Start by marking “Favorite Greek Myths” as Want to Read:
Favorite Greek Myths

Favorite Greek Myths

The Greek myths have intrigued countless generations of readers with their exciting tales of adventure, calamity, and conquest. This entertaining collection — excellently retold for young audiences by Bob Blaisdell — invites children to relive the memorable experiences of familiar characters from Greek mythology.
Taken directly from the writings of Homer, Hesiod, Sophocles,
Published December 1st 1995 by Dover Publications (first published April 22nd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Greek Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Greek Myths

Jul 24, 2013 Ben rated it liked it
Lawrence Ferlinghetti has said, "I come from a New York generation which was before the Beat Generation, a generation that assumed that you would know the allusion when you referred to such things as Prufrock or Stephen Dedalus, Maud Gonne or Godot, Penelope’s unraveling her knitting at night, or Dover Beach or Walden Pond, or 'lilacs last in the door-yard bloom’d.'" Times certainly change, as do literary tastes, but I fear that too few people would get these allusions today. I share stories lik ...more
Sajjad A. Mohammadi
Jun 14, 2014 Sajjad A. Mohammadi rated it liked it
Not a bad boo. Short and quick. I would say a very good one for kids to get familiar with some terms and terminologies in Greek mythology. Although, I would have liked it better if it didn't cut the Trojan war and Heracles' adventures to a very short note; same is true for the whole Odysseus's adventurous trip back home from the war.
Nov 04, 2015 Nayira rated it liked it
This is a very easy-to-read collection if you want to review some of the famous Greek Myths.
My favorite story is Troy. I have been styding these books with my students, so it's a good excuse to find some short reads during the so not enough time that I have lately.

Good thing it is fiction, cause I don't like the Gods thing, but the adventures are brave characters are pretty cool.
Roslyn Ross
Jul 22, 2016 Roslyn Ross rated it really liked it
Fine intro to the Greek myths. My 4 1/2 year old loved it. Especially the stories about the battle of Troy and Odysseus. It occurs to me that whereas stories like the Odyssey are boring for high schoolers, 4-year-olds LOVE it, it's like gold, as good as Spiderman.
A sweet and short review of historical Greek myths, somewhat edited for children. Good way to refresh yourself on these topics, especially The Iliad and the Odyssey.
Max Anadon
May 11, 2009 Max Anadon rated it liked it
Could be a quick read for or to children. Very brief, but a refresher of highlights if you know the stories.
Sep 30, 2008 Marah rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
The writing is so convoluted that sometimes I didn't even understand, and I know these myths already! My kids were lost.
Brian Doyle
Brian Doyle rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Hiram rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Jarom Atwater
Jarom Atwater rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Amy Locitzer
Amy Locitzer rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Zac Miller
Zac Miller rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Tasha rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2013
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
jameson craig
jameson craig rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Andrea McNamara
Andrea McNamara rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Sarah Mcsweeney
Sarah Mcsweeney rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Sarah Anderson
Sarah Anderson rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Deanna rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2008
Marjola Cevi
Marjola Cevi rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Youran Seo
Youran Seo rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Greg Stillwagon
Greg Stillwagon rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Brooke Thomas
Brooke Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Karl Elliott
Karl Elliott rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Isabella rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Carrie Ward
Carrie Ward rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
john jeffs, Rosalind Jeffs
john jeffs, Rosalind Jeffs rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Sherese rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bob Blaisdell is a published adapter, author, editor, and an illustrator of children's books and young adult books. He teaches English in Brooklyn at Kingsborough Community College. He is a reviewer for the San Francisco Chronicle and Christian Science Monitor and the editor of more than three dozen anthologies for Dover Publications. Email him at
More about Bob Blaisdell...