Start by marking “Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)

Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt #1)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A blood-stained Confederate flag and the beautiful woman carrying it put Gabriel Hunt on the trail of a secret hidden deep in the Central American jungle a secret that might just be the legendary Fountain of Youth
Published April 28th 2009 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Hunt at the Well of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunt at the Well of Eternity

Dan Schwent
What do a missing Confederate regiment, a lost Mayan city, and the fountain of youth have in common? They're all parts of the plot of Hunt at the Well of Eternity!

Gabriel Hunt is a globetrotting adventurer in the mold of Doc Savage and Indiana Jones. His brother Michael is head of the Hunt Foundation, an organization that has connections to museums all over the world.

The story starts with Gabriel and Michael at a banquet and the action starts right away when a woman tries to give a package to M...more
Aaron
I appear to be on a hunt (puns always intended) for solid adventure novels of a particular type. I discovered James Rollins' Sigma Force series, which ended up being a lot of fun; intelligent and suspenseful globetrotting adventures with interesting characters, believable science, and dealing with some lesser known unexplained mysteries of the past. At some point in the last year I also found an obscure series of six books by different authors (including James Reasoner, Charles Ardai, and Christ...more
John
Wow was I excited about this series of pulp adventure books. The covers exhibited online were so cool, and the idea of having a regular series of great pulp adventures really got to me.

Unfortunately this book is deadly boring. It has the stock elements of what we think of as pulp, but none of the racing action or colorful characters.

Gabriel Hunt is supposed to be a hero cut from the same cloth as Indiana Jones or Doc Savage, with some steady James Bond gigolo action along the way (but don't get...more
William M.
3 AND 1/2 STARS

When I heard that horror writers Christa Faust, Nicholas Kaufman, and especially David J. Schow were writing a pulp adventure series, I had to jump on board. Currently, six titles are slated to be released by six different writers under the Gabriel Hunt pseudonym, who also happens to be the main character in the series.

Indiana Jones overdosing on a mix of speed and steroids is one way of describing the hyper-violence and fast pace of this book. This adventure has more non-stop a...more
Anthony
Gabriel Hunt, the "author" and main character of this book, is half James Bond: oh so smooth and irresistible to women, great with a gun, cool under pressure and villianous death threats; and half Indiana Jones: world renowned retriever of antiquities, even if sometimes he does slightly illegal things to get them, always stumbling into trouble just when he thinks he's in the clear, handy with a bullwhip (and it is heavily implied he was taught to use it by Dr. Jones himself).

In this first instal...more
Tim Mayer
Dorchester Publishing is running full throttle trying to create a new pulp hero with their "Gabriel Hunt" line. Gabriel Hunt is the hero and subject of the series with each book not authored, but "told to" the writer. Hunt is a rich and handsome world traveler who is heir to his parents' fortune. In the first book we learn that his parents disappeared at sea, leaving him and his brother Michael to administer the family fortune. They also run the Hunt Foundation, which serves as the background co...more
Travis
I stumbled onto the Hunt series of books while looking up a writer I've really gotten into over the past few months RICHARD ALEAS. RICHARD ALEAS is a writer and creator of Hard Case Crime, under his real name Charles Ardai, that publishes new and old crime pulps. While looking for more information on his work I discovers the Hunt series also published by Charles Ardai. The Hunt series of books are action adventure stories where Gabriel Hunt tells his story to a writer who then publishes Gabriel'...more
Greg of A2
It took me a bit to get into this adventure novel. It's all action for many pages without any chance to establish character. But as the book rolls on, there are some moments where we get to learn about Hunt as a person as well as some of the co-stars around him (mostly dangerous men and strong women). As others have said, there's some Indiana Jones in here with a dash of James Bond and Mack Bolan. It isn't quite what I'd call a "men's adventure novel" but it's straying close to that line. Gabrie...more
Jonathan Wood
A gunfight every chapter! Except the one where they fight with whips!
Thomas
Minor Potential Spoiler Alert.

Gabriel Hunt, in case you somehow missed it, is a takeoff on Doc Savage, though news stories and comments about this new Hard Case Crime series have been referencing Indiana Jones more often, and fans of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt or other pulpy globetrotting pseudo-archaeologist heroes with six-shooters will also recognize the style, and it likely won't fail to please you.

Hunt at the Well of Eternity is a good, entertaining, fast-paced novel introducing readers to t...more
Benjamin Thomas
I've been looking for a good modern-day version of the classic pulp adventure stories like Doc Savage, John Carter, Indiana Jones, etc. and so I gave this one a try. This novel is from the producers of the Hard Case Crime imprint (created by Charles Ardai) and is the first of six in the series (so far) featuring Gabriel Hunt. This particular entry in the series is written by James Reasoner, known mostly for his Civil War fiction novels, and each book in the series is by a different author. And a...more
Mike
Leisure Books is of course an imprint of Dorchester Publishing the same publishing house responsible for the Hard Case Crime imprint. Of course none of this should be a surprise at since the series is the brainchild of Charles Ardai; the man behind Hard Case crime. I was first attracted to this series thanks to the clever use of the character’s name as the author. While this somewhat meta-fictional conceit doesn’t extend to the rest of the novel and is traded for a straight-forward no-nonsense t...more
Jared
I'd been curious about this for awhile. Who doesn't like light pulp? So when it was offered on Free Fridays on Barnes & Nobel some weeks back, I downloaded it eagerly.

It's hardly Daschiell Hammett or the like, but it's a decent way to throw away a couple evenings. Hunt is cookie-cutter pulp hero, even more-so than most such heroes. He's not nearly as charismatic as some of the genuine figures of the genre, but he's not a bad facsimile.

