Start by marking “The Seagull Reader: Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Seagull Reader: Fiction

The Seagull Reader: Fiction

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
W. W. Norton proudly announces the Seagull Readers, a new collection of the most frequently taught stories. Ideal for genre or introductory literature courses, the Seagull Readers offer a compact and affordable alternative to larger anthologies. Each volume includes a wide selection of both classic and contemporary works, as well as a thorough introduction to each genre an ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Seagull Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seagull Reader

Frederick
I have had a number of customers request one or another SEAGULL READER. Finally, I noticed that the store was returning THE SEAGULL READER: STORIES. Thinking this was a shame, I decided to buy one. I'm glad I did. It is what it says it is: An anthology "lightly supplemented by editorial apparatus."
These are pretty famous stories, but the introduction, biographical sketches and glossary are unique in that they are to-the-point, informative and, somehow, fresh. His introduction concludes with a li
Crystal
Aug 06, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Wow, what a mix of authors and stories! Of the 29, the best in my opinion, Stephen Crane's The Open Boat; Tillie Olsen's I Stand Here Ironing; Alice Walker's Everyday Use; and Updike's A&P. And the worst ... James Joyce's Araby and Chinua Achebe's Uncle Ben's Choice. More than some stories in this collection nearly made me ill - so violent, dark and too realistic! It is interesting to wonder what makes people tick, how they create such things. Especially Charlotte Perkins Gilman and her The ...more
Tiffiane
Jul 26, 2012 Tiffiane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
I had to read 25 short stories from this book for my LIT class. Most were amazing and some were totally confusing. It's different learning how to read something with an analytical mind, instead of just for enjoyment. I understand why my teacher chose this book, because the stories all provoke higher level thinking. You have to think outside the box to understand some of them. Of the stories I read, the 2 most profound for me were Cathedral and Hills Like White Elephants. I highly recommend them.
Katy
May 16, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Classic, oft-anthologized stories which are good for upcoming fiction writers. Some of my favorites are "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," Sherman Alexie; "The Yellow Wallpaper," Charlotte Perkins Gilman; "Hills Like White Elephants," Ernest Hemingway; "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been," Joyce Carol Oates; and "A&P," John Updike.
Larry
Jul 07, 2012 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently compared a handful of textbooks winnowed down from a much larger list for an Intro to Fiction class. This one did make the final cut. Not bad, but like many collections of this sort too many 'iconic'/'canonic' stories and too few surprises.

Pluses are the clean design (easy on the eyes) and relatively affordable price.
Morgan
Nov 26, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read most of the stories in this thing. I wasn't particularly impressed, honestly. I guess this just isn't the format style for me. A lot of the stories weren't that interesting to me 'Classics' maybe but really, had I not been assigned to read them I wouldn't have read them.
Kate
Jun 08, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of short stories that isn't too large (like so many anthologies). It has a nice range of stories and authors, and also includes a short paragraph intro to each. It would be great for using in high school classrooms.
Noelle
Mar 13, 2015 Noelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great combination of short stories. A really handy tool for an English Major as most of these stories are often mentioned in other works.
April
Sep 06, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: required-reading
This book was assigned for my comp class, and I've kept it. I like to take it off the shelf and peruse through it.
Maddy
Dec 30, 2009 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Some were fabulous, some weren't, some were the 'necessary' classics.
Beverly
May 03, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Ponderous and entertaining stories.
Kevin Gallan
Oct 10, 2010 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
35/360
Jenifer
Jenifer is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Martha Barragan
Martha Barragan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Rosy
Rosy added it
Feb 05, 2016
Rebecca Tulloch
Rebecca Tulloch marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Jan 14, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Jason Covell
Jason Covell rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
McMakin
McMakin rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Loren Edwards-thompson
Loren Edwards-thompson is currently reading it
Abby Kelley
Abby Kelley is currently reading it
Ahtiya Liles
Ahtiya Liles marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015