Start by marking “Thirteen Days to Midnight” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  3,562 Ratings  ·  525 Reviews
You are indestructible. Three whispered words transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding that changes everything. At first, Jacob is hesitant to use the power, unsure of its implications. But there's something addictive about testing the limits of fear.

Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save o
Published April 12th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Days to Midnight, please sign up.

stanley at first i thought it was terrible but after a while i enjoyed it and the ending was a crazy twist and i loved it but you know its only good if your…moreat first i thought it was terrible but after a while i enjoyed it and the ending was a crazy twist and i loved it but you know its only good if your like... 10-14 yrs old(less)

Mario
Apr 20, 2015 Mario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you could have only one superpower, what would it be?

This is how the novel started. And it grabbed my attention there, at the very first sentence. And it didn't let go until the very last.

This is a story about Jacob Fielding, a guy who finds out that he has a superpower(s): invincibility and immortality. Cool, right? Well, not so much. After some time he finds out that having a superpower isn't as cool as it seems. And that is because... wait for it...

(so cheesy, I know)

But, all jokes aside,
Shanan
Apr 05, 2011 Shanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-on-blog
In A Nutshell:
This book is not the type I normally read, but I picked it up on the recommendation of a good friend. I am so glad I read Thirteen Days To Midnight. It had action and suspense—I could not put it down. When I was done, I stared at the book and felt as though I had just stepped off a roller coaster.

Review:
“If you could have only one superpower, what would it be?” (p. 3).

This intriguing question frames this story where three words whispered between friends can change every aspect of
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I was so disappointed with this book. The whole thing seemed a little unfocused and a bit random. The whole book just dragged on from start to finish. Jacob finds out that he has a superpower and so he and his two friends, Milo and Ophelia (Oh), decide to play with it and see how far it can take them. Pretty much the whole book consisted of these teenagers harming themselves to see if they can become injured whilst they have the power. After that, they decide to try and save a couple of people b ...more
Catherine ♡
The premise behind this was super interesting, but the writing style was a little hard to get into, and the characters were hard to connect with. Overall, the pacing was a little slow, and I feel like I only understood tidbits of the actual story because of how detached everything seemed.
Nicole

This book was clearly not my usual style. It started really slow. It was really boring. The writing was okay most of the time, but the characters were a disaster.

And I'll tell you why. See we have this 3 kids immature teenagers with this supernatural power. Jacob, a boy, who preferred a girl over his best friend. He only knows her like for twelve days and he's falling for her. Funny I know. And she's crazy.
I didn't like Oh (Ophelia) at all. Maybe she kinda made sense toward the end of the book,

Shawnasea
Aug 18, 2010 Shawnasea rated it did not like it
Ugh. I finished it.. but it took a lot out of me to keep going. It's just really not very good. The writing is pretty awful. The dialogue is worse, and the plot doesn't really work. Not to mention the oh-so-stellar character development that had me immediately invested in these oh-so-believable characters. blegh. Yeah, really.. THAT bad. I only kept reading because the premise was interesting and I kept telling myself, "Surely, if it's published, it needs to have SOME redeeming quality??" yeah.. ...more
H
Jan 04, 2012 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superpowers
This was reaaaallll dark. A wee bit creepy-ish, a wee bit chilling, but mostly dark. Thank goodness it wasn't that long or too elaborate, because I don't know how much I would be able to handle. The tension in the book was impeccable. It keeps the story perpetually moving, it keeps you compelled to want to read more. A little violent, but bearable.

When I first started the book, I didn't really know what to expect. Okay, I expected the book to be dark (come on, the cover page, the number "thirtee
Thomas
Jul 21, 2010 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Thirteen Days to Midnight had the potential to be a mind-blowing read, but did not deliver in terms of plot or character. It was just okay.

Jacob Fielding was an ordinary teen until one night, he and his foster father collide with a tree. His father whispers the words "You are indestructible" to Jacob before passing away. After the accident Jacob discovers he has the power of being literally indestructible - nothing can hurt him or kill him, not even a burning flame. He and his best friend Milo m
Anne

Did you ever feel weird after reading a book? I mean, in a not-so-good way? Because uh.. that's what I felt after reading this book. I read in one-sitting but I just... WTF HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS!!!!

First point: WHERE THE HELL ARE THE PARENTS? Seriously? Why are they letting their stupid children go do stupid things?

