Favorite Greek Myths

Favorite Greek Myths

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Here are twelve Greek myths, retold in an accessible style and magnificently illustrated with classic elegance. Full color.
Published May 1st 1989 by Scholastic Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Greek Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Greek Myths

Zia
I think it's dumb how she uses the Roman names of the gods instead. The book is called "Favorite GREEK Myths", not "Favorite Roman Myths". If it's a book about Greek mythology, she should use the Greek names. It confuses me, and it's really annoying.
Stephanie
Calificación: ★★

Buscando entre mis libros de cuando estaba en el colegio me tope con algunos de los de torre de papel; escogí el de Mitos griegos ya que no me acordaba de haberlo leído.

El gran pecado de este libro: Los nombres de los dioses
Aunque el titulo habla de dioses "griegos" todos los nombres de los relatos tienen los nombres en su versión romana...
WHY?!
No lo entiendo, por cuantas manos debió de pasar el libro en su proceso de publicación y ni una sola alma se indigno con este detalle; s...more
Andrea
So far, this is my favorite of Greek mythology children's books. I liked the illustrations and the stories were told with more fluid story language rather than just choppy retelling. The one thing I didn't like was the use of the Roman names. I think it is because these stories are from later in history so it makes sense but it just makes it hard for me to keep things straight :)
Kim
Even though this is titled "Greek" myths, the author uses the Roman mythology names in the book. Very disappointing in that respect.
Ensiform
Osborne, the author of the Magic Tree House books, retells twelve stories of Greek myth in a very slim (75 not very dense at all pages) volume for children. As in Enid Blyton’s collection, these are tales mostly well-known to Western culture, also mostly from Ovid’s Metamorphoses: Orpheus and Eurydice, Echo and Narcissus, Midas’ greedy wish, Persephone and Hades, the ill-starred love of Cupid and Psyche. She also includes a few obscurities: Arcus, who shot his mother while hunting after she had...more
Alexandra Aguirre
myths, fables, & legends

So far this has been my favorite book. I must admit to being a bit biased because I absolutely love Greek mythology. I find it so fascinating and entertaining to hear the stories that explain the unknown. Greek Mythology was something I remember always reading growing up. The book was a collective book of many myths. One of my favorite is "Chariot of the Sun the story of Phaeton and Helios."This story explains how the god of the sun and his son entered a terrible disa...more
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific collection of Greek myths, short stories that are the perfect length to read with children. The illustrations are very nice and convey the age of the stories. The only problem I have with this book has been critiqued by other reviewers here. I do not like that the author has chosen to use the Roman names. It just seems odd that the book's title announces "Greek" myths, but then uses the different names. Oh well, at least we had fun 'translating' them into the names we know so...more
Kim
I had to give up reading this; the Roman / Greek / English identity crisis drove me to distraction.
Lisa Overberg
While Osborne chose to use Roman names instead of Greek for the myths, they are a well-told introduction to this genre. Troy Howell's illustrations depict the gods' adventures and provide images for young readers who know nothing about Phaeton's chariot of fire or King Midas' gold touch. The book concludes with a list of gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus as well as the mortals who appear in this collection. It also gives examples of words that have origins in mythology.

Genre: myths
Reading leve...more
Cher
This was my favorite bedtime read while growing up. The artwork is gorgeous and the tales detailed without being too dry. Before I could read by myself, my mom would read the stories while I placed myself into the artwork, creating new stories within my head. Now 20 years later I still cherish this text, using it in classroom lessons for both high schoolers and middle schoolers because of how accessible Osbourne writes the tales.
Molly
The stories and illustrations were pretty good. What I really didn't like was that the tales were actually Roman, when it said that they were Greek(hence the title). The book used Roman names and it said that most of the stories were retold from a book written by a Roman writer. I like Greek stuff better than Roman, so that took away from the stories.
Keith
Beautifully illustrated.
Ivy
This book has some great retellings of Greek myths. The illustrations are lovely. I just wish that she used the Greek names instead of the Roman. It is perplexing based on the title. Other than that I have no complaints. A nice companion to add to D'Aulaires' books for kids when doing Greek mythology.
Beth Hermes
Jun 06, 2010 Beth Hermes marked it as to-read
Shelves: international
I used this book during my student teaching in order to teach Greek Mythology. It was used for lower level students. The stories were quick intereseting and easy to understand. It can also be used for supplimental work. I would recommend this book, especially for teachers.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I LOVE GREEK Mythology! This was a fabulous Children's reference book, a lot of basic information in a shortened form. I used this as a refresher for myself and for a introduction to my kids. Only problem is some of the names were in their Roman version.
Samantha González
¡MI TEMA FAVORITO! Si hay algo que amo son los mitos griegos, puedo leerlos una y otra vez. Como los griegos se ingeniaban para darle un por qué a todo y la humanización de los dioses que deja muy en claro que la perfección no existe.
Lisa
Feb 09, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th grade readers and up
Excellent version for my 6th grade classroom. Challenging vocabulary, and of course interesting themes! Had encouraged great discussion during our reading block because kids were easily able to connect with the text.
10-11 Isabella
This book was awesome! I really love Greek myths and this book was very detailed. I learned a lot of new information that I never read about in other books about Greek myths.! I recommended it for myth lovers!
Jennie
We read this together as part of our mythology kick we have been on. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed all the detailed end notes. I would like her to put together another one with more stories.
Julio sweet
I personally loved this book it has many of the Greek myths inside.Like the child of Helios.Even the tale of cupid and phyce they share how their love prevails against Aphrodite's wrath
Adrianna
Greek Mythology is something I have always been fascinated by,and this collection of greek myths was a great treasure to share with my little sister in the hours before the new year!
Dorey
I WHAT TO COUNT THIS AS TWO BOOKS, IT HAS LIKE 5 MYTHS!!

Some of the your favorite Greek myths all in one book!
I'm not a fan of greek myths.
For everyone.
Jane Baldwin
These are some of my favorite retellings. My only complaint is that the author used the Roman names for the gods. This is very confusing for children interested in mythology.
Josh
This is a good book for people who r tryin to learn more about Greece, and Greek myths! And it gives som people that already kno stuff about the Greek myths, more knowlege!!
Pamela Burdick
I was only going to put adult books on here, but my kids and I enjoyed these stories so much I wanted to add this in here as well. What a fun book to share with my kids.
Andd Becker
Eleven myths by Ovid and one myth by Apuleius appear in this beautifully illustrated book. Mary Pope Osborne retold the myths, and Troy Howell illustrated them.
Glenda
I bought this from my son's scholastic book order. I thought it would be interesting to have and read while I read The Lightning Thief series.
I fell in love with Greek mythology because of this book. And I knew all the references when I read Homer, Virgil, Milton, etc., in college!
Megan
Keep in mind that I just picked a random date that I finished it because I only know that we finished it in March.
Jennifer Bartlett
The author seems to be confused between Greek and Roman mythology. The gods and goddess get mixed up.
  • Greek Myths
  • The Beasties
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • The Trojan War
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)