Start by marking “Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast” as Want to Read:
Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast

Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast (Secret Warriors #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Nick Fury quietly moves his forces into place as the war between the armies of LEVIATHAN and the armies of HYDRA kicks into gear. Also, the long-awaited origin of the mysterious HIVE, and we finally find out who the father of STONEWALL is. Collects Secret Warriors #11-15.
Published August 11th 2010 by Marvel (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Warriors, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Warriors, Vol. 3

Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)

This volume is the biggest wind-up of a massive uppercut to the face EVER!

You can just feel it coming. Shit is gonna rain!

Also, Nick Fury is a son of bitch! We already know this...but damn.
Aaron
I can tell Secret Warriors is shaping up to be a series I absolutely love. In this 3rd volume, it really feels like Hickman fully takes the reigns, living in the characters and conspiracies he's created and getting out from under Bendis's shadow. It's starting to feel more like each character is a real person, rather than just an empty vessel with a superpower or a weird Hydra mask.

Also, I love Hickman's writing of Nick Fury. I think it may be the best I've ever seen. Often, Fury is depicted as
Mike
Excellent tale, great intrigue, double-dealing, politics of unsaid or unanswered questions, and a fine unfolding of mysteries within mysteries.

I'll admit, I was skeptical that Hickman would be able to take over from Bendis and deliver a tale as enjoyable and action-packed as we'd been treated to.

Turns out I must've been living under a rock (or perhaps Hickman's reputation has been well-hidden) - I'm enjoying the hell out of this storyline (comparably so to Brubaker's work on Captain America), an
Kenny
I just finished this graphic novel in one sitting this morning while doing my laundry. I am compelled to write a review just before leaving to go to work later this afternoon. Caselli's art suited the mood of the book, especially Nick Fury. His age showed with the couple of days grown of facial hair, and a gruffy look of a serious cold war and post cold war high official intelligence veteran.

Hickman is definitely making the Secret Warriors and Nick Fury's SHIELD and their world, a piece of his o
Pturingan
The series is getting better and better.
Joe Young
Jonathan Hickman - writer
Alessandro Vitti with Gianluca Gugliotta - artists

5/5 stars

H.Y.D.R.A. is a big, secret terrorist organization that is run by a group of super-villains. There's Gorgon, a superhumanly tough ninja whose gaze can turn a person to stone, Baron Strucker, an old, evil nazi super-scientist with a glowing death-hand, Kraken, a mysterious hulk in strange armor whose super-power is "helping people become what they are supposed to be", Hive, a crazy octopus-alien hybrid thing(s?),
Silas
Another super powered espionage tale, with lots of moving pieces and bits of Marvel history thrown in (along with a fair amount of retcon). I'm starting to understand who some of the characters are, at least, and it's interesting to see more of the other side (though some of the artwork is rather silly at times... particularly wherever there are tentacles... never can trust tentacles...). This story looks to be coming to a climax pretty soon, so I am interested to see what happens next.
Andy
Volume 3 of the series is an excellent example of an "Act II". By this, I mean that it is similar to Empire Strikes Back in the Star Wars series. This is where the drama of tensions must be built to where they are almost exploding. Hickman does a good job of doing this. While "Empire" was my favorite movie of the original Star Wars trilogy, Hickman brings so much good stuff to the surface without conclusions. Too many loose threads. else. While surprises abounded, the lack of conclusions in this ...more
Mitchell
Lots of plot elements were explained in this one. Well explained is a strong word. Lot's of plot element details were added. And in the end I found out that I really didn't care. Not about the good guys. Not about the bad guys. Not about any of the teams. Or technology. Just a whole bunch of whatever. Art and text were find but didn't really help.
Craig
Still liking this series a lot. We get some glimpses at the inner workings of Hydra this time out, including the origin of the Cthulhu-like creature that is one of the leaders of the group, and who infects the dead Viper, creating a new Madame Hydra who is part human and part crustacean (yuck!). Now, Leviathan is on the scene and things only get more complicated as the pieces are moved into position for the next collection.
Trey Jackson
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Stefano Caselli is a BEAST! His art was dope. As with volume 2, not sure how accessible this is to non-comics folks or non-espionage fans -- my feeling is it leans too heard on its convoluted plots and double-crosses, but they at least all make sense and they all worked for me. A lot of fun, a big cast of distinctive characters.
Chris
Marvel should insure Hickman's brain with Lloyd's of London the same way 20th Century Fox did with Betty Grable's legs. Not for the sake of profit or Hollywood but to prove they actually had at least one visionary writer working on their print comic books in the 21st century. Marvel does not have a lot of visionary writers working for them.
Andrew Uys
The "Empire Strikes Back" of the SECRET WARRIORS graphic novels, the third volume focuses on Hydra and Leviathan, the two "baddy" evil empires of Nick Fury's shadow war in the Marvel U. Probably my favourite SECRET WARRIORS arc, I just love the weird and wild villains they have controlling these vast terrorist networks. Can you dig it?
Ryan
Great art, great writing, and mounting tenision
George
I like this series, but don't know how long it's going to be around. Give Marvel credit for trying new things, though. This is an espionage comic. So far I've seen a boatload of characters, a cloverleaf worth of plot twists and turns, and lots of build-up. Hopefully it will pay off.
Shannon Appelcline
Another excellent volume. The background on the Hydra leaders is terrific, as is the fact that the main focus of the volume is character drama.
Adam
Aug 16, 2010 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
I wish the colours weren't so muddy, but I really like this book regardless.
Sonic
Lot's of build up.
Lots of Nick Fury Tough talk.
Pretty solid art.
Angela
Fury vs Hydra vs Leviathan. Fun but not as good as the previosu volume.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jonathan McCollum
Jonathan McCollum marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing
  • Sleeper Season Two
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 4: Laws of Attraction
  • The Incredible Hercules: Against The World
  • War of Kings
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 5: Escape from the Eighth City
  • Casanova, Vol. 2: Gula
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Secret Warriors (7 books)
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 2: God of Fear, God of War
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 4: Last Ride of the Howling Commandos
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 5: Night
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 6: Wheels Within Wheels
  • Secret Warriors Omnibus
The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise The Nightly News Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World East of West #1