Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)

Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Victoria Trumbull, the ninety-two-year-old poet/sleuth, is back in another entertaining mystery, set in beautiful Martha’s Vineyard.

A mathematical knitters group is working on a coral reef quilt for a competition to draw attention to global warming. When a telephone stalker begins preying on their members, they become terrified and distracted and turn to Victoria Trumbull...more
Published August 17th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Touch-Me-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch-Me-Not

Ivonne Rovira
Cynthia Riggs' Touch-Me-Not will keep you on the edge of your seat as you devour this tale of how easily a man's life can unravel. Unlike with the usual mystery -- whether Riggs' or anyone else's -- you'll know the perpetrator of one of the two mysteries in this book from the very first chapter. What will surprise you is how quickly and how abjectly electrician LeRoy Watts' life spirals out of control. As usual, the uncanny Victoria Trumbull -- the perennially 92-year-old poet, sage, sheriff's d...more
Gwen Mayo
Cynthia Riggs is one of my favorite authors so picking one of the Victoria Trumbull books off the rack is a chance to catch up with old friends. Victoria doesn't disappoint. The perpetual 92-year-old deputy and her quirky friends are wonderful companions on a cold winter day.

I was looking forward to reading Touch-Me-Not and the book does have many strong points. The complex relationship between Victoria and her daughter is great. The murder investigation and stalking subplot were both well writ...more
Consuela
Someone at work gave me this book -- it was a promotional copy. I thought the title sounded like it was a gothic novel, but hey it was free so I started it. I LOVED it! This is a series of books about a wonderful character named Victoria Trumbull. She has lived her whole life on Martha's Vineyard and is an "amateur" detective. I put amateur in quotes because she solves most of the cases on the island. Oh yeah, and she is 92 years old, but it doesn't matter one bit. Her character is charming, res...more
Kathleen
The latest mystery in a series involving a 90+ year old “deputy” assisting the local female police chief continues developing several highly independent, perhaps, non-traditional women characters. These women and their relationships among each other, their determination to live their lives as they choose, draws me to this series for more than the plot. Having said that, the plot surfaces unexpected details (e.g., a quilting group where the quilt design is based on mathematical equations and conc...more
Ken Bickley
Cynthia Riggs' Mary's Vineyard Mysteries just keep on getting better. This one has a new angle, and (as usual) an unexpected twist at the end. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Cute series - wonderful 92 year old sleuth with common sense in every fiber of her being.
Kari
A mathematical knitting group that meets at the library is making a quilt of the local coral reef for a national contest. Local electrician Jerry Watts shoots his assistant with a Taser, accidentally killing him. He covers up, hiding the body in the book sale warehouse at the library (his wife is on the library board). Several of the women in the knitting group admit to receiving calls from a heavy breather - creepy. Then another body turns up....Not a quiet spring on Martha's Vineyard for 92-ye...more
Leslie
Another great mystery with Victoria solving it all. Knitting, electricity & the library are key elements. Touch-me-not must be a northern plant; in the south I think you just suffer when you get into poison ivy.
Ann
This is a really fun series. I have read a lot of cozies in my time but this detective is over the top. Victoria Turnbull is 92 years old and a deputy sheriff on Martha's Vineyard. There is a murder very early in the story and Victoria is assisting the town's chief of police in solving that. There is a stalker making phone calls to some of the town's residents and then another murder has people lining up to confess. It is a fun story and I will definitely read more Victoria Turnbull stories.
Grey853
Susan
Druggie Jerry Sparks is determined to get his job as an electrician back, but his boss, LeRoy Watts, is equally determined to have nothing to do with the younger man. Meanwhile, elderly Victoria Trumbull, living happily with her granddaughter, is afraid that her daughter plans to visit and interfere with her active, busy life. Riggs has some nice plot twists with which to surprise readers in this gentle cozy.
Barb
I was all ready to give this book one or maybe two stars but the last few chapters got really exciting. It's a simple mystery -- good for reading in short spurts while waiting in the car, at the dentist, etc. Be patient with it though -- it is not what it seems.
Anita
Oct 12, 2012 Anita added it
Recommends it for: any one interested in Nancy Drew Mystery's.
Recommended to Anita by: no one
Seriously a 92 yr old woman a Police Detective? That factor just blows my mind let alone how the characters are just that, characters. Really it seems a little comical of how one incident happening brings on another & another & so on. It's like a domino effect.
Mary
She does have many twists and turns in the plot and good descriptions. I do like the protagonist, elderly Victoria Trumbull, but her police chief partner is not too believable. It is entertaining to a degree that I keep reading to solve the mystery.
I love Riggs and this series, but this was not my favorite. Victoria still intrigues and I love the Vineyard setting. While the stalking theme was topical, I wasn't as engaged as I have been with past mysteries.
Joann Williams
As always Cynthia Riggs is always ready to take you on an unexpected journey. Having visited Martha's Vineyard I love her descriptions of the surrounding. Always hate to see the end and it will always hold a twist.
Ruth
I like Victoria Trumbell who is the deputy police chief for the town of West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard. She is a feisty lady of advancing years, very Miss Marple-like!
Theresa
Not as good as the other Martha's Vineyard series I've read but that author passed away so I thought I might have found another - no such luck. Just not all that interesting.
Susan
Not great. The charm of this series is the wonderful Victoria Trumbull, who is practically a supporting player in this story. Nothing held my interest.
Brenda Kirton
Good storyline. Although I guessed the second killer way to early but not for the right reasons. I didn't enjoy the first killer's viewpoint and much though.
While other books in this series were fun reads, this one annoyed me to no end. Repetitive, cloying, and without spunk. Oy!
Basia Barbara
My favorite series, probably because I live on Martha's Vineyard and can recognize some of the island people.
Julia
Really enjoying this series. Interesting info on Martha's vineyard is nice also. Story moves quickly along.
Carol Heiss
Excellent mystery revealing the many faces of stalking---even on a close-knit island
Patti
Nice and easy who done it... One I can read watching lily and Maggie swimming
lynn
i won't even write what it is about as it's not worth reading!!!
Bernetta F
This was a good book I really enjoyed it.
Dale
Sep 30, 2010 Dale added it
Good solid story I love the setting and Victoria
Jen
Just too implausable for me.
love the botanical references!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am...more
More about Cynthia Riggs...
Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1) The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2) The Cemetery Yew The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5) Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)