Start by marking “Bats at the Ballgame” as Want to Read:
Bats at the Ballgame

Bats at the Ballgame (Bat Books)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  508 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Hurry up! Come one—come all!
We’re off to watch the bats play ball!

Published September 6th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bats at the Ballgame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bats at the Ballgame

Carmen
Feb 11, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
I'm not that interested in baseball. This is a cute book about two baseball teams (made up of bats!) play a night game against each other.

“Get it going! Throw a strike!”
We flap and howl and frown.
The seventh-inning stretch arrives
at last, to cool us down.

We shake our feet and raise our wings.
In voices high and strong,
together, all the fans belt out
the famous bat-ball song.

Then back at bat, our batters swing,
but can't gain any ground.
There doesn't seem to be a way
to turn this game around!

http:/
GoldGato
Apr 12, 2014 GoldGato rated it liked it
Although I collect illustrated children's books, this is the first Bats At book I purchased. Intrigued by the artwork and the simple concept of bats playing the American pastime, I did enjoy the obvious devotion to the concept.

In our dreams, that perfect green,
our refuge from the drab routine
of headlong flutter, flurried flight...
until another baseball night.

The pictures are fun, especially when grandpa bat starts reminiscing about the great bat players. Yes, there is a Lou Gehrig bat standing
Lisa Vegan
Nov 25, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Luann
This is a worthy book in the Bats series and the third “Bats at the…” book that I’ve read. I love baseball so this one was really fun for me to read. I particularly enjoyed the Bat’s version of the famous “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” song, though it wasn’t shown in its entirety. Fine, rhyming story. Marvelous illustrations. I like bats but even those who are fearful of them or repulsed by them might very well enjoy this/these books.
Mar 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finn-wren
In our house, we love baseball and we love bats - so what could be better than a book about baseball-playing bats?? Not much!
The story of a grandpa bat taking his grandbat to a ball game is sweet and funny by itself, but the illustrations here make the whole book - the little bat with his "mothdog", the old-timey memories of the grandpa, the emotional reaction of the bat crowd to the game - it was all wonderful. One of the best books I've read for awhile. Very much recommended.
Luann
Nov 09, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2011
Do you like bats? Do you like baseball? Well, even if you don't, you're sure to like this book! Brian Lies DEFINITELY likes bats, since this is his third VERY COOL bat book. He also DEFINITELY likes baseball, and it comes through loud and clear. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but reading this makes me feel a bit of nostalgia for the golden days of baseball. I would love to see a game like this - especially if it were bats playing! Only the refreshments such as Cricket Jack and Mothdogs don't reall ...more
Kaethe
I really like the previous two Bat books by Brian Lies. And I have a soft spot for books about baseball. for some reason, the subject brings out a poetic and nostalgic warmth that other topics don't elicit from the same writers. Lies got all that, and some very amusing little jokes in, as well. "Cricket Jack" amused both the PandaBat and me.
Kevin Wright
Mar 29, 2014 Kevin Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya
A moderately successful storytime selection, Bats at the Ballgame is another children's book that I think I enjoyed more than the kids did. The painted illustrations are amazingly skillful and luminous and the brilliant character design for the bats somehow makes them simultaneously super realistic and super cuddly. It's not often that a top-notch artist also excels at writing, but Lies verse narrative is lively and dramatic, with great turns of phrase and inventive yet accessible language. I al ...more
Feb 14, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
This is a cute story where rhyme is used to tell about a baseball game with bats. It is nominated for a California Young Reader Medal for 2013. The story is easy to read aloud and has some great humorous moments. I fear that some of the humor might be over the heads of some of its intended audience. I found that my older students, age 10 and up, were able to laugh along more than the younger ones. There were several times where I had to explain why something is funny for the primary students. It ...more
Amy Forrester
Sep 15, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Night is falling and the air crackles with excitement. It’s time for the annual bat baseball game! For years this bat team has been defeated by the same rival team, but this year will be different. The grounds crew preps the ground and the national anthem is sung. Soon the game is in full swing, but the innings pass and the score remains at 0-0. Will the bat's team win or will they be beaten once again by their rivals? Grab a mothdog and some Cricket Jacks and find out!

Lies’ rhyming text and evo
Sharyn Craft
Mar 26, 2014 Sharyn Craft rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun little book for all ages. The bats go to their local baseball field and use powered sugar to make the lines, packs of sugar for the bases, and serve mothdaogs and cricket jacks. The illustrations are fabulous and very vibrant. It's a heart stopper to see who wins the game. When the sun starts to come up, they pack up and go home. Very cute, especially if you like bats!
Linda Lipko
Feb 05, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
This series of bat stories, makes me laugh right out loud. In this book, the bats awake at night and fly to the field.

