Start by marking “Templar One (EVE, #2)” as Want to Read:
Templar One (EVE, #2)

Templar One (EVE #2)

“There will be neither compassion nor mercy;
Nor peace, nor solace
For those who bear witness to these Signs
And still do not believe."

Book of Reclaiming 25:10

New Eden: the celestial battleground of a catastrophic war that has claimed countless lives.

The immortal starship captains spearheading this epic conflict continue their unstoppable dominance, shaping the universe

Published January 3rd 2012 by Tor Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Templar One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Templar One

Wendy
My husband tried for a time to convince me to play EVE, the futuristic massive multiplayer online game about corporate space intrigue, piracy and politics. I couldn’t get beyond the whole “spreadsheets in space” concept of the game. When the company released Dust 514, the console version, we briefly considered having me serve as his ground forces, but ultimately, his interest in EVE crashed and burned and mine failed to launch in the first place.

Still, his talk about the game itself did intrigue
Chris Smith
May 27, 2012 Chris Smith rated it it was amazing
It's kind of hard to picture EVE The Game meshing with EVE The Novels, since The Game is known for the "bad behavior" of it's players, while The Novels feature characters who are respectful, even in war. But that's what I enjoy so much about these books: they breath life into a world known only for it's controversies.

I didn't know at first that this was a continuation of The Empyrean Age, because it's been so long since I read that one that I didn't recognize the characters. Like TEA, Templar O
Betty
Mar 08, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
Aimeekay
Nov 15, 2011 Aimeekay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
The empires of the Eve universe are at war. Whether it is a direct and obvious shoot-on-site, or a more subversive one that uses treaties and negotiations to hide their true agendas. They are all competing to see who will rule New Eden.
The starship captains who are "immortal" already take deadly amounts of lives. Why should they shy from battle, when death means nothing to them? In an instant they are in a clone body, memories intact ready to go to war for their respective home worlds once again
Fred Hughes
Feb 28, 2012 Fred Hughes rated it it was amazing
If you like your space operas large and bold;

If you like despicable characters that grow on you;

If you want multiple fleets trying to kill each other in space and on planets;

If you like technologically enhanced beings almost unrecognizable as a human;

If you like a secret group doing oversight on all the characters and controlling what they do behind the scenes you WILL LOVE THIS BOOK.

Part of the EVE series this book stands on it’s own for plot and character development. No need to read previo
Goran Zidar
Mar 19, 2012 Goran Zidar rated it liked it
This is the second EVE releated book I have read by the same author, the first being “The Empyrean Age”, and I will start by saying I preferred this one to the other one. That said it took a while for the actual story to start and for the action to appear like it was heading in a consistent direction.

The opening 20 chapters were spent in outlining back story and introducing characters and I found myself wondering if there was any real plot behind all these scenes. Don’t get me wrong, I found the
Mark Notley
Dec 10, 2013 Mark Notley rated it liked it
I don’t read in-universe fiction, but for some reason, EVE has always had a special place in my heart. I agree with the others that one needs to have knowledge of the EVE universe to understand this book. Tony Gonzales works for CCP, EVE’s developers, and he doesn’t go into depth about the factions. This is a standalone novel set after The Empyrean Age, and involves the Amarr Empire acquiring technology to make immortal soldiers (just as CCP’s new game DUST 514 came out). Other plotlines include ...more
Seth Brown
Mar 14, 2013 Seth Brown rated it really liked it
I should preface this review by saying I'm an avid EVE Online player and looking forward to the DUST 514 PlayStation 3 game that this book is based on. This book was obviously aimed at people like me, people who have extensive knowledge of the game outside of the books, but Tony Gonzales, once again, delivers a very good sci-fi novel; not as excellent as The Empyrean Age, but still, a solid hit.

