Start by marking “Atlantis and Other Places: Stories of Alternate History” as Want to Read:
Atlantis and Other Places: Stories of Alternate History

Atlantis and Other Places: Stories of Alternate History (Atlantis)

A one-of-a-kind collection from the New York Times bestselling "maven of alternate history." (San Diego Union- Tribune)

A famous naturalist seeks a near-extinct species of bird found only on the rarest of lands in "Audubon in Atlantis." A young American on a European holiday finds himself storming an enchanted German castle in "The Catcher in the Rhine." The philosopher
Published December 7th 2010 by Roc (first published September 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Atlantis and Other Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlantis and Other Places

Judy
I really liked the first and last stories of these alternative history short stories. The first story centered on Audobon's trip to Atlantis (America). The last story found "Helms and Walton" a duo eerily reminiscent of Holmes and Watson but visiting Atlantis to solve a case. Both were very enjoyable and cleverly written stories. The selections in-between were also good, but didn't capture my imagination like the two I have mentioned.

I've been wanting to read Turtledove ever since I read my firs
Jane Debano
Oct 24, 2011 Jane Debano rated it really liked it
Alternate History is a genre that asks the question – what if our history had taken a different track? What if the Nazis had won WW II? What if the South had won the Civil War? Harry Turtledove is the Grand Master of this type of science fiction/fantasy and this collection of stories is proof of his skill. What if Atlantis was a real place with exotic animals found nowhere else and John Jacob Audubon went to sketch and paint them before they went extinct? What if Roosevelt had the tabloid press ...more
Marla
Oct 16, 2011 Marla rated it it was ok
I liked "Audubon in Atlantis", it really conveyed Audubon's sadness at a species going extinct, his quest to find one before they do while on what might be his last trip like this, and also that he has to kill one for scientific purposes which means he's helping to hasten their end.

I've never read Sherlock Holmes so I'm not sure how close Turtledove's Helms and Dr Walton are to their counterparts, but I found them a bit snobbish and stuck up even, though I did like his slight alteration of their
B.  Barron
Jan 25, 2013 B. Barron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Rating the individual stories independently. Overall its a solid 3:

“Audubon in Atlantis" - *** - Solid and entertaining story.

"Bedfellows" - *** - Progressives wet dream about Bushie and Osama in love, but it was funny.

"News from the Front" - ** - Hard to follow but a Right-wingers wet dream about how WWII might have gone if the press treated FDR like they did Bushie.

"The Catcher in the Rhine" - *** - Solid.

“The Daimon" - **** - History geeks like me will like it.

"Farmers' Law" - *** - Solid.

"O
Joel Flank
Feb 17, 2014 Joel Flank rated it really liked it
A fun collection of short stories. The title is a bit of a misnomer, as two of the stories are set in Atlantis and tie into his Atlantis trilogy, the other 10 are not. I was expecting roughly half of the book to flesh out other times of the Atlantis timeline, with a sprinkling of other unrelated stories.

That being said, the stories were a good mix of whimsical, and serious, with a good variety of tones, including pastiches of Catcher and the Rye, Sherlock Holmes, and WWII era news reporting. My
John
Mar 23, 2014 John rated it liked it
Mike
Jan 13, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read typical work by Harry Turtledove read a different book.
After reading others by this author then read this one. Think of this as a collection of short story ideas that never made it to being a book, instead kept short and not fully baked into a complete book length work. I don't know how he wrote this. It might of been the emptying of a closet full of old ideas collected across many years. If instead, he sat down to write this in one blast, his brain must have been on somethin
Mike Kanner
Aug 04, 2015 Mike Kanner rated it liked it
Shelves: alt-history
As with many collections, there is some variation in the quality of the stories. A problem is that as a fan of Turtledove, I am used to his alternate histories based on known events. Since a number of these stories deal with the existence of Atlantis ("Audubon in Atlantis", "The Scarlet Band") or of mythical creatures ("The Horse of Bronze", "The Genetics Lecture"), he enters the realm of fantasy more than alternate history. This is true also for the story "Catcher in the Rhine" which transports ...more
Aug 23, 2012 Judy rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish it. When there are so many good books waiting to be read, why should I waste my time?
Steve
Apr 29, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
I've read several Turtledove alternate history books, hoping he would actually explore different "What-if's" instead of just telling a war story with different alliances and foes. If you like this formula, there are several stories like that in this collection. For me, I enjoyed the stories that deviated from this pattern. So, the two Atlantis stories, "Audubon in Atlantis" and "The Scarlett Band," are two of my favorites, as well as the humorous "The Genetics Lecture" and "Someone is Stealing t ...more
Dale
Jul 21, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tantor audio
Read by Todd McLaren
14.5 hours

