Wicked World

Wicked World

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Welcome to the wild and wicked words of Benjamin Zephaniah! You'll find loads of the cool people who make up our world in this rapping, happening, hop and hip collection. So come and meet Benjamin's friends and you'll soon make lots of new ones of your own!
'Poems that bounce from the page and demand to be read, rapped, sung and hip-hopped aloud. (Independent on Sunday)
Published August 3rd 2000 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published January 1st 2000)

Anita
This collection of poetry by Benjamin Zephaniah takes us on a journey through countries and cultures, celebrating the differences between us and yet showing our similarities. The poet teaches us about the oldest cultures, such as the native Americans in the poems "Before all these cities", "We are the Cherokee" and "Whosland" and the newer cultures and their difficulties, in poems such as "In the Mountains of Tibet" and "We Refugees". The poet brings all of these cultures together in the poem "T...more
Aisha
Benjamin Zephaniah is arguably one of the greatest poets of our time. He brings his vast amount of world knowledge into his work adding a sense of culture, fun and tradition to his poems. What I love most about his work is how every single one of his poems is educational. He promotes good morals and values, teaches equality and fairness, and informs children about serious matters in the world. This is therefore a very useful book in cross curricular links, as it can be used to introduce topics i...more
Nke
Jun 25, 2012 Nke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pgce
I have used Benjamin Zephaniahs book Wicked World to teach poetry to my year 6 class via his poetry books and using the internet to watch the way in which he performs his poetry.
I enjoy the fact that he includes all parts of society and writes about it freely and expressively. Though this was used to teach my year 6 class, I think it can be used across KS2.
I find that reading these poems aloud to the class and using great enthusiasm further captivates the children’s imagination and has helped t...more
Sundeep Purewal
When reading this book I was captivated by the variety in themes throughout the different poems. It takes us on a journey through countries and cultures, celebrating the differences between us and yet showing our similarities. The poet brings all of these cultures together in the poem "The British" which is written in the form of a recipe, which relates to the different cultures that make up Great Britain today. This poem is particularly relevant in Newham where I want to teach.

The author intro...more
Beatrice
Haha , this is the best poetry book I've ever read! He is so talented and it is a pity that he is not as famous as Shakespear .Benjamin Zephaniah makes poetry so much fun and he has collected some of his best poems to put them into a great book!
Bernadette
In this book, the author has collected some of his zany poems about people from all over the world. The poems have great sounds and rhythms and are better when read aloud! Zephaniah has traveled the world and this book includes poems about the Maoris, Chinese, British, Bengali, Cherokee, Kurds, immigrants, refugees, and just people. The poems are intended for children and teenagers.

I truly enjoy this author’s way with words! He uses simple words and sentences, but they have such great rhythm an...more
Jack Scotcher
Benjamin Zephaniah takes us on a journey through countries and cultures, celebrating the differences between us and yet showing we all have a very similar set of values. We are taught about the oldest cultures, such as the native Americans in the poems "Before all these cities", "We are the Cherokee" and "Whosland" and the newer cultures and their difficulties, in poems such as "In the Mountains of Tibet" and "We Refugees". The poet brings all of these cultures together in the poem "The British...more
Den
Mar 11, 2012 Den rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, poetry
I am not really into poetry but this collection of fun and zany poems hits the mark. They teach you things at the same time. All the poems in this collection reflect a culture and teaches kids about something they might not have considered before. This is one book I am buying for the school as it is not just literacy but PSHE and geography too. Like all poetry it is best read aloud. My favourite poems are: Whosland, The British and Variety is the Spice and Voices for Choices.

J-boogie
this book is just funny little poem & they can allways make u smile
...x
Adejudge Aina
Adejudge Aina is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Esther Grace Watts
Esther Grace Watts marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Joshua Riley
Joshua Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Sarah Keskes
Sarah Keskes marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012