While the story is not in depth, or intellectually challenging, I love the rhymes and the clear, crisp detailed images! I never fail to smile and laugh when I read these books.
Naomi
Aug 22, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were awesome. I loved the play on colors/darkness just like bats enjoy and the play on the poem Casey at the Bat. I
Kellie Ewilson
Apr 03, 2015 Kellie Ewilson rated it liked it
I barely like baseball and I only dig bats in the abstract, so I'm surprised I liked this book. I give credit to the illustrator's details. The sugar pack that served as third base tipped the scales in favor of the book. I do have a heart.
D'Anne
Oct 21, 2015 D'Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Illustrations are very cute, but are sometimes crammed several to a page. Rhyming is nice though sometimes is forced. Extra star for the fact that some of the proceeds went to Bat Conservation International. Bats are super cool.
Meredith
Mar 25, 2016 Meredith rated it did not like it
Too bad, I was hoping to use as a Reading Week readaloud. But it was kind of choppy and focused too much on game details that my kids just won't get, seeing as most of them are basketball, football, and hockey fans.
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
Adorable summer reading book for any kid who likes baseball. The rhymed verse follows an A,A B,B rhyme before and after the game while during the game the rhyme shifts to A,B,C,B which is interesting but a bit jarring.
Cathy
Sep 22, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: California Young Readers Medal Nominee
Hurry up! Come one—come all!
We’re off to watch the bats play ball!

You’ll never forget your first game: the green so green, the presence of heroes past, and togetherness with family and friends, rooting for the home team. But you think humans are the only ones who enjoy America’s national pastime? Grab your bat—the other kind—and your mitt, and join these captivating bats as they flutter off to watch their all-stars compete. How about a mothdog? Or some Cricket Jack? In sweeping compositions tha
Candice
Nov 07, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Bats at the Library I sought out the other "Bats at" books. This one is as much fun and as beautifully illustrated as the first. Once again, it's not meant for the very young. There are a lot of amusing details in the illustrations that a young child would miss - a "batly" take on the old song "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" becomes "Hang me up in the rafters," for instance. Also amusing were the bat raking the pitcher's mound with a fork and two bats rolling the foul lines with powd ...more
Linda
Sep 30, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Authentic baseball fun down to the mothdogs and Cricket Jack! Don't miss the words to the seventh-inning stretch! And of course, there is a bat umpire that is blind as a ...!
The Brothers
Jan 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball, bats, sports
A lovely and nostalgic rhyme of the wonders of baseball as shown through the eyes of bats. The bats go out to the ball game at night and love cheering on their team.

Great illustrations.
Lauren
Nov 02, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Not as cute as Bats at the Beach, but still a fun read. My boys love it even though we've never been to or watched a baseball game.
Mar 24, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
3.5 if I could. Endearing illustrations with wonderful, funny realistic details (if I can call bats playing baseball "realistic"?). See the bats raking the field with forks, and making the baselines with powdered sugar, for example. And don't miss the edited concessions sign, featuring "garlic flies" and "gnatwurst." The tale of this secret night game is told in rhyme, with extra points to Lies for getting meter right. (Verse with bad meter is a pet peeve of mine.) It feels a bit long for its ta ...more
Deana
Jul 22, 2014 Deana rated it really liked it
This book is great for reading aloud to young audiences. The pacing is exactly that of a good ballgame!
Destiny Dawn Long
This is a fun book that exposes children to the excitement of going out to a ballgame--but in this case it's a parallel world of "bat ball". Still, there's the crackling energy of the crowd in the stands, the call of the food vendors, the tension at home plate, and the exhilaration of your home team winning.

I liked that it teaches children some of the basics of baseball, through a charming and engaging story. My daughter was pulled right in.

And the illustrations are gorgeous. They are richly d
Kyle Hatfield
May 31, 2016 Kyle Hatfield rated it really liked it
I'm not even and fan of baseball, but the book still manages to make the game seem fun.
Nov 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great rhyme and fun concept! Love how the bats are upside down in the bleachers.
Ellen Gallagher
I love Lies' "Bat" books. The writing has a flow to it that is very soothing to the reader. It is so great for children to imagine this world that comes alive while they're sleeping. They aren't sure if they should believe it or not since that bats all go home when the world starts to wake up. Children can also relate to the experiences the bats have because they are doing human things and expressing emotions children are familiar with. The subtle changes the author makes to the "bat world" are ...more
Andee
May 14, 2016 Andee rated it liked it
It was ok - nice illustrations. No lesson to be taught, just a cute read aloud.
Limeminearia
The art is gorgeous but I wish the text were simpler.
Liz Price Patel
Recommended summer reading by first grade.
  • Who Hops?
  • She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story
  • Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
I was born in 1963 in Princeton, New Jersey, which back then was a quiet college town, surrounded by old farmland slowly giving way to housing developments. I spent a lot of time building dams and forts in the woods across the street with my best friend, inventing things, and writing and drawing with my older sister. At various times during my childhood, we had newts, gerbils and rabbits as pets. ...more
More about Brian Lies...