Start by marking “Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature” as Want to Read:
Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature

Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature

Anyone working to improve the childbearing experience and help women avoid unnecessary intervention has encountered numerous obstetric myths or old doctors' tales. And while the evidence in the medical literature may be solidly, often unequivocably, against whatever the doctor said, without access to that evidence, the pregnant woman is quite reasonably going to follow her ...more
Published February 28th 1995 by Praeger Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities

Heather
Feb 28, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
I might like to buy this someday.

I didn't realize how old it was before I interlibrary-loaned it. It's quite interesting, but funny to read about maternity care research from the 80s.
Travis
Jun 20, 2008 Travis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents to be
Recommended to Travis by: a midwife
This book is amazingly well reseached and anyone who is concerned with how the medical system 'manages' birth or is thinking about birth in a hospial with some concern should read it. It's expensive, but worth every penny.
Jenni Pertuset
Nov 05, 2008 Jenni Pertuset rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I wanted a home birth, my husband thought it'd safer in a hospital -- until we read this. It's a clear, readable presentation of the gap between what research shows is best for mother and baby and the typical medical treatment of labor and birth. (We decided on a birth center).
Sharon
Apr 25, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
What can I say... We (healthcare providers) all know we should be using research based practice. But so much of the time we let the social expections and the old myths about childbirth guide us instead. I would read an updated version of this book today.
Deena Scintilla
May 20, 2009 Deena Scintilla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-health
If more OBs would practice according to the evidence-based research, health care costs would be much less and our infant AND maternal mortality rates would drop.
Dee
Feb 17, 2008 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childbirth
Bianca
Mar 04, 2009 Bianca rated it really liked it
Please, please, for the love of birth, please come out with an update for this book. It is an invaluable resource.
Bekky
Bekky rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2008
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2010
Barbara Vibbert
Barbara Vibbert rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2015
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2007
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2008
Laylah
Laylah rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2016
JoAnne Forsyth
JoAnne Forsyth rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2013
Melissa Kubosh Rhodes
Melissa Kubosh Rhodes rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
e.m. richter
e.m. richter rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2008
Thimoty Dally
Thimoty Dally rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Rivka Cymbalist
Rivka Cymbalist rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Candy Brown
Candy Brown rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2009
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Jenn Crowell
Jenn Crowell rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Mary Hollis
Mary Hollis rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2008
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • Birth as an American Rite of Passage
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • Holistic Midwifery : Care During Pregnancy Vol. 1
  • Homebirth: The Essential Guide to Giving Birth Outside of the Hospital
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
  • Silent Knife: Cesarean Prevention and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • The Doula Advantage: Your Complete Guide to Having An Empowered and Positive Birth With the Help of a Professional Childbirth Assistant
  • A Good Birth, A Safe Birth: Choosing and Having the Childbirth Experience You Want
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America

“Of course, if 40% of women need oxytocin to progress normally, then something is wrong with the definition of normal.” 10 likes