Called a “Master of Alternate History” by Publishers Weekly, Harry Turtledove continues on that track with a set of 12 short stories. Topics and eras range from pre-history to the Peloponnesian War to the Byzantine Empire to World War II and two stories set in modern times. All of these stories have appeared in other publications.

This collection begins and ends with two stories about Atlantis, a topic he has explored more deeply in a trilogy. “Audubon in
Aaron
Jan 09, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it
This volume collects a number of alternate history short stories that were originally written and published in magazines or collections between 2000 and 2007. The title is drawn from the first and last story in the collection. Each returns fans to the world of Atlantis, which Turtledove as designed as being made up of a good chunk of the North American east cost. He has designed a popular series that has taken readers up through what is equivalent to the American Civil War. The first of these tw ...more
Fantasy Literature
Sep 12, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
Atlantis and Other Places is a collection of short stories published over the last ten years, in which Harry Turtledove does his best to showcase the freedom offered to writers of alternate history. Just ask “what if” and see what happens. For example:

What if 21st century news media existed during World War Two? What if centaurs suddenly discovered humans? What if complex intelligence had evolved in mollusks instead of people? They’re interesting ideas and it’s tough not to be curious about what
Zach Smith
Oct 14, 2014 Zach Smith rated it really liked it
This is the first of anything I have read by the prolific alternate history mavis Harry Turtledove (love the name, actually his birth name too, which is surprising), and I have to say I am sufficiently hooked. It is generally understood that prolific writers fall into the category of Quantity over Quality, however Mr. Turtledove, judging by this book at least, does not fit into this model. The stories were quite good and quite clever. However the longer stories for the most part are not nearly a ...more
Dawn
Aug 07, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most of these very much (The Daimon did drag on a bit, as did Audobon in Atlantis) as I've been a sucker for alternate histories most of my life. Hadn't picked up much of Turtledove before, but will be picking some up from here on.

I will be reading the Atlantis books and would like any other books set in the world of Occupation Duty (so many little details that should be followed up on--Green Hammer, Sword Buddha, etc, etc), but not sure if there are any.

