Start by marking “Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast” as Want to Read:
Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast

Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast (Secret Warriors #3)

Nick Fury quietly moves his forces into place as the war between the armies of LEVIATHAN and the armies of HYDRA kicks into gear. Also, the long-awaited origin of the mysterious HIVE, and we finally find out who the father of STONEWALL is. Collects Secret Warriors #11-16.
Published August 11th 2010 by Marvel (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Warriors, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Warriors, Vol. 3

Nov 04, 2015 Terence rated it liked it
The stage is being set for all out war between Hydra, Leviathan, and S.H.I.E.L.D..

After volume 2 I wasn't sure if I'd read Volume 3 Wake The Beast. I read a bunch of reviews to determine if it would be worth my time and I was convinced enough to give it a shot. The tense preparation for battle is definitely visible in this volume, but Daisy and her secret warriors are mostly hanging out in preparation.

This volume gave a big glimpse of Gorgon and that dude is quite the mixture of awesome and terr
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)

This volume is the biggest wind-up of a massive uppercut to the face EVER!

You can just feel it coming. Shit is gonna rain!

Also, Nick Fury is a son of bitch! We already know this...but damn.
Mar 06, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tale, great intrigue, double-dealing, politics of unsaid or unanswered questions, and a fine unfolding of mysteries within mysteries.

I'll admit, I was skeptical that Hickman would be able to take over from Bendis and deliver a tale as enjoyable and action-packed as we'd been treated to.

Turns out I must've been living under a rock (or perhaps Hickman's reputation has been well-hidden) - I'm enjoying the hell out of this storyline (comparably so to Brubaker's work on Captain America), an
Lots of plot elements were explained in this one. Well explained is a strong word. Lot's of plot element details were added. And in the end I found out that I really didn't care. Not about the good guys. Not about the bad guys. Not about any of the teams. Or technology. Just a whole bunch of whatever. Art and text were fine but didn't really help.
Dec 16, 2011 Pturingan rated it really liked it
The series is getting better and better.
Arno Callens
Sep 18, 2016 Arno Callens rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
Much like Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., that looked at this book a lot during its first three seasons, Secret Warriors is at its best when it's not overly bothered with the rest of the Marvel Universe. God Of Fear, God Of War was a misstep in this regard, but Wake The Beast gets things back on track. Both heroes and villains, both on S.H.I.E.L.D and Hydra's side, get fleshed out as the two draw closer to war. In the middle of it all Leviathan rises, to add another mystery of intrigue and fear to the p ...more
Joe Young
May 26, 2011 Joe Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Hickman - writer
Alessandro Vitti with Gianluca Gugliotta - artists

5/5 stars

H.Y.D.R.A. is a big, secret terrorist organization that is run by a group of super-villains. There's Gorgon, a superhumanly tough ninja whose gaze can turn a person to stone, Baron Strucker, an old, evil nazi super-scientist with a glowing death-hand, Kraken, a mysterious hulk in strange armor whose super-power is "helping people become what they are supposed to be", Hive, a crazy octopus-alien hybrid thing(s?),
Feb 18, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
I can tell Secret Warriors is shaping up to be a series I absolutely love. In this 3rd volume, it really feels like Hickman fully takes the reigns, living in the characters and conspiracies he's created and getting out from under Bendis's shadow. It's starting to feel more like each character is a real person, rather than just an empty vessel with a superpower or a weird Hydra mask.

