Start by marking “Redwall” as Want to Read:
Redwall

Brian Jacques

Redwall (Redwall #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  73,106 Ratings  ·  2,540 Reviews
In the glorious tradition of Watership Down comes a powerful tale of fantasy, courage, and epic adventure—the heart-soaring story of a wondrous quest to recover a legendary lost weapon…and of a bumbling young apprentice monk named Matthias, mouse-kind's most unlikely hero.

War erupts in the Summer of the Late Rose, shattering the peace that had reigned in Mossflower since t
Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Redwall, please sign up.

Liam ~I can't save you, my Atlantis, we fall~ I would recommend this order:

1. Redwall
2. Mossflower
3. Martin the Warrior
4. Mattimeo
5. The Legend of Luke
6. Lord Brocktree

And from there you should…more
I would recommend this order:

1. Redwall
2. Mossflower
3. Martin the Warrior
4. Mattimeo
5. The Legend of Luke
6. Lord Brocktree

And from there you should read in chronological order. Not the publishing order, that's for sure.(less)

Erin
Aug 10, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you know what was the best part of these books? and i say books as in plural because there were so fucking many of them i can't sit still long enough to check them all off. and i DID read every single one. what else was there to do in middle school?

anyway, the best part of these books was brian's description of food. it was magnificent. it didn't just make you hungry, it made you crave weird ass things that nobody would ever dream about eating in middle school. nutted cheeses and flan bread and
Stephen
Photobucket

2.0 stars. Now I admit upfront that YA fantasy is somewhat starting to lose its appeal to me, making me a harsher critic of what I think are weak efforts. At the same time, I still really enjoy the compelling, higher end stuff. Unfortunately, THIS A'INT IT!! YA is one thing, but I found this to be the “Y” est of YA fantasy books that I have read in quite a while. It was just too young.

Despite the fact that the book is fairly well written and decently paced, I found the plot itself to just be c
Caris
Dec 29, 2012 Caris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a mouse problem.

Last week, when my family returned from vacation, we started hearing a strange scratching noise underneath our bathtub. It didn’t happen very often and I dismissed it offhand, reasoning that whatever was under my bathtub was outside of the house and, therefore, not an issue I had to deal with. Within a couple of days of that, though, it became evident that the problem had spread from the underside of the bathtub to the kitchen, where the disgusting evidence of mice forced
Annette
May 29, 2011 Annette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't remember when I've been so disappointed by a book that came so highly recommended and clearly has such a strong following. Seriously: I love a good yarn about talking animals as much as the next person, but I do expect some basic level of believability, maybe a good character or two... a plot...
One of the things that especially niggled at me was that I couldn't figure out the *scale* of the Redwall world. Are they mice and rats living clandestine in a human-built world? If so, where are t
Ryan
Apr 22, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now, for those of you who read this book and liked it, I have absolutely no problem with that. I actually thought it was an okay book myself. A heroic mouse by the name of Matthias lives peacefully in Redwall, an enclosed city within a fortress. The residents include mice, squirrels, badgers, otters, and all sorts of other small animals. However, an army of rats attack in envy of stealing the fortress. Matthias must become a warrior and obtain a sword to fight back at the army. Now, at this poin ...more
Zeke Gill
Jun 03, 2013 Zeke Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty much the book that got me hooked on reading because I used to hate it. I know, I know, Hate reading? how is that possible? The truth is, When you're eight or nine reading doesn't normally sound as good as watching a cartoon. But one glorious day I somehow stumbled across a cartoon of Redwall, and I LOVED it! I liked it so much that when the cartoon was over I had to know more about this amazing world, but I didn't have a way of watching the other movies so I was forced to do some ...more
Ann
Jan 01, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of animal characters, fantasy adventure, or LOTR
FULL REVIEW
I managed to finish this just in time for count it "as read" in 2007! With (how appropriate) 7 minutes to spare lol:>
I really enjoyed this book!!:D I was amazed at how vibrant the characters were and how attached to them I felt. Had I known the plot going into the book, I think I would have been very hesitant as the story centers around an attack from Cluny the Scourge (an evil rat) and his horde on the peaceful and caring Abby of Redwall mice and other woodland creatures - for 35
Jesse
Jul 01, 2007 Jesse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like regular mice fighting with little swords
Ok, its regular sized animals living in a human sized world. Where are the humans? Why is there a human sized horse and wagon that the evil rats ride on? These are just some of the questions I pondered as I read through this snooze fest.

This book is quite literally a regular mouse picking up a tiny little sword, and fighting various things(snakes, rats, my will to live!). Now if the image of a little mouse holding a tiny sword doesn't want to make you retch at the absurd "oh how cute" nature of
Amber
Dec 30, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read. When Redwall abbey is under attack by cluny the scourge and his horde of vicious rats, it is up to a young mouse named Mathias and the other woodland creatures to stop them. Will they succeed? Be sure to read this book and find out. I reccomend this book to fans of fantasy and ya books. Definitely check it out.
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up
Recommended to Rebecca by: Chris W.
I read Chris's copy. He brought it to the library and said, "Read the real thing and not that other garbage." I guess that's a step up from "read this or die." I really have readers looking out for me, eh?

