Start by marking “The Jolly Christmas Postman” as Want to Read:
The Jolly Christmas Postman

The Jolly Christmas Postman (The Jolly Postman)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,607 ratings  ·  84 reviews
The Jolly Postman rides again with more real letters, and present, too, in his Christmas postbag.
Published September 1st 2001 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Jolly Christmas Postman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jolly Christmas Postman

Ian
Ho Ho Hope you all read this book and love it like I do.

Lets get this out of the way first, I LOVE CHRISTMAS. I love everything about it! I love the idea that at Christmas we can forget this busy technology driven world, with it’s fancy electronic mail, and go back to the finer things in life. Like sitting down and writing a letter to far away family, or watching a child’s beaming face as they post that letter to Santa, knowing he will read it and get to work making that toy with his elves.

That’
Helena Spiteri
The Jolly Christmas Postman is an amusing tale that follows the journey of a postman doing the rounds on his bicycle on Christmas Eve. On his back he carries a sack bursting full of letters, cards, and presents that he delivers to all sorts of well-loved characters from different traditional tales and nursery rhymes. Each letter comes in a different size and shape, and can be taken out of its stamp-addressed envelope and read out aloud in class. I had lots of fun with this book, which I used ove ...more
Anna
This book is a follow up book to the Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg.
This is a magical Christmas tale following the journey of the Jolly Postman delivering his letters at Christmas time. The book is written in rhyme and tells you about the people he delivers the letters to, all of whom are fairy tale characters such as little red riding hood and humpty dumpty. This book would be a great follow on to the teaching of traditional tales in Key Stage One as it shows what might have happened
Andy
A classic that I stumbled upon today and snapped up - didn't realise they were still printing these. I loved the original but can't recall ever reading this one. It's a delight, full of inventive wit and style, every nursery rhyme character you can think of in one form or another and illustrated in Janet's always charming style.

I still recall the joy of little hands reaching into the envelopes and exploring the contents and this still excites, especially not knowing what I was going to find. I w
Michelle McBeth
I absolutely love this story about a postman's journey at Christmas time. At each house there is a pocket in the book that looks like an envelope. You can pull out the letter or card. Each Christmas card is creative and quirky. Each stop the postman makes is to a different fairy tale place such as Red Robin's play house or the Four Bear's cottage.

I do not keep this book on the regular shelf as it would be very easy for kids to lose the cards in the pockets. I love pulling this book out at Chris
katie
Is there anything as sweet and lovely as the land of the Jolly Postman? I doubt it. :) I loved the "peeper"!
Kate
The Jolly Postman is on his rounds and it is Christmas Eve so, of course, he has to deliver a large number of letters and parcels to the characters who share his world. Among other things there is a card for Baby Bear from Goldilocks, a board game from the Wolf for Red Riding Hood, and not one, but two, books for The Gingerbread Boy. At each stop the Jolly Postman always takes a little time to talk with, and sometimes snack with, the characters whose homes he visits.

Everywhere he goes the Jolly
Dorothea
The Jolly Postman books are about the letters that come to fairytale characters. The story tells, in verse, how the Postman delivers them, and every other page or so there's an envelope with a letter or some other flat thing the reader can take out and look at.

(It's a lovely idea and I recommend these books to all children who are (1) familiar with the usual set of British nursery stories -- Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc. -- and (2) can open the envelope
Barrett
**Picture Story Book:
Janet Ahlberg's "The Jolly Christmas Postman" is an very heartfelt and warming tale about a postman who delivers mail to our favorite storybook characters. As the story continues, he delivers a Christmas card to the Three Bears, a board game for Little Red Riding Hood, and even a puzzle for Mr. Humpty Dumpty at the hospital. There is a letter the Postman would rather not deliver to Mr. Wolf, but it turns out he is well and merry and means no harm to the Postman. Once the Pos
Riven
Another book from my childhood I managed to dig out is 'The Jolly Christmas Postman'. This wonderful book, the last book Janet and Allan Ahlberg wrote together and the last of three in the Jolly Postman series, tells the story of a postman delivering Christmas cards to a range of fairytale characters.

The story is brilliantly and humorously written poem and offers children excellent insights into various literary skills such as poetry, setting, characterisation and intertextuality. I feel The Jol
Jo-anna
As a child I loved this book and still have my own copy which I'm sure I will have for many years to come.

This story is a story about a postman who rides his bicycle around a town to deliver letters to people just before Christmas. His deliveries are to well know children's characters including, Little Red Riding Hood, Humpty Dumpty and the Gingerbread Boy. Each of the deliveries are something that the reader/audience can read/play with, for example when you look inside Humpty Dumpty's envelope
Donna
As you may (or may not) have noticed, I adore children's stories by Janet and/or Alan Ahlberg. At some point among my parenting of four tiny people, I learned just to head for the "A" section at the public library or book store.

