Start by marking “He's After Me” as Want to Read:
He's After Me

He's After Me

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  577 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Anna's bruised and upset by the collapse of her parents' marriage. So much of the fallout - including responsibility for her wayward younger sister - seems to be heading in her direction. All she wants is to get the exam results she needs to get herself to university - and away from this mess. She certainly wants nothing to do with boys - until Jem appears. Gradually he wi ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about He's After Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He's After Me

Lina
Nov 08, 2011 Lina rated it it was ok
I think we have all, to some degree, seen someone in Anna's position and feel completely powerless to stop it. A friend of yours meets this seemingly amazing person and they become completely-bat-shit, stupid. They are so convinced that this person is the one that they can't even see the obvious thing in front of them. If you bring it up...why you're just jealous of their relationship aren't you?

This book is that. Except it's not your friend, but probably someone you talk to from time to time ev
Daph (Loving Books)
Oct 30, 2011 Daph (Loving Books) rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. What a sad story.

It had me hooked from the first pages.

----------------

Anna's life is a mess after her parents split and when she meets Jem, he seems to be her answer to be happy again. They get in a relationship really quickly, and everything seems to be going great. Until cracks appear and the whole facade falls down..

This story shows how relationships can go wrong. The book is written from Anna's point of view, but also shows glimpses of someone with dark thoughts every other cha
Liz
Jan 11, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
"She wanted to..."
"I never meant..."
"It wasn't me..."
"She wanted to!"

Okay...this was a very interesting story. I almost wanted to give it 5 stars for taking a risk. I actually had no idea what this book was about, I just liked the cover. I found the story moved along very well...Anna was a well crafted character that seemed caught up in her situation. I found it believable...we all know how it feels to be madly in love. It's sad where this story leads. Both sad because of what happens to Olivia
Angel
I Loved This Book From The Start! After I finished reading ' He's after me' I was completely numb, it had such a sad ending. I felt Anna's pain from losing her sister and I felt sad that their relationship had to end. Anna was just an average girl who fell in love. She vowed that she was never going to be like her mum, all depressed and heartbroken from love. But well... That turned out well. Personally, I think the romance was great! But I wanted to hear more from Jem, at least we got to read s ...more
Abbie
Jul 07, 2011 Abbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 12-16
Well today i went to the book launch for this and I received a signed copy for the price of 5.99. I began reading this book at around 3:40 and then stopped at 4:20 for my tea then began again 15 minutes later and finished it by 5:15. It was quite a quick moving story but with a good story line, Chris said herself that she wanted to do a psychological book and that fits this genre perfectly it was amazing. ...more
Cate Biblio
Jun 17, 2015 Cate Biblio rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Hanar
Apr 06, 2012 Hanar rated it did not like it
crap.

utter crap. So pointless and badly written.

Anna seems to whine on and on about how her life is terrible because of Jude.. urgh. I got so bored I gave up half way through.

Do not buy it. Waste of time and money.

If you prefer more deep or insightful books, this is definitely a lost cause.

The book is written in a present tense narrative and goes along at such a fast speed that it just seems pathetically stupid and no where near like reality.

Why on earth would someone think just because they
Scarlett Morris
Aug 02, 2011 Scarlett Morris rated it liked it
I didn't expect brilliance from this book because I had previously red a Chris Higgins book and was not too impressed, but I must admit it was brilliant. The story kept me ripped and I was reading til early ours of the morning because I just couldn't put it down! The plot was deep and heavy going, but I find these the best stories because most real life situations do not have a happy ending, and I feel stories lack a strong ending when all is well. Tears were brought to my eyes at the end, as I ...more
Jul 23, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I liked He's After Me. I liked the intense storyline and the ending. The ending was unexpected and really good.
Anna was a likeable enough character. She was head over heels for Jem though and this made her beyond stupid, that stupidity got a bit annoying after a while.
I didn't really like Chris Higgins writing. It seemed too rushed. Like the story would have still been fast paced with a different type of writing style.
So I'm giving it a 3 stars because I loved the idea of the story and the st
Alex Fairhill
Mar 05, 2015 Alex Fairhill rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, realism
Some of us know people who've been in relationships were they can't see the other person is toxic or controlling. Some of us may have been in those relationships. This story is a great exploration of that subject.
Anna falls for Jem the moment she sees him. She falls hard. He's mysterious, charismatic, charming, and cares for her, which she welcomes after her parents break up. She finds his 200 messages a day to her endearing.
Her best friend doesn't like him, but Anna thinks this is jealousy. Her
Kristenj2009
Sexy, dark and mysterious, He's After Me did not disappoint.

