Start by marking “The Arrival vol.38” as Want to Read:
The Arrival  vol.38

The Arrival vol.38 (Animorphs #38)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,384 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ax's people have arrived on Earth, and they want Ax back on board with them. Ax is torn. Should he join his fellow Andalites? Can he desert the Animorphs?
148 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by Tandem Library (first published February 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Arrival vol.38, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arrival vol.38

Priscilla
I was both excited and wary when I saw that this was an Ax installment. Excited because I love seeing things from Ax's point of view since his insights to and experiences with human cultures and creations are hilarious and sometimes on-point. Wary because, given the quality of the last couple of books, there was a chance I would be disappointed.

Thankfully, this is a better book than its predecessor. Ax once again has to decide where his loyalty lies - to the Animorphs or to Andalites? The discus
Alan Gilfoy
"Great new stuff"

Getting right to some action kept the exposition from dragging.

Ax was amusingly proud of himself in Chapter 2. I also liked the point about the different battle morphs being complementary.

Knowing roughly what happens here, I saw a lot of foreshadowing. I suppose that's good writing.

I've thought a lot about the other Andalites, but forgot they showed up so soon. That makes sense as a non-resolution to the initial confrontation, but this series has a habit of stringing things alon
Julie Decker
While saving a Chee from torture at a newspaper office, the Animorphs are startled to find out it was a trap, but even more startled to be saved by Andalites. A band of four of them are on Earth, and Jake needs to know why. Are they the reinforcements from the Andalite world, there to help win the war? Or do they have their own agenda? Ax's loyalty is again tested, but this time he remains loyal to Prince Jake. However, it's hard to resist the lovely female Andalite Estrid, who is brilliant and ...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
Caitlin
SIGH IDK!!!

(ALL THE SPOILERS!)
(view spoiler)
Swankivy
Woo-hoo, the Andalites arrived. Or should we be rejoicing? Urgh, poor Ax. This one totally wowed me. Jake really kicked butts and took names. He's pretty confident as the leader of the secret military of Earth, yes?

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

This book is ghostwritten by Kimberly Morris.

Odd that subordinate Yeerks are cautioning against killing a person because Visser Three will be furious at the loss of a host body. Visser Three constantly kills host bodies unnecessarily. If it was real
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

An elite team of Andalites lands on Earth to assassinate Visser Three and immediately demand that Ax chose a side: his people, or his family. With the Animorphs demoralised at the prospect of the Andalite fleet giving up on Earth, Ax joins the Andalites only to uncover a bigger conspiracy that would leave ramifications through the war against the Yeerks.

I love reading Ax’s books. I love his formal voice, his love of humans, his pride in his own people. I l
Alex
I am still having a great time reading through the Animorphs series. The books are definitely starting to decline in quality, but I am still enjoying them.

(view spoiler)
Almira
Omg Ax. :[

This one's sad. We get to see more of Ax and how it's like to be lonely, away from home, surrounded by species who are very different from you.

I just hate it that he cried, I mean... nooooo Ax is too cool to cry. He's always sad, that I know, and have accepted, but it's the kind of sad that's beautiful even for an Andalite. Like a graceful kind of sad. So when he cried, my respect for Ax increased.
alternBRUNO°°
This was a great way to grasp again the core story. I loved the plot twist when they were trapped in the ship.
Amantha
Were any of the books past Visser any good at all?
Ashley
4.5. I enjoyed this one, different from most of the others. We get to see some real scum of the earth types... or Andalite homeworld, at any rate.

I was a bit confused about whether the Animorphs faked breaking up (I'm pretty sure it was real, because Rachel wouldn't have been allowed to attack indiscriminately), but at the same time they were tricking one of the Andalites and happen to be able to work together at the end? Then again, Ax did use these events as a test for the female Andalite. St
Weathervane
This one kind of confused me. Did the Animorphs trick the Andalites earlier in the book by acting crazy and disunified, or was that legitimate? It can't have been, otherwise they wouldn't have reunited later in the book. It's strange.

Otherwise, I was pleased with the plot, though one has to wonder if the Animorphs would've had a different reaction to the virus if it had a chance to kill another species instead of humans, and if they had seen it as absolutely necessary to stopping the Yeerk plagu
Bonesy
I personally was not a huge fan of this book. It was well-written, but I hated having so many new characters in one book. I would sometimes mix up the two Andalites whose names started with an A. I loved Estrid and her interactions with Ax, and the ending was pretty depressing. It was still a moving book despite me not being a huge fan of the big action scenes where I start to get confused with all the new characters.
Jackie Krasuski
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Tulsi
A good enough read, some interesting ideas of how far would you go to win a war, but nothing that wasn't already covered in a better way previously in the series. Cute seeing Ax fall in love though.
Soo Jo
Rather perceptive of a child yet it was very cliche but that may be the fact that I know what happens in the end...
Christiana Sherrill
Kissing is not as pleasing as chocolate, according to Andalites.
sisky
sisky added it
Jul 30, 2015
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Sara Engelland
Sara Engelland marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Linn Leonhardsen
Linn Leonhardsen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 6
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 5 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #5)
  • Dragon Castle
  • Death Note Box Set
  • Fruits Basket: The Complete Collection
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)