion of parasitic aliens. So, for all this time, Jake, the other Animorphs, and Ax have secretly fought a desperate battle. Secretly held...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books

Odette
Jules
I had read THE ENTIRE SERIES by the time I was 13 or 14. There's no doubt in my mind that this is as good as kids' literature can get. I've never watched the TV series, and I don't intend to, out of fear of it ruining the intense experience that is the Animorphs books. K.A. Applegate made me laugh, cry and nearly crap my pants more than any other author could back in the day. Hell, she's what got me into reading in the first place.
She crafts an unbelievably creative universe; her characters - h...more
Swankivy
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
Tracy
The end of Animorphs. It was great to reread this one ten years later. KA Applegate does a great job showing the realities of life after war. It'd be awesome if all the characters went back to being kids after fighting for three years but sadly that's not the case. All the characters, Ax, Tobias, Marco, Cassie, Jake, and even Rachel get a say in the last installment but Jake's the most fleshed out character and as I mentioned before, my favorite. Something about the quiet, silent, and tragic war...more
Alicia
Anna
Okay I'm fine with the characters who died...it was a war after all and it would not be realistic or believable if everything tied up in a neat little clean bow.

In fact, I really liked this book and the one before it.

However, I don't know what the author was possibly thinking to just leave the book hanging like that. It was dumb. I now feel very unfulfilled and a bit angry.
Tulsi
The end to this series is fantastic. Applegate doesn't hold any punches back at all, punishing some characters, rewarding others. Excellent ending to the series.
Mandy
Warning: Book Spoilers in this review.

I LOVED this series, I read all of the regular series and most of the special books... and then I read this last one.

I HATED it.

When I heard that one of them was going to die, I knew it would be Rachel, because everyone kept saying she was such a natural warrior and wondered what she'd do after the war was over. I was fine with that part. I had expected it.

But the rest of it was so entirely depressing. Especially with Jake and Tobias. Jake had tried from th...more
Michelle
Marilyn
I read the first half of this serie in french, when I was around fourteen (the rest of it wasn't available). Then during 10 years I did not know what happened with those books, is there an end ? What was it ?
Then last month, I went at the public library and found some Animorphs, I borrow two books and then I realize it was the two final chapters !!!
So now, ten years later, I finally know how that serie ends!
I really loved those two books, even if I'm older now.
And what a finale, definitively...more
Bookworm66
Lindsey
Have you ever read a 63 book series and then when you've come to the end of it you see no other course of action than to attempt to burn down your own house, but it's hard because you can't really hold the matches in your hands because they're shaking so much from the utter emotional devastation that a book series intended for tweens has wrought on your 20-something being?

Be a good friend and don't let Animorphs happen to any one you love.
Sudeshna
It was SO GOOD! BUt so sad. A fitting conclusion to the epic series that I devoured in my childhood. 54 books - and all of them have been wonderful. Applegates's new series (new in 2001 - I'm just behind) sounds wonderful and I think I'll look into it. All hail - the triumphant end - or beginning - to the legendary Animorphs.
Okay, I'll admit, I cried when I read this one the first time, and I cried when I reread it as an adult. Though I did not really enjoy some of the preceding books to the end of the series, #54 did the series justice.
Rayni
Nov 03, 2007 Rayni rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
This was so disappointing. After reading this final book of the series, I never want to read another K.A. Applegate book.
Andrew
I thoroughly loved this book. I thought it was a great way to end a pretty much amazing series.
Amy Chang
Jenny
Brandi
Sep 10, 2012 Brandi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: animorphs
Geneva
I haven't really read this book (surprise, surprise) but I've read plenty of spoilers about it. Enough to say this about it:
A lot of people hated this book. I did too at first, until I realized what it really was about.
It is one of those rare books that truly show the reality of war. What it does to people, the fact that people die in it, and that big decisions are made, many of which are regretted. A lot of people wanted a happy, defeat-all-the-aliens ending, not the cliffhanger we got. But th...more
Sara ♥
Horrible beyond all belief.

This book very nearly made me lose all faith in book series. Was I going to devote YEARS of my life to other series only to be so completely crushed at the end? Because this book crushed me. It's been over 10 years... I'm an adult now, and I still pretend this book never happened. After all this time, I've gotten pretty good at convincing myself of that.

Fortunately, I found Meg Cabot, who I trust UNRESERVEDLY to come through with a good ending to her series (even if I...more
Pamela
The Beginning: extremely sad and unsatisfying. I will conceed to the fact that it was well written. Applegate didn't settle for a fairytale ending, but was realistic. Yes, it's sad that Rachel died, sad that Tobias and Jake never moved on, sad that Marco ended up with a luxirious but empty- void of things that matter- life, disappointing that Jake and Cassie didn't end up together, but that's life. Not everything goes the way we want them to. However, I find it hard to forgive K.A. Applegate for...more
Rachel Kelley
This book broke my heart. Especially as it's the first time ever since the first book or so that we get to see Tobias in human form.........and he's crying. :/ Because Rachel died.........
Komadori
Siti Sumaiyyah
Jessalyn
So my friend let me borrow the last book because I unfortunately stopped somewhere in the #50s and you can't find these anywhere anymore. I can only say how terribly disappointed I am in this book. It was...not awful, but close to it. Maybe reading the next to last book and then this one might have helped, but the end was terrible..

All this new stuff coming to light and then "oh why don't I just end it here and write a letter to my fans apologizing for the crappy ending because I clearly had no...more
Shira
I spent over six years (almost) looking for this book without giving up, and for a barely-14 year old, that's a lot of time. If only I had known when it was published, then maybe I wouldn't have wasted a year or two waiting for it to come out. It was almost worth the wait, and more than worth the money I spent on it. The high-note ending isn't really my thing, but I don't thinkthat there was any better way for the series to end. K. A. Applegate, thank you for writing this series.
Becuase I was a rather sad excuse of a person when I was 9 or 10, I don't remember much, I read SOME of these books and they were actually pretty ok.So yeah, not epic, but pretty ok anyway.
But I was in love with them back then, so they do have a pretty strong childhood attachment.
Now, i don't really think of them as much.
It was good while it lasted I guess.
Wierdo ending though. i do remember being kinda sad about it.
Rose
I can never decide if open endings frustrate or amuse me. That said, we're finished, finally. It took about a month, but I read all 54 books in this series, plus like 5 side stories that go with it. And it was quite a ride. One thing that irked me was that you could tell when the author stopped using her ghostwriter. The last story arc was infinitely better, and not just the story itself, but the writing as well.
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • Death Note Box Set
  • Dragon Castle
  • Beware, the Snowman (Goosebumps, #51)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 3 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #3)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1 (Higurashi When They Cry Manga, #1)
  • Fruits Basket: The Complete Collection
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p...more
More about Katherine Applegate...
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3)

“Yes," he said. "You were strong. You were brave. You were good. You mattered.” 70 likes
“And oh, god, how could so much regret and so much sweetness and so much sadness all be present in that single moment. I was already dead and missing my unlived life. I was already dead and Tobias was mourning.

I tried to smile. For him.”
27 likes