You can pretty much tell what it's about from just looking at the cover. Dark, mysterious, intense, thriller.

Anna Williams, our protangonist, is an 18/19 year old grade 12 student studying hard to get into the university of her dreams just like anybody else. Then she meets Jem. Gorgeous, mysterious and intense, the connection is instant and Anna is quickly drawn into his much darker world.
And, well, to quote the book, "Not all love stor
Maria
Mar 02, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
A thrilling read from author Chris Higgins!

This story is about Anna. She meets a boy and they fall in love. They have amazing times together and everything is good. Yet beneath all this lies another story full of dark actions and obsessions.

Higgins has successfully captured the world from a young girls point of view. Although it is a quick read, we get to know the character, Anna, and get a feel for what her life is like before and after Jem enters. I like how sinister, mysterious and dark the n
Isabella Jarvisto
Mar 02, 2016 Isabella Jarvisto rated it did not like it
Shannon
Aug 23, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
An entertaining novel that has a very dark and serious side.

Chris Higgins perfectly captures the fact that abusive relationships don't only happen in adult life but also in teenage relationships too. The novel shows a realistic emotionally abusive realtinship and also shows its affects on the outside of the relationship too.

Well written and thought provoking.
Toughnandi
Jun 21, 2014 Toughnandi rated it it was amazing
i absolutely loved it.
Chris Higgins has a certain style to her writing that is easily distinguishable.i have read another one of her books 'the day i met suzie' and that was fabulous.
both books have a similar charachteristic , as both of them revolve around how an ordinary person meets someone new in their life . at first ,things go smoothly and then spirals out of control.
in 'He's after me' the book is centred around a girl called Anna who is trying to cope with her life.
Everything was going fi
Alice Cresswell
Aug 22, 2016 Alice Cresswell rated it really liked it
This is my friend, Sarah's, most treasured possession and favourite book in the world so i thought it was worth saying this.

Sarah loved the boyfriend. She wanted him for herself and that is why it is four stars instead of five.
Vickie Wilson
Jun 10, 2012 Vickie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I was so busy trying to work out who was the dude in italics that I wasn't expecting the ending. Shocking and I'll be thinking about it all day.
Abigail
Dec 07, 2012 Abigail rated it really liked it
i thought it would be another one of those love stories but it was totally different you should definitely read this book it is amazing
Kaz_Boswell_
Jan 09, 2016 Kaz_Boswell_ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
TOTAL LIKE ITS A 50/50 THING

DONT READ IT

U'LL PROBABLY HATE IT

TIME WASTE
HOW DARE SHE!!!!!

AFTER READING I FOOUND MYSELF SAYING "ITS BAD...CHRIS WERE U MAD? HOW CAN U MAKE D LOVELY JEM BAD?

U WUD HATE IT!!

SHE MAKES JEM SOOOOO CUTE N TELLZ US BY D END HE WAS WICKED WHICH IS THE WORST...HATE IT!!

JEM IS GUD SUPER AMAZING N THIS BOOK CUD HAVE BEEN QUITE 2 BETTER

BLOODY HELL!!

YET JEM'S THE GR8 4EVER!! I MEAN...HE SHUD HAVE BEEN N I WUD HAVE RATED
Louise
Jul 19, 2011 Louise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: eveyone who loves mysterys
Shelves: favorites
it was am amazing book. The eneding was not what I was expecting i was expecting something completly different
Aug 22, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
A quick read but still enjoyable. Fast paced and intense. 4/5
Ren nerdychampagne
Mar 16, 2015 Ren nerdychampagne rated it did not like it
I. Just. Can't.

The first word I said after I finished this book: CHEAP.
The next few phrases: This is trash. What the fuck is this?

I don't know, men, I don't know.
I. Just. Can't.

This book is twisted in so many wrong levels. I can't even.

