Start by marking “Templar One (EVE, #2)” as Want to Read:
Templar One (EVE, #2)

Templar One (EVE #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  37 reviews

“There will be neither compassion nor mercy;
Nor peace, nor solace
For those who bear witness to these Signs
And still do not believe."

Book of Reclaiming 25:10

New Eden: the celestial battleground of a catastrophic war that has claimed countless lives.

The immortal starship captains spearheading this epic conflict continue their unstoppable dominance, shaping the universe

Published January 3rd 2012 by Tor Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Templar One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Templar One

Chris Smith
It's kind of hard to picture EVE The Game meshing with EVE The Novels, since The Game is known for the "bad behavior" of it's players, while The Novels feature characters who are respectful, even in war. But that's what I enjoy so much about these books: they breath life into a world known only for it's controversies.

I didn't know at first that this was a continuation of The Empyrean Age, because it's been so long since I read that one that I didn't recognize the characters. Like TEA, Templar O
Betty
Rick
This is not merely a book based on a video game, it is a fictional work that elevates itself and it's subject matter, Eve Online, to an accessible and thrilling form of art. You do not need to play the game to enjoy the book, but doing so has an element of enrichment to it. Likewise, you don't have to read this book if you play the game, but again, the experience will add depth to your online exploits.

Although independent of each other, I highly suggest reading the first novel, The Empyrean Age
Goran Zidar
This is the second EVE releated book I have read by the same author, the first being “The Empyrean Age”, and I will start by saying I preferred this one to the other one. That said it took a while for the actual story to start and for the action to appear like it was heading in a consistent direction.

The opening 20 chapters were spent in outlining back story and introducing characters and I found myself wondering if there was any real plot behind all these scenes. Don’t get me wrong, I found the
Aimeekay
The empires of the Eve universe are at war. Whether it is a direct and obvious shoot-on-site, or a more subversive one that uses treaties and negotiations to hide their true agendas. They are all competing to see who will rule New Eden.
The starship captains who are "immortal" already take deadly amounts of lives. Why should they shy from battle, when death means nothing to them? In an instant they are in a clone body, memories intact ready to go to war for their respective home worlds once again
Kai
Eve: Templar One is a lot to follow especially if you don't know the story of the game. I'm not much of a gamester. My brother usually updates me about the most popular games

Anyway, the story is a bit confusing at first. I really didn't understand how each characters in the story has to do with each other. I didn't even know why and what they were fighting for until I got close to the middle of the book when everything clicked together. Is the book worth reading? I say yeah but please read the
Mark Notley
I don’t read in-universe fiction, but for some reason, EVE has always had a special place in my heart. I agree with the others that one needs to have knowledge of the EVE universe to understand this book. Tony Gonzales works for CCP, EVE’s developers, and he doesn’t go into depth about the factions. This is a standalone novel set after The Empyrean Age, and involves the Amarr Empire acquiring technology to make immortal soldiers (just as CCP’s new game DUST 514 came out). Other plotlines include ...more
Seth Brown
I should preface this review by saying I'm an avid EVE Online player and looking forward to the DUST 514 PlayStation 3 game that this book is based on. This book was obviously aimed at people like me, people who have extensive knowledge of the game outside of the books, but Tony Gonzales, once again, delivers a very good sci-fi novel; not as excellent as The Empyrean Age, but still, a solid hit.

Templar One is a direct sequel to The Empyrean age, bringing back some recurring characters. Like any
Fred Hughes
If you like your space operas large and bold;

If you like despicable characters that grow on you;

If you want multiple fleets trying to kill each other in space and on planets;

If you like technologically enhanced beings almost unrecognizable as a human;

If you like a secret group doing oversight on all the characters and controlling what they do behind the scenes you WILL LOVE THIS BOOK.

Part of the EVE series this book stands on it’s own for plot and character development. No need to read previo
Bernard Campbell
I played Eve Online for maybe a week sometime ago. I'm Don't in anyway know the game very well. Time and other events prevented me from playing even though my mates do (did?).
But I do like a good space opera and this book appeals to my Science Fiction tastes. Very early in at this stage so no real opinion although it seems I've jumped in the second book - mention in the book of a prequel or otherwise, will see how it goes and if I need to get the other book or just jump in.
Conclusion
This was a
Jason Lewis
A very tough read at first especially since I did not read any of the previous books before this one. Had to go through reviews and discussions on the other two books just to get an understanding of what I had read at the beginning. Everything finally feels like it is coming together about midway through the book and with my stop/go reading, again you have to review to keep up.
My recommendation is that the reader read the previous ones before reading this one, and with the different stories, cha
Damian
I noticed from some of the other reviews that this is based on the MMP online game of the same name. I also saw several things that said Eve #2. These facts might have explained my initial confusion and difficulty in getting into the book. I'm also not a huge fan books with multiple chapters that say "23 years ago" and then the next chapter is "present". Either give us some back story in a coherent manner or don't but don't try to squeeze it in where you can. The technology was interesting but n ...more
Montecore
As an EVE player, I loved this book.
Grant Kisling
I enjoyed this book, but I would only recommend it for people familiar with the EVE universe. There are far to many events and items that would need additional explanation for the readers not familiar with the EVE universe.

