Start by marking “Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense (Eighth Edition)” as Want to Read:
Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense (Eighth Edition)

Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense (Eighth Edition)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Fine. Minimal shelfwear. No markings. Pages are clean and bright. Hinges unbroken.
Hardcover, 8th Edition, 1776 pages
Published August 14th 2001 by Thomson / Wadsworth (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Perrine's Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perrine's Literature

Jeff
As a general rule, I don't post any books here that I haven't read completely (hence no design books since, honestly, I only hunt and peck through those). This is one exception to the rule. I haven't read every page of this. And I haven't read all the stories, but I've read every one of the considerable number of poems.

This was one of my dad's books. A text book, apparently. Printed the year I was born. When I went to college I took it with me... and it sits right now with its tattered spine on...more
Erhans_poonis
this book was very helpful for me.. to do my thesis... thx goodreads.com, n tahx all...
Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
I originally snagged this from my father who was ready to cart it off to the used bookstore - he'd used it when teaching high school decades ago. I had this idea that I'd make some book art out of it, because I was certain there'd be nothing in it that would appeal to me. But of course I decided to read it before getting out the scissors, and that's when I discovered the short story Two Bottles of Relish by Lord Dunsany. I'm not a huge fan of Dunsany, but nothing else I've read of his reads quit...more
Meen
The first class I took after I got sober was Intro to Computer Science at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, but later that semester they offered a 1/2 semester Comp I night course. I saved up my tips all week to pay for it and got another bartender to switch nights with me, and I was absolutely amazed that I could actually write a little bit. The next semester I ate UP the Comp II class, and at the end of the semester I went to turn my book back in at the bookstore, and this Lit book was...more
Ava
I found it very useful. Helped me learn many things about literature.
Cassandra Giovanni
Rating is based on educational content and not on included stories, poems or dramas.
Jenifer
The Japanese Quince
The Red Wheelbarrow
Pied Beauty"
Hollie
I received this book in A/P English in my 12th grade year. It is an instruction manual/collection of poems, short stories, etc. I have read through most of the book, including all of the stories at one time or another and many of the stories and poems multiple times.
Ctb
I have the 3rd edition from 1978 and have read every page, poem, and short story at least three times. My favorite short story, Barthelme's "Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby" is here and I often reread it and try to force guests to read it.
Carl
WOW. i never thought that literature was so complex. the cadence that some of the play take on is mundane but still had me glued to the book as awhole. though this started out as a required class reading i completed on my own time.
Kaylyn
Not that I actually sat down and read this book cover to cover, but I have to give it 5 stars. It is so witty and entertaining; it makes poetry fun! Poetry and fun? Whoa.
Mark
This is one of the best literature compilations I've ever come across. I've been lugging it around for years since my first college days and still find myself refering to it.
Denise
No, I haven't read it all, (it's a textbook) but one of your better compilations. Always enjoy picking it up to read a selection. Good information and questions, too.
Serina
The didactic explanations and dull questions at the end of the poems kind of took away the joy of reading poetry, but at least the selection is very nice.
Ian
Well-written textbook which explains why and how to read poetry, stories, and drama. Also contains an excellent and large collection of works.
Adam
May 12, 2010 Adam added it
AP Lit book... fun stuff (there actually are some interesting things in it, but some of the stories are...not pleasant...at all.
laura
So yeah, I read this in my English class in 12th grade, but it is still the best collection of short stories and poetry that I've found.
Anne Farmer
I am currently reading this book for the AP Literature class I am teaching. This is an amazing collection of literature!
Rachel
reading this with my AP lit class... ya, most of the stories are really morbid, but i guess they're good for learning... =P
Farzaneh Doosti
Sep 06, 2007 Farzaneh Doosti rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Literature Beginners
Shelves: on-lit
The book is inspiring and quite helpful for the literature beginner and i still owe alot to what i learnt from this book
Sdiggity
My favorite english teacher in the world snuck Dylan Thomas into my life. "rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Janice
Literature; structure, sound, and sense by Laurence Perrine (1970)
Alex
The selection of short stories and poetry is great!
Erin
Oct 06, 2009 Erin is currently reading it
Very nice book. Very resourceful!
Storm
Use it all the time.
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Adamaj74
Adamaj74 is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014
Aziza Salako
Aziza Salako marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Volumes A & B
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Best Words, Best Order: Essays on Poetry
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?
  • The Norton Shakespeare
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men
  • Craft Lessons
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry Perrine's Story and Structure Perrine's Literature Structure, Sound & Sense 10th Edition: (Insrtuctor's Edition.) Perrine's Literature; Structure, Sound & Sense; Instructor's Manual Perrine S Literature Im

“A final caution to students: in making judgments on literature, always be honest. Do not pretend to like what you really do not like. Do not be afraid to admit a liking for what you do like. A genuine enthusiasm for the second-rate is much better than false enthusiasm or no enthusiasm at all. Be neither hasty nor timorous in making your judgments. When you have attentively read a poem and thoroughly considered it, decide what you think. Do not hedge, equivocate, or try to find out others' opinions before forming your own. But having formed an opinion and expressed it, do not allow it to petrify. Compare your opinion then with the opinions of others; allow yourself to change it when convinced of its error: in this way you learn. Honestly, courage, and humility are the necessary moral foundations for all genuine literary judgment.” 3 likes