It's not even about the plot. Or is it? Maybe. It is probably about the plot.

I just can't. The characters are ssssooooo stupid. As in I want to hit these characters by their own book kind of stupid.

I didn't like the style of writing. I didn't like everybody's
Charlie' (Ohana means family)
Apr 21, 2014 Charlie' (Ohana means family) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Charlie' (Ohana means family) by: Library
Contains spoilers..

I just.. I- I don't know what to say about this book. I had a brief idea about what this book would be about from the blurb.

Although I was right, I was also very wrong. Anna is in college and doing really well. She loves studying and cannot wait to go to university. She has had her heart set on Newcastle university to do a English Lit course.

But her life is currently falling apart. He dad has left her mum for another women. Who is half his age, and only about six years older t
Caroline
Jun 26, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me and isn't the sort of thing I would normally read but despite this it really enjoyed it.

The story follows Anna, who is a very likeable and believable character, as she falls in love with a boy called Jem. We see the world from Anna's point of view but with the advantage of being able to step back and see the whole situation clearly.

Anna is at sixth form college, works hard and wants to go to university, then Jem turns up. He encourages Anna to spend all her time
Christie
Sep 16, 2012 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
When smart but plain Anna meets Jem in Chris Higgins’ novel He’s After Me, her life is falling apart. Her parents have recently separated, her mother has retreated from the world and her younger sister, Olivia, is suddenly dressing far too provocatively and hanging out with kids that Anna doesn’t particularly like.

Jem is, well, electrifying. “…his smile faded and our eyes held and that’s when it happened. A charge passed through me like an electric shock.”

The first person narration sweeps the re
Tara Calaby
He's After Me is a quick and easy read, written as it is in an informal style with a lot of short sentences, dialogue and internal monologues. Despite this, it deals with a subject that is far from easy. Anna is involved in an obsessive relationship and Jem is an overly-possessive boyfriend, who isolates her from her friends and former life and instead leads her into a life of lies and crime.

As a commentary upon abusive relationships, the novel works well. Chris Higgins does a good job of captur
Kiana
Nov 02, 2013 Kiana rated it really liked it
What can I say? I finished this book in a matter of a day, which is quite an achievement for me! I think what kept me reading was me knowing that something bad was going to occur, even though it came later in the book, it was just waiting to happen. Without spoiling the story, it's a scary tale of boy meets girl, or boy stalks and manipulates girl to be exact. Chris Higgins manages to capture the character of Anna perfectly, a clever and bright girl who happens to be completely and utterly naive ...more
Iolanda
Sep 09, 2013 Iolanda rated it did not like it
I TRIED ALRIGHT? I thought this would be an amazing read, like something totally different but the writing was atrocious!

Don't get me wrong; I am a huge fan of Chris Higgins and her earlier books from a few years ago were much more interesting and she writes contemporary which is my favourite genre, as long as it has a slight twist.

I couldn't get into this book at all. The writing was so unlike Chris Higgins and there was a swear word every few pages, the block between each chapter with a chees
Apple12350
Nov 23, 2015 Apple12350 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
It's alright, it's the opposite to most romance books where it's all happy endings, especially the fact that it's the main female character's little sister that died and not the main character so that was something good, something different. I didn't like the beginning that much, I felt like everything was moving way too fast but then after the part where Anna joins Jem in graffiti, I found it much more interesting and fun to read. It was also quite cute, the two couples going out and graffiti t ...more
Simran
Mar 11, 2016 Simran rated it did not like it
I read this, expecting something totally different. Like mystery, but instead the main character falls in love with a guy that thinks whoever dates him, is his property. He gets obsessed. I just feel like this was sooo creepy for me. I don't know, it's so realistic about mental illness. >Pretty sure that's what the guy had<
Jem 2 8 May 23, 2013 11:38AM
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • Melody Burning
  • By Any Other Name
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Destroying Avalon
  • In My Father's Den
  • You Don't Even Know
  • Blood on My Hands (Thrillogy, #2)
  • The Right Song
  • The Convent
  • Vicious Little Darlings
  • Sister, Missing (Girl, Missing, #2)
  • And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • The Imaginary World of...
  • Defector (Variants, #2)
  • In the Bad Boy's Bed