It took me a good while to get through this, but I'm glad I did. I've now read a classic and I can agree with Chris that one should read the "real thing" as well as the graphic novel adaptation. What the graphic novel missed in distilling down 300-plus pages was the descriptions: Jacques writes
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It’s the rare book that my sons have recommended to me...the rare book whose author I have actually met and heard speak and adored...the rare book that is on hundreds of Must-Read lists...the rare book that has all these things going for it and yet remains on my TBR heap.

I was finally motivated to pull it out of the pile and give it a thorough read when my 1001 Children’s Books list chose it for a group read in February.

Why, why, why, I thought as I finished the last page, why didn’t I read this
Jonathan
Redwall was a book I read many years ago just before I entered into private schooling after going through six fun years of home schooling. Six years of being at home and getting an education does have the benefit of allowing an avid reader such as myself time to build up the reading speed and vocabulary (I did little else but read books in those formative years in fact but I digress). Now I must admit that I loved Redwall when I first read it as a ten year old. I thought it was the coolest thing ...more
Marya
Jul 01, 2008 Marya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fantasy
A distinctly children's book, with a simplified children's plot, simplified children's characters, and a simplified children's theme. If you focus on the plot and don't think the word "nuance", it can be quite enjoyable.

But alas, I am an adult, and I couldn't help trying to figure out the scale of the book in a literal sense. Are the mice supposed to be mice sized in a largely human world, a la Disney animated movies? Or are they supposed to be human sized in a world without humans a la furries
Brian
I loved the Redwall series when I was young. When we'd go to visit my grandmother's house, I'd head to the library and grab a bit pile of books, and the Redwall books always featured among them. I read quite a few of them--up to Lord Brocktree, I think--before my interest waned, partially because the plots were all kind of blurring together, but also because I just moved on to other things. When my book group picked Redwall as the next book, I was eager to read it again, curious if it would hold ...more
Tim
Jul 18, 2007 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year olds
After I finished this book my overall impression wasn't very good. But in retrospect I think that was mostly due to the fact that it's written for a ten-year-old audience. There's nothing wrong with the book when viewed as a kid's book. The writing is competent, and the story is exciting and interesting enough to keep a ten-year-old engaged. I imagine there are a lot of adults who are fans of this book, just like there are plenty of adult Harry Potter fans (though I didn't enjoy this one as much ...more
Boundless
Jun 18, 2016 Boundless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was suggested to me, so I read it, not knowing what I'd think. I was only twelve or thirteen then. I was a bit intimidated at how long the book was, but once I finished it, I realized I enjoyed it.
Redwall is interesting because while it follows a lot of fantasy tropes, it is still unique and fresh to this day. Rather than a castle, Redwall is an abbey. There are no humans in this world; rather, everyone is an anthropomorphic animal, specifically animals that live in the United Kingdom
Kitvaria
Oct 04, 2015 Kitvaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one is not easy for me to rate. If i could have, I would have gone with 3,5 stars. But since the 0,5 are completely due to my personal preferences I'll go with 4.

First of, I bought this on recommendation, without even a glance at the summary.
I was appropriately surprised when I found out the book was about mice and rats and some other small animals. They are completely humanized though - so it's not an "animal story" but one where humans are completely changed to small creatures. This is my
Madeline
Aug 30, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I got to Book Three in this series when I was in elementary school, and I remember mostly liking these books when I wasn't giggling at the image of mice and chipmunks weilding tiny swords. But in all honesty, I'm only adding this review so I can post this xkcd comic I just stumbled across:

Bookwraiths
Jan 11, 2013 Bookwraiths rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As an adult, I found this book ok; it was the standard fantasy cliches that abound without anything especially new that caught my interest. However, since this was a bedtime story for my kids, I want to add that they enjoyed it more and would probably have said it was at least 3 stars if not 4.
Jason
This book Redwall is about a mouse named Matthias who is living in an abbey named Redwall. Then Cluny the Scourage comes along and ruins the peace as he declares war on the people (animals) of Redwall. Matthias finds himself looking for a sword of the great warrior Martin beliving that he can defeat Cluny and his horde. Matthias goes off with new hopes, finding allies and to save Redwall.

