Start by marking “Favorite Greek Myths” as Want to Read:
Favorite Greek Myths

Favorite Greek Myths

Here are twelve Greek myths, retold in an accessible style and magnificently illustrated with classic elegance. Full color.
Published May 1st 1989 by Scholastic Press (first published 1988)

Oct 22, 2014 Soli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Buscando entre mis libros de cuando estaba en el colegio me tope con algunos de los de torre de papel; escogí el de Mitos griegos ya que no me acordaba de haberlo leído.

El gran pecado de este libro: Los nombres de los dioses
Aunque el titulo habla de dioses "griegos" todos los nombres de los relatos tienen los nombres en su versión romana...
No lo entiendo, por cuantas manos debió de pasar el libro en su proceso de publicación y ni una sola alma se indigno con este detalle; si
May 14, 2009 Zia rated it really liked it
I think it's dumb how she uses the Roman names of the gods instead. The book is called "Favorite GREEK Myths", not "Favorite Roman Myths". If it's a book about Greek mythology, she should use the Greek names. It confuses me, and it's really annoying.
Mar 22, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool, mythology
Even though this is titled "Greek" myths, the author uses the Roman mythology names in the book. Very disappointing in that respect.
Jul 04, 2013 Dali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for young an old a like.
Isabel Jazmín
Feb 10, 2016 Isabel Jazmín rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me gustaron mucho estas versiones de los mitos griegos, me pareció que son claras y con un lenguaje sencillo. Creo que al dividir por capítulos y dedicar cada uno a un solo mito es mucho más fácil entenderlos y diferenciar a los personajes.
Bell Vallone
Dec 03, 2014 Bell Vallone rated it it was ok
I read it first when I was a child and I really liked it. But now, 9 years later, that I read Rick Riordan's series Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus,and did a lot of research about the greeks and romans Gods.I realized that Mary Pope Osborne called her book "Greek Myths" but used lots of Roman names for the Gods. Most Gods had not only different names in greek than in latin, but they had different personalitys too. For the romans,the gods were more like soldiers ready por war. For the greeks ...more
Aug 14, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
So far, this is my favorite of Greek mythology children's books. I liked the illustrations and the stories were told with more fluid story language rather than just choppy retelling. The one thing I didn't like was the use of the Roman names. I think it is because these stories are from later in history so it makes sense but it just makes it hard for me to keep things straight :)
María Greene
Mucho ruido y pocas nueces. Los mitos originales, por supuesto, son muy buenos, pero son tan resumidos (algunos) que se pierde la mitad de la magia. Además, son tantos mitos, que se pierde la idea general. Cuando yo di este libro en clases (soy profesora) y pedí dos ejemplos, más de la mitad de los niños no se acordaban de ninguno porque al final se le mezclaban todos. Es fome. Sería mejor tomar dos o tres mitos y realmente desarrollarlos bien. Elegir algunos que no tengamos que censurar tanto ( ...more
Amy Rae
The illustrations in this book are so beautiful, and the retellings are really nicely written. It's genuinely breaking my heart to give this book two stars.

Unfortunately, it's a terrible resource from any but the most narrowly literary perspective.

The source notes are almost non-existent. A vague comment on "who wrote the Greek myths," along with a list of words derived from the Greek language, is not a quality source.

And most annoyingly, Osborne mixes in the names of Roman deities throughout t
Sep 16, 2013 Ensiform rated it liked it
Osborne, the author of the Magic Tree House books, retells twelve stories of Greek myth in a very slim (75 not very dense at all pages) volume for children. As in Enid Blyton’s collection, these are tales mostly well-known to Western culture, also mostly from Ovid’s Metamorphoses: Orpheus and Eurydice, Echo and Narcissus, Midas’ greedy wish, Persephone and Hades, the ill-starred love of Cupid and Psyche. She also includes a few obscurities: Arcus, who shot his mother while hunting after she had ...more
Feb 20, 2015 Kellyanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
A great introduction to Mythology. I had the pleasure of meeting the author at a conference earlier and she spoke of this collection fondly. I enjoyed these stories. Also included are appendices, which are definitely a good reference - it offers both the Roman and Greek names of the characters, descriptions, and a short bibliography of other mythological works. My one quibble is that the Roman names were using in text as opposed to the Greek names.
Some of the stories were too sad or too scary for my just-5 year old. Maybe we'll revisit the book again closer to Kindergarten.
He was fine with The Golden Touch and The Mysterious Visitors.
He cried with Chariot of the Sun God, Lost at Sea, Journey to the Underworld.
The Weaving Contest's ending was very disturbing to him.
I did not read Apollo's Tree, The Face In the Pool, The Kidnapping, The Great Bear, The Golden Apples, or The Four Tasks to him. Saving those for a later time...
Jan 21, 2015 Isis rated it really liked it
This book was my introduction to Greek mythology as a child. Very nice collection of the stories, and written in engaging prose. As others have mentioned, the Greek names would have been preferable; however, overall, great for a first exposure to some of the more famous tales.
Accessible, kid-friendly versions of popular Greek myths, including a short list of modern words with Greek origins, as well as a who's who of gods, goddesses, and mortals appearing in the selected tales.
Ideal for readers8 years and up.
Mar 14, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok
I was wanting to refresh my memory on some of the Greek myths and this book did so but a few of the stories seemed quite a bit different from what I remember and I was irritated that the author used the Roman names throughout.
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific collection of Greek myths, short stories that are the perfect length to read with children. The illustrations are very nice and convey the age of the stories. The only problem I have with this book has been critiqued by other reviewers here. I do not like that the author has chosen to use the Roman names. It just seems odd that the book's title announces "Greek" myths, but then uses the different names. Oh well, at least we had fun 'translating' them into the names we know so ...more
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖shut me up already✖
Awww. Me acuerdo cuando lo leí (hace unos 4 años). Quizá lo relea pronto, e imperdonable que los nombres de los Dioses estén sean las versiones romanas.
Sep 29, 2016 Juan_Santi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
es muy interesante pero algunos cuentos son un poco aburridos para nosotros el mas interesante es el del toque dorado
Aug 14, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
This was my first mythology book. So despite the flaws it may have, I will always love it.
Irene Yeahyeah
May 31, 2016 Irene Yeahyeah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
me lo regaló mi abuelo cuando era muy chica y siempre lo vuelvo a agarrar porque lo amo mucho
Sandy Sopko
Sep 28, 2014 Sandy Sopko rated it it was amazing
I LOVE mythology, and Greek mythology especially -- what an excellent book of myths!
Sep 15, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded
I had to give up reading this; the Roman / Greek / English identity crisis drove me to distraction.
Junaid Jalil
Jan 09, 2016 Junaid Jalil rated it really liked it
Sarah Bynum
May 12, 2016 Sarah Bynum rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
This is an excellent book to read to children. Probably the best youth Greek Mythology I've yet stumbled upon. The tales are simplified enough for children to understand and be entertained by but without sacrificing the essential lessons of the myth. The illustrations are very pretty. I didn't take much umbrage with the Roman names being used because it is explained in the introduction that all the tales are taken from Ovid. Some of the stories, such as Athena & Arachne, don't even survive o ...more
Lisa Overberg
Sep 22, 2013 Lisa Overberg rated it liked it
While Osborne chose to use Roman names instead of Greek for the myths, they are a well-told introduction to this genre. Troy Howell's illustrations depict the gods' adventures and provide images for young readers who know nothing about Phaeton's chariot of fire or King Midas' gold touch. The book concludes with a list of gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus as well as the mortals who appear in this collection. It also gives examples of words that have origins in mythology.

Genre: myths
Reading leve
Feb 26, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book as it went into great detail about all the Greek mythology.
This was my favorite bedtime read while growing up. The artwork is gorgeous and the tales detailed without being too dry. Before I could read by myself, my mom would read the stories while I placed myself into the artwork, creating new stories within my head. Now 20 years later I still cherish this text, using it in classroom lessons for both high schoolers and middle schoolers because of how accessible Osbourne writes the tales.
Álex Oliva Silva
Está en el plan lector de mi colegio. A pesar de tener un tema tan interesante, el planteamiento de las historias es aburrido y me aburrí bastante.

Dice ser una recopilación de mitos griegos, pero los nombres de los personajes corresponden a los dioses romanos; además, suaviza demasiado algunas historias que por esencia son pérfidas, como la del Rey Midas o la historia de Dafne y Apolo.
Aug 09, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
The stories and illustrations were pretty good. What I really didn't like was that the tales were actually Roman, when it said that they were Greek (hence the title). The book used Roman names and it said that most of the stories were retold from a book written by a Roman writer. I like Greek stuff better than Roman, so that took away from the stories.
Jan 17, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing
  • The Greek Myths: Vol. 2
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • Greek Myths
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland
  • The Greek News
  • Ancient China (Eyewitness Books)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • In Search of a Homeland : The Story of the Aeneid
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
More about Mary Pope Osborne...