Start by marking “The Seagull Reader: Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Seagull Reader: Fiction

The Seagull Reader: Fiction

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  11 reviews
W. W. Norton proudly announces the Seagull Readers, a new collection of the most frequently taught stories. Ideal for genre or introductory literature courses, the Seagull Readers offer a compact and affordable alternative to larger anthologies. Each volume includes a wide selection of both classic and contemporary works, as well as a thorough introduction to each genre an ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Seagull Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seagull Reader

Frederick
I have had a number of customers request one or another SEAGULL READER. Finally, I noticed that the store was returning THE SEAGULL READER: STORIES. Thinking this was a shame, I decided to buy one. I'm glad I did. It is what it says it is: An anthology "lightly supplemented by editorial apparatus."
These are pretty famous stories, but the introduction, biographical sketches and glossary are unique in that they are to-the-point, informative and, somehow, fresh. His introduction concludes with a li
Crystal
Wow, what a mix of authors and stories! Of the 29, the best in my opinion, Stephen Crane's The Open Boat; Tillie Olsen's I Stand Here Ironing; Alice Walker's Everyday Use; and Updike's A&P. And the worst ... James Joyce's Araby and Chinua Achebe's Uncle Ben's Choice. More than some stories in this collection nearly made me ill - so violent, dark and too realistic! It is interesting to wonder what makes people tick, how they create such things. Especially Charlotte Perkins Gilman and her The ...more
Tiffiane
I had to read 25 short stories from this book for my LIT class. Most were amazing and some were totally confusing. It's different learning how to read something with an analytical mind, instead of just for enjoyment. I understand why my teacher chose this book, because the stories all provoke higher level thinking. You have to think outside the box to understand some of them. Of the stories I read, the 2 most profound for me were Cathedral and Hills Like White Elephants. I highly recommend them.
Katy
Classic, oft-anthologized stories which are good for upcoming fiction writers. Some of my favorites are "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," Sherman Alexie; "The Yellow Wallpaper," Charlotte Perkins Gilman; "Hills Like White Elephants," Ernest Hemingway; "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been," Joyce Carol Oates; and "A&P," John Updike.
Larry
I recently compared a handful of textbooks winnowed down from a much larger list for an Intro to Fiction class. This one did make the final cut. Not bad, but like many collections of this sort too many 'iconic'/'canonic' stories and too few surprises.

Pluses are the clean design (easy on the eyes) and relatively affordable price.
Morgan
Read most of the stories in this thing. I wasn't particularly impressed, honestly. I guess this just isn't the format style for me. A lot of the stories weren't that interesting to me 'Classics' maybe but really, had I not been assigned to read them I wouldn't have read them.
Kate
This is a nice collection of short stories that isn't too large (like so many anthologies). It has a nice range of stories and authors, and also includes a short paragraph intro to each. It would be great for using in high school classrooms.
Noelle
Great combination of short stories. A really handy tool for an English Major as most of these stories are often mentioned in other works.
April
This book was assigned for my comp class, and I've kept it. I like to take it off the shelf and peruse through it.
Maddy
Some were fabulous, some weren't, some were the 'necessary' classics.
Beverly
Ponderous and entertaining stories.
Kevin Gallan
Oct 10, 2010 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
35/360
Tracie Hicks
Tracie Hicks is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
Maddy Hughes
Maddy Hughes marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Erika
Erika added it
Jun 24, 2015
Ngozi
Ngozi added it
Jun 22, 2015
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
MissUnderstood
MissUnderstood marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Taylor Clark
Taylor Clark marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Serafina
Serafina marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Seth Riddley
Seth Riddley marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Deron
Deron is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
  • The Examination
  • Landscape for a Good Woman: A Story of Two Lives
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary
The Seagull Reader: Poems The Seagull Reader: Essays America's Longest Siege: Charleston, Slavery, and the Slow March Toward Civil War The Seagull Reader: Plays The Seagull Reader: Literature