Start by marking “Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk” as Want to Read:
Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  80 reviews
You can find our culture's obsession with avoiding risk everywhere, from multiple insurance policies to crash-tested vehicles. But is ducking risk the most productive way for us to live? Surgeon and author Dr. Ben Carson, who faces risk on a daily basis, offers an inspiring message on how accepting risk can lead us to a higher purpose.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Take the Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Risk

Adrienna
Ben Carson discussions are about his neuroscientific experiences, and how he lost some of his clients in OR, but still relies on God to help him save lives. How we have to take risks?
1. Everything is Risky
2. More we know, more we worry
3. A lot of risks aren't worth the worry
4. we can't eliminate all risk
5. minimizing risk is oten the best we can do
6. acceptable risks
7. not all risks are bad
8. all going to die

Furthermore, he speaks about his life in Detroit like he did in his other book "The Big
Victor Nyachieo
Another Great book I read this year was “Taking the Risk” by Ben Carson.
When we look at today’s culture we see a world of people who like to play it safe, who like to do just enough to get by. In the book by Ben Carson he teaches you how to take risks, not the life threatening risks like jumping of a building and seeing if you can land the jump, but the risks that take you to a high level of success.
Prior to the writing of this book, Carson was approached with a lot of questions about whethe
Jeanette
World Renown paedatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson gives his approach to assessing risk using gripping examples from his own "at-risk" childhood, his personal life and professional career - especially with ground breaking operations such as separating cranial co-joined twins. There is no doubt that Ben Carson knows something about risk taking!

Many of his examples of risk assessment and risk taking overlap content in his previous books, however I appreciated these practical and gripping examples of
Patrick
I learned of Ben Carson after my daughter was encouraged by her teacher to watch the made for TV movie about Dr Carson, with Cuba Gooding Jr in the starring role. Shortly thereafter I saw this book at Costco, and bought it.

The book is part motivation and part autobiography.

If there was ever an 'at risk' youth, it would be Carson. Growing up with his brother in a single parent home, with an illiterate mother, in a very poor and violent neighborhood in inner city Detroit, Carson was a poor studen
Joel
Very well written perspective of the risks most of us face in our everyday lives. Dr. Carson offers a professional spin on risk taking. He is among the neurosurgeons on a team who in 2003 attempted to separate a pair of Iranian twins conjoined at the head. The twins were 29 years old and old enough to accept their choice to be separated as a calculated risk. Ultimately, the risk they took ended in hemorrhaging, organ failures, and death. However, it could've been easily seen as a risk worth taki ...more
Christopher M.
This was a very interesting book on risk-assessment, presented as an autobiography. The first few chapters I found to be particularly engaging and compelling, as we see an at-risk child become an accomplished neurosurgeon. The rest of the book travels through Carson's life and professional career, helping to justify his assertion about the best way to determine what are acceptable types and levels of risk. The topics covered seemed at times to have a bit of an agenda, and were often hodge-podgey ...more
Vallentino J. Rehatta
The 4th book of Dr. Benjamin Carson, a famous neurosurgeon and director of pediatric neurosurgery department at John Hopkins Hospital Baltimore telling me about how to take a risk when no one be able to do that.

He tell stories about several operation procedure that he and his team perform in the effort of saving children who severe condition in their brain. And he admit God involve in each of his work, after he give it up to the higher Creator.

Its a must to read this, especially for those who in
Susan
Ben Carson with Gregg Lewis / Take the Risk
Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

Dr. Ben Carson, professor of neurosurgery, plastic surgery, oncology, and pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, has co-authored three previous books about his own experiences, with emphasis on what others can learn from them. He has a new book now (summer 2014) about the future of America.

This book is - obviously - about risk, relying heavily on Carson’s personal, academic, and prof
Anitra
This book really has me rethinking my current path. By doing his simple BWA, you can bargain on whatever risk you encounter easily. I really enjoyed the experiences embedded in this book and I had a hard time putting it down. I was most moved by his inclusion of faith in taking risks. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is at a crossroads in life and contemplating risks. It will make you view them through an new light and not become paralyzed by fear of risks.
Jonathan Linquist
Though occasionally repetitive on the B/WA, I found this book to be extremely encouraging in not just my physical life, but also my spiritual life. He drives home the point that nothing good in life comes without risk and Ben Carson offers a logical and simple solution of the B/WA. This book shows that in a society where not taking risks is becoming the norm, many won't reach their full potential in any discipline because of their fear of the possibilities of failure.

Rachael
Interesting look at the implications of being a culture that has attempted eradicate any type of risk. Where's the adventure in that?
Marie
Not a literary masterpiece, but offers sound advice and a formula for making decisions.
Ben Zornes
In a culture that wants to bubble-wrap our kids, eat gluten & MSG free, as well as hand-sanitize everything, and yet doesn’t see the problem of the bigger risks facing us (i.e. $17 trillion debt, failing education, and horrendous health care system), the calm and collected voice of Dr. Ben Carson is rather refreshing. He also has a great first name! Dr. Carson gained notoriety for being the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate twins conjoined at the head. I, however, first heard of hi ...more
Elbert2008
Nov 19, 2008 Elbert2008 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elbert2008 by: my mother
This is the best book for you to read if you have a hard time taking risks. This book is sort of a Bibliography and it also teaches the reader about life. This book is great for young people because they have not yet exspereanced the hardships of life. Take The Risk by Ben Carlson is the best bibliography I have ever read, even though this is he only bibliography I have read.

This book was written to show people how to take and handle risks. Mr. Carlson, the author of the book has had a lot of
I really enjoy the stories of this famous pediatric neurosurgeon. I've been inspired and given lots to think about from reading his work. He appears to be a very dedicated Seventh Day Adventist and have a brilliant mind. He actually uses his mind to try and figure out answers to some of the world problems like improving education, helping everyone be able to afford medical care, taxes, parenting, etc.

In this book he shares some of the same stories from his earlier book "Gifted Hands" but he shar
Rachel
What I liked: I liked the section where he discussed evolution vs creationism, he put across very eloquently the assertion that believing in evolution requires faith as much as believing in creationism does. His work as a medical scientist is also pretty cool.

What I didn't like: his life seemed a little bit more like a load of lucky breaks than just sound risk analysis - he was given more opportunities than most and seized them, and his experiences are not representative of most people's (and s
Kirsten
"odds that you will die at some point in your life: 1 in 1. thus, you might say the greatest, most significant, and universal risk factor in death is being born. this implies that it really isn't very helpful to approach the subject of risk by focusing on how we might die; rather, it's far wiser to consider how we should live and what risks we will live with."

"far better is it to dare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much." - t. roosevelt

"it al
Clifton
May 28, 2008 Clifton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone from high school to the retirement home
This is a powerful book that really discusses risk thoroughly, both on personal and social levels. Dr. Carson's basic theme is the B/WA, or Best/Worst Analysis, which is a tool he uses to determine whether or not a risk is worth taking. The B/WA tool asks four questions:

-What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DO this?
-What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DO this?
-What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DON'T do this?
-What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DON'T do this?

It
Fred & Marlene
Jul 07, 2008 Fred & Marlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is absolutely one the best books on risk you will ever read. Dr. Carson is a world famous brain surgeon that had very humble beginnings in the slums of Detroit. Raised by an illiterate mother, when his grades started to fall, she made Ben and his brother read two books a week and give her the report. This sparked his thirst for knowledge and made him cool in the classroom.