I can connect to text where in the book Comeback of the Home Run Kid by Matt Christopher a book I read a long
Jorge
Feb 09, 2009 Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian Jacques' "Redwall" is one of the best books I have read. Its filled with mystery, adventure, songs, love, death, and the rise of a warior.
Redwall Abbey. The home of a mouse named Matthias and many other unique creatures. A place that was founded by Martin the Warior mouse. For many years, Redwall Abbey has been a place of peace. But that will soon change when a rat with evil intent reaches Mossflower Woods. That rat...is Cluny the Scourge. Cluny, an infamous rat with a whip-like tail, ha
Michael
Oct 26, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my very first childhood reads and I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about this series until I was reminded about it within a Goodreads group (thank you, Goodreads!) I quickly went on to Amazon and bought the novel, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I'm pleased to say it is still one of my favourite books and I'd wished I'd re-read it before embarking on writing my own novels because I think Brian Jacques is a master storyteller. His writing is the perfect blend of humour, grit and
Zoe
Feb 03, 2009 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
My 8 year old daughter loves this series, and in the interest of knowing what she's into (and on her recommendation) I read this. It is very well done, and I can see why Mr. Jacques has become such a phenomenon. The exploits of woodland creatures who live in a medieval abbey and the surrounding woods is of interest to all reading levels - these are great if your kid has finished Harry Potter or Narnia but isn't quite up to reading Tolkien yet.
Mike (the Paladin)
Enjoyable books with animals as medieval type characters in a fantasy world. There isn't any overt fantasy as the world starts out (wizards etc) though some supernatural content is hinted at.

Nice books, found it (some of them) enjoyable. Was torn between 3 and 4 stars. Went with 3 as I never hurried to the later books and my children didn't get into these as they did some others. Maybe if I have grand children I'll reconsider, who knows?
Kiwi
In this first book of the Redwall series, we follow Matthias’ adventure on his quest to find the lost sword of Martin the warrior. He and his friends will need to solve a number of riddles, deal with quarrelsome sparrows, handle a band of shrews and confront a powerful adder. All these feats in order to defend Redwall Abbey against Cluny the scourge army of rats.
A fun read full of brave and cute furry creatures. 3 stars
Joel
Apr 25, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually *better* than I remember it being. It's got content that I would say is more targeted at mid-teens than preteens, which was how I'd remembered it. The writing is great, the story is entertaining, some of the action is ruthless, and the audio was terrific. It's going to be difficult to go back to reading adult things when I want to continue this series on an adult-reread.
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Anthropomorphic woodland creatures in a medieval setting? It must be the Redwall series, where the heroes are endearing everymen and the villains are flamboyant psychopaths! Before Harry Potter apparated onto the book scene, this series dominated my early adolescence.

It is still mind-boggling to me that some studio hasn't decided to do a big-budget, CGI/motion-capture adaptation.
Jeice
Dec 17, 2015 Jeice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This rating is a balance between the middle-school me who initially read and loved this book and the 30-year old who read it and, though still enjoyed it, was much less impressed.

Middle school me: This book rocked! The characters have cool accents, the bad guy has a spike-tail, and there are swords and battles and stuff! Epic! Five stars!

Old man me: What younger me failed to mention was that Jacques also has an engagingly descriptive writing style that manages to be detailed but not tedious.

Mi
leslye
Jun 15, 2016 leslye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a whimsical fantasy for young readers- and the young at heart!

To describe the storyline sounds almost silly. Mice and other woodland creatures living in Redwall Abbey must protect themselves from the evil enemies (usually weasels and ferrets) who want to take their riches. The main character is Matthias, a brave young mouse who finds it his destiny to be a warrior and protect his home.

As I read this delightful tale, I was inspired by the quality of literature used in such a unique way. T
Kimberley doruyter
redwall is kinda like lord of the rings for kids.
absolutely wonderful.
Roleplay Awaits y...: Redwall Abbey 53 32 Jul 16, 2016 04:58PM
IGGPPC Iggle Book...: July 2016 Book of the Month- Redwall 2 16 Jul 04, 2016 01:32PM
What's your favorite book in the Redwall Saga? 44 254 Jun 28, 2016 11:12AM
Around the Year i...: Redwall, by Brian Jacques 2 17 Jan 27, 2016 07:23AM
Best redwall villain 5 10 Dec 14, 2015 07:50AM
What is the best order to read the books in? 7 187 Aug 28, 2015 02:37PM
Old Books, New Re...: Redwall 33 91 Aug 11, 2015 08:29AM
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)
  • The Lost Years (Merlin Saga, #1)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • The Hork-Bajir Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #2)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)

17 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Even the strongest and bravest must sometimes weep. It shows they have a great heart, one that can feel compassion for others.” 2938 likes
“Friar Hugo, old friend, brace yourself. I am the bearer of tragic news!"

Alarm spread across Hugo's pudgy features. "Tell me, Jess. What dreadful thing has happened?"

Jess spoke haltingly in a broken voice. "I fear that Cluny has tore up one of your oldest and most venerable dishrags. Alas, Redwall will never see it wipe another plate.”
64 likes