Start by marking “A Hazard Of Hearts” as Want to Read:
A Hazard Of Hearts

A Hazard Of Hearts (A Saga of Hearts #1)

Serena Staverley was happy at Staverley Court. She loved to roam the stately gardens of her family manor and dream of her future love.

But then a cruel fate dealt her a shattering blow. Her father was killed in a duel after losing her hand, her inheritance and her home in a game of cards. All this was now the property of the infamous Lord Justin, Marquis of Vulcan -- a man
Published April 8th 1988 by Pan Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Hazard Of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hazard Of Hearts

Mira
I finished reading Hazard Of Hearts two months ago and totally loved it. The characters are well-written, flexible and variably responsive to the developments of the plot, and I enjoyed the double perspective which revealed the inner thoughts and feelings of the two antagonistic characters, Serena, and the Marchioness. I admit that the turns of the plot were not wholly convincing at some points, and some even felt implausible and a bit too dramatic for my taste, but the story is written with suc ...more
Marie
Jul 01, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites of Lady Cartland's books. It also has a very nice movie (Helena Bonham Carter plays the main role) by the same name. Orphan, wealthy and beautiful, Serena will have to be strong and brave to discover what dark secrets hide in the house of Mandrake and in the heart of the Justin.
Syarifah
May 20, 2013 Syarifah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I looked for this book for ages after watching the drama adaptation with Helena Bonham Carter and Marcus Gilbert. When I finally got a copy of this book and read it, it was even better. :)
Mutia
Oct 24, 2009 Mutia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I like about Cartland's books is her stories always have historical background.

Hazard of Hearts is fascinating and successfully keeps me glued to it, and I daresay this is one of the best books she writes---Lord Vulcan is awesome, the plot is quite complex, and I like it when the lovey-dovey scene is put at the end of the story, which makes the whole story 'dignified'.

And I've just realized that Madame never used such word as "orgasm", instead she replaced it with "heavenly".
LaFleurBleue
By far the best Barbara Cartland I read.
Good plot, interesting characters that are not overly simplified, as can be.
A very good historical romance, which I recommand. It is obviously demure.
Neringa Neringiukas
I find about this book, when first I saw movie. And I loved the movie. So, I got the book and love it too. Watched & read many times.

Serena lost everything, when her father lost a game of cards. She lost not only her home, but her father and herself. Her father was hooked on gambling and in the moment of weaknes, he pawned his own, only daughter. And then, don't being able to face up, what he done, he shoot himself. Yeah, I'm pissed here too. Put his own daughter on game of cards, lose her a
Carolyn
Jul 01, 2011 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.w.
Apr 06, 2014 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Normally I would not read Cartland but I came across some of the plot whilst researching the Regency Era and then saw similarities there that forced me to investigate the book. Before getting it I saw the cheesy film version which is much more readily available in the teens of the 21st century then the book is.

Where once Cartland was recognized as a queen of the genre, i do not think she holds up well. We have added more history and attention to the details of the period than Ms. Cartland seeme
MissKitty
Jun 20, 2016 MissKitty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to read a lot of Barbara Cartland - they're all fluff.

This one is much better. It has a very gothic feel and there is a lot of meat to the story. Truly evil villains, mystery and action.

The hero is a bit aloof but it's in keeping with his character and he is always tender towards the heroine. The heroine is also appealing. Although young, she is capable and level-headed, she also doesn't unnecessarily martyr herself.

All in all pretty good read. WAY better than the cheesy movie adaptation,
Teinevai
Jul 14, 2014 Teinevai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a time in my teens where I was really into Barbara Cartland and I read a lot of her books, problem is, is that I can't remember what most of the titles were and now thinking back about it most of the books were similar the only difference was change of hero/heroine names and perhaps location.
Carla
Apr 11, 2014 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe I'm saying this but I liked the movie better. It was slow in some parts while quick in others. The hero was dreamy, of course, and the heroine young and naive. I gather I'm just cynical. Maybe if I'd read this book when it was first released I would have a different opinion, as it stands, this book was just meh to me.
Harman
Jun 10, 2011 Harman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE BARBARA CARTLAND'S ALL NOVELS. THIS ONE WAS GREAT. SHE HAD SUCH MAGIC IN HER HANDS THAT SHE TRANSPORT YOU TO ANOTHER WORLD. YOU DONT READ IT BUT YOU SEE IT, DRINK IT , SLEEP IT DIVE IN IT.
WORDS ARE LESS TO DESCRIBE BARBARA CARTLAND'S WORKS.
Strangerealms
Jun 21, 2010 Strangerealms rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It might sound strange but I prefer the background love story between the brother (or the cousin) of the heroine and a lady he has his eyes on, it's much more interesting than the main boring love story between the heroine and the guy she ends up with.
Carolina Morales
Dec 17, 2012 Carolina Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fooled by Helena Bonham Carters excellent interpretation. Poor writing, obvious plot. Not so bad I have read it while breaks of painting my new room, which will not accept bad literature anymore. ...more
Linda
Jan 10, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
This was made into a made of Tv movie back in the 1980's. I saw the movie and decided I had to find the book. My friend Anne actually found it and bought it for me.
Mauricia
This book is with me.. i've loved it.
Debby
Apr 24, 2016 Debby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
One of my favorites by this author.
Nadosha
I like it better than the movie it is so good book
Girl
Jul 12, 2013 Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very dark for Barbara... but I loved it!!!
Seeta Alathba
شاهدتها كفيلم جميل قبل أن أقرأها
وكانت حكاية لطيفة في الصورتين المُشاهدة والمقرؤة
Sandra
Oct 23, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stars. The movie was better.
Happysunshine
Happysunshine rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Calli
Calli rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Eva Tkáčiková
Eva Tkáčiková rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
Ravine Nasim
Ravine Nasim rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Andrew Durnion
Andrew Durnion rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Soraya
Soraya rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • Gallant Waif
  • Doing No Harm
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun (Dominick, #3)
  • A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds
  • The Other Side Of Paradise
  • Legacy (Journeys of the Stranger #1)
  • My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles, #6)
  • Hitch
  • The Fifth Kiss
  • Stranger in the Night & Runaway Wife
  • Amber Scott Is Starting Over
  • Across A Starlit Sea (Chandlers of Highclyffe Hall, #2)
  • The Silver Devil
  • Unconquered
  • A Gothic Treasure Trove
  • Golden Palaces (The Royal Pavilions #2)
Dame Mary Barbara Hamilton Cartland was a English writer, during her long career, she wrote over 700 books, making her one of the most prolific authors of the 20th century. She sold over 1,000 million copies throughout the world, earning her a place in the Guinness Book of Records. The world's most famous romantic novelist, she also wrote autobiographies, biographies, health and cookery books, and ...more
More about Barbara Cartland...

A Saga of Hearts (2 books)
  • A Duel of Hearts