Start by marking “Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener” as Want to Read:
Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener

Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sinister Resonance begins with the premise that sound is a haunting, a ghost, a presence whose location is ambiguous and whose existence is transitory. The intangibility of sound is uncanny – a phenomenal presence in the head, at its point of source and all around. The close listener is like a medium who draws out substance from that which is not entirely there.

The history
Published by Continuum International Publishing Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sinister Resonance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinister Resonance

Richard Sanford
Not quite as strong as Toop's earlier books - but considering he's written some of my top 10 books about music ever, Haunted Weather, Exotica and Ocean of Sounds - that's not half bad. A look at how we depict and understand sound, but more about what we know and try to express about *listening*. The subtitle refers to how what we hear actually haunts and inhabits us.

Drawing Seurat and Man Ray, Virginia Woolf and Joyce, Wilkie Collins and Po Chiu-i, the sources get away once in a while but even t
Tara Brabazon
David Toop is simply one of the finest writers in sonic media. This book is beautifully written and equal to his earlier influential monographs. For those interested in models and theories of listening, this book is a fine foundation for scholarship.
Colin Masso
This book goes to great lengths to extract the resonance from silent objects, like books and paintings, and does so admirably. It gave me a new way of hearing things that make so sound at all, which will likely only make sense to you if you read the book. I liked Ocean of Sound better, but am still really glad that I read this book. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking how I wished I had read it while I was still a theatrical sound designer, and how much differently I would have appr ...more
Neil Dewhurst
An intriguing foray into sound, noise, music, and silence. Early chapters taking in the occasionally sinister nature of sound and hearing, as subjectively experienced by the listener, particularly when contrasted with sight (seeing is believing, after all) lead into some interesting discussion of sound and noises in art.

My interest wasn't entirley sustained through to the end, but there are still several nuggets in the last part of the book, such as the impossibility of true silence.
Michael
Oct 22, 2011 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror writers
Shelves: uncanny
Toop likes to riff on lists of examples -- it's a very academic book -- yet I'm inspired by his emphasis on the weirdness of sound and the way it carries a sinister subtext. I'm getting ideas from this book for my horror fiction. A good read.
gdg
Feb 20, 2012 gdg marked it as to-read
I enjoyed the beginning of this book and then got bored. Perhaps I will go back to it one day but I suspect not...

Too bad for me.
Nr
Nr marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Wei Yu
Wei Yu marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
John Alderman
John Alderman marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Humza
Humza marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Cecilia Ann
Cecilia Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
David Thompson
David Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Parrish Lantern
Parrish Lantern marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Charlotte Wennström
Charlotte Wennström marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Brandon Tay
Brandon Tay is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Gal
Gal marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds Haunted Weather: Music, Silence and Memory Exotica: Fabricated Soundscapes in a Real World Rap Attack 3: From African Jive to Global Hip-hop Rap Attack 2