Start by marking “In the Courts of the Conqueror: The 10 Worst Indian Law Cases Ever Decided” as Want to Read:
In the Courts of the Conqueror: The 10 Worst Indian Law Cases Ever Decided

In the Courts of the Conqueror: The 10 Worst Indian Law Cases Ever Decided

The fate of Native Americans has been dependent in large part upon the recognition and enforcement of their legal, political, property, and cultural rights as indigenous peoples by American courts. Most people think that the goal of the judiciary, and especially the US Supreme Court, is to achieve universal notions of truth and justice. In this in-depth examination, howeve ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Speaker's Corner (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In the Courts of the Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Courts of the Conqueror

Efrem Sepulveda
Jul 22, 2011 Efrem Sepulveda rated it really liked it
As of this writing, there was a news story regarding members of the Navajo Nation that were charged with fraud regarding misuse of discretionary funds. In looking at the comments in the Yahoo News story, it is clear that the sympathy towards Native Americans is still low and they are looked upon with contempt. It pains me to read those comments given the fact that these people were given a raw deal for most the nation's history. Walter Echo-Hawk gives us an overview of court cases involving Nati ...more
Lisa
Jul 24, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This was a well written book. It was interesting to see what Walter Echo-Hawk chose as the 10 Worst Indian Law Cases Ever Decided, because there are soooooo many. He gave great background on each of the cases. I studied Indian Law and was still surprised by some of the background information that I hadn't learned while in school. This book is not only for Indian law enthusiasts, but for the lay person as well. He gives basic information on the history of relationships between various tribes and ...more
FrankO
Nov 11, 2010 FrankO rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This book illuminates how little our judicial system, including the Supreme Court, has to do with justice. Echo-Hawk shows how the Supreme Court "legitimizes" the prejudices of the current society by interpreting the law to support those prejudices. Makes me realize that today's Supreme Court rules based on the prejudices of today and that real justice cannot be expected.

This book is a sad, almost unbelievable, story of white Americans attempts to legitimize what is essentially genocide of Nativ
Kayti
May 15, 2016 Kayti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Echohawk has a style of writing that takes the reader through not just a depiction of law, but a story of the history of a proud and sovereign people that are subjugated to unethical treatment and several violations of human rights now recognized by the United Nations. Echohawk gives a unique perspective that also informs the reader about a variety of cases, including Tee-Hit-Ton v. United States and Johnson v. M'Intosh--cases still cited today for presiding, active laws.
Sarah Caligiuri
May 04, 2014 Sarah Caligiuri rated it it was amazing
Echo-Hawk is a magnificent writer, very articulate and an expert in Federal Indian Law. His research and experience is extensive. A fascinating read. He is one of the greatest Federal Indian lawyers of our time.
Arielle W
Apr 21, 2016 Arielle W rated it really liked it
Repetitive at times, but informative. Describes the cases so laypersons can understand. It's hard to pick just ten cases--there are so many that could be the worst!
BaronVonPrim
Jun 27, 2013 BaronVonPrim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm proud to know that my tribe has some of the baddest lawyers this side of Indian country. Turahe!
Paul
Dec 24, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
A sad but true recounting of how badly the US government has systematically mistreated our indigenous hosts.
Alice
Oct 12, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me two months, but I finally finished. Whew. Echo-Hawk goes into a lot fewer legal details than I was expecting; he really focuses on the broad impact of the cases.
Rateez
Rateez rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Ken Schaefer
Ken Schaefer rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2017
Corbrett
Corbrett rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Karl
Apr 06, 2011 Karl is currently reading it
Extremely well researched.
Sean Smith
Sean Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Daryl A. Rodrigues
Daryl A. Rodrigues rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
JACLYNN CONGROVE
JACLYNN CONGROVE rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Dhassing
Dhassing rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
V.esquivido
V.esquivido rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Tyanne
Tyanne rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Allison Kardas
Allison Kardas rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
heather youckton
heather youckton rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Ariel
Aug 10, 2011 Ariel rated it it was ok
A book with such important content that is, alas, often repetitive and not well written.
Maci Ward
Maci Ward rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Sierra Sims
Sierra Sims rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2017
noah
noah rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
vaughn
vaughn rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015