Start by marking “How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door” as Want to Read:
How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door

How to Land Your Dream Job: No Resume! And Other Secrets to Get You in the Door

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A re-titled, repackaged edition of a modern classic in career-building With business bestsellers like How to Become CEO, Jeffrey Fox is unsurpassed when it comes to empowering readers to gain the edge on the competition. But before you can run the company, you have to get your foot in the door -- and in How to Land Your Dream Job, a repackaged, re-titled edition of Don't S ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Land Your Dream Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Land Your Dream Job

TarasProkopyuk
Для тех кто ищет работу, возможно книга будет просто находкой! Для умных и целеустремлённых людей она будет хорошим проводником к желаемой компании и должности в ней.

Что касается работодателя, или людей проводящих отбор кандидатов в сотрудники я также очень рекомендую данную книгу. Почему? В первую очередь с её помощью вы определите подлинный облик лидеров стремящихся на ту или другую должность, что позволит отсеивать посредственных людей, которые могут казаться хорошими специалистами. Да и ещё
Nick
Fox has many helpful tips in this small volume. Some of them I had read in other books of this nature and others I had not. There was enough original material here to make me glad that I was reading it. Plus, he offers examples of what he means by a: resu-letter, boomerang letter, and a pre-call planner. He coaches his readers on how to navigate trick questions that interviewers design to test an interviewer in thinking on your feet or handling stress. After he says, "these interviews are stupid ...more
Mj
Straight forward. Easy to read. The author writes in a direct, crisp and upbeat manner. The gist of the book is that you are the product and you need to sell yourself to prospective employees.

Fox recommends avoiding sending resumes to everyone but rather doing lots of homework on the 5 or so companies where you think you would like to work. When you've prepared, go directly to the top to the decision makers. Bypass human resource personnel. You get invited to a meeting in response to a customize
Kevin
At first, The book throws out a weird vibe and seems like an odd infomercial. How ever if you have a sales background, and stick through about 2-3 chapters in. You can relate to his comparison on how to go about landing a job by breaking down your steps into similar step you would take from opening to closing a sale.

I really was going to stop reading but did push on it does get better and better, i promise. Oh, And if you think you already know how to go through the steps of a "sale" when YOU a
Ilya Mrz
sell yourself like a product. give a value first!
differentiate
Ben
great underlying message. not particularly well written.
Santosh Kalwar
okay... easy read...some good alternative points!
Letisue
Good tips, clear and easy to follow.
Marsha
This was a nice quick job tip book and that's what I like... short, sweet and to the point. Basically, the author reminds us that we are selling ourselves to a potential employer. We are the product, i.e., the cereal in a box. We have to remember that we need to show them how we can solve the employer's problems. He describes how to try to make the sale (via a personal resume and cover letter), and how to close it (by asking for the job and sending thank you letters).
Christine Buffalow
Interesting perspective about treating the job-search process as one would treat sales, where YOU become the thing you are selling. I definitely gleaned some useful ideas and techniques from this book and plan to implement them into my search process. However, some of the things he suggested probably won't be particularly useful to me as I don't think I have enough expertise to pull them off. But hopefully I can gain some traction with the ideas I can use.
Brian
Good, practical advice on job hunting. It got my creative juices flowing and helped me think about different ways to stand out. The overall message of the book: getting a job is a sales effort and just sending a resume is the equivalant of sending junk mail. Good advice overall.

Four stars because it ignored one of the most plentiful source of new jobs today: executive recruiters (headhunters).
Keith Brooks
More dogeared pages and full of ideas to make your creative mind think differently. Would like a newer edition with modern times as this is from 2001 before resumes became useless.
Lori Jean
there are a lot of good tips and ideas in this book that i will take to heart. however alot of it doesn't apply when you are looking at service industries. how exactly do you productize or dollarize kids in group homes? anyway i find the book helpful in general.
Juliecs
Stuck on a cover letter? Preparing to make a cold call for a "informational interview"? This is a great book to peruse for proactive and positive job search techniques, albeit a little macho.
Liesl
This is a decent guide to getting the job you want. It does have some unconventional strategies that can help you break through the recruiting bureaucracy and get noticed.
Will Jeffries
When I read this book, I thought to myself "this book must have been fun to write" - but not as enjoyable to read. Nevertheless, it had some good pointers and tips.
this is a good audio book.
Gabriel
It has some "new" ideas that might help you write your CV or upgrade your current CV. It's worth reading.
Shannon
Eh.

I just hate books like this, especially when too many of the tips are obvious/blatantly unhelpful.
Veronica
If you want a job, a good job, you have to do, do diligence! Here are some good suggestions.
Michael
A no-nonsense creative approach to landing a job. Very good, and it can be read in one sitting.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on how to have passion in work.
Suyash Agrawal
Suyash Agrawal marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Jakub
Jakub is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
Bogdan Florin
Bogdan Florin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Anthony L. Haskins
Anthony L. Haskins marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Mihaela
Mihaela marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jenger
Jenger marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job
How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth How to Become a Marketing Superstar: Unexpected Rules That Ring the Cash Register