He's After Me

He's After Me

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Anna's bruised and upset by the collapse of her parents' marriage. So much of the fallout - including responsibility for her wayward younger sister - seems to be heading in her direction. All she wants is to get the exam results she needs to get herself to university - and away from this mess. She certainly wants nothing to do with boys - until Jem appears. Gradually he wi...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about He's After Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He's After Me

Lina
I think we have all, to some degree, seen someone in Anna's position and feel completely powerless to stop it. A friend of yours meets this seemingly amazing person and they become completely-bat-shit, stupid. They are so convinced that this person is the one that they can't even see the obvious thing in front of them. If you bring it up...why you're just jealous of their relationship aren't you?

This book is that. Except it's not your friend, but probably someone you talk to from time to time ev...more
Shauna Tyndall
Daph (Loving Books)
4.5 stars. What a sad story.

It had me hooked from the first pages.

----------------

Anna's life is a mess after her parents split and when she meets Jem, he seems to be her answer to be happy again. They get in a relationship really quickly, and everything seems to be going great. Until cracks appear and the whole facade falls down..

This story shows how relationships can go wrong. The book is written from Anna's point of view, but also shows glimpses of someone with dark thoughts every other cha...more
Angel
I Loved This Book From The Start! After I finished reading ' He's after me' I was completely numb, it had such a sad ending. I felt Anna's pain from losing her sister and I felt sad that their relationship had to end. Anna was just an average girl who fell in love. She vowed that she was never going to be like her mum, all depressed and heartbroken from love. But well... That turned out well. Personally, I think the romance was great! But I wanted to hear more from Jem, at least we got to read s...more
Abbie
Jul 07, 2011 Abbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12-16
Well today i went to the book launch for this and I received a signed copy for the price of £5.99. I began reading this book at around 3:40 and then stopped at 4:20 for my tea then began again 15 minutes later and finished it by 5:15. It was quite a quick moving story but with a good story line, Chris said herself that she wanted to do a psychological book and that fits this genre perfectly it was amazing.
Liz
"She wanted to..."
"I never meant..."
"It wasn't me..."
"She wanted to!"

Okay...this was a very interesting story. I almost wanted to give it 5 stars for taking a risk. I actually had no idea what this book was about, I just liked the cover. I found the story moved along very well...Anna was a well crafted character that seemed caught up in her situation. I found it believable...we all know how it feels to be madly in love. It's sad where this story leads. Both sad because of what happens to Olivia...more
Hanar
crap.

utter crap. So pointless and badly written.

Anna seems to whine on and on about how her life is terrible because of Jude.. urgh. I got so bored I gave up half way through.

Do not buy it. Waste of time and money.

If you prefer more deep or insightful books, this is definitely a lost cause.

The book is written in a present tense narrative and goes along at such a fast speed that it just seems pathetically stupid and no where near like reality.

Why on earth would someone think just because they...more
Scarlett Morris
I didn't expect brilliance from this book because I had previously red a Chris Higgins book and was not too impressed, but I must admit it was brilliant. The story kept me ripped and I was reading til early ours of the morning because I just couldn't put it down! The plot was deep and heavy going, but I find these the best stories because most real life situations do not have a happy ending, and I feel stories lack a strong ending when all is well. Tears were brought to my eyes at the end, as I...more
I liked He's After Me. I liked the intense storyline and the ending. The ending was unexpected and really good.
Anna was a likeable enough character. She was head over heels for Jem though and this made her beyond stupid, that stupidity got a bit annoying after a while.
I didn't really like Chris Higgins writing. It seemed too rushed. Like the story would have still been fast paced with a different type of writing style.
So I'm giving it a 3 stars because I loved the idea of the story and the st...more
Kristenj2009
Sexy, dark and mysterious, He's After Me did not disappoint.

You can pretty much tell what it's about from just looking at the cover. Dark, mysterious, intense, thriller.

Anna Williams, our protangonist, is an 18/19 year old grade 12 student studying hard to get into the university of her dreams just like anybody else. Then she meets Jem. Gorgeous, mysterious and intense, the connection is instant and Anna is quickly drawn into his much darker world.
And, well, to quote the book, "Not all love stor...more
Maria
A thrilling read from author Chris Higgins!

This story is about Anna. She meets a boy and they fall in love. They have amazing times together and everything is good. Yet beneath all this lies another story full of dark actions and obsessions.

Higgins has successfully captured the world from a young girls point of view. Although it is a quick read, we get to know the character, Anna, and get a feel for what her life is like before and after Jem enters. I like how sinister, mysterious and dark the n...more
Toughnandi
i absolutely loved it.
Chris Higgins has a certain style to her writing that is easily distinguishable.i have read another one of her books 'the day i met suzie' and that was fabulous.
both books have a similar charachteristic , as both of them revolve around how an ordinary person meets someone new in their life . at first ,things go smoothly and then spirals out of control.
in 'He's after me' the book is centred around a girl called Anna who is trying to cope with her life.
Everything was going fi...more
Vickie Ramage
Amazing. I was so busy trying to work out who was the dude in italics that I wasn't expecting the ending. Shocking and I'll be thinking about it all day.
Abigail
i thought it would be another one of those love stories but it was totally different you should definitely read this book it is amazing
Louise
Jul 19, 2011 Louise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: eveyone who loves mysterys
Shelves: favorites
it was am amazing book. The eneding was not what I was expecting i was expecting something completly different
A quick read but still enjoyable. Fast paced and intense. 4/5
Charliee' (Ohana means family)
Contains spoilers..

I just.. I- I don't know what to say about this book. I had a brief idea about what this book would be about from the blurb.

Although I was right, I was also very wrong. Anna is in college and doing really well. She loves studying and cannot wait to go to university. She has had her heart set on Newcastle university to do a English Lit course.

But her life is currently falling apart. He dad has left her mum for another women. Who is half his age, and only about six years older t...more
Caroline
This book was recommended to me and isn't the sort of thing I would normally read but despite this it really enjoyed it.

The story follows Anna, who is a very likeable and believable character, as she falls in love with a boy called Jem. We see the world from Anna's point of view but with the advantage of being able to step back and see the whole situation clearly.

Anna is at sixth form college, works hard and wants to go to university, then Jem turns up. He encourages Anna to spend all her time...more
Christie
Sep 16, 2012 Christie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
When smart but plain Anna meets Jem in Chris Higgins’ novel He’s After Me, her life is falling apart. Her parents have recently separated, her mother has retreated from the world and her younger sister, Olivia, is suddenly dressing far too provocatively and hanging out with kids that Anna doesn’t particularly like.

Jem is, well, electrifying. “…his smile faded and our eyes held and that’s when it happened. A charge passed through me like an electric shock.”

The first person narration sweeps the re...more
Tara Calaby

My full He's After Me review can be found at Agrippina Legit.

He's After Me is a quick and easy read, written as it is in an informal style with a lot of short sentences, dialogue and internal monologues. Despite this, it deals with a subject that is far from easy. Anna is involved in an obsessive relationship and Jem is an overly-possessive boyfriend, who isolates her from her friends and former life and instead leads her into a life of lies and crime.

As a commentary upon abusive relationships,...more
Kiana
What can I say? I finished this book in a matter of a day, which is quite an achievement for me! I think what kept me reading was me knowing that something bad was going to occur, even though it came later in the book, it was just waiting to happen. Without spoiling the story, it's a scary tale of boy meets girl, or boy stalks and manipulates girl to be exact. Chris Higgins manages to capture the character of Anna perfectly, a clever and bright girl who happens to be completely and utterly naive...more
Iolanda
I TRIED ALRIGHT? I thought this would be an amazing read, like something totally different but the writing was atrocious!

Don't get me wrong; I am a huge fan of Chris Higgins and her earlier books from a few years ago were much more interesting and she writes contemporary which is my favourite genre, as long as it has a slight twist.

I couldn't get into this book at all. The writing was so unlike Chris Higgins and there was a swear word every few pages, the block between each chapter with a chees...more
Kate Robinson
Awesome book, there weren't many characters but the main two had different personalities and had me hooked from the start. There were small inserts of a characters voice which happened after every chapter or so, which gave the novel some suspense, as I hadn't read the book 'it's a 50/50 thing' (which could be view as the first book, but you don't need to read it first, I didn't, but I would probably recommend doing so as you can enjoy the charters for longer) I wasn't aware of who was the other...more
Emma-Louise Turnbull
It's not really my usual type of book I like reading but seeing as i'm branching away from my usual this was a great first read :) I loved it! It leaves you wondering all the way through!

I can really relate to Anna on the fact that her family fell apart :/ my Dad did the exact same thing as hers and everyone is still having a hard time about it. I also wanted to shout at Anna though for some of her stupid reactions -_- but I know some girls are actually like that. I don't really want to give to...more
Mia
An ace love story, its thrilling, I was pulled into the story as soon as I started reading. the ending is a bit sad, I nearly cried when I read the ending.
HG
An easy and fast read. Very similar to JC Burke's "Pretty Girl" which I loved. Recommending it to my students.
Sumayyah
what a good book really sad! its about a girl who find jem and they have a fast relationship. but when her dad and Jude go to new York they borrow the flat without permission. however when her dad investigates that some money and belonging are missing they realize the truth. because anna is not sticking up for jem he decides to do graffiti on their front door and write inappropriate messages on the school's building. however jem was using anna! he had a secret! he knew jude and jude knew him ......more
Victoria Scott
I was so excited when I stumbled on this. I loved Jem from "It's a 50/50 Thing", and now there's more of him!
As usual, Chris Higgins wrote brilliantly. It takes an amazing amount of talent to make someone fall in love with someone as creepy as Jem. But he's just so sweet, despite his major flaws. My only problem was there was hardly any suspense. It was pretty clear what was happening the entire way through, with no teaser type things for what would happen next. The end with Livi was perfect, d...more
Michaela
  • By Any Other Name
  • Memory - Stadt der Träume
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Melody Burning
  • Kill You Last (Thrillogy, #3)
  • Sister, Missing (Girl, Missing, #2)
  • The Convent
  • Just Jealous
  • Angel Kiss
  • Poison Most Vial
  • Fairytales for Wilde Girls
  • Breaking Lauren (Lauren, #1)
  • What I've Done
32c That's Me It's A 50/50 Thing Pride And Penalties Would You Rather? The Day I Met Suzie