Start by marking “Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey (Modern Library)” as Want to Read:
Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey (Modern Library)

Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey (Modern Library)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Tristram Shandy provoked a literary sensation when it first appeared in a series of installments between 1759 and 1767. The ribald, high-spirited book prompted Diderot to hail Sterne as 'the English Rabelais.' An ingeniously structured novel (about writing a novel) that fascinates like a verbal game of chess, Tristram Shandy is both a joyful celebration of the infinite pos ...more
Published February 10th 1995 by Modern Library (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tristram Shandy and A Sentimental Journey

Judy
Dec 14, 2011 Judy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The physical book disintegrated, so we got the electronic version. The narrative is rambling, the several speakers hard to tease out, the punctuation a chore to modern readers. Sterne uses and mocks various methods of discourse in propelling his narrator's tale, with many side trips. There are jokes, word play, address to the reader(s), and asides. At the moment half the book is read, and the narrator has not actually appeared in the story, other than by inference regarding construction of an ap ...more
Lee Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I don't know what to make of this one. It's all over the place. It's less a novel than one long parlor joke. “Where was I wounded, madam?” It's more humorous than funny. It's slow and pretty weird. Would leisurely be a better word? The humor is mostly farce. It was undoubtedly daring and rather fresh at the time but is now a bit stale. I find most classics are like that. Tristram himself is more of a foil for the real stars of the novel, Uncle Toby and Trim. The monologue in defense of Toby's Ho ...more
Nov 03, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: great_books
It was super hard to follow. I'm
Not sure why it's a great book except that it does have interesting scenes of marriage and communication with particularly the birth arrangements, and how to make decisions together.
Yvonne Bastian
Dec 02, 2015 Yvonne Bastian rated it really liked it
Weirdly odd book, an autobiography of sorts, but quite abstract and hard to follow in places. Random pages are either blank, black or strange blobs. Once you get going it alright but still very odd.
Big Al Walrus
Jun 22, 2016 Big Al Walrus rated it it was ok
Rambling, long, disjointed and difficult to follow. Not an enjoyable read. Listed is number 58 on the list of Greatest Novels of All Time. Why?
tinebeest
Jun 19, 2016 tinebeest rated it it was amazing
Highly entertaining, loved it- even if I had to take breaks because it sometimes gets so overwhelming in detail and deviations.
Sandra
Mar 07, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: fachprüfung-2
Way ahead of it's time. Especially loved chapter 19 of the last book, which basically is a blank page ; ).
Christopher Miller
Jul 23, 2009 Christopher Miller rated it liked it
Recommends it for: only to English novel specialists
Recommended to Christopher by: required for course in English novel
This book nearly drove me crazy when I read it in college back in the mid-60's. I have a love-hate realtionship with it. Considering that Sterne used the device of stream-of-consciousness narration a couple of hundred years before it was invented, it's pretty amazing. Compare his technique with Virginia Woolf's "Orlando" and you'll be surprised how "comtemporary" it is, despite the archaic style of language. Not an easy read, however.
If you want to read something form thjis period that is more a
Joanna
Mar 12, 2014 Joanna rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ever written. A diatribe on life.
Brian
Jan 04, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
I really like the concept of this: a fake autobiography in which the titular character is only "onstage" for about 40 pages. The whole story is about the detours and tangents. There were some hilarious moments, but I found myself growing impatient with some of the characters' antics.
John
May 02, 2012 John added it
I'm just getting started on the 1940 version, edited by James A Work. This is a really complete study edition with cool essays and background on Sterne, the 18th C and the book. I'm getting a pretty good feel with this edition, glad I happened on to it.
Peter
Mar 29, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing
I don't care what you've read. You can't call yourself a literary snob until you've conquered this beast. (By the way, the movie that recently was made of this is surprisingly worth it. But don't watch it until you've read the book!!!)
Lon Michael
Jan 07, 2013 Lon Michael rated it did not like it
Most awful part of my required reading as an English major. Really not worth your time unless you want to somehow brag about having read it.
Ruth
Jul 14, 2008 Ruth added it
Not ashamed to admit that I didn't understand this one. At all. Wonder if I would understand it better if I read it now.
Karen Hogan
Jul 28, 2015 Karen Hogan rated it did not like it
I have to be in the right mood to read the flowery, long-winded writing from the 1700's, but I couldnt do it this time.
Barbara
Sep 24, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
A post-modern novel (one whole page is black) in the 18th century.
Andrew
Jul 06, 2009 Andrew marked it as to-read
Two books I very much want to read in the same volume? I'm there!
Guy
Mar 24, 2008 Guy rated it it was amazing
Language is a bit hard to get into, but it's altogether awesome.
Fay
Apr 07, 2008 Fay rated it it was ok
using the word "read" loosely here.
Aaron
May 22, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing
[whoah:]
Lucas
Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jake McCrary
Jake McCrary marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Gsm235
Gsm235 added it
Jun 17, 2016
Pilar GO
Pilar GO marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Sarah Wiebusch
Sarah Wiebusch marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
S. Mehdi
S. Mehdi rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Trisha Niermeyer Potter
Trisha Niermeyer Potter rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
  • 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel
  • Prisoner's Dilemma
  • Complete Novels: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter / Reflections in a Golden Eye / The Ballad of the Sad Cafe / The Member of the Wedding / Clock Without Hands
  • The Complete Novels
  • The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
  • The Complete Tales of Nikolai Gogol, Volume 1
  • The Man of Feeling
  • Ormond
  • The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
  • The Essential Tales of Chekhov
  • The Land That Never Was: Sir Gregor MacGregor and the Most Audacious Fraud in History
  • Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  • The Vanity of Human Wishes
  • The Artist as Critic: Critical Writings of Oscar Wilde
  • Collected Essays
  • An Ethiopian Romance
  • Works of Alexander Pope
  • Get Your War on
Laurence Sterne was an Irish-born English novelist and an Anglican clergyman. He is best known for his novels The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, and A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy; but he also published many sermons, wrote memoirs, and was involved in local politics. Sterne died in London after years of fighting consumption (tuberculosis).