Templar One is a direct sequel to The Empyrean age, bringing back some recurring characters. Like any
Kai
Nov 09, 2011 Kai rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Eve: Templar One is a lot to follow especially if you don't know the story of the game. I'm not much of a gamester. My brother usually updates me about the most popular games

Anyway, the story is a bit confusing at first. I really didn't understand how each characters in the story has to do with each other. I didn't even know why and what they were fighting for until I got close to the middle of the book when everything clicked together. Is the book worth reading? I say yeah but please read the
Rick
May 13, 2014 Rick rated it it was amazing
This is not merely a book based on a video game, it is a fictional work that elevates itself and it's subject matter, Eve Online, to an accessible and thrilling form of art. You do not need to play the game to enjoy the book, but doing so has an element of enrichment to it. Likewise, you don't have to read this book if you play the game, but again, the experience will add depth to your online exploits.

Although independent of each other, I highly suggest reading the first novel, The Empyrean Age
Bernard Campbell
I played Eve Online for maybe a week sometime ago. I'm Don't in anyway know the game very well. Time and other events prevented me from playing even though my mates do (did?).
But I do like a good space opera and this book appeals to my Science Fiction tastes. Very early in at this stage so no real opinion although it seems I've jumped in the second book - mention in the book of a prequel or otherwise, will see how it goes and if I need to get the other book or just jump in.
Conclusion
This was a
Jason Lewis
Mar 17, 2012 Jason Lewis rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
A very tough read at first especially since I did not read any of the previous books before this one. Had to go through reviews and discussions on the other two books just to get an understanding of what I had read at the beginning. Everything finally feels like it is coming together about midway through the book and with my stop/go reading, again you have to review to keep up.
My recommendation is that the reader read the previous ones before reading this one, and with the different stories, cha
Jakub
Jul 06, 2015 Jakub rated it liked it
tl;dr: Worse than EVE: The Empyrean Age, but still worth reading if you play Eve Online

First part of the book was rather rough - up to a point where I've considered dropping it alltogether. The presented scenes looked like drafts for short game trailers. I've sticked with the book, and it did get better around part two. The story itself is interesting, although the characters got much flatter (IMO). If you're Eve Online player, you'll find some explanations about the Sleepers and Jove - and for
Matthew Lane
Apr 04, 2015 Matthew Lane rated it really liked it
Read Theodicy (novella) then Empyrean Age and Templar one.

A good bit of bias from me because of my interest in the game. Recent in game events got me interested in learning more about the universe and I'm glad I did. Plot is driven by very interesting characters and a very unique universe. Frequently caught myself thinking "Oh, I've been there!" and thinking about all the time I've spent in the game. It's chock full of actual things, places, technologies & etc.

I have no idea how enjoyable
Damian
Mar 28, 2012 Damian rated it it was ok
I noticed from some of the other reviews that this is based on the MMP online game of the same name. I also saw several things that said Eve #2. These facts might have explained my initial confusion and difficulty in getting into the book. I'm also not a huge fan books with multiple chapters that say "23 years ago" and then the next chapter is "present". Either give us some back story in a coherent manner or don't but don't try to squeeze it in where you can. The technology was interesting but n ...more
Joyce
Dec 28, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the story was so crammed with characters that I found it difficult to sort out who was who and their alliances. Along with the Tarantinoesque style of jumping back and forth in time to provide character history or story background, it took nearly half way through to finally sort things out but once that was done I really enjoyed the story. Although the story did end rather abruptly it did leave the impression of a continuation in the works.
Paul Blankenship
Jul 04, 2012 Paul Blankenship rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Eve Online players
Templar One continues the story started in Empyrean Age. Eve Online players and military sic-fi aficionados will likely enjoy this book; others may find it difficult to follow. The short chapters lend themselves to reading in the pauses of one's day but I found the story interesting enjoy to read the book in a few sessions.

I hope that Mr. Gonzales will continue the series and consider prequels that expand the lore behind the game.
Lexie
Mar 05, 2012 Lexie rated it liked it
I recieved this book as a part of the Goodreads first reads book giveaway.

This book is set in the Eve universe, which is a MMORPG. I don't play the game myself, but my man does. It was enjoyable, and didn't require me knowing anything about the game. It was full of action. The plot was very well written and exucuted. A page turner worth reading, especially if you are a fan of science fiction.
Grant Kisling
Mar 20, 2013 Grant Kisling rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, kindle
I enjoyed this book, but I would only recommend it for people familiar with the EVE universe. There are far to many events and items that would need additional explanation for the readers not familiar with the EVE universe.