The Genetics Lecture, hands-dow
Brian Eshleman
Sep 17, 2014 Brian Eshleman rated it it was ok
Not bad, but it reminded me of the concept from The West Wing of taking out the trash, bunching stories together on the date when no one was paying attention to the news so that the flaws in a particular one would not be detected. None of these tales were particularly well developed, even for the space they allotted.
Shannon
Mar 31, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection. Turtledove's Atlantis is a what-if world... what if the eastern seaboard broke away from the mainland in geologic time? Different evolutionary history, plants and animals, and... naturally, once discovered by Europeans, a different human history as well. The Atlantis stories are complemented by others, most notably one about mythological creatures meeting humans for the first time. Centaurs, specifically, in this case, going to the island of Britain to find out why th ...more
Leons1701
Just finished this, and I have to say, I really do like Turtledove's short fiction better than his novels most of the time. No repeated scenes to pad out the work and a lot fewer sex scenes (Harry can't write a good sex scene at all). Still, I felt most of these pieces from the last ten years were substandard work. Perhaps I'm just tired of seeing familiar events transposed into alternate settings, a common failing of Turtledove's work. So for example, I liked Uncle Alf a good deal more than Occ ...more
Matthew
No rating. I couldn't generate enough interest to keep read it.
Jack Alexander
Jan 13, 2015 Jack Alexander rated it it was ok
The premiss of an alternate history is good, but I found this was a bit silly.
Dena
Jun 07, 2016 Dena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I listen to these alternative history tales, I was fascinated, horrified, and intrigued. Mr. Turtledove has a way of showing how different life would be if history had taken a different turn at pivotal moments in time.
La Tricia Ransom
Unimaginably boring! I stopped halfway through the second story.
David R.
Aug 28, 2011 David R. rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories by Harry Turtledove. Like his recent full length works, it ranges from the clever and fascinating (e.g. "Occupation Duty" and "Horse of Bronze" to pedestrian (e.g. "Audubon in Atlantis" and "Farmer's Law") to just plain awful (e.g. "Lesson in Genetics" and "Bedfellows") When Turtledove is good, he's very good indeed. When not...it's embarrassing. Fortunately the good outweighs the bad and it's a decent collection even for the non-fan.
Christa
Mar 22, 2012 Christa rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
It's rare for me to give up on a book, but I had a hard time getting into the first story in this collection of short stories, and the next two just turned me off completely. I will probably give Turtledove another chance in a different series, but this was not for me.

I found the first story to be a little too low-key and dry to really engage me and the next two were very political... something that I don't particularly enjoy regardless of the views put out there.
Suz
Apr 18, 2011 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-jan-june
Good book! This is a collection of stories speculating on what might have happened if the outcomes of key historical events had been different. I liked reading these "alternate histories" and imagining how the world would be changed. I didn't realize this was #4 in a series and might have liked this more if I had read books 1-3 first but overall, it was a good stand alone book too. I would definitely recommend it!
Feb 05, 2012 Judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, kindle
Aubudon in Atlantis - parallelled what happened in early natural history collecting.
News from the Front - cetainly was a parody of the Iraq wars and President Bush
The Genetics Lecture had a fun twist at the end.
Uncle Alf - interesting twist on Adolf Hitler
The Scarlet Band - a Sherlock Holmes parody
Other stories in collection not really worth mentioning.
Diana
In alternate history, one needs to learn something unexpected yet persuasive, that sheds light on what we believe we already know, not simply play a “what if?” game.

See my full review here: Atlantis and Other Places: Review on Dreams & Speculation.
Adrian Moran
Nov 17, 2014 Adrian Moran rated it really liked it
Uneven, but enjoyable. There was one short piece I truly disliked, but the rest all had their merits. The Atlantis stories were very engaging.
S
Jul 31, 2011 S rated it it was ok
if the first tale is any indication of what's to come, you're in for a slow, drawn out, unremarkable read. this book and the tales are interesting in theory, but the execution is so weak and predictable that i'm putting this down after two stories.
Brentman99
Nov 11, 2013 Brentman99 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who liked Turtledove's Atlantis series.
I liked this book becauase it did a great job of adding even more to his wonderful world of Atlantis. It's nowhere as near as mythical as other works, which makes it stand out more for me. I enjoyed this short story addition to the series.
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Alternate Presidents
  • Himmler's War
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Weaver
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • Stars and Stripes Triumphant (Stars & Stripes, #3)
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The Paradise Prophecy
  • What Ifs? of American History: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been
  • Empire Rising (Trident Deception, #2)
  • Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Tomorrow Happens
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Atlantis (3 books)
  • Opening Atlantis (Atlantis, #1)
  • The United States of Atlantis  (Atlantis, #2)
  • Liberating Atlantis (Atlantis, #3)

“Well, I might even get used to the idea that she had no tail.” 3 likes
“He said, “You misunderstand. We did not kill the nuggies and the other folk hereabouts. They see us, and then they commonly die.”
“Of what?” I asked.