Second point: The characters. I like the main character. The best friend was pretty cool too. The girl was just plain annoying. But they all have one thing in common: they're all stu
Jul 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I wasn't expecting much and I got what I expected. This was an interesting concept, a little underdeveloped. The characters were immature and predictable. I would have probably enjoyed this more if I'd have read it as a teenager.
bird
Dec 17, 2012 bird rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of three sixteen/fifteen year olds who discover that the MC has the power of "invincibility" and my nine year old brother has a higher maturity level then Stupid One, Stupid Two, and Stupid Three.

I didn't get this book. I didn't get it one little bit. I wanted to get it. I mean it involves Death. It sounded deliciously weird and awesome.

And it wasn't. -_-

What I got instead was a story filled with thirteen days of: parents or parent figures letting Stupid One, Stupid Two, a
Rose
"Thirteen Days to Midnight" is a thrilling, intuitive look about how much having too much power without exploring its limitations can have dire consequences. Jacob Fielding is a fifteen year old who's in the aftermath of healing from the unexpected and tragic death of his guardian. Returning to his private school, he deals with his best friend Milo, his rival Ethan, and a new girl that completely attracts him in looks and demeanor (Orphelia, a.k.a Oh).

Things become complicated when Jacob reveals
Dayla
This review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

Thirteen Days to Midnight, by Patrick Carman is a young adult novel that follows orphan Jacob Fielding after his guardian's death and the legacy that is left for him. The premise of this novel is what drew me in since I was curious to see what Jacob experiences and his apparent connection with death. While Carman introduces his character in a pretty neat way, his story wasn't what I was anticipating.

"You are indestructible. Three whispered
~Tina~
Mar 03, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
...Jacob Fielding didn't want any powers, nor did he even know that his foster dad even had it. One fateful day, there was a car accident. The last thing Jacob's dad said to him was You are indestructible before the car hit the tree and he died...and Jacob lived.
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Jacob Fielding sure as hell wouldn't have picked this one...

Thirteen Days to Midnight is a fascinating, thought provoking story, that i
Katie
Apr 17, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tammie
3.5 stars. The following tag line is what drew me to this book:

Thirteen Days to Midnight was rather thought provoking, definitely a far cry from Patrick Carman’s Land of Elyon series. It had elements of Unbreakable and Final Destination.

At first Jacob doesn’t really want to use this new power he’s been given, but eventually Ophelia (Oh for short), the new girl in town, whom he
Chris
I thought I would like this book a lot more than I did. Jacob Fielding survives a car crash that kills his foster father. Just before the crash his gaurdian turns to Jacob and says, "You are indestructable." And he is. Not only does he have the power to beat the Grim Reaper, his has the ability to pass it to someone else, protecting them, although he becomes vulnerable in the process. When he and his friends Milo and Ophelia (Oh) discover this, they set about trying to save others. The "force" t ...more
Jordan Fernandez
It was alright. It felt to me like it was building up the whole time for nothing. The idea was cool, but I kind of thought he'd be going on this mission to see why he was indestructable and find out he had some superpower, but this wasn't the case. It was more him saving people and seeing what limits it had the entire time, and it never quite took off for me. There was also aspects that seemed really rushed and underdeveloped to the point of half-done, like Jacob and Ophelia's relationship. It s ...more
K
Apr 28, 2010 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I liked Jacob as the lead in this book; his friendship with Milo, his memories of Mr. Fielding, and his life as a teen dropped into a Catholic school living in a church house full of priests. I was pretty intrigued with the whole mysterious superpower bit. I even appreciated the Pacific Northwest setting. But I *could not* stand Oh. Even before there was an explanation for her dark behavior, she was a creepy chick. The prevailing thought I had throughout her interactions with Jacob was an incred ...more
Emma
Jul 01, 2013 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, average
I really liked the premise for this book, but once the plot actually got into action, it was a little disappointing. To me, Oh was unlikable from the start and it was pretty obvious (view spoiler) I found it hard to sympathize with her which got in the way of my enjoyment of the book as a whole. I liked the best friend and the ministers were pretty cool, but the plot was pretty dull until the end and even then it's a little all over the pl ...more
Jazzy
Jan 23, 2014 Jazzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ending was a bit confusing but other than that a really really good book! (:
Eric Kneisler
Oct 21, 2014 Eric Kneisler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Patrick Carman
Genre: Science Fiction/fantasy

I liked reading this book. It has an interesting story line. There were funny things, sad things, and scary things that happened. It had a lot of adventure and suspense, too.