The author does a great job of using the EVE world to create a complex, and engaging story. I feel like he tries to hard at times to push the complexity of the story and needed to spend more time creating action.
Kevin
Feb 26, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
This is the backstory to a videogame tied into the EVE Online universe and set to be released Summer 2012. This book is pretty decent for science fiction, though it would have helped to be familiar with the EVE universe on which this book is based. There are many factions, names, worlds and universes to keep track of and it feels like you're kind of dumped into this complex world.
James Elkins
Oct 25, 2011 James Elkins rated it did not like it
Long story short, this book was unable to hold my attention. I'm sure that for the average EVE player this was a great book. For me, not so much.

Additionally, I think I prefer my sci-fi a little more bright an shiny. I had a hard time with the single Warhammer 40000 title I have read, too dark. Like Alien or Blade Runner on PCP. Dark and not fun.
Brian
Sep 17, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
This was ok, I would have given 2.5 stars if I could but I just didn't feel it deserved 3 or more. I read this on a holiday, and felt that it was trying too hard, it felt like there were about 4 different storylines that didn't coalesce enjoyably. I wouldn't recommend it (there is plenty of better sci-fi out there), but maybe if you're into the EVE universe it would float your boat?
Rose
Dec 27, 2012 Rose rated it really liked it
I wasn't a massive fan at the very begining of the book, but I have since changed my tune - by the end I was very much into the characters an the plot. I think it was because at the beginning it was hard to remember who was who, and who was allied with you, and what happened when, and what was happening where. Once I finally sort of got my head round that, the book was very enjoyable!
Lisa
Apr 17, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
More great storytelling from Tony Gonzales. You don't have to be an EVE player to enjoy his stories. I enjoy how he blends our modern day issues with the sci fi world of EVE. You have to think, "Even in our far, far away future we're going to be dealing with this stuff (bigotry, religious zealots, money-grubbing, heartlessness)? Please say it ain't so!" But yeah, we probably will. Great read
Andrey
This book is great as a stand-alone, but even better as a sequel.

But I had some problems with it:
Where was Tea?
What happened that changed each character so much? Specifically, Jonas?

The book itself was great, yes, but there were some minor holes and hollows that really should have been filled.

Bravo Tony! I hope you can keep writing even if you aren't with CCP any longer.
Night
Jan 18, 2012 Night rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Fans of the game (internet spaceships) may be disappointed as this is a character focused book. But I think it helps for the reader to have a context if they know a bit about the game. Overall a quick enjoyable read that is set up for another sequel.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gotta hand it to the author, he manages to take a video game universe and make it into a convincing and fairly interesting story. The authors idea of how to create 'immortal' soldiers is kind of cool, as is the relevant discussion as to how that would change warfare. I genuinely enjoyed this.
Joe Pranaitis
Feb 24, 2012 Joe Pranaitis rated it really liked it
I won this book from goodreads first reads and have enjoyed the whole story, I liked how military and political stratigies where used along with the concept of immortal shoulders. This will defiltelly be one that I will read again.
Justin Cunningham
Feb 07, 2013 Justin Cunningham rated it really liked it
It is difficult to really review books based on MMO's, and I have never read such books before even though I have played quite a few. However, this one wasn't bad and I would recommend it for those who wish to learn a little more about the Eve Universe.
Toms
May 01, 2013 Toms rated it really liked it
As with Empyrean Age, enjoyable read but absolutely requires additional knowledge of the universe.
  • EVE: The Burning Life (EVE Series)
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Up Jim River
  • Scars
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • Conventions of War (Dread Empire's Fall #3)
  • Vulkan Lives
  • The Unremembered Empire
  • Hammer and Anvil
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • Fist of Demetrius (The Macharian Crusade #2)
  • Through the Darkness (Darkness, #3)
  • The Sundering
  • The Rise of Nagash
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Halo: Mortal Dictata