Start by marking “The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms” as Want to Read:
The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For the Handbook, 19 teaching poets have written 76 entries on traditional and modern poetic forms. The Handbook succinctly defines the forms, summarizes their histories, quotes good examples (ancient and modern, by adult and young writers), and offers professional tricks of the trade on how to use each form.New to this edition of the Handbook are: two new entries for poet ...more
Published August 17th 2000 by Teachers & Writers Collaborative (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

Alarie
I own at least one book of poetic forms and have used several. I've also looked up individual forms online. This handbook edited by Ron Padgett is the best I've seen. I understand there can be problems getting permissions to reprint poems. This publisher worked that out. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a dry description of a form and list of rhyme schemes (abba cddc...) with no example to make it come alive.
Padgett's book is better for other reasons, too, not the least of which is
Julie
Dec 06, 2009 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone and anyone poet or not
Shelves: poetry
This is a wonderful book. It has sections on poetry forms in general as well as chapters on specific types of poems; Bouts-Rimes, Tercets, Sestinas, etc...

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in poetry - for both aspiring poets and all those who just like to read poetry. Everyone who appreciates poetry can learn things from this book
Anselm
Good to teach from - though it helps to just give the kids a loose choice of what to use (or it helps me, I mean). Beware, though, when someone is giving a reading and suddenly whips out all the poems they claim to have written while reading the handbook of forms. Ack.
Dana
Good resource for form. I don't have many to compare it to, but this one's to the point, alphabetized by type and cross-referenced with other forms that are similar, and occasionally provides one or more examples.
Ashley
Very comprehensive! I use this as a teaching tool and as a inspiration tool - when I'm feeling blocked, I open to a page and try to write whatever form I've just leanred about. Poetic calisthenics.
Rude E
Nov 21, 2007 Rude E rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
A wonderful look at poetical forms written by a prime poet of various form himself..great for teachers and students of the craft.
Excellent resource for any poets out there. I always come back to this book when I'm in the mood for some poetry.
John
My go-to source for many poetry lessons. Makes poetry fun for kids while offering a high level of challenge.
Mara
I often use this book as a resource when I teach my creative writing class.
Maureen
Great reference book recommended by my first poetry teacher.
Candace
A handy dictionary of poetic forms complete with examples.
Jimmy
Excellent collection especially for teachers of writing.
Holly
A great tool for the poet's toolbox.
Ryan M
Ryan M marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Seeta
Seeta added it
Jan 03, 2015
Marrianne
Marrianne marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • The Art of the Poetic Line
  • The Poet's Companion: A Guide to the Pleasures of Writing Poetry
  • Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words
  • The Art of Description: World into Word
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Next Life
  • Writing Poems
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Rhyme's Reason: A Guide to English Verse
  • The Collected Poems
  • Real Sofistikashun: Essays on Poetry and Craft
How to Be Perfect You Never Know Great Balls of Fire Joe: A Memoir of Joe Brainard How Long