Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #27)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  27 reviews

The thirty-two stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our beings, to the realm of the gods, and the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including:

John Barnes, Elizabeth Bear, Damien Broderick, Karl Bunker, Paul Cornell, Albert E. Cowdrey, Ian Creasey

Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Clay Brown

I’ve been reading Gardner Dozois’ Years Best of Science Fiction tomes for a number of years. The truth is I believe I’ve missed the last two years of the series.

Well it appears that a lot can happen in two years. In this 27th Collection I was somewhat surprised by the tone and subject matter of Dozois’ collection.

Lately I’ve been hearing about a ‘sea change’ in science fiction writing. Young writers are coming into the field and they aren’t writing about space or robots as such. In many of the n
Dave
Took me a while to get through this one, but I'm glad I did. It was like reading a science fiction magazine in which almost all of the stories were good!

Here were my favorites:

Vandana Singh: "Infinites"
Peter Watts: "The Island"
Elizabeth Bear & Sarah Monette: "Mongoose"
Albert E. Cowdrey: "Paradiso Lost"
James Van Pelt: "Solace"
Ian McDonald: "Vishnu at the Cat Circus"
Robert Charles Wilson: "Utriusque Cosmi"
John Kessel: "Events Preceding the Helvetican Revolution"
Ted Kosmatka & Michael Poore
Megan
While the first few stories lag in interest and quality, most of this anthology is of excellent writing and thoughtfulness. The stories are written by a diverse group of authors, and to my pleasure the protagonists stretch across the range of human experience: women, women of color, men of color, and sexual minorities narrate and star alongside the straight white male staples of science fiction. This attention to diverse viewpoints offers an enriching and engaging spread of fiction for the moder ...more
Kim
Gardner Dozois' YBSF compilations are some of the best short story collections out there. I'm a huge fan of short fiction and of sci fi short fiction in particular and have been a long-time reader of this series. However, the past several years, I've fallen behind on reading YBSF collections because they're so giant and I can't easily cart them around with me. Hooray for e-books! I read through this from cover to cover and, although not every story was to my personal taste, I really enjoyed it. ...more
Magnus Itland
I bought this (well, the Kindle edition) to read the story "Infinities" by Vandana Singh. It had impressed a close online friend to the point of "wow".

To be honest, I don't feel this particular story was science fiction, as the only extraordinary part was the mathematician visiting the realm of mathematics physically (or so he believes) on two occasions. In the context, this is a religious experience more than anything, the character even compares it briefly to the Prophet being given a tour of
Tasilee
ShortStory: Mammoth SF. Runing out of oxygen on moon of jupiter with alien on ice.
Brit Mandelo
The first thing I will say is that this is one big bastard of a book. The second is that I enjoyed it a great deal over a long period of time because of that--it's hard to go short story to short story with no breaks in between, and so this took longer than your average novel to read. As usual, Dozois picks some good stuff, and I skipped only one story (John C. Wright) in the whole thing. (That one for personal ethical reasons.)

So, also as usual, I'd recommend this collection for a huge honking
Ron
As usual, the annual Dozois "best of" anthology has lots of great stories in it. I tend to pick and choose which stories to read in this annual series, since Dozois collects a wide range of sf stories, not all of which are to my taste; even so, there were over a dozen I thought were excellent, and a number more I considered very good. For a full table of contents, see its Wikipedia pg.
Paul
I gotta hand it to Dozois on this one. While there were a few duds (as I am now expecting in every anthology) I can see that Dozois made an honest attempt to represent the broad spectrum of current SF. I'm a picky SF reader (i.e. tend to like the hard stuff with superior writing skill) and I count 12 stories that were superb. Several others were good. I've already read Robert Charles Wilson's "Utriusque Cosmi" twice and I'm sure I'll read a few other stories a second time.
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch
Pre-read observation: It's now sitting on my to-read shelf. I have read every one of these books cover to cover (although I'm a few years behind, just now reading 22nd). They're not all to my taste, but they're all readable and well written and I appreciate that Dozois has to cover a great deal of ground to ensure that everyone's ideas about what's the best will appear.
Dev
Having read volumes 8-26 w/ a great deal of wonder( I look forward every year to the latest installment). I was sorely disappointed w/#27. Instead of making me wish for what would happen next, I was left wondering is that it? Perhaps this was a bad year for short fiction. Nevertheless, it will take several more years of weak fare to make me give up this yearly treat.
Steve
Collects the best short science fiction of 2009, which seems like it was not that great a year for short fiction. The collection has a lot of good stories, but not a lot of great of memorable ones. My favorites were "The Island" by Peter Watts and "Vishnu at the Cat Circus" by Ian McDonald. As always, Dozois provides a good summary of the year in SF.
Lord Humungus
Overall, solid stuff. Unlike some years, where some exceptional works are included, this collection had many works I felt were good but not outstanding, and I think this was the majority of the stories. Some of these stories I'd already read in New Space Opera (also edited by Dozois).
Gevera Bert
Out of this whole collection, I LOVED one story (Mongoose) and disliked one (Twilight of the Gods). The most disappointing thing was the poor proofreading. Tons of misspellings, typos, homonyms & missing words. Can't remember that problem in any previous collection.
Erik
Couple of winners, bunch of real dopey stories too and some just mediocre hack stuff. Is this really the best out there, I doubt it. So far I liked Utriusque Cosmi, Black Swan, Things Undone, the Island, Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction, Solace.
Crescentm
I read a few short stories so far and could not understand how this could be the year's best. I'm still plodding through in the hopes that they left the best stories for later in the book.

I couldn't finish this book. I had to stop.
Bug
Sep 10, 2010 Bug is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Over the past few years I have had an increasing appreciation for short stories. Maybe the fit my hectic schedule? Anyhow these are great collections, excited to have a new one
Jim Gleeson
I consider this book to be my "dessert" of the year. It takes me about a month to read, because it runs about 30+ stories, and some of them take more time to read than others.
James
Essential reading for any science fiction fan. There is guaranteed to be quite a few stories in this selection that will leave you in a haze.
Jeff
read maybe half of these before I had to take it back to the library. Very little here really grabbed me, but I liked the stories well enough.
Thomas
Particular favorites: Peter Watts' "The Island", Albert E. Cowdrey's "Paradiso Lost", and Nicola Griffith's "It Takes Two."
Larry Koester
Too many of the stories seemed more like pointless episodes to me rather than short stories. But I did enjoy some of the.
brendan
Really enjoyable collection of talent. Nice brain candy. Some inspirational ideas.
Richard Magahiz
Fascinating in its variety and the ways in which boundaries are pushed.
David Gallay
Awesome collection ... Full of gems to mine.
Robert
As usual mix of good and not so good.
James
James is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Wendel Schwab
Wendel Schwab is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Sesho Maru
Sesho Maru is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • Gateways
  • The Perseids and Other Stories
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection