Start by marking “10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor” as Want to Read:
10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor

10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Following up his 10 Books That Screwed Up the World, author Benjamin Wiker brings you 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor. Offering a guide to some of the most important literary works of our time, Wiker turns his discerning eye from the great texts that have done so much damage to Western Civilization to the great texts that could ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Regnery Publishing (first published May 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read

Fr. Ryan Humphries
Jun 13, 2016 Fr. Ryan Humphries rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a must-read for every serious thinker. The title is bad. Really bad. I hate the title! Conservatism is a misnomer in a lot of ways. Wiker's text and it's sister Ten Books That Screwed Up the World: And Five Others That Didn't Help are much like Chesterton's Heretics and Orthodoxy.

This text is a cogent, reasonable journey through history and literature which guides you through the foundational philosophy of government, family, society, economics and imagination of what Wiker calls conser
Erneilson
Dec 26, 2014 Erneilson rated it really liked it
My late father was a conservative and during my growing up years we had long discussions about what he saw as the problems with our society, which he attributed largely to the liberalism starting with the late Depression era government beginning of FDR, continuing into my generation. Having read this book, I fully agree with Dad.
Troy Lizenby
Jan 12, 2016 Troy Lizenby rated it it was amazing
Found this gem in the local library and am confounded why I have never heard of it. The author masterfully surveys the landscape of classical conservatism by explicating and applying the writings of conservative authors from Aristotle to Voegelin, from Tocqueville to Belloc, from Burke to Hayek, from the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers to C. L. Lewis and Tolkien. He gives an admirable synopsis of the message of the Bible, and commends Shakespeare’s The Tempest and Jane Austin’s Sense and S ...more
Ray
Jun 22, 2011 Ray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Books abour politics, or about religion tend to be judged based on the bias of the reader. A book might be considered "excellent" if it supports your personal persuasion, or "awful" if contrary to your beliefs. And that may have little to do with how well researched, or how well written the book might be. So I believe it's probably nearly impossible to objectively rate books on these subjects, but I'm really trying.

Try as I did, I just couldn't get into this book. I was hoping for a book which
Don
Sep 11, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a GREAT book and worth 5 stars. I read Wiker’s previous book Ten Books that Screwed Up the World, and I looked forward to any similar work. I was not disappointed. Several times while reading I thought to myself, “I’m loving this!”

Wiker provides an excellent introduction to help us understand how the terms conservative and liberal have changed over the centuries, lest we jump to the mistaken assumption that yesterday’s liberal is also today’s liberal. (They are not.)

He outlines that he w
Stan Shelley
Aug 24, 2012 Stan Shelley rated it it was amazing
Written by a very bright Catholic academic so it is more about philosophic conservatism than about nuts and bolts political conservatism.
The ten are:

Lord of the Rings is in the extra 4

Excellent b
Russell Hayes
Sep 19, 2015 Russell Hayes rated it it was ok
This was a decent survey of conservative literature and philosophy, but didn't live up to the author's first book, "Ten books that screwed up the world." Two unfortunately named books, but they both put forward a strong conservative worldview and offer cogent counters to the prevailing left wing materialists, relativists, Marxists, etc.
Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar
Jan 16, 2015 Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar rated it really liked it
Un buen libro para quien quiera conocer más de cerca el significado del movimiento conservador. Muy especialmente para quien quiera ir más allá del significado de la defensa de la libertad económica y de los mercados libres. El autor examina a 10 autores y un número igual de libros que son buenos ejemplos del conservadurismo implìcito o explícito, a los que añade cuatro obras que pueden causar alguna extrañeza, como Sense and Sensibility de Jane Austen. Finalmente resultará un tanto sorprendente ...more
Craig Adamson
Feb 14, 2016 Craig Adamson rated it liked it
A good primer on the background of the others, the motives and ideas behind the books and then a short synopsis of each primarily focused on what they bring to the discussion.

