Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door” as Want to Read:
How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door

by
3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A re-titled, repackaged edition of a modern classic in career-building With business bestsellers like How to Become CEO, Jeffrey Fox is unsurpassed when it comes to empowering readers to gain the edge on the competition. But before you can run the company, you have to get your foot in the door -- and in How to Land Your Dream Job, a repackaged, re-titled edition of Don't S ...more
Hardcover, 192 pages
Published January 2nd 2007 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2001)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about How to Land Your Dream Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Land Your Dream Job

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 358)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
TarasProkopyuk
May 10, 2015 TarasProkopyuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: talks, marketing, 0el, business
Для тех кто ищет работу, возможно книга будет просто находкой! Для умных и целеустремлённых людей она будет хорошим проводником к желаемой компании и должности в ней.

Что касается работодателя, или людей проводящих отбор кандидатов в сотрудники я также очень рекомендую данную книгу. Почему? В первую очередь с её помощью вы определите подлинный облик лидеров стремящихся на ту или другую должность, что позволит отсеивать посредственных людей, которые могут казаться хорошими специалистами. Да и ещё
...more
Juliana
I'm giving it 3 stars not because it's a bad book (it's actually quite good for its purpose - not all the ideas are new, but the book is concise and to the point), but because it's depressing as hell. Between being compared to a cereal box all the time (which is true, companies see us as a product - no news here) and the amount of effort it goes to sell myself successfully to an employer and get an awesome job (the amount of research he advises you to do prior to even sending a resume is insane, ...more
Nick
Jul 28, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, own
Fox has many helpful tips in this small volume. Some of them I had read in other books of this nature and others I had not. There was enough original material here to make me glad that I was reading it. Plus, he offers examples of what he means by a: resu-letter, boomerang letter, and a pre-call planner. He coaches his readers on how to navigate trick questions that interviewers design to test an interviewer in thinking on your feet or handling stress. After he says, "these interviews are stupid ...more
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dec 04, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
«Нетрадиционные советы тем, кто хочет найти работу своей мечты» или одним словом продать себя с помощью методов маркетинга. Так можно охарактеризовать ещё одну книгу Джеффри Дж. Фокса «Не торопитесь посылать резюме». Фокс показывает, как пройдясь практически по всему плану маркетинга, в отношении такой сферы как рекрутинг, можно найти работу выше среднего. Ну, или как минимум потратить меньше времени на её поиск. Эта идея, т.е. использование маркетинга по отношению к самому себе – не нова. Об эт ...more
Joshua
Oct 29, 2015 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite fact about books by Fox remains that they are some of the quickest reads available to get instant tips on what actions to take to maximize your work life. I can finish any text by Fox in a matter of hours, and this readability makes it an excellent companion for goal setting. However, I'm not quite so confident that after the rise of LinkedIn this remains as helpful "contrarian advice" as it may have been on its first printing. Many of chapters follow similar advice from Napoleon Hil ...more
Mj
Straight forward. Easy to read. The author writes in a direct, crisp and upbeat manner. The gist of the book is that you are the product and you need to sell yourself to prospective employees.

Fox recommends avoiding sending resumes to everyone but rather doing lots of homework on the 5 or so companies where you think you would like to work. When you've prepared, go directly to the top to the decision makers. Bypass human resource personnel. You get invited to a meeting in response to a customize
...more
Kevin
Nov 02, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
At first, The book throws out a weird vibe and seems like an odd infomercial. How ever if you have a sales background, and stick through about 2-3 chapters in. You can relate to his comparison on how to go about landing a job by breaking down your steps into similar step you would take from opening to closing a sale.

I really was going to stop reading but did push on it does get better and better, i promise. Oh, And if you think you already know how to go through the steps of a "sale" when YOU a
...more
Ilya Mrz
Jan 09, 2015 Ilya Mrz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms, 2015
sell yourself like a product. give a value first!
differentiate
Ben
May 12, 2015 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great underlying message. not particularly well written.
Santosh Kalwar
okay... easy read...some good alternative points!
Letisue
Jun 01, 2015 Letisue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tips, clear and easy to follow.
Marsha
Apr 21, 2009 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice quick job tip book and that's what I like... short, sweet and to the point. Basically, the author reminds us that we are selling ourselves to a potential employer. We are the product, i.e., the cereal in a box. We have to remember that we need to show them how we can solve the employer's problems. He describes how to try to make the sale (via a personal resume and cover letter), and how to close it (by asking for the job and sending thank you letters).
Christine Buffalow
Interesting perspective about treating the job-search process as one would treat sales, where YOU become the thing you are selling. I definitely gleaned some useful ideas and techniques from this book and plan to implement them into my search process. However, some of the things he suggested probably won't be particularly useful to me as I don't think I have enough expertise to pull them off. But hopefully I can gain some traction with the ideas I can use.
Brian
Sep 22, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, practical advice on job hunting. It got my creative juices flowing and helped me think about different ways to stand out. The overall message of the book: getting a job is a sales effort and just sending a resume is the equivalant of sending junk mail. Good advice overall.

Four stars because it ignored one of the most plentiful source of new jobs today: executive recruiters (headhunters).
Maximo Ares
Amazing book for job seekers. It has very concise information which are very useful. Quick read and very well written. Practice all of what is said in the book and you will land your dream job.
Keith Brooks
Dec 28, 2013 Keith Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
More dogeared pages and full of ideas to make your creative mind think differently. Would like a newer edition with modern times as this is from 2001 before resumes became useless.
Lori Jean
there are a lot of good tips and ideas in this book that i will take to heart. however alot of it doesn't apply when you are looking at service industries. how exactly do you productize or dollarize kids in group homes? anyway i find the book helpful in general.
Juliecs
Stuck on a cover letter? Preparing to make a cold call for a "informational interview"? This is a great book to peruse for proactive and positive job search techniques, albeit a little macho.
Liesl
Feb 28, 2008 Liesl rated it liked it
This is a decent guide to getting the job you want. It does have some unconventional strategies that can help you break through the recruiting bureaucracy and get noticed.
Will Jeffries
Apr 25, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book, I thought to myself "this book must have been fun to write" - but not as enjoyable to read. Nevertheless, it had some good pointers and tips.
Sarah
Jan 13, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a good audio book.
Gabriel
Jul 08, 2013 Gabriel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has some "new" ideas that might help you write your CV or upgrade your current CV. It's worth reading.
Shannon
Aug 02, 2015 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fix-me
Eh.

I just hate books like this, especially when too many of the tips are obvious/blatantly unhelpful.
Veronica
Sep 23, 2014 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
If you want a job, a good job, you have to do, do diligence! Here are some good suggestions.
Michael
Mar 11, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-business
A no-nonsense creative approach to landing a job. Very good, and it can be read in one sitting.
Jerel Bonner
Apr 10, 2016 Jerel Bonner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you read this and SPIN Selling you'll always be able to land your dream job.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it liked it
An optional-read book on how to have passion in work.
Gabriel Meneses
Gabriel Meneses marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Co-Opetition
  • The 100 Best Business Books of All Time: What They Say, Why They Matter, and How They Can Help You
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job, Your Career, and Your Life
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government

Share This Book