This one is a completely different level than the Baby's Catalog or Peek-a-Boo. It carries with it assumptions about children's knowledge of Christmas. It has a lot more text (mostly in the form of removable letters from one Christmas individual to another). So this isn't
Julia Wickenden
This was the first book that I read from The Jolly Postman series. I really enjoyed the hands-on nature of the book, along with the illustrations. It makes the book seem very inviting and exciting. In some ways it was even more accessible than 'The Jolly Postman', as mail is decreasing in popularity, but Christmas is still a time where post comes streaming through the door. Although the book is several years old, the choice of classic characters for The Jolly Postman to encounter means that it i ...more
Joseph Seo
This was an awesome children's picture book. This book follows a postman through his deliveries and you start to notice some of the different characters. I like how the author decided to add famous children story characters into this book. This book also rhymed! That was pretty cool. This is a good book to read to children, especially around Christmas time. It even has different little things to look at and play with like a board game and letters. It helps the children to be busy. The illustrati ...more
Ashleigh
ifteen years ago, long before anyone else thought of tucking actual letters and notes inside a book, Little, Brown published The Jolly Postman by Allan and Janet Ahlberg. This wonderful book gave children a chance to read letters sent from one fairy tale or Mother Goose character to another. Among the funny notes was one from Jack, who lolled on a sun-drenched island, thanking the Giant for the gold that let him afford such a nifty vacation. All this amusing correspondence was deftly illustrated ...more
Joe Steward
Janet Ahlberg's "The Jolly Christmas Postman" is an very heartfelt and warming tale about a postman who delivers mail to our favorite storybook characters.The story continues from the original 'Jolly Postman', book which I reviewed late last year, he delivers a Christmas card to the Three Bears and other exciting letters to our favorite story book characters, featuring again are the scary Mr Wolf and Red Riding Hood.

Again the genius in this book comes from its classy illustrations and envelopes
Karen
A cute interactive book for Christmas time. Liked how you could pull out the mail from the envelope and actually play a game or put together a puzzle. Some of how the book was worded didn't seem to flow. It would have been nice to either have it all rhyming or not at all. Aside from that, it was a cute addition to a nightly reading at Christmas time.
Muttix Onlymuttix
My oldest (10) said 2 stars, middle (9) says 5 stars, and youngest (6) gave it 5 stars (she wanted to give it six so I'm thinking she super loved it). Since my oldest is 10 and this book is geared for the younger crowd I'm going to go ahead and rate this 5 stars. :)
Tee Jay
Adorable book. It is a great one to read before you sit down with a child to write a letter to Santa. It is a book to bring out during the holiday season and treasure because it is cleverly done. It just personally tickles me.
Jackie
The Jolly Christmas Postman is a holiday picture book with lots of fun, interactive letters to pull out and read along with the story. Colorfully illustrated, this is a classic for the whole family.
Jenilyn Willis
I think this book is a really fun one. It's the story of a mailman on Christmas delivering mail to a bunch of different characters, but all of the characters are from different nursery rhymes; each time he delivers a card, there's a little pocket on that page that has the actual card in it that was supposed to be delivered to that character. I just think it's really cool and would do a great job of engaging children and keeping them interested in the story. I also loved it because both of my par ...more
Rebecca
Especially fun for the under-age-ten crowd, with "envelope" pages (very much like Angelina's Invitation to the Ballet) containing games and surprises.

I think my rating is closer to 3 1/2 stars, but I held back because I'm not so fond of the sing-songy rhyming (although for the target age range, this is appropriate and would work well being read aloud).

This is one to which you (I) don't just allow a child to have free access lest the tokens inside the envelopes end up missing/torn, etc. This goes
Kim
SO much nostalgia here! These books are so much fun. I didn't find this one to be as darling as the original Jolly Postman, but still a delightful holiday book.
Sarah Weekes
I was so incredibly happy when I discovered this book existed. It's a shame I didn't find out until I was well into my teens!
Brittany
My favorite book when I was a kid. Cant wait to share these books with my daughters!
Robin
Fun enclosures, especially the peepshow.
Célèste
This was my favorite Christmas book growing up, and we had a huge stack of them in the Rubbermade container that housed all our decorations and things. I used read it over and over, to play the board game that's in one of the letters, to try to memorize parts of the poem. It kept me occupied for hour every day leading up to Christmas, every Christmas season for year.

I definitely want my kids to have it; I think all kids would love it. The letter and poems and the ways that storybook characters a
Jeani
This would be awesome as an electronic app--the pullouts can get lost but not in an app! such fun to read letters from favorite characters, as well as play games. my child and i enjoyed this for several weeks! she didn't lose interest, it had to be returned to the library.
Pam
This book is amazing. I would recommend buying it for your child(ren) for Christmas, as it has amazing inserts in each "envelope" that the Jolly Christmas Postman delivers - including an actual puzzle and boardgame among other things! My girls love the original book, The Jolly Postman (Thanks to Auntie Jean for giving us our first copy of that one!). This book would make a special gift that you will want to cherish forever. 12/1/13

Still love it, even more this year! :) 12/15/14
Sally
Based on the publisher's description I ordered two copies of The Jolly Christmas Postman to give as Christmas gifts. After reading the book I decided that I had to keep one copy for myself - it's so very clever! Chock-full of surprises that had me shaking my head and laughing with delight (seriously). I've already ordered copies of The Jolly Pocket Postman and The Jolly Postman(Or Other People's Letters) and can't wait to see what surprises are in store!
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Santa Calls
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • Carl's Christmas
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • The Sweet Smell of Christmas
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years
More about Janet Ahlberg...
Each Peach Pear Plum The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters Peek-a-Boo Burglar Bill The Jolly Pocket Postman