Start by marking “Why You Act the Way You Do” as Want to Read:
Why You Act the Way You Do

Why You Act the Way You Do

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Readers discover how temperament affects their work, emotions, spiritual life, and relationships and learn how to make improvements. Spanish available
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published May 26th 1988 by Tyndale Momentum (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Why You Act the Way You Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why You Act the Way You Do

Michelle
This book was quite interesting. It helps you to see what makes other people tick and how differently they process the same information. Filters can be radically not aligned. People are multidimensional. More people should read this book to better understand the differences in others and their perspectives. God looks at the heart and understanding others and their hearts might help some not judge so radically when conflicts arise. Great Scriptural references to soften even the toughest souls. We ...more
Jean Wilund
As I stated in my review of "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Smalley, understanding the temperaments and the love languages are two of the best things you can do for your relationships.

I married my exact opposite in temperaments so this book opened our eyes to why in the world we act the way we do. I'm no longer offended by things he was doing and the way he was reacting to certain things because now I know that everyone with his temperament does...he's not weird after all! And now he understan
Billy
This is one of the very few serious attempts I've seen of Christian leaders addressing the issues of the ancient theory of the temperaments. I find his take on using the weaknesses of each temperament as a way of identifying how the Spirit needs to work in our lives very interesting. His applications are not nearly as practical as the Myers-Briggs materials I've seen for vocational pursuits, but this is the best I've seen at trying to integrate this theory within the wider Christian worldview of ...more
Gina Herald
Insight into self and others is quite helpful in a world where so much of what we say can be misunderstood. Or maybe that's "how we said it". I love to understand where others are coming from. Helps me relate to them better.
Olamilekan
am glad i did read the book, it enable me know more about myself and the author gave ways on how to improve oneself and that of the society. i enjoyed it all through and i think it pretty amazing
Crystal
This book along with the "Spirit Controlled Temperament" helped me to change my life.
My family hates when I read this book. I can get a little obsessed with it.
Ekeoma
It talks about temperaments. the diff types of temperaments, how to manage and strengthen ur temp weaknesses. how to choose a vocational career, life partner based on ur temp types and so many other life enhancing topics. it has many Bible references as it discusses the diff type of temps. Therefore it is a book that i can recommend to anybody
TheRose
The temperment theory is very interesting, but I found the book to be a trifle boring. I ended up skimming through it rather than reading it. Perhaps in the future I will revisit the temperments through the eyes of another author.

BTW - I identified myself as a SanMel (Sanguine with a little Melancholic). :)
Misterd
This is an interesting book that challenged my limited understanding of our human behavior from a Christian perspective. I especially liked the exploration of traits stemming from the Adamic & Holy Spirit. I recommend this book to Christian counselors and fellow, curious behavioral analysts.
Dennis
I really enjoyed reading this book! It sure gives you insight on how to deal with people and to prepare yourself for the world of work/family/friendships/dating or whatever else. I now think of everyone I know (Hmmmm... he/she seems to be choleric/phlegmatic with a little melancholy in there!)
Michaelbatte
An awesome book - will help anyone to understand their own gifts to use them better and will help people to understand why you cant change the basic nature of anyone - a very enlightening book - a great book for any married couple or parents of children
Erika
I had a very difficult time "getting in to" this book. It seems redundant and actually confusing at times. I prefer The Birth Order Book by Leman personally.
Flora
Jul 04, 2013 Flora added it
the book enabled me to discover myself in a way that i had not imagined before. i need to know more on the same subject but in the field of missions.
Devon
This book got my buddies and I through a semester in college. Made for some interesting conversation starters. I am phleg/san btw;P
K.M. Weiland
Fascinating stuff. Despite a slant toward male readers, this is one of the best book on personality I've read.
Laurie
excellent book....I've read it several times over the past 5 years.
M
It seems plausible but unscientifically proven.
Teresa
Most interesting and very useful information.
Karen Trim
Read many years ago. Much truth.
Budale damilola
Rade
perkenalan pertama saya terhadap jenis-jenis kepribadian. informatif.
Bridget
May 18, 2008 Bridget marked it as to-read
Shelves: self-help
Have this book
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alex Davidson
Alex Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
A Temperamental Solution. 1 9 Feb 29, 2008 02:49AM
  • The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says about Love, Sex and Intimacy
  • The Essential Enneagram
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • Who Switched Off My Brain?
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Soul Talk: The Language God Longs for Us to Speak
  • I Dare You: Embrace Life with Passion
  • The Sacred Search: What If It's Not about Who You Marry, But Why?
  • Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
  • How to Be Found by the Man You've Been Looking for
  • When Dreams Come True: A Love Story Only God Could Write
  • Play Therapy
  • Killing Lions: A Guide Through the Trials Young Men Face
  • She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye is an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim F. LaHaye...
Left Behind (Left Behind, #1) Tribulation Force (Left Behind, #2) Nicolae (Left Behind, #3) Soul Harvest: The World Takes Sides (Left Behind, #4) Apollyon (Left Behind, #5)