A Hazard Of Hearts

A Hazard Of Hearts (A Saga of Hearts #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Her freedom lost on the turn of a card, Serena is bound by a debt of honour to marry Justin, Marquis of Vulcan. After her arrival at his ancestral home of Mandrake, she discovers by chance the secrets of his family, and is thrust into a world of smugglers, highwaymen, abduction and murder.
Paperback
Published April 8th 1988 by Pan Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Hazard Of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hazard Of Hearts

Peregrina651
Barbara Cartland is the queen of romantic pulp fiction; she is the anti-Georgette Heyer. She wrote only two books in her career--this one and the other hundreds that she she cranked out like sausage on a monthly basis, all with the same plot,the same characters and a choice of settings (modern or historical). I should know; I gobbled them up as a teenager. My sisters and I were planning to write our own Barbara Cartland; we wanted to call it My Heart Pumps. But,fortunately for the world of ficti...more
Mira
I finished reading Hazard Of Hearts two months ago and totally loved it. The characters are well-written, flexible and variably responsive to the developments of the plot, and I enjoyed the double perspective which revealed the inner thoughts and feelings of the two antagonistic characters, Serena, and the Marchioness. I admit that the turns of the plot were not wholly convincing at some points, and some even felt implausible and a bit too dramatic for my taste, but the story is written with suc...more
Mutia
One thing I like about Cartland's books is her stories always have historical background.

Hazard of Hearts is fascinating and successfully keeps me glued to it, and I daresay this is one of the best books she writes---Lord Vulcan is awesome, the plot is quite complex, and I like it when the lovey-dovey scene is put at the end of the story, which makes the whole story 'dignified'.

And I've just realized that Madame never used such word as "orgasm", instead she replaced it with "heavenly".
Marie
One of my favorites of Lady Cartland's books. It also has a very nice movie (Helena Bonham Carter plays the main role) by the same name. Orphan, wealthy and beautiful, Serena will have to be strong and brave to discover what dark secrets hide in the house of Mandrake and in the heart of the Justin.
D.w.
Normally I would not read Cartland but I came across some of the plot whilst researching the Regency Era and then saw similarities there that forced me to investigate the book. Before getting it I saw the cheesy film version which is much more readily available in the teens of the 21st century then the book is.

Where once Cartland was recognized as a queen of the genre, i do not think she holds up well. We have added more history and attention to the details of the period than Ms. Cartland seeme...more
LaFleurBleue
By far the best Barbara Cartland I read.
Good plot, interesting characters that are not overly simplified, as can be.
A very good historical romance, which I recommand. It is obviously demure.
Carolyn
Carla
I don't believe I'm saying this but I liked the movie better. It was slow in some parts while quick in others. The hero was dreamy, of course, and the heroine young and naive. I gather I'm just cynical. Maybe if I'd read this book when it was first released I would have a different opinion, as it stands, this book was just meh to me.
Teinevai
There was a time in my teens where I was really into Barbara Cartland and I read a lot of her books, problem is, is that I can't remember what most of the titles were and now thinking back about it most of the books were similar the only difference was change of hero/heroine names and perhaps location.
Toni NB
I unabashedly love this book. Something about it is so sweet and endearing.
Strangerealms
It might sound strange but I prefer the background love story between the brother (or the cousin) of the heroine and a lady he has his eyes on, it's much more interesting than the main boring love story between the heroine and the guy she ends up with.
Harman
I LOVE BARBARA CARTLAND'S ALL NOVELS. THIS ONE WAS GREAT. SHE HAD SUCH MAGIC IN HER HANDS THAT SHE TRANSPORT YOU TO ANOTHER WORLD. YOU DONT READ IT BUT YOU SEE IT, DRINK IT , SLEEP IT DIVE IN IT.
WORDS ARE LESS TO DESCRIBE BARBARA CARTLAND'S WORKS.
Carrie M.
I was fooled by Helena Bonham Carter´s excellent interpretation. Poor writing, obvious plot. Not so bad I have read it while breaks of painting my new room, which will not accept bad literature anymore.
Syarifah
I looked for this book for ages after watching the drama adaptation with Helena Bonham Carter and Marcus Gilbert. When I finally got a copy of this book and read it, it was even better. :)
Linda
This was made into a made of Tv movie back in the 1980's. I saw the movie and decided I had to find the book. My friend Anne actually found it and bought it for me.
Girl
Very dark for Barbara... but I loved it!!!
Madalina Bolos
Madalina Bolos marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Chin Lee
Chin Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Reza
Reza is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Traphan
Traphan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jada
Jada marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jennyffer Paz
Jennyffer Paz marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Omobolaji
Omobolaji marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • An Honorable Thief
  • Bared
  • The Rose Red Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #2)
  • Challenging Dante (A Bride For A Billionaire #4)
  • Deeper than Desire
  • Gypsy Lady
  • Acts of Love
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • Devil's Bargain
  • Foxfire Bride
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • Charleston
  • Olivia's Luck
  • The Silver Rose (The Dark Queen Saga, #3)
Dame Mary Barbara Hamilton Cartland was a English writer, during her long career, she wrote over 700 books, making her one of the most prolific authors of the 20th century. She sold over 1,000 million copies throughout the world, earning her a place in the Guinness Book of Records. The world's most famous romantic novelist, she also wrote autobiographies, biographies, health and cookery books, and...more
More about Barbara Cartland...
The Wicked Marquis The Duke and the Preacher's Daughter A Gentleman in Love The Love Pirate A Rhapsody Of Love