One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)

One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Living in a gray world of silhouette, Lord Taris Wellingham conceals his fading eyesight from society. He has long protected himself from any intimate relationships.Plain twenty-eight-year-old Beatrice-Maude Bassingstoke does not expect to attract any man, especially not one as good-looking as her remote traveling companion.

Forced by a snowstorm to spend the night together...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Harlequin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Unashamed Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Unashamed Night

Kathleen
Historical (Regency?) romance featuring an austerely cool hero and a Plainish Jane of a slightly lower class. She's repressed, recovering from an abusive marriage. He's a spy, retiring from covert work due to ever-worsening blindness. He keeps his failing vision a secret.

The hero and heroine meet one freezing night when stranded in a snow storm out in the English countryside. Vivid imagery. They spend one memorable night in an abandoned barn, huddling together for body warmth. Although they mus...more
Amanda Caswell
I had to read this story because the hero really interested in in that he was nearly blind and still stubbornly functioning in society. The heroine is a recent widow, grateful to be released from her abusive marriage. The shelter for a night in a barn during a snowstorm, offering each other comfort and warmth, then meet again a few months later in London. They reconnect, each unsure of how the other feels, but drawn together by circumstances and mutual pleasure in the other's company. There are...more
HÜLYA
Orjinal Adı One Unashamed Night olan Welligham Serisinin ikinci kitabı Fırtınada Bir Gece'yi genel anlamda beğenerek okudum..İlk kitapta Ağabey Asher Wellingham'ın hikayesi vardı..Bu ikinci hikaye onun kadar çarpıcı olmasa da daha derin bir hikaye idi bence..

Kocasından evli olduğu on iki yıl içinde zulüm gören Beatrice Maude(Bea) kendisini pek güzel bulmayan eğitimli bir kadın..Kocasından gördüğü zulüm nedeniyle onun ölümünden sonra elde ettiği özgürlüğün tadını çıkarmak istemektedir..Ölen eşind...more
Susan
Kate
Tami (synchro from BL)
Nice enough. It was an entertaining read. The main characters didn't get on my nerves.
The had some good tension and the setting was ok.

It was not the most original and also not the most historically correct regency romance, but I do like widows better as female leads than virgins.

The male lead had a disability - it was done well.

Mary
This is what I love about having an ereader..I had never read anything by this author before, but saw this title for less than $4.00 in the Amazon Kindle store so figured that it was worth a shot. I was so pleasantly surprised.

Both the story and the characters reminded me of a Mary Balough book.. and that is a very good thing for me. The characters were not perfect. They both have secrets and issues that need healing. I love to read books where the two characters help each other overcome their p...more
Esra Ç.
Serinin ilk kitabı gibi bu da hoştu... Abisi Asher'ı kurtarmak için gözlerinden olan Taris ve yıllarca kocasından eziyet görmüş olan Beatrice'in hikayesiydi.. İlk kitabın ardından merak etmiştim Taris'in neler yaşayacağını yazarımız tam ona göre bir bayan çıkardı karşısına ve buruk da olsa mutlu bir sona ulaştılar.. Serinin devamını merak ediyorum özellikle de burada sürekli adı geçen küçük kardeşi, bakalım geri dönecek mi?
Karen Wilson
Beautiful story between two people that are learning to live new lives. No hidden agendas, no silly misunderstandings, no prideful acts at the risk of losing what's more important; just 2 people that are very honest.

Ending part with his gift by actions was very very beautiful.
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: A

When he stretched out and groaned she felt the control of a woman with power. Feminine power, the feeling unlike any she had ever experienced.

She did not feel guilty as Frankwell had said that she must, she did not feel sullied or soiled or befouled. Nay, she felt the sheer and utter wonder of it, the bewildering rarity of rightness.

Here. With Taris Wellingham. For this one storm-snowed freezing night.

‘Thank you.’ The words slipped out without recognition as to what she had said. A beho
Readitnweep
***SPOILER ALERT*** There were layers to this story that came to light as it went on; the author did a good job of weaving the plot together and not exposing too much too soon. No info dumps - thanks for that.

Also, I liked both main characters. Beatrice had strong motivations and the pace of her changing attitudes made sense. I did not see that she was the original target until it was brought up by Taris. Also, some authors would have had her baulk at marriage with Taris a lot more - a misguided...more
İnci Puyan
3,5 stars...

Haftasonumu Harlequin okuyarak geçirdim :) sanırım Harlequinlerimi haftasonuna bırakarak günde bir kitap bitirme tadına doyuyorum :)

Okuyup bitirdiğim yeni kitabın Sophia James'in Harlequin'den çıkan ikinci kitabı "Fırtınada Bir Gece" kitabıydı. Kitap aynı zamanda "Willinghams Serisi"nin ikinci kitabıydı.