Clearly the book was hastily written (as well it should b...more
Nathan Shumate
Neo-pulp. The series recounts the adventures of Gabriel Hunt, a modern-day combo of Indiana Jones and James Bond, globe-trotting in various legend-inspired adventures. All of the books are credited to Gabriel Hunt, "as told to" their real author -- in this case, prolific adventure-genre workhorse James Reasoner. A beautiful visitor to the Hunt Foundation in New York, kidnapped by professional goons before she can tell what brought her, sends Gabriel on a trek first to a Civil War battleground, t...more
Phillip Hall
I ran into the Hunt books after getting heavily into Doc Savage and The Shadow. So when I ran into this series I grabbed it quick. I was pleasantly surprised to find the pulpish feel to the novel. Gabriel Hunt is larger than life and you never think he's going to die but it was fun. That's the key to me is it was just a fun adventure. It wasn't the greatest literary thing every written but it was full of adventure and action. Like watching a good B-Action Movie, Hunt at the Well of Eternity was...more
Jessica
I don't know if it was the title of the book or the spoiler in the description but this book was very predictable. Down to the ending. It had an Indiana Jones feel of adventure but there was no suspense, no mystery. The action starts of pretty quickly and holds steady through the story but it didn't have a lot of oompf!

I needed a quick read while waiting for a friend to catch up in a series read. This book served it's purpose of reading filler.
Eric Orchard
This book is SO much fun. Just the right mix of weird supernatural weirdness and fast paced adventure. A bit like the old Doc Savage books but more like Indiana Jones. The character is a bit poorly fleshed out, that's probably my biggest complaint. The apparently flawless hero type is a bit hard to empathize with sometimes but not a huge problem in a book like this. Looking forward to the rest in the series.
Josh
Fun, pulpy throwback to adventure fiction about globe trekking, chiseled-jawed heroes, beautiful and brash dames, dastardly villains, and almost nonstop action scenes. It was a fast fun read, without any smug literary pretense to it. Great for a quick weekend escape, but beware... you can probably guess where the plot is heading a good three to four chapters ahead of the characters figure out themselves...
Kim Serra
This was a great action adventure story. Just like what you'd expect from an Indiana Jones movie. What fun to read! The characters are somewhat shallow, but it is so action-packed that it more than makes up for it. I look forward to reading more of these series. But from what I researched, different authors write these stories, so the next one will have a different writing style.
David Brzezinski
As books go, this one is the literary equivalent of a pixie stick. There isn't a lot of substance to it, but there is a lot of action that does keep the story moving along pretty quickly, much like a Hollywood summer blockbuster. There's even a veiled reference to Indiana Jones in the book, which makes sense since it is very similar to the old pulp adventure novels.
John Pringle
The ultimate adventure novel—the bullets start flying almost immediately and the action doesn’t let up until the very end. No more than a page goes by without a chase, fistfight or gunfight. There’s enough room for good characterization, and the other five books in the series can build on it. A terrific, fun read that I finished in one sitting.
Bill
Series of modern adventures about archaeologist and adventurer Gabriel Hunt. Each is written by a different author under the pseudonym of the title character. As you may expect, the quality of writing varys considerably.This first entry, ghosted by James Reasoner, an author of Westerns. Is a pretty good place to start.
James
In the tradition of pulp adventure novels from Doc Savage to Indiana Jones comes this first book of a new series. The action comes at a breakneck pace and doesn't let up, which is good. Following the pulp tradition, though, some of the prose is really clunky and slows the book down. Nonetheless, a fun read.
Eric
There's a certain kind of villain I like. He doesn't want to rob banks. He doesn't want to kidnap Sue Storm. He doesn't particularly want to punish anyone. Instead he simply wants to rule the world. Megalomania on such a grand scale is rare these days. I was happy to see it return in this book.

Daniel
The first book in the new Gabriel Hunt series is a good old-fashioned, two-fisted adventure yarn. With his trusty Colt Peacemaker at his side, Hunt--who is a 21st Century amalgam of Indiana Jones and Doc Savage--follows the trail of the "Well of Eternity" from New York City to Central America.
Mphecker
I'm reminded of the old Hardy Boys books I loved as a kid... except the Hardy boys were never obsessed with curvy dames. I thought the book was decent, but the modern setting with a pulp action hero didn't appeal to me as much as it would have with a more traditional setting.
Splash Champion
Mildly entertaining and fun novel. It evokes two plot points from Indiana Jones films, and even the whip-toting academic adventurer himself. Gabriel Hunt is not as esoteric as other pulp heroes, which ultimately disappoints. Ends with a whimper, not a bang.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Oct 16, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA adventure readers
Shelves: ebooks, 2011
This book is for fun and entertainment for readers who like adventure stories. It can be recommended to a YA reader or for any reader who prefers PG-rated stories. It was fun to read on a long airplane ride.
Jessica
I feel bad giving this only two stars cause I thought it was an OK story. I figured out what Gabriel was looking for in the first twenty pages. The characters were kind of flat though. Quick read.
Scott
Indiana Jones style adventure. Quick read and fast paced. Not the greatest writing, but definitely good enough to keep my attention and worth a read for how short it is.
  • Northfield
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Chinatown Beat
  • Dark Legacy
  • The Blue Light Project
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • County Line
  • Reap the East Wind (Dread Empire, #6)
  • The Hunt
  • From the Ashes
  • Child of the Northern Spring (Guinevere, #1)
  • Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)
  • Weddings Can Be Murder
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell #1)
Hunt Through the Cradle of Fear (Gabriel Hunt, #2) Hunt at World's End (Gabriel Hunt, #3) Hunt Beyond the Frozen Fire (Gabriel Hunt, #4) Hunt Among the Killers of Men (Gabriel Hunt, #5) Hunt Through Napoleon's Web (Gabriel Hunt, #6)