Start by marking “Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense” as Want to Read:
Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense

Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense

This book is a classic. Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense has been consistently updated through its revised editions and remains the model for introductory literature texts. It is compact and easy to hold--not bloated and indiscriminate in its selections
Hardcover, 8th Edition, 1745 pages
Published August 14th 2001 by Heinle & Heinle Publishers (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Perrine's Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perrine's Literature

Marzieh
Yes! Finally!
I've been studying this book for the last two semesters. Reading this book, I learned a lot about the basics and introductions to English literature. I read many good short stories, poems and plays that were included in the book. Well I haven't read them all, but I will. Someday! I just need some free time to go through these three books to review what I've read and read what I've skipped.
Jeff
Jan 10, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As a general rule, I don't post any books here that I haven't read completely (hence no design books since, honestly, I only hunt and peck through those). This is one exception to the rule. I haven't read every page of this. And I haven't read all the stories, but I've read every one of the considerable number of poems.

This was one of my dad's books. A text book, apparently. Printed the year I was born. When I went to college I took it with me... and it sits right now with its tattered spine on
Paras2
Sep 15, 2016 Paras2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-textbook
who am I kidding, I'll never let this book go. but for now I'm done.
Jeff
Nov 07, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
As for how much I liked the creative work within, it's a mixed bag. Some things I really enjoyed and felt led me to grow in my understanding of literature, while others fell flat. I was wavering on giving this 3 stars, but considering the excellent lessons and thought-provoking questions, I thought it only fair to add a star. Obviously, one reading isn't enough to fully grasp this tome, but I can't help but believe that with diligent application of the teachings spread throughout, my future read ...more
Howl
Nov 07, 2016 Howl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, hardcover, literature
I liked this textbook enough that I payed the $60 or so to keep it when I left highsch00l.
Erhans_poonis
Mar 11, 2013 Erhans_poonis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-refrences
this book was very helpful for me.. to do my thesis... thx goodreads.com, n tahx all...
Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere)
I originally snagged this from my father who was ready to cart it off to the used bookstore - he'd used it when teaching high school decades ago. I had this idea that I'd make some book art out of it, because I was certain there'd be nothing in it that would appeal to me. But of course I decided to read it before getting out the scissors, and that's when I discovered the short story Two Bottles of Relish by Lord Dunsany. I'm not a huge fan of Dunsany, but nothing else I've read of his reads quit ...more
Meen
The first class I took after I got sober was Intro to Computer Science at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, but later that semester they offered a 1/2 semester Comp I night course. I saved up my tips all week to pay for it and got another bartender to switch nights with me, and I was absolutely amazed that I could actually write a little bit. The next semester I ate UP the Comp II class, and at the end of the semester I went to turn my book back in at the bookstore, and this Lit book was ...more
Ctb
Jun 03, 2011 Ctb rated it it was amazing
I have the 3rd edition from 1978 and have read every page, poem, and short story at least three times. My favorite short story, Barthelme's "Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby" is here and I often reread it and try to force guests to read it.
Jenifer
The Red Wheelbarrow
Pied Beauty"
Carl
Feb 01, 2010 Carl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. i never thought that literature was so complex. the cadence that some of the play take on is mundane but still had me glued to the book as awhole. though this started out as a required class reading i completed on my own time.
Hollie
Jan 27, 2012 Hollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in A/P English in my 12th grade year. It is an instruction manual/collection of poems, short stories, etc. I have read through most of the book, including all of the stories at one time or another and many of the stories and poems multiple times.
Janice
Literature; structure, sound, and sense by Laurence Perrine (1970)
Mark
May 21, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best literature compilations I've ever come across. I've been lugging it around for years since my first college days and still find myself refering to it.
Storm
Jun 24, 2012 Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Use it all the time.
Serina
Dec 17, 2013 Serina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school, poetry
The didactic explanations and dull questions at the end of the poems kind of took away the joy of reading poetry, but at least the selection is very nice.
Rachel
Oct 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
reading this with my AP lit class... ya, most of the stories are really morbid, but i guess they're good for learning... =P
Erin
Oct 06, 2009 Erin is currently reading it
Very nice book. Very resourceful!
Ava
Sep 16, 2014 Ava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it very useful. Helped me learn many things about literature.
Jessica
ap lit and comp.

enough said.
Cassandra Giovanni
Rating is based on educational content and not on included stories, poems or dramas.
Sdiggity
Feb 21, 2009 Sdiggity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite english teacher in the world snuck Dylan Thomas into my life. "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
laura
Dec 24, 2007 laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So yeah, I read this in my English class in 12th grade, but it is still the best collection of short stories and poetry that I've found.
Adam
Oct 15, 2009 Adam added it
AP Lit book... fun stuff (there actually are some interesting things in it, but some of the stories are...not pleasant...at all.
Kaylyn
Dec 14, 2009 Kaylyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not that I actually sat down and read this book cover to cover, but I have to give it 5 stars. It is so witty and entertaining; it makes poetry fun! Poetry and fun? Whoa.
Denise
No, I haven't read it all, (it's a textbook) but one of your better compilations. Always enjoy picking it up to read a selection. Good information and questions, too.
Mary hallow
Jan 09, 2015 Mary hallow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only read Othello.
Ian
May 01, 2010 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written textbook which explains why and how to read poetry, stories, and drama. Also contains an excellent and large collection of works.
Anne Farmer
Aug 27, 2008 Anne Farmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book for the AP Literature class I am teaching. This is an amazing collection of literature!
  • The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • A Reader's Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory
  • The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach
  • The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces: Volume 1
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Writing Analytically
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Volumes A & B
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Beyond the First Draft: The Art of Fiction
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School

“A final caution to students: in making judgments on literature, always be honest. Do not pretend to like what you really do not like. Do not be afraid to admit a liking for what you do like. A genuine enthusiasm for the second-rate is much better than false enthusiasm or no enthusiasm at all. Be neither hasty nor timorous in making your judgments. When you have attentively read a poem and thoroughly considered it, decide what you think. Do not hedge, equivocate, or try to find out others' opinions before forming your own. But having formed an opinion and expressed it, do not allow it to petrify. Compare your opinion then with the opinions of others; allow yourself to change it when convinced of its error: in this way you learn. Honestly, courage, and humility are the necessary moral foundations for all genuine literary judgment.” 3 likes