Start by marking “Favorite Greek Myths” as Want to Read:
Favorite Greek Myths

Favorite Greek Myths

The Greek myths have intrigued countless generations of readers with their exciting tales of adventure, calamity, and conquest. This entertaining collection — excellently retold for young audiences by Bob Blaisdell — invites children to relive the memorable experiences of familiar characters from Greek mythology.
Taken directly from the writings of Homer, Hesiod, Sophocles,
Published December 1st 1995 by Dover Publications (first published April 22nd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Greek Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Greek Myths

Ben
Jul 24, 2013 Ben rated it liked it
Lawrence Ferlinghetti has said, "I come from a New York generation which was before the Beat Generation, a generation that assumed that you would know the allusion when you referred to such things as Prufrock or Stephen Dedalus, Maud Gonne or Godot, Penelope’s unraveling her knitting at night, or Dover Beach or Walden Pond, or 'lilacs last in the door-yard bloom’d.'" Times certainly change, as do literary tastes, but I fear that too few people would get these allusions today. I share stories lik ...more
Nayira
Nov 04, 2015 Nayira rated it liked it
This is a very easy-to-read collection if you want to review some of the famous Greek Myths.
My favorite story is Troy. I have been styding these books with my students, so it's a good excuse to find some short reads during the so not enough time that I have lately.

Good thing it is fiction, cause I don't like the Gods thing, but the adventures are brave characters are pretty cool.
Roslyn Ross
Jul 22, 2016 Roslyn Ross rated it really liked it
Fine intro to the Greek myths. My 4 1/2 year old loved it. Especially the stories about the battle of Troy and Odysseus. It occurs to me that whereas stories like the Odyssey are boring for high schoolers, 4-year-olds LOVE it, it's like gold, as good as Spiderman.
Kim Hawkins
Apr 22, 2015 Kim Hawkins rated it liked it
A nice quick read that gets you back up to date with the many different greek myths!
Carlos
is good
Sajjad A. Mohammadi
Jun 14, 2014 Sajjad A. Mohammadi rated it liked it
Not a bad boo. Short and quick. I would say a very good one for kids to get familiar with some terms and terminologies in Greek mythology. Although, I would have liked it better if it didn't cut the Trojan war and Heracles' adventures to a very short note; same is true for the whole Odysseus's adventurous trip back home from the war.
Upom
A sweet and short review of historical Greek myths, somewhat edited for children. Good way to refresh yourself on these topics, especially The Iliad and the Odyssey.
Marah
Sep 30, 2008 Marah rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
The writing is so convoluted that sometimes I didn't even understand, and I know these myths already! My kids were lost.
Max Anadon
May 11, 2009 Max Anadon rated it liked it
Could be a quick read for or to children. Very brief, but a refresher of highlights if you know the stories.
lucinda pierce
lucinda pierce is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Anibal Barnett
Anibal Barnett marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Lisa Dominick
Lisa Dominick marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Karl Elliott
Karl Elliott rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
AB
AB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Alexa Henn
Alexa Henn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Breana
Breana marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 26, 2016
Reid Ginoza
Reid Ginoza marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jul 05, 2016
Joel Leeson
Joel Leeson rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Brian Doyle
Brian Doyle rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Eva
Eva added it
Jun 18, 2016
miss kelly drummond
miss kelly drummond rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Iain Gardiner
Iain Gardiner rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Manuela
Manuela marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bob Blaisdell is a published adapter, author, editor, and an illustrator of children's books and young adult books. He teaches English in Brooklyn at Kingsborough Community College. He is a reviewer for the San Francisco Chronicle and Christian Science Monitor and the editor of more than three dozen anthologies for Dover Publications. Email him at Robert.Blaisdell@Kingsborough.edu
More about Bob Blaisdell...