Sophia James, akıcı bir üslupla kullanan ve lordları leydileri sever okurları tatmin edecek bir dil kullanan, okuruna istediğini veren, ayrılı...more
Lucimar
Eu amei Noche de lujuria que me cativou desde quando li as primeiras página. Taris um nobre quase cego e uma viúva se encontram numa noite de nevasca. E por causa de um acidente da carruagem em que viajava, eles passam uma noite, apaixonadíssima juntos. Taris não quer demonstrar a ninguém que se encontra quase cego e poucas pessoas sabem disso. Bea, uma viúva que quando casou aos 16 anos, só sofreu maus-tratos e espancamentos do marido, ao enviuvar decide ir a Londres para mudar de vida. Além di...more
Julia
I really enjoyed this book. It's a really unique premise, and I was so eager to see what happened I read the entire book in one sitting.

(view spoiler)...more
Greymalkin
babyfishmouth
A legally blind hero. A plain-Jane widow. Trapped in a snowstorm. Angst and painful pasts.

It's hard for me not to like a book with all those elements. And I did like this book. I think I could have loved it if there had been a few less misunderstandings and few more believable plot points. The hero was legally blind for THREE years and only a handful of people were aware? Not possible. Bea's ability to trust someone so quickly after being a battered spouse? Not likely. Also subtracting from my...more
Jen
I've not read a HR in a while, and I didn't "read" this…I listened to it while crocheting. I think because of these reasons, I liked it more than I would have if I'd continued to devour the genre like I have been the past few years. When I listen to audiobooks, I don't always retain every little detail that would normally make me irritated with the writing. The story was great, and the scenes were kind of refreshing.

Taris is cool, and Beautrice-Maude is ok. I will have to say, though, that the...more
Maggi Hesseling
I loved this novel!
The characters, the situation, the writing- it all adds up to an amazing story. Not completely based on misunderstanding, the story is heart-warming and really sexy. Though slow to start, when it comes to them meeting in London, my geeky-ness started to love every aspect. From the great dialogue to the intense debates. I was almost sad to see it end. I'll probably be rereading this novel quite a few times.
Veronica
My impression of this book was that it was going to be a quick jaunt of these two having an affair, falling in love, and then getting married. I did not expect the amount of depth that was involved with it. Which goes to show that reading the back cover, doesn't really amount to much.

The male lead was interesting and likeable, despite his stubbornness to seek help for his malady. I kept hoping he would break down and continue to see a doctor, but no such luck.

The female lead was interesting as w...more
Jessica

Lys
Correspond à la saga "Les frères Welligham tome1 : Scandaleuse nuit d'hiver
Sophia James sortie le 1 février 2013 chez Harlequin collection les Historiques
Cecy
A nice romance story to read...the characters were interesting. Thinking about reading the other books about the Wellinghams brother.
Anne Neville
At twenty-eight, Beatrice-Maude Bassingstoke has survived marriage to an abusive alcoholic who shamed her for her plain appearance and her barrenness. Now that she is widowed, she is determined never again to allow herself to be silenced or isolated. Mistress of her own fortune, she cherishes her independence. Then, one snowy night on her journey to London, she meets a remarkable gentleman: Lord Taris Wellingham. When their carriage breaks down, they seek shelter in a barn and comfort in each ot...more
Cherie Jensen
Because of the reviews I did not have high expectations. I still wanted to read about a blind hero though. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story. I waited for the negatives others had commented on and never found them.

I thought Ms. James handled the emotions of someone who has been abused quite well. I thank her for these words:

"And right then, at that very moment, something thawed inside Beatrice. Some icy guilt that had insisted her husband's intractability was somehow her fault. That she dese...more
Christine Strowbridge
I actually enjoyed it. I thought the side story of the man attacking Bea was not needed to the story. I think if the book had been a longer more fleshed out book that side story might have added some good drama, but the book was under 300 pages and I thought it didn't add to the book at all. Other than that, the romance between Taris and Bea was sweet.

On a side note I love the names of the men; Asher, Taris, and Cristo. I think I need to go back and the first book in the series. I look forward...more
Jasey
Susanne
I love a hero who fights such a potentially overwhelming difficulty and doesn't have everything "magically" work out, yet still wins. Taris joins Anna Campbell's Gideon as one of my top three favourite heroes. And Beatrice is a worthy other half. Their story touched and delighted me. Thanks, Sophia. Not just a good read, but a great read that I'll go back to again.
Lisamarie
This was a fabulously good story. The heroine was straight forward and any misunderstandings were cleared almost right away instead of letting them fester and create more understandings. The H/h were very passionate about each other and that was nice to see instead of worrying about propriety. Just go after what you want. Good read.
« Crystal »
I've read the book multiple times, but this review is for the AUDIOBOOK. It was just amazing! The story 5 STARS the narration 5 STARS! I loved it.
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Married: The Virgin Widow
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Heartsight
  • The Mercenary's Bride
  • The Duke's Cinderella Bride
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
Georgette Heyer novels formed Sophia James's reading tastes as a teenager lying in the sun on her grandmother's porch overlooking a wild west-coast beach.

Her writing life, however, started in Bilbao, Spain. After having three wisdom teeth extracted she was given a pile of Mills and Boons--filled with strong painkillers she imagined that she could pen one, too.

Many drafts later she thinks she has t...more
More about Sophia James...
The Border Lord High Seas To High Society (Wellinghams, #1) One Illicit Night (Wellinghams, #3) Masquerading Mistress Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle\Governess to Christmas Bride\Duchess by Christmas