Also, I love Hickman's writing of Nick Fury. I think it may be the best I've ever seen. Often, Fury is depicted as
Aug 07, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
Volume 3 of the series is an excellent example of an "Act II". By this, I mean that it is similar to Empire Strikes Back in the Star Wars series. This is where the drama of tensions must be built to where they are almost exploding. Hickman does a good job of doing this. While "Empire" was my favorite movie of the original Star Wars trilogy, Hickman brings so much good stuff to the surface without conclusions. Too many loose threads. else. While surprises abounded, the lack of conclusions in this ...more
Aug 22, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still liking this series a lot. We get some glimpses at the inner workings of Hydra this time out, including the origin of the Cthulhu-like creature that is one of the leaders of the group, and who infects the dead Viper, creating a new Madame Hydra who is part human and part crustacean (yuck!). Now, Leviathan is on the scene and things only get more complicated as the pieces are moved into position for the next collection.
May 12, 2015 Silas rated it really liked it
Another super powered espionage tale, with lots of moving pieces and bits of Marvel history thrown in (along with a fair amount of retcon). I'm starting to understand who some of the characters are, at least, and it's interesting to see more of the other side (though some of the artwork is rather silly at times... particularly wherever there are tentacles... never can trust tentacles...). This story looks to be coming to a climax pretty soon, so I am interested to see what happens next.
Mar 05, 2016 Scarlett rated it really liked it
"You need to wake up and realize that this business we're in, nobody gives a damn about your heart, or how you 'feel' about 'things'... You think you get a happy ending just because you want one?"

P.S. Can't wait for Ward as Hive. Can't wait for Ward. Can't.
P.P.S. Why did people want Ward as Hellfire? They are nothing alike apart from the Turn, turn, turn thingy. But still. Not that Ward is anything like Hive...
Jun 03, 2015 Mairi rated it it was ok
This has what should be the mechanics of a good story, but I just don't care about the characters. Part of it feels like it's because they don't get as much page time because much of the issues focus on the villains, but even when the Secret Warriors do get some development (romance, people being kicked off the team, etc.), I still don't care.
Oct 01, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Marvel should insure Hickman's brain with Lloyd's of London the same way 20th Century Fox did with Betty Grable's legs. Not for the sake of profit or Hollywood but to prove they actually had at least one visionary writer working on their print comic books in the 21st century. Marvel does not have a lot of visionary writers working for them.
Trey Jackson
Jul 18, 2011 Trey Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, spy
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Stefano Caselli is a BEAST! His art was dope. As with volume 2, not sure how accessible this is to non-comics folks or non-espionage fans -- my feeling is it leans too heard on its convoluted plots and double-crosses, but they at least all make sense and they all worked for me. A lot of fun, a big cast of distinctive characters.
Liam Mcguire
Jun 18, 2016 Liam Mcguire rated it it was amazing
Secret Warriors 3 was a monumental step up from volume 2. Where volume 2 struggled to focus on the massive amount of characters, volume 3 found a perfect balance. The story had much more zip, Daisy's squad actually felt like a team and the fallout from Hydra/Leviathan is promising. Can't wait to read volume 4.
Andrew Uys
Aug 10, 2013 Andrew Uys rated it really liked it
The "Empire Strikes Back" of the SECRET WARRIORS graphic novels, the third volume focuses on Hydra and Leviathan, the two "baddy" evil empires of Nick Fury's shadow war in the Marvel U. Probably my favourite SECRET WARRIORS arc, I just love the weird and wild villains they have controlling these vast terrorist networks. Can you dig it?
Aug 12, 2010 George rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2010
I like this series, but don't know how long it's going to be around. Give Marvel credit for trying new things, though. This is an espionage comic. So far I've seen a boatload of characters, a cloverleaf worth of plot twists and turns, and lots of build-up. Hopefully it will pay off.
Scott Lee
Oct 14, 2015 Scott Lee rated it liked it
The story becomes clearer yet again, over the previous volumes, at least in some segments. Still feel like Nick's liable to do anything without even slightly violating character though--because even after all this time Nick's just a look, just an image, not really a character.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 05, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Another excellent volume. The background on the Hydra leaders is terrific, as is the fact that the main focus of the volume is character drama.
Oct 18, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Kinda just runs in place, and seems to set up things that aren't going to pay off in the short term.
Brian Gutierrez
Brian Gutierrez rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
ComicUI rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Bloody rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Jamie rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Megan Bowers
Megan Bowers rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Stephen A. Rhodes
Stephen A. Rhodes rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Marco rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Nick rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Miriam rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
  • Secret Invasion: Thor
  • Avengers: Endless Wartime
  • Avengers Undercover, Vol. 1: Descent
  • Thor/Loki: Blood Brothers
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Secret Warriors (7 books)
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing