Start by marking “Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)

Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)

Victoria Trumbull, the ninety-two-year-old poet/sleuth, is back in another entertaining mystery, set in beautiful Martha's Vineyard.

A mathematical knitters group is working on a coral reef quilt for a competition to draw attention to global warming. When a telephone stalker begins preying on their members, they become terrified and distracted and turn to Victoria Trumbull
Published August 17th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Touch-Me-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch-Me-Not

Nan
Mar 18, 2017 Nan rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, mystery-cozy
Ok, Library claiming that I ruined it & trying to charge me. grr.
Sherry
Oct 10, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing
As good as always! The beauty of the island & a great story!
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 30, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Riggs' Touch-Me-Not will keep you on the edge of your seat as you devour this tale of how easily a man's life can unravel. Unlike with the usual mystery -- whether Riggs' or anyone else's -- you'll know the perpetrator of one of the two mysteries in this book from the very first chapter. What will surprise you is how quickly and how abjectly electrician LeRoy Watts' life spirals out of control. As usual, the uncanny Victoria Trumbull -- the perennially 92-year-old poet, sage, sheriff's d ...more
Kristen
Dec 07, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2015
In Cynthia Riggs's Touch-Me-Not, the 9th installment in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series, you'll be enchanted and intrigued into this fast-paced mystery. For 92-year-old Police Deputy Victoria Trumbull, there was nothing she couldn't do. While she loved gardening her flowers on the beautiful island of Martha's Vineyard, she loved having her granddaughter in her home. But first, she dealt with a electrical outlet in her inn and then having to solve two connected murders. LeRoy Watts had a ter ...more
Gwen Mayo
Cynthia Riggs is one of my favorite authors so picking one of the Victoria Trumbull books off the rack is a chance to catch up with old friends. Victoria doesn't disappoint. The perpetual 92-year-old deputy and her quirky friends are wonderful companions on a cold winter day.

I was looking forward to reading Touch-Me-Not and the book does have many strong points. The complex relationship between Victoria and her daughter is great. The murder investigation and stalking subplot were both well writ
Leslie
Sep 03, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it
A pleasant read, as all of Cynthia Riggs's Martha Vineyard books are; they've become a bit of a tradition for me, as I generally read one of her books towards the end of the summer. I think the world of Riggs and Victoria Trumbell--a ninety-two-year-old poet and sheriff's deputy (!)--is one of my favorite fictional characters, but the real star here is the Vineyard, and I enjoy visiting with Victoria and the Vineyard.