Setting: Salem, Oregon, a Catholic high school, Coffin Books library (Milo's dad's store) The setting of the rainy streets of Salem made the story more creepy and made characters seem more remote and alone.

Characters:
Jacob Fielding - foster child, na
Dalila
Mar 30, 2015 Dalila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like books that involved people who have superpowers in it and have to make hard choices? Well if you do this is the book for you. This book is fiction.

This book is about a kid named Jacob Fielding He thinks he's somewhat different then others. He realizes he has gotten a curse from his father after they get into a terrible car crash.His father dies but Jacob lives somehow because he has to power to live through out anything that can hurt him. Jacob goes to this Holy cross school to live
Aju
Apr 08, 2015 Aju rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Aju by: found it in the libary

If preternatural capability were not the field of science-fiction,what would you want your ability to be? Here is the catch you only can have one power.Jacob Fielding is your typical guy but he has a revolutionary power that got transferred to him.You are indestructible, that was the last word Jacob's father said to him but what Jacob didn't know at the time is the that same phrase would turn his world upside down.

Jacob's friend Milo has a friendship with Ophelia James AKA Oh a new arrival t
Cara (Chasing Words)
Thirteen Days to Midnight is, in one word, incredible.

The story opens with our protag., Jacob, returning to his private school, Holy Cross, after a week long break due to a traumatic event. A few pages after this scene I realized that my eyes were glued to the novel and weren't, not even for sleep, going anywhere. Carman's characters draw you in and the intensity of the plot keeps you there.

The adventure Jacob, Milo, & Oh find themselves 'dragged' into is dangerous in the way that motorcycl
Meagan Wadden
Dec 05, 2013 Meagan Wadden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a boy named Jacob and he finds out when his foster dad, Mr. Fielding died he transferred a super power to Jacob. Invincibility. He and his friend Milo meet the new girl at school: Oh, and they try to figure out the power together throughout the book; where did it come from? Why did Jacob have it? What exactly could it do? And to what extreme. Then Oh suggests they use to power to save other people other then them; after each life they save the power grows stronger but they do ...more
Chelsey
Meh.
Well this book was alright. It had a really interesting premise about superpowers and what you do if you had the ability to save people. There were a lot of deep questions that were explored about playing God and yada yada yada.
So why the lack of enthusiasm? It could be because it is 1 AM and I am literally a zombie right now……. it's been one of those nights when I'm up reading…. not because the book was so good but because I wanted to finish it. Not the most positive thing to say in a
Ryan Zani
Apr 06, 2011 Ryan Zani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plot: Jacobs father who adopted him at age 12 just died in a car crash with Jacob driving right before the crash Jacobs father tells Jacob these words "You are indestructible". Jacobs best friend Milo introduces him to a girl her name is Ophelia. They call her Oh and it is love at first sight Oh asks Jacob to sign her cast and Jacob signs "you are indestructible" and Oh gets into a long boarding accident that should have killed her but she got up without a scratch on her and they set off to find ...more
Alexis Villalobos
Feb 25, 2013 Alexis Villalobos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen Days to Midnight is a book filled with action, suspense, love, supernatural powers,etc. I really love how he starts off with an simple question:"If you could have one super power, what would it be?" After that little question, he runs with it. The book starts with Jacob who is returning to Holy Cross. His friend,Milo,is trying to get Jacob in the swing of things.once Milo tells Jacob about the new girl in town, he is hooked. He meets Ophelia James, a daring and beautiful girl. It first ...more
Danny
Dec 13, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just recently finished the book Thirteen Days To Midnight, and I must say it kept we awake all night even though I did not have to do so. It is a book you read through the eyes of a teenage boy who has a hidden secret. I connected well to the book and I believe that many other people will be able to do so as well. The main Characters name is Jacob, and he has spent most of his time moving from foster house to foster house, until he met Mr. Fielding. He settled down with him and met Milo, ...more
  • God Is in the Pancakes
  • Lola
  • Beanball
  • The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin
  • Brutal
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • Everything Is Fine.
  • Z. Rex
  • Strings Attached
  • Such Wicked Intent (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #2)
  • Ten Things I Hate About Me
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Newes from the Dead
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
More about Patrick Carman...

“Faith never stays put. It's always challenging always questioning. That's what makes it real.” 28 likes
“The Grim Reaper doesn't disappear... he catches up.” 20 likes