I enjoyed the book, but not as much as Wiker's books on "The Darwin Myth" and "10 Books that Screwed Up the World." I will prefer actually reading the recommended books to understand better why he chose them and to determine if there are insights I gained that he didn't. I found his reviews of "Democracy in America," "The S
Matthew
Jun 09, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Whether you're conservative or not, this book is well worth the time. Wiker elegantly pulls out the strands of quintessential thinking among the books he chooses as iconic conservative reads. He moves among philosophical, political, and economic theory with ease. And because so many of the books he chooses are practical in nature, he clearly points out the consequences of the foundational theories of the books.

I found his review of the 'impostor' book one of the most interesting, but I'll leave
Jimmy
Jan 23, 2013 Jimmy added it
Originally I was a little reluctant to read it, afraid it was parroting Republican party one-liners but it turns out to be better than expected and the author had a broader focus and was trying to get at something deeper with a "conservative worldview" (though my Van Tillian framework would say he needs to go further in the development of a worldview to be thoroughly Christian and Reformed). Thus, the lists of books he covered are not necessarily political books as some may think of it, but more ...more
Jonathan B
Sep 02, 2013 Jonathan B rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
Dr. Wiker gives a nice summary of some important works in conservative thought. This includes some works of fiction, like Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Shakespeare's The Tempest. If you hate spoilers, like me, you may want to read these works yourself before reading Dr. Wiker's summaries and analysis. The final chapter is an expose' of Ayn Rand. He spends more time on her biography than he does with some of the other writers and it would feel like an ad hominem were it not for Dr. Wike ...more
Anthony
Aug 27, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it
I.P.B.
Very insightful analysis of books that can help heal the Western world.

There are a few issues:

1. I basically alreay knew that these books are must-reads.

2. Too little emphasis on the Bible.

3. Should have left out Ayn Rand, since while I agree with Wiker about Rand's Atlas Shrugged, I think there was another book that deserved attention. Something like T.S. Elliot, W. H. Auden, Mystery of Capital, etc.
Deanna
Feb 22, 2011 Deanna rated it really liked it
I REALLY liked this book. I think I just might buy it since I don't want to give it back to the library. This is a great list of books for your young adult learning government (and you). I especially liked the "Plus Four Not to Miss" books. Now I want to reread these books. I was also very pleased with his imposter book. I heartily agreed with that!
Darin
Feb 23, 2016 Darin rated it really liked it
Well-written and excellent for what it is... But its value comes in reading the recommended books. Books about other books always have such a flaw.
Bernie
Apr 11, 2012 Bernie rated it really liked it
Obviously much more than a list, Wiker reviews the 10 books, and after defining the conservative weltenshaang, details why they uphold a conservative world view. Well done. I've put the books which I haven't yet read on my "to read" list.
Cris
Nov 01, 2014 Cris rated it it was ok
Chad
Sep 04, 2013 Chad rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome! A very smart, well researched, and completely thorough book! EVERYONE should get the chance to read this! Conservatives, liberalists, and everything in-between, all of them!
Matthew Linden
Jul 17, 2010 Matthew Linden rated it it was amazing
My Review can be found here: http://thedawgrun.blogspot.com/2010/0...
Dave Beeman
Jul 01, 2013 Dave Beeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book on books to read if you want to understand the conservative political point of view.
Lana Glover
May 04, 2015 Lana Glover rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Looking forward to reading other books by this author. He knows his stuff.
Caren Arseneault
Mar 27, 2013 Caren Arseneault rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Highly recommend it to everyone!
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Colum
Colum marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Charles Fernando
Charles Fernando rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Evelin
Evelin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Leandro Zis
Leandro Zis marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Craig Scott
Craig Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People
  • Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature
  • The Making of Middle-Earth: A New Look Inside the World of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Winners Never Cheat: Everyday Values We Learned as Children But May Have Forgotten
  • God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
Benjamin Wiker holds a Ph.D. in Theological Ethics from Vanderbilt University, and has taught at Marquette University, St. Mary's University (MN), and Thomas Aquinas College (CA), and Franciscan University of Steubenville.

He is the author of 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help (2008) and co-author of Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God (20
More about Benjamin D. Wiker...