This book was sadly marred by insufficient editing and proofreading. I found a
Lori
Aug 16, 2015 Lori rated it liked it
I bought this book on the way to Martha's Vineyard because it takes place there and involved a bunch of obsessive knitters. I thought it would be fun. When I first started reading it and learned that the two electricians in town were named Watts and Sparks, I thought I was in trouble and that I would hate the book. But as the story developed, I became really interested. It was a simplistic story but had many twists and turns and I loved the characters and the descriptions of the location. So my ...more
Kathleen
Dec 27, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The latest mystery in a series involving a 90+ year old “deputy” assisting the local female police chief continues developing several highly independent, perhaps, non-traditional women characters. These women and their relationships among each other, their determination to live their lives as they choose, draws me to this series for more than the plot. Having said that, the plot surfaces unexpected details (e.g., a quilting group where the quilt design is based on mathematical equations and conc ...more
Consuela
Jun 01, 2011 Consuela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone at work gave me this book -- it was a promotional copy. I thought the title sounded like it was a gothic novel, but hey it was free so I started it. I LOVED it! This is a series of books about a wonderful character named Victoria Trumbull. She has lived her whole life on Martha's Vineyard and is an "amateur" detective. I put amateur in quotes because she solves most of the cases on the island. Oh yeah, and she is 92 years old, but it doesn't matter one bit. Her character is charming, res ...more
Ann
Oct 07, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
This is a really fun series. I have read a lot of cozies in my time but this detective is over the top. Victoria Turnbull is 92 years old and a deputy sheriff on Martha's Vineyard. There is a murder very early in the story and Victoria is assisting the town's chief of police in solving that. There is a stalker making phone calls to some of the town's residents and then another murder has people lining up to confess. It is a fun story and I will definitely read more Victoria Turnbull stories.
Kari
Apr 30, 2013 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
A mathematical knitting group that meets at the library is making a quilt of the local coral reef for a national contest. Local electrician Jerry Watts shoots his assistant with a Taser, accidentally killing him. He covers up, hiding the body in the book sale warehouse at the library (his wife is on the library board). Several of the women in the knitting group admit to receiving calls from a heavy breather - creepy. Then another body turns up....Not a quiet spring on Martha's Vineyard for 92-ye ...more
Susan
Dec 05, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Druggie Jerry Sparks is determined to get his job as an electrician back, but his boss, LeRoy Watts, is equally determined to have nothing to do with the younger man. Meanwhile, elderly Victoria Trumbull, living happily with her granddaughter, is afraid that her daughter plans to visit and interfere with her active, busy life. Riggs has some nice plot twists with which to surprise readers in this gentle cozy.
Grey853
Sep 16, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Mary
May 03, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She does have many twists and turns in the plot and good descriptions. I do like the protagonist, elderly Victoria Trumbull, but her police chief partner is not too believable. It is entertaining to a degree that I keep reading to solve the mystery.
Anita
Oct 10, 2012 Anita added it
Recommends it for: any one interested in Nancy Drew Mystery's.
Recommended to Anita by: no one
Seriously a 92 yr old woman a Police Detective? That factor just blows my mind let alone how the characters are just that, characters. Really it seems a little comical of how one incident happening brings on another & another & so on. It's like a domino effect.
Aug 26, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
I love Riggs and this series, but this was not my favorite. Victoria still intrigues and I love the Vineyard setting. While the stalking theme was topical, I wasn't as engaged as I have been with past mysteries.
Leslie
Jun 14, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Another great mystery with Victoria solving it all. Knitting, electricity & the library are key elements. Touch-me-not must be a northern plant; in the south I think you just suffer when you get into poison ivy.
Barb
Sep 17, 2010 Barb rated it liked it
I was all ready to give this book one or maybe two stars but the last few chapters got really exciting. It's a simple mystery -- good for reading in short spurts while waiting in the car, at the dentist, etc. Be patient with it though -- it is not what it seems.
Joann Williams
Sep 24, 2010 Joann Williams rated it really liked it
As always Cynthia Riggs is always ready to take you on an unexpected journey. Having visited Martha's Vineyard I love her descriptions of the surrounding. Always hate to see the end and it will always hold a twist.
Susan
Mar 11, 2011 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not great. The charm of this series is the wonderful Victoria Trumbull, who is practically a supporting player in this story. Nothing held my interest.
Ken Bickley
Feb 19, 2014 Ken Bickley rated it really liked it
Cynthia Riggs' Mary's Vineyard Mysteries just keep on getting better. This one has a new angle, and (as usual) an unexpected twist at the end. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Aug 01, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Cute series - wonderful 92 year old sleuth with common sense in every fiber of her being.
Val
Jun 27, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
Another great Victoria Trumbull mystery. This time there is a stalker of young women.
Dale
Sep 30, 2010 Dale added it
Good solid story I love the setting and Victoria
Brenda Kirton
Nov 26, 2011 Brenda Kirton rated it really liked it
Good storyline. Although I guessed the second killer way to early but not for the right reasons. I didn't enjoy the first killer's viewpoint and much though.
Madelyn
May 24, 2015 Madelyn rated it liked it
Victoria Trumbull, 92-year-old sleuth again helps sole a crime. There is a surprising ending and the book keeps one guessing about the outcome.
Patti Barber
Jun 23, 2011 Patti Barber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Nice and easy who done it... One I can read watching lily and Maggie swimming
Ruth
Oct 12, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
I like Victoria Trumbell who is the deputy police chief for the town of West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard. She is a feisty lady of advancing years, very Miss Marple-like!
Feb 27, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
While other books in this series were fun reads, this one annoyed me to no end. Repetitive, cloying, and without spunk. Oy!
Sharneel
Sep 25, 2010 Sharneel rated it it was ok
Entertaining, easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Idiot: Beating "The Curse" and Enjoying the Game of Life
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • Extra Credit (A Murder 101 Mystery, #7)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate
  • Island Boy
  • Men and Gods: Myths and Legends of the Ancient Greeks‎
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Emily
  • Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)
  • Malled to Death (A Mall Cop Mystery, #3)
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • Nickeled-and-Dimed to Death (Devereaux's Dime Store Mystery, #2)
  • Murder under Cover (Bibliophile Mystery #4)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #7)
  • Christmas Books: A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life, The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting Star (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #7)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Poison Ivy (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)