The author does a great job of using the EVE world to create a complex, and engaging story. I feel like he tries to hard at times to push the complexity of the story and needed to spend more time creating action.
Paul Blankenship
Jul 04, 2012 Paul Blankenship rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eve Online players
Templar One continues the story started in Empyrean Age. Eve Online players and military sic-fi aficionados will likely enjoy this book; others may find it difficult to follow. The short chapters lend themselves to reading in the pauses of one's day but I found the story interesting enjoy to read the book in a few sessions.

I hope that Mr. Gonzales will continue the series and consider prequels that expand the lore behind the game.
Lexie
I recieved this book as a part of the Goodreads first reads book giveaway.

This book is set in the Eve universe, which is a MMORPG. I don't play the game myself, but my man does. It was enjoyable, and didn't require me knowing anything about the game. It was full of action. The plot was very well written and exucuted. A page turner worth reading, especially if you are a fan of science fiction.
Lisa
More great storytelling from Tony Gonzales. You don't have to be an EVE player to enjoy his stories. I enjoy how he blends our modern day issues with the sci fi world of EVE. You have to think, "Even in our far, far away future we're going to be dealing with this stuff (bigotry, religious zealots, money-grubbing, heartlessness)? Please say it ain't so!" But yeah, we probably will. Great read
Andrey
This book is great as a stand-alone, but even better as a sequel.

But I had some problems with it:
Where was Tea?
What happened that changed each character so much? Specifically, Jonas?

The book itself was great, yes, but there were some minor holes and hollows that really should have been filled.

Bravo Tony! I hope you can keep writing even if you aren't with CCP any longer.
Kevin
This is the backstory to a videogame tied into the EVE Online universe and set to be released Summer 2012. This book is pretty decent for science fiction, though it would have helped to be familiar with the EVE universe on which this book is based. There are many factions, names, worlds and universes to keep track of and it feels like you're kind of dumped into this complex world.
Rose
I wasn't a massive fan at the very begining of the book, but I have since changed my tune - by the end I was very much into the characters an the plot. I think it was because at the beginning it was hard to remember who was who, and who was allied with you, and what happened when, and what was happening where. Once I finally sort of got my head round that, the book was very enjoyable!
Brian
This was ok, I would have given 2.5 stars if I could but I just didn't feel it deserved 3 or more. I read this on a holiday, and felt that it was trying too hard, it felt like there were about 4 different storylines that didn't coalesce enjoyably. I wouldn't recommend it (there is plenty of better sci-fi out there), but maybe if you're into the EVE universe it would float your boat?
James Elkins
Long story short, this book was unable to hold my attention. I'm sure that for the average EVE player this was a great book. For me, not so much.

Additionally, I think I prefer my sci-fi a little more bright an shiny. I had a hard time with the single Warhammer 40000 title I have read, too dark. Like Alien or Blade Runner on PCP. Dark and not fun.
Night
Fans of the game (internet spaceships) may be disappointed as this is a character focused book. But I think it helps for the reader to have a context if they know a bit about the game. Overall a quick enjoyable read that is set up for another sequel.
Justin Cunningham
It is difficult to really review books based on MMO's, and I have never read such books before even though I have played quite a few. However, this one wasn't bad and I would recommend it for those who wish to learn a little more about the Eve Universe.
Joe Pranaitis
I won this book from goodreads first reads and have enjoyed the whole story, I liked how military and political stratigies where used along with the concept of immortal shoulders. This will defiltelly be one that I will read again.
Sean Mumford
Although I'm not sure how much appeal there would be to anyone not interested in the EVE Online universe, I quite enjoyed it, especially the more hard sci-fi aspects of planetary bombardment.
Msn83
Didn't got the chance to read the 1st book but enjoyed this book still.

I'm played EVE before and love how recognizable places, name and stuff from the game come through life in this book.

Josh Perry
Tony has definitely found his voice in the universe of Eve. I found the book well written, the story arc engaging and I am certainly looking forward to the next book.
Kelly
Got better towards the end but the beginning was too choppy. Not a totally bad story but had make myself finish it.
Abc
It was a good book, worth reading. Good sci-fi story. I was a little lost at first though.
  • EVE: The Burning Life
  • Up Jim River (January Dancer, #2)
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Conventions of War (Dread Empire's Fall, #3)
  • Halo: Mortal Dictata
  • The Unremembered Empire
  • Vulkan Lives
  • The Naked God 1: Flight (Night's Dawn 3)
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • Angel of Fire (The Macharian Crusade #1)
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • Hammer and Anvil
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Biofab War (Biofab War, #1)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Deliverance Lost

EVE (2 books)
  • EVE: The Empyrean Age
EVE: The Empyrean Age Eve: Templar One Proper Balance Movement: A Diary of Lameness Eve: Templer Eins (German Edition) The Tabit Genesis