He shares his best/worst analysis to analyzing risk. What is the Best/Worst thing that can happen if I do this? What is
Tom Mcshane
Unfortunately I read this after reading Gifted Hands and Carson's America the Beautiful and it was by far the weakest of his books I've read (the other two are excellent books). There's a tremendous amount of overlap with his other books, mostly Gifted Hands so I didn't feel like I was reading new ideas or new material. I felt like most of this book was a rehash with a risk spin applied to it. He's a good writer and a clear communicator but there were not many new ideas here that haven't been pr ...more
Rebecca
So wish I'd read something like this years ago. Dr. Carson lays out a very simple plan to enable anyone to move forward with any life changing decision. I think every middle, high school, and college student should be given a workshop on this topic at orientation.
Emily
I wish this book was about 1/4 as long. The valuable information I got from this:
As a hesitant risk-taker who usually thinks of most risk taking like blindly jumping off a cliff, I liked his analysis of risk taking: to consider the best/worst case scenarios of taking/not taking a risk and then determine from there if it makes sense to do. This is so simple, yet was really valuable for me to see. His other useful advice? Train yourself to take your ego out of the equation when doing this analysis
Larry
Ben Carson is a devout and outspoken evangelical Christian believer, director of pediatric neurosurgery, and full professor of neurosurgery, plastic surgery, oncology, and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, Maryland. He sits on the boards of directors of several major corporations and founded, along with his wife Candy, the "Carson Scholars Fund" to encourage bright students, and "Angels of the OR", which helps families that cannot afford medical care. He was rais ...more
Sergei Nemirovsky
This is really an autobiography under a misleading title. Dr. Carson is a very accomplished surgeon who definitely had to overcome a lot. So if you want to learn about his life this book might be of interest. However, IMO, it does not help in "learning to identify, choose and live with risk" as its subtitle suggests. Granted, he mentions the standard "Best-Worst" approach, but you don't need to read a volume to get that concept. Carson also emphasizes the prayer as part of his risk-taking proces ...more
John Darsey
I like Dr Ben. A clear thinker, articulate, accomplished, he explains how he arrived at his method of risk assessment- What's the best (or worst) that can happen if I do (or don't do) this?
Chrystal Flerchinger
It's a very basic concept that Dr. Carson proves. An easy book to read, it has many engaging stories and examples of this concept in practicum.
Scott Tsao
Dr. Ben Carson introduced a method for "Risk Analysis" call B/WA (Best and Worst Analysis) and provided many practical examples of using this method throughout his career. On a larger scale, he also applied this method in human relationships (e.g., parenting), faith in God, and a number of pressing issues such as healthcare, taxation, political correctness, and nuclear proliferation. It is note-worthy that most of these examples reflect his deep-rooted and faith-based value system. As such, the ...more
I would recommend this book to anyone navigating the often mysterious motives behind the behaviors of seemingly rational human beings. If you honestly think about the risk/no reward actions people engage in, as opposed to engaging in minimal risk/potential maximum reward behaviors, you realize people don't make much sense. That is why our health care costs are so high. It is also why our economy is in the tanker. I learned an awful lot about the practice of medicine & the positive behaviors ...more
Michael
I like the author's simple best/worst approach to making important decisions. Dr. Carson shares how it's been very helpful to him throughout his medical career and personal life.

This approach involves four questions: What's the best thing that can happen if I do this? What's the worst thing that can happen if I do this? What's the best thing that can happen if I don't do it? What's the worst thing that can happen if I don't do it? After answering the questions, it's then up to you to weigh the
Kay
Only half the way through. Loving this book. It's answering many of my questions and helping me to organize my thoughts concerning the idea of risk taking. I'll update this as I read more. This is a book I'm going to purchase for my own library. I finished the book awhile ago. Thought it was very good. I'll recommend his writing and this will be in my personal library.
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front
  • Lives in the Balance: Nurses' Stories from the ICU
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power
  • A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State
  • The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Yahweh's Chosen (Dahveed, #1)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • God's Missionary
  • My Name is Hope: Anxiety, depression, and life after melancholy
  • Freedom Shift: 3 Choices to Reclaim America's Destiny
  • Scripts People Live: Transactional Analysis of Life Scripts
  • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.
More about Ben Carson...
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America's Future The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

“the doors of the world are